Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Boston Review 10/10/14

Sorry, this has been a long time coming. I have to write these things down or I will forget them. As many of us do, when you go to so many FM concerts, some of them blend together.

Well getting tickets for this show was an absolute NIGHTMARE. The ticketing business is absolute GARBAGE. The people who deserve to get seats near the stage always have the most difficult time getting them. Its just a disgrace. So when the presale started and VIP packages become available ($750) we declined. I mean really, Mick? That's a LOT of money, even for someone like me, who is constantly working.

Cut to the week of the show, we still have nothing. I am checking TM every single day. Of course, nothing. We even tried calling StubHub and the people there reassured me that all these tickets would be sent back through Secondary Markets and the tickets would be scooped up. Still, nothing. I am a middle school English Teacher. Every time the bell would ring, I would be checking TM like a madman.

Finally, my mother and aunt bought floor seats on StubHub. I don't know how much they were, but I know they were pricey. I have a wonderful family!

So, anyway, Boston was buzzing with Mac Fever. All of the bars around the Garden were playing Mac tunes. People were chatting about the band everywhere you went. It was really an amazing feeling. The merch stand was pretty crowded. I didn't even bother to look because A: Everything is usually crap and B: the line was enormous.

Walking into the arena was a really amazing feeling. It was very strange to see Christine's keyboard rig. Especially after seeing the Mac so many times without her! I immediately went up to the security gaurd on the floor and asked him if I could stand at the stage (with a 6th row ticket), he didn't even bother to respond. But my seats were great, anyway. Right in front of Lindsey.

The place exploded when the lights went down. I have the say, I was surprised at the average age of concert goers there. I expected A LOT more younger people to be there. With their renewed status of being cool, I thought there would be a younger audience. Maybe they are all up on the rafters because tickets are $200? Why are these tickets so expensive?

Anyway, I'm glad The Chain is back as an opener. Nothing else has ever really trumped it.

One issue of the night was that there was a man who was INSANELY tall standing right in front of me. Needless to say, I was upset. After a week of stress and a 2 hour and 19 minute ride home before the concert, I was in no mood for bullsh*t. There are very few things in this world that I adore as much as Fleetwood Mac. So, needless to say, this made me very upset.

You Make Loving Fun is one of my all time favorite Mac songs and I never thought I'd ever be able to hear it live. The crowd's reaction to Christine was priceless. I love how Lindsey is doing his guitar solo at the end like the album version.

Dreams Sweet baby, Jesus, if I never heard this again I wouldn't shed a tear. However this was one of the very few flubs of the night. The setlist actually is quite amazing.

Second Hand News is a cool choice and definitely gets everyone going. But there WAS time when Lindsey didn't play this. I could see songs like That's Enough for Me or Book of Love projecting the same energy. Also there's really nothing for Chris to do during this song. She should play guitar or drums or hell even maracas on this one.

Rhiannon is always cool. I like how Stevie is taking that middle part a little more seriously now. But what's up with that wrap? Could that be the most boring outfit choice in her closet? I think so. All those beautiful shawls she keeps locked up? And that's what she chooses? My friend and I were baffled!

Everywhere was another "I can't believe this is happening, moment." I never thought I'd see this live, one of my favorites. Stevie and Christine did a little fist bump with their tambo/maracas in the middle.

I Know I'm Not Wrong brings serious energy, but I mean, been there done that. For someone who talks about "Tusk" like its King Tut's Golden Undies, you'd think he'd play something other than this onstage. The giant Lindsey head is epic. Also, at the end, you can tell he's sitting, he gets up and walks away.

Tusk is always amazing. This is one of my favorites. I love how lindsey runs over to Chris in the middle. I also can't believe she's still strapping on that accordian. Which is funny because all the instruments in that song are so loud, you can't even hear it.

Sisters of the Moon is lousy. As to why she chose to do this again, maybe she didn't have enough rehearsal time? It doesn't work in this arrangement. It needs to go. I'd take Stand Back over this any day.

Say You Love Me was also a little bit of a flub in my opinion. I never thought I'd prefer the stripped down version more (2009, not 1997) than the full band version. But it got a great response.

