The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-01-2005, 12:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Tusk Australia Shows - Help me sort this mess out.

Ok so here's the dealio - I think I may have just discovered another Tusk Australia show that has been in existence, and I'm sure some of you have, but due to some errors has been mislabled etc.

As far as I know there is the Melbourne show from 3/11/80 that is also mislabled as the Melbourne 3/3/80 show. The reason I know it is the 3/11 show is b/c before Songbird Christine says "this is the fourth show in the last ten days here so I hope you are not getting bored with us." She says the same thing in the show labeled as 3/3. The show labeled as 3/11 is TAO and has louder sound than the 3/3 show.

So, I think that is pretty clear, but now my confusion turns to the Sydney shows. At first I thought that there was only one Sydney show in existence so when I recently traded for an upgraded copy, I compared it with the copy I already had and discovered that they are indeed different.

First, both shows I have are labeld as 3/15. However, these are some of the differences I noticed in both shows:

Sydney#1: Before WMYTYTO Lindsey says "We're going to try some new songs from the Tusk album and, you know, who cares." This is not present in the Sydney #2 show. Before GYOW Lindsey says "Sydney, this is our last city before we move on."

Sydney #2: Before GYOW Lindsey says: "Sydney we'd like to thank you, this is our last stop in Australia for several years." When he starts playing he screams "come on you f**cking Jackies (?) stand up." This is not present in the Sydney #1 show.

Sydney show #1: Before Songbird Christine says "I hope you're not going to go home with ear damage, we're pretty loud." This is not present in Sydney #2.

Sydney show #2: Before Songbird Christine says, "Like Lindsey said, this is the last concert we're doing in Australia for a long time."

Also, the Sydney #2 show I have begins with WMYTYTO while Sydney #1 is a complete show. So anyway, I think that show #2 is actually the Sydney 3/17/80 show because of Christine's & Lindsey's comments about it being their last show in Australia.

So does anyone know if the Sydney 3/17/80 show does in fact exist? I just found it strange that nobody had it listed on their sites.

"Hearts will break with choices we must
make, so sleep and dream of me."
- LB
Old 05-01-2005, 01:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Is it any wonder the shows are all mixed up, I'm totally confused by what you just wrote
Old 05-01-2005, 10:02 AM
joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliP
Ok so here's the dealio... - I think I may have just discovered another Tusk Australia show that has been in existence, and I'm sure some of you have, but due to some errors has been mislabled etc......
So does anyone know if the Sydney 3/17/80 show does in fact exist? I just found it strange that nobody had it listed on their sites.
Funny you post this. I just downloaded the "3/15/80" show and I think I downloaded parts of it before or maybe even the whole thing cause it sounded familiar to me.

Now, the thing is, I HAVE an audio cassette of another Sydney show that I got years ago from some guy in Long Island who sold me literally a shoebox full of fm concerts for like $5. Anyway, too lazy to check that cassette upon downloading this "other" show, I thought maybe the "3/15/80" online was indeed the same show as the tape I had. However, upon listening, that version didn't quite sound like the tape i had listened to a LOT several years ago. the in between song chatter was different, in particular.... So I concluded that they were two different nights without even listening to my cassette again.

Right after reading this thread, I dug out the tape and it is indeed labeled
"3/17/80." I didn't play it....just seeing the label was enough proof to me that the version online is a different night. And, your transcriptions of some of the banter within the two shows sounds exactly like what i have. Lindsey's comments about the "Jackies" totally brought it all home. And, the 17th i have is the complete show....and the better one, IMO. The sound quality is the same on both. I think the same guy must've recorded them.

So, I guess that's a long way of saying...yes, this show is out there.

Hope this makes sense!

