Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default All My Sorrows are in Tahoe

I am doing a fuller write up of the show, but just wanted to say that Lindsey closed with All My Sorrows.

He also played about 2 minutes of DOR for a lady in the front row, but he didn't sing it. He just did it on guitar.

You know, when FM got that new guitarist, I was on the fence. Slowly but surely, he's beginning to grow on me. I think I may learn to like him yet.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 09-13-2008 at 12:51 AM..
Old 09-13-2008, 12:01 AM
Junior Ledgie

awesome. looking forward to the sf show tomorrow.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

He better bloody play it in San Francisco Tomorrow
Old 09-13-2008, 12:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcrazylove View Post
He better bloody play it in San Francisco Tomorrow
He probably will. He, Neale and Brett didn't learn that harmony for just one night. They were like the Beach Boys!

Michele
Old 09-13-2008, 12:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

OMG. I love that song.

Anything else you'd like to highlight before your write-up?

I would die if he played something like, oh, You Do Or You Don't/Countdown/Surrender the Rain/Wrong live.

But you know. Not being selective or anything.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 09-13-2008, 12:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
OMG. I love that song.

Anything else you'd like to highlight before your write-up?
Wouldn't it be nice if I could say he did Wrong or Time Bomb Town or Slow Dancing? Alas, it is not to be.

Michele
Old 09-13-2008, 12:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

lol. Well, I'm sure you were just as thrilled hearing GYOW for the trillionth time. But, well, no matter what album Linds releases, he'll