Seven Wonders was another "holy cow" moment. Sometimes Ms. Nicks does something to completely surprise me. This was one of those times. I never thought we'd hear this again and I never thought it would sound good in such a low key, but I was wrong. She sounded amazing. I also noticed those large screens come down during this one.

Big Love sounded especially great tonight. I don't know what it was, but it had more of a rhythm. The crowd ate it up. Landslide was touching as always. She did say we are "Boston Strong" which I thought was cool. Since they were here the week of the Boston Marathon Bombings. I
I'd love to hear Never Goin Back played fast like Rumours, just once!

Over My Head was absolutely the flop of the night. But at least Oh Daddy and Brown Eyes were out too. Isn't it Midnight would have been my dream choice, but what are ya gunna do! Chris didn't stop smiling the whole night.

Gypsy was Stevie's flop. I can see that her Gypsy story is getting longer and longer each night. I also noticed that John McVie is nowhere to be found when she is telling the story (last year he left the stage)! I mean, cmon. She did this in 2009. Also, every exciting moment of the song has been lowered. She can't cut this anymore. But I'll take this for the twirls. Same outfit as last year too.

Little Lies was a surprise to me too, considering it didn't make the Dance tour cut. Sounds great, especially Lindsey's guitar! Fabulous!

GDWlove the dancing at the end. But I miss Stand Back.

So Afraid is pretty amazing, but he doesn't even mess around with the solo anymore. It's all calculated. At this point (30+ Mac and Lindsey shows), I'd like to hear something else.

It's weird to not hear anything between ISA and Go Your Own Way. I also thought it must be a bit exhausting for Lindsey to have two high energy songs like that right in a row. The crowd at this up. I have to stay the lack of chemistry between SnL is apparent. He doesn't even pretend to chase her anymore. They better drag her to that studio after this tour to put out something new because he is getting bored and you can tell.

World Turning, Don't Stop, and Silver Springs were nothing special. I always like when Brett plays the "fake" Lindsey voice on his keyboard and they all emerge. Don't Stop sounds much better with Chris on the keys. Stevie dedicated Silver Springs to someone with the last name Vazquez? This isn't the first time she's done it either. Whoever this person is, they are lucky! She did reach for some higher vocals on SS!

Songbird was beautiful and Chris accepted flowers at the end. She was confused though, because there were two bouquets and she thought they were both for Stevie. She ended up giving one to John, which I thought was funny. Stevie and Mick rambled on and on at the end. What I thought was funny though, was they used Lindsey's mic. I miss the days of Lindsey holding up the encores so he could shake hands and sign autographs!

However, the new lineup took the FM experience to a whole new level of excitement. I will be attending as many shows as possible on this tour. These shows are also a great distraction to how sad I am that I don't enjoy 24 Karat Gold!
Old 10-19-2014, 10:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Good review. I agree about Over My Head being a flub. It just doesn't fit in the set, though it sounds perfectly pleasant on its own.

Sisters sounded really good in Pitt., which surprised me.

I Know I'm Not Wrong is getting tired. Would have preferred any number of his Tusk songs, or Eyes of the World.

I too miss the acoustic Say You Love Me, though the return to the original arrangement was fine. Just didn't dig the endless procession of trees as a graphic behind the band while it was played.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hold Me would have been great instead of Over My Head.

Isn't it Midnight would be cool, but we already got Everywhere and Little Lies in the set.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLover View Post
I Know I'm Not Wrong brings serious energy, but I mean, been there done that. For someone who talks about "Tusk" like its King Tut's Golden Undies, you'd think he'd play something other than this onstage. The giant Lindsey head is epic. Also, at the end, you can tell he's sitting, he gets up and walks away.
Oh, I will make sure to look at the screen at the end the next time I see IKINW live. That's cool that he gets up and walks away. I didn't notice that.

When I saw them, Stevie didn't tell an extended Gypsy story. I'm actually interested in seeing how long it's gotten by a month from now.

Wonderful detailed review. Yes, you do have to write them down to keep them straight in your head, because it will all blend together very quickly. Not only do the songs in a tour blend together, but one tour starts to blend together with another after awhile. Thank you for sharing.

Michele