Last edited by joe; 05-01-2005 at 10:14 AM..
Old 05-01-2005, 10:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Joe, you should think about having your cassettes (especially any of them that aren't already out in the trading community) converted to disc... Have you considered asking Brian J. if he'd be willing to do it for you? I can't speak for him, but I'm sure he'd be interested. Just a thought... Cause I know I wouldn't mind a copy of the 3/17
Old 05-01-2005, 11:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
As far as I know there is the Melbourne show from 3/11/80 that is also mislabled as the Melbourne 3/3/80 show.
I dated that in the newsgroup years ago as March 11 because it was first circulated undated.
Quote:
I first circulated the 3-15-80 show years ago. But I've had the 3-17-80 show in my tape collection for even a lot longer than that. The 3-17-80 show I have is an audience boot, while the 3-15-80 show is a soundboard direct from Maureen Loftus.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
Funny you post this. I just downloaded the "3/15/80" show and I think I downloaded parts of it before or maybe even the whole thing cause it sounded familiar to me.
Brian recently took my master cassette copy & converted it into CD.
Quote:
And, the 17th i have is the complete show....and the better one, IMO.
That's odd. The show of the 17th I've had for years is incomplete. I think it starts with WMYTYTO.
Quote:
The sound quality is the same on both. I think the same guy must've recorded them.
That's odd, too. My recording of it is definitely an audience recording -- a fairly good one with a lot of volume, but one nevertheless. While the 3-15 is a soundboard, slightly muffled & low end, but still a soundboard. If you have the complete 3-17, get it into circulation!
Old 05-01-2005, 11:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Yep...

if you need that show transferred to disc just let me know, I enjoy transferring 'em

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 05-01-2005, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuigirl
Is it any wonder the shows are all mixed up, I'm totally confused by what you just wrote

I know. I'm confused myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
Now, the thing is, I HAVE an audio cassette of another Sydney show that I got years ago from some guy in Long Island who sold me literally a shoebox full of fm concerts for like $5.
Yes, I got mine on cassette when I first started trading a long time ago. But, that's interesting that yours is an entire concert - b/c mine starts at WMYTYTO, like David said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I first circulated the 3-15-80 show years ago. But I've had the 3-17-80 show in my tape collection for even a lot longer than that. The 3-17-80 show I have is an audience boot, while the 3-15-80 show is a soundboard direct from Maureen Loftus.
I think you are right. The 3/17/80 show sounds like an audience recording. But, it is a very good audience recording, imo. I like the 3/17 show better because WMYTYTO is one of the best versions I've ever heard and Sara is awesome with sort of an echo effect. Very cool.

That would be awesome if we could get the complete 3/17 show out there!

- LB
Old 05-02-2005, 09:43 AM
joe

i will listen and compare the 2 shows....just not now. i've got too much work to finish for graduation this month. when that's over, i'll start listening!

my 3-17 show may in fact be an audience recording, albeit a good one at that. as i said before, i'm not 100% as i haven't listened to it in years.

i can convert the show to cd, no problem. cripe, i've got enough software choices to do that.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:34 PM
Junior Ledgie

So where could a local Aussie like myself pick up one of these shows on CD ????
Old 05-05-2005, 05:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The 3/17/80 Sydney show was also the last show right before they went to New Zealand. Wasn't it in New Zealand where Lindsey supposedly kicked Stevie and was mocking her on state etc? I actually wonder if Lindsey's uncalled for behavior began at the 3/17 Sydney show?? If you listen to it, Lindsey sings WMYTYTO really obnoxiously. And right before the song he's like "who cares," just kind of being a d**k. Then during Landslide where Stevie takes the pause after "snow covered hills", he starts playing some weird guitar part that is really fast and rockin' (sort of) that I have never heard before. Makes me think he was deliberately trying to be annoying. Anyway, those are just my thoughts.

- LB
Old 05-05-2005, 08:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The 3/17/80 Sydney show was also the last show right before they went to New Zealand. Wasn't it in New Zealand where Lindsey supposedly kicked Stevie and was mocking her on state etc? I actually wonder if Lindsey's uncalled for behavior began at the 3/17 Sydney show?? If you listen to it, Lindsey sings WMYTYTO really obnoxiously. And right before the song he's like "who cares," just kind of being a d**k. Then during Landslide where Stevie takes the pause after "snow covered hills", he starts playing some weird guitar part that is really fast and rockin' (sort of) that I have never heard before. Makes me think he was deliberately trying to be annoying. Anyway, those are just my thoughts.
I don't think it's a case of being annoying so much as it is being tired of playing the same songs for six months & playing around during the performance a bit just to keep your sanity. All musicians get into that boat.

I know it's fashionable to ascribe all sorts of sinister motives to these guys when stuff like this occurs onstage, but it's generally people who don't play an instrument who do this. These people see all sorts of Grand Drama in every little gesture up there on the stage, & they never stop to consider that it takes a certain amount of concentration just to get the chords played correctly on your instrument -- there's less opportunity than you think to carry out some sort of mysterious "acting out" to bandmates, this sort of temperamental communication that is alleged to be going on all the time.

