The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Ledgie

Default MY St. Louis review (Song by Song) - Youtube videos available!

I really wanted to write a detailed, clever review of the amazing show from Friday the 13th..but by the time I got home from my 5 and half hour drive to St. Louis, there were already other reviews floating around.

Before I go into each song, I have to point out that it seemed as if the universe did not want my friend and I to attend this show. We left our starting location with hours to spare, and the horrible horrible horrible rain slowed us down.. There were accidents everywhere! And how can I forget to mention that songs such as "Storms" and "Watch Chain" added spooky lyrics to the situation..

But finally after hours of difficult driving, we arrived... so.. really quick.. let me get to the juice of this thread - which is Stevie's enchanting performance.

The set list was the same - the quality of the performance and her voice were exceptional. She was comfortably talkative and funny a lot of times..so..

Stand Back - I'm really glad she put this back as the opener.. Her vocals were supreme. I saw her in concert almost exactly a year ago.. and she sounded much stronger this time.. (and believe me, last year was good too.) She went for longer notes, and drew out the final note perfectly - the lights rising as she did and the crowd screamed wildly. I only wish I had gotten footage of the awesome twirling and stand back kick. Red cape/shawl was simply gorgeous.

Outside the Rain - We have this entire song and some of dreams on camera, so check out youtube to see if it is there yet. Her vocals, again, were very very wonderful. Some parts reminded me of her 1994 House of Blues performance (with asthma.) I was really pleased.

Dreams - Beautiful, beautiful.. and most of it was captured.. so again, keep checking youtube.. The crowd adores this song.. Stevie mentioned Iowa and told us "Pray for no rain." "No, seriously.. pray for no rain!" - in reference to the lyrics incase you missed it.

If Anyone Falls in Love - Surprise on this song! This has never been one of my favorite songs, but she REAAAAALLY tore it up on this one. Her vocals were so strong, and you could clearly hear how much she loves singing it.. Last year, this song was good but it kinda' just wizzed by me because I've never been in love with it.. But not this time.. It was one of the strongest performances, I'd say! But I don't think my friend recorded it.

Crash into Me - Okay, I don't care what anyone says about this gem of a song. I love it. Dave Matthews/DMB are a favorite of mine, and I love it when my favorites sing songs by my other favorites. We got about half of it on tape, and her voice is notably smooth and melodic and I think it's one of the best covers she's ever done. The second half, which we didn't record, is the best.. but don't worry - from this point on we got all the great stuff.

Rhiannon - Full video on youtube.. Very strong, and striking.. and she's going for a cooler, more powerful ending in the "dreams unwind" sequence.. Much like on the soundstage performance! The way she's been ending it compared the last few years is definitely more like the Stevie from the 70's..

Sorcerer - Strong performance..! The show was so rocking though, that I wish she'd trade this for Planets Of The Universe - which I think is GREAT onstage (unlike some..)

Face the Promise - Rocking rocking rocking.. strong vocals.. Great choice

Gold Dust Woman - Check out youtube.. You know how this song is different every time.. Well during the Go HOOOOO0000000ooooooooommme... she did it like in the 70's..! Everyone should look at this because I was just so happy.. I have so many recordings of this song from recent years that don't really strike me the way this one did - and still does just by watching it on video.

Landslide - Beautiful, once again... All of it should be on youtube.

Fall from Grace - Really rockin'..

How Still My Love - I would gladly sell my soul to anyone who could get me an mp3 of this performance. Watch it on youtube! Halfway through the went for a powerful howl that made everybody scream.. She really sells this song, and has made it one of her best vocal and visual performances of her tour. I can't stress enough how strong she sounded. The notes she went for this time, and not the last time I saw her, are oceans apart.

Edge of Seventeen - Excellent - and the edge walk was present.. and the scream was amazing.. check out youtube!

Rock and Roll (encore) - Awesome! Her backup sings were especially notable the whole night, but they really got crazy during this song. Tophat included.

Has Anyone Ever Written Anything for You (encore) Soooooooooo beautiful. Will someone please explain to me why the version on Rock A Little is so crappy compared to virtually every live performance of it.. ever? (At least from the 90's on..) A drunk girl and her drunk guy friends were talking loudly loudly loudly behind us and I was about to elbow them all in the face, followed by pepper spray because I have a little rage.. but they shut up - and our youtube clip doesn't record them talking as loudly as my ears did...

This show was wonderful... And it really really kicked the ass of the last show I saw.. She really is at the top of her game I feel. Say whatever you want about how you think the early 80's were her prime - but I have yet to find a fully consistent show from beginning to end where she delivers on each song. Now, these days, she delivers. The arena was not full, but it was definitely more than half full.. It felt full, if that counts.

