Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Why would they credit her if she wasn't on the song?
It would demonstrate more of a group effort since she does not play an instrument. Otherwise it looks like she showed up to sing 3 songs and have no other input.

I love Stevie's voice especially when she sings back up with Lindsey (Love in Store). But sometimes Chris and Lindsey's voice is perfect together and Stevie would almost ruin that harmony.....Think About Me, Hold Me, Don't Stop, etc.

My belief is that she was in the studio and got credit but I don't think she sang on Hold Me. Even in the video, she is the singer with no singing parts. Maybe she started the painting in the studio and finished it during the video (ok that was a joke people).
Old 04-15-2015, 07:34 AM

I think eventually this is a question for Richard Dashut...
Old 04-15-2015, 07:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post

My belief is that she was in the studio and got credit but I don't think she sang on Hold Me. Even in the video, she is the singer with no singing parts. Maybe she started the painting in the studio and finished it during the video (ok that was a joke people).
She also appears in the "Big Love" video, but does not sing on the recording.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:56 AM
Senior Ledgie

I'm pretty sure I can hear Stevie on Think About Me. It's a song that just begs for her harmony.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My favorite Fleetwood Mac song. It's a forgotten gem. It doesn't get enough love from the band, despite being one of their highest charting songs back in the day. I would have loved for this to be on their set list for this tour to bring it back to life. I'm not sure how true those leaks were we got back before the tour started but if they really did rehearse this song, I would love to hear how they did it.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
My favorite Fleetwood Mac song. It's a forgotten gem. It doesn't get enough love from the band, despite being one of their highest charting songs back in the day. I would have loved for this to be on their set list for this tour to bring it back to life. I'm not sure how true those leaks were we got back before the tour started but if they really did rehearse this song, I would love to hear how they did it.
Well it sounds like there will probably be at least one more tour. Hopefully they can break out that song then and not just drop current songs for new ones and leave it at that.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There's probably a better chance that you will be struck by lightning while picking up your winning lottery ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
Well it sounds like there will probably be at least one more tour. Hopefully they can break out that song then and not just drop current songs for new ones and leave it at that.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:47 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
It was their most successful song at pop radio if I'm not mistaken, which I could be. I remember reading that somewhere. It's also my favorite Fleetwood Mac song. To me, this song best showcases how genius of a producer Buckingham is. It's a song that thrives on the production value.

Last edited by sanders8323; 04-15-2015 at 12:51 PM..
Old 04-28-2015, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Why would they credit her if she wasn't on the song?
Isn't it standard to only credit the songwriters and producers? If there is a contribution from a guest musician or singer, they are credited for legal reasons.

But otherwise, under the collaborative umbrella of Fleetwood Mac, there is no need to state which members sing on each other's songs. The loyalties primarily go the the writers.

Hold Me was one of their big chart hits - a signature Mirage song. And their cool video was very popular at a time when MTV was in its early stage of cultural prominence. The song is featured on all their best of/greatest hits compilations. But it was only performed on their Mirage tour. Given the ensuing changes in the band, I can see how the song fell off their radar. This current tour was the perfect opportunity to revive the song. I wonder if they even discussed the possibility. They played it so safe with the set list, but Hold Me is in their safe zone; it is one of their well known songs. I recently heard it while shopping at my grocery store.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 04-28-2015 at 09:15 PM..
Old 04-28-2015, 08:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There has to be a video of a live performance of Hold me somewhere. Either from the HBO video from 1982 that's all over YouTube or a video of their set from the 1982 US Festival. Other bands entire sets from that show are on YouTube.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The thing I love about Hold Me is that the album track is a testament to 80's music done right. It's got that perfect blend of harmony, melody and quirkiness that made a lot of 80's music so wonderful, with that timeless quality that Fleetwood Mac's music often has. But if you listen to any of the live recordings from when they did it live, it has a distinctive 70's sound. Without all layers and layers of studio trickery that Lindsey has always been so fond of, the stripped down version is denim shorts, feathered hair and halter tops all the way. And I love that live they didn't try to replicate the sound from the album because that could have just been a mess. Live it's actually a lot like the demo, which also has that great 70's feel. I always thought the demo of Hold Me sounds like it could have been on Tusk, except it was a little too happy. LOL.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndoingTheLaces View Post
The thing I love about Hold Me is that the album track is a testament to 80's music done right. It's got that perfect blend of harmony, melody and quirkiness that made a lot of 80's music so wonderful, with that timeless quality that Fleetwood Mac's music often has. But if you listen to any of the live recordings from when they did it live, it has a distinctive 70's sound. Without all layers and layers of studio trickery that Lindsey has always been so fond of, the stripped down version is denim shorts, feathered hair and halter tops all the way. And I love that live they didn't try to replicate the sound from the album because that could have just been a mess. Live it's actually a lot like the demo, which also has that great 70's feel. I always thought the demo of Hold Me sounds like it could have been on Tusk, except it was a little too happy. LOL.
Everything you said is spot on!

I recall my anticipation when I was going to see them for the first time, on the Mirage tour. Having collected numerous live cassette bootlegs, I had great interest in how their studio creations were recreated on stage. So I was particularly interested how they were going to approach Hold Me, since there was no way they could replicate the polish of the record. (With all the support players they tour with now, they could get close.)

I was thrilled with how they translated it with a bit more aggression. Without the polish, it had more of a gritty character, sort of like a Tusk song (as you referenced). The "hold meeees" became "hold me yeah!"

Fleetwood Mac is a studio band as much as they are a live performance band.
The added patches, musicians and singers add more power, nuance and solidity to their performances, allowing the songs to sound more like the records. But I still appreciate the earlier, more simple pre-tech days when it was just the five of them.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 04-29-2015 at 01:03 AM..