What happens is that playing & singing the same stuff night after night for months on end, you do whig out a bit, & that can express itself in dozens of ways, both harmless & harmful to the show.

Stevie has always talked the most about the "emotion" of being onstage & the "relationships" & "interaction," but of course she doesn't play an instrument, so it stands to reason that she's always had more opportunity to conceptualize grand onstage dramas. But even she doesn't do it half as much as fans do.

moviekinks.blogspot.com

Last edited by David; 05-05-2005 at 08:06 PM..
Old 05-05-2005, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I know it's fashionable to ascribe all sorts of sinister motives to these guys when stuff like this occurs onstage, but it's generally people who don't play an instrument who do this. These people see all sorts of Grand Drama in every little gesture up there on the stage, & they never stop to consider that it takes a certain amount of concentration just to get the chords played correctly on your instrument -- there's less opportunity than you think to carry out some sort of mysterious "acting out" to bandmates, this sort of temperamental communication that is alleged to be going on all the time.
Actually, I wasn't trying to imply that Lindsey had any sinister motives. I don't know what went on, I wasn't there. I was going off the various interviews from Christine and Stevie about the New Zealand show. Even Lindsey once commented about when he sang an entire show out of tune and how unprofessional it was. I was mainly wondering if Lindsey could have done the same thing at this Sydney show that eventually caused the blow-up in New Zealand.

Quote:
What happens is that playing & singing the same stuff night after night for months on end, you do whig out a bit, & that can express itself in dozens of ways, both harmless & harmful to the show.
I wasn't implying that it was a bad thing. I like it when Lindsey/Stevie do something out of the ordinary. Of course, it gets boring and I don't blame them!

Quote:
Stevie has always talked the most about the "emotion" of being onstage & the "relationships" & "interaction," but of course she doesn't play an instrument, so it stands to reason that she's always had more opportunity to conceptualize grand onstage dramas. But even she doesn't do it half as much as fans do.
I wasn't trying to conceptilize a drama. I just posed a legitimate question as to perhaps Lindsey's behavior was a precursor to the New Zealand shows. And again, it really makes no difference what a fan, such as myself, thinks. I have no idea what sort of onstage actions would make the rest of the members angry. I was just stating some possibilities - maybe playing some weird quitar tune in the middle of Landslide was one of them. I have no idea.

- LB
Old 05-06-2005, 12:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I wasn't trying to conceptilize a drama. I just posed a legitimate question as to perhaps Lindsey's behavior was a precursor to the New Zealand shows. And again, it really makes no difference what a fan, such as myself, thinks. I have no idea what sort of onstage actions would make the rest of the members angry. I was just stating some possibilities - maybe playing some weird quitar tune in the middle of Landslide was one of them. I have no idea.
Now you have me haunted in my mirror, thinking about that possibility!!

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-07-2005, 09:45 AM
joe

Quote:
The 3/17/80 Sydney show was also the last show right before they went to New Zealand. Wasn't it in New Zealand where Lindsey supposedly kicked Stevie and was mocking her on state etc? I actually wonder if Lindsey's uncalled for behavior began at the 3/17 Sydney show??

I actually thought the same thing. Lindsey was apparently very uninhibited at this point. I actually thought that he had definately tipped the bottle in Sydney, ESPECIALLY at the 17th show. Listen to his comments. It's a bit out of character for him. So, it makes sense that something happened in New Zealand that culminated in pissing the band off. Maybe it wasn't such a grand spectacle that's described in Mick's book, but it doesn't seem that far from the truth.

Quote:
I don't think it's a case of being annoying so much as it is being tired of playing the same songs for six months & playing around during the performance a bit just to keep your sanity. All musicians get into that boat.
I was blown away when I first heard that wild Landlslide "interlude." Yeah, I'm sure FM at that point could play the songs in their sleep. I love the spontaneity and that's all I really looked at it as. However, I do think it was a combination of being a bit tired, drunk, and crazed from the whole thing. At the same time, that song can be so easy to play and so structured that it doesn't seem that farfetched to digress a bit. I just wonder what stevie was thinking then. Can you just see her standing there clueless with the spotlight on her while waiting for Lindsey to come back to earth? Most likely, she probably covered nicely.

There's another "Landslide" where Lindsey changes his part and I thought it sounded really beautiful. It's towards the end. It's on one of the Rumours soundboards. I'm thinking Little Rock.

Last edited by joe; 05-07-2005 at 09:52 AM..