(Oh, and if anyone wants to send me a show from the 80's of decent quality and consistent vocal delivery, well then I'd be happy to listen. I'm not gonna' say no to a free bootleg. )

I know I keep saying it, but I'm just so excited to have youtube videos of this. Our camera didn't capture her face nearly as well..but her body language is clear and the audio is pretty good.. so you should really check it out!

Last edited by GypsyVisions; 06-15-2008 at 03:39 PM..
Old 06-15-2008, 01:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, just reading your descriptions of the songs got me excited about seeing them.

I don't know why, but Gold Dust Woman always seems fresh to me and you make it clear that this rendition was no different. I often snooze through Rhiannon and Dreams, but GDW is always just a little different, even though the record was not my favorite, the live performance has been a revelation for a long time.

Hey, don't try to dump my Sorcerer. I live for Sorcerer and HSML in concert. I'm all for POTU, but not at the Lady of the Mountain's expense .

Michele
Old 06-15-2008, 03:38 PM
Ledgie

Okay okay okay.. I'm backing down on that one. Instead of dumping anything, it'd be great if more were simply added.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Ledgie

Unhappy

Man O Man O Man. I sure hope she comes to Dallas. I had great seats last year when she came. Got pulled over by a cop and they took me to jail, for 3 days. There was a mistake on my record. The day I went in was the day of Stevie. I was totally depressed. Not to mention the big bucks I shelled out for the tickets were lost. It's the 1st FM or SN show I've missed in a looong time.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, amazing review. Thank you. I am so happy you had a wonderful time.
I want to check these out on youtube, but do you have any links so I know I am looking at the right videos?
Old 06-15-2008, 10:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Hello St. Louis, I would like to dedicate this to you tonight!

I am the friend from the review who went to the show in St. Louis with gypsyvisions! I just have to reiterate the point that it seemed that destiny was in the car with us on the drive up there. The rain was absolutely horrendous!

We were really wondering whether we would make it to the show alive, when "Storms" came on and Stevie sang, "but in those years and the lifetimes past, I did not deal with the road!"

But we just laughed and kept driving, knowing that Stevie was with us in the car.

Next song on the playlist was "Watch Chain," and when Stevie sang the words"Beware of the Danger, when you Cross the Great Water!" we freaked out and had to change the song!

As for the actual performance, Stevie was TOP NOTCH, she looked great and her voice sounded strong! She seemed even better than her 2007 tour!

Stand Back kicked ass! Stevie was wearing a beautiful new red cape that I've never seen before. And at the end, she built up to an ULTRA TWIRL! As in, I was amazed at seeing her twirl this much - right in front of my eyes!

I have to just say that Waddy Wachtel is still as rockin' as ever! And the ladies sounded great.

How Still My Love was absolutely rockin! Stevie almost dropped the mic at the beginning, but she more than made up for it with a super long powerful note soon after. And at the end, she did a sexy dance where she suggestively took off her shawl and swung it around her head! You have to see this video!

Gold Dust Woman was my other favorite performance of the night!

And the last song she performed, Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You, Stevie was dressed in white and she looked like a beautiful angel!

Driving through all that terrible rain was definitely worth it. I would have paddled to St. Louis if I had to. Here are a few more pics:
(I mangaged to sneak a camera into the venue in my Stevie Boot!)

Here are some links to the videos I took of the show. Unfortunately, my camera couldn't focus the details of Stevie's face, but Jake and I could see in person. The audio quality is pretty good. I was able to get complete videos of a few of the songs, including Landslide, Rhiannon, and Outside the Rain, and most all of Gold Dust Woman.

How Still My Love

Edge of 17 (2 parts)

Edge part 2 - End Scream

Rhiannon (Complete)

Landslide (Complete)

Crash

Outside the Rain & beginning of Dreams

Gold Dust Woman

Last edited by SmileAtYou; 06-16-2008 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: Added one more picture and embedded videos!
Old 06-16-2008, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyVisions View Post
A drunk girl and her drunk guy friends were talking loudly loudly loudly behind us and I was about to elbow them all in the face, followed by pepper spray because I have a little rage.. but they shut up - and our youtube clip doesn't record them talking as loudly as my ears did...
Glad you kept your rage in check. There's nothing more annoying than loud, obnoxious people around you when you're trying to listen to a concert.

Quote:
This show was wonderful... And it really really kicked the ass of the last show I saw.. She really is at the top of her game I feel. Say whatever you want about how you think the early 80's were her prime - but I have yet to find a fully consistent show from beginning to end where she delivers on each song. Now, these days, she delivers.
She may have had more range in her voice back then, but she is definitely more consistent and in control of her voice these days. I totally agree.

Nice review. Thanks!
Old 06-16-2008, 05:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart How Still My Love

Wow HSML! That was a great video, thanks for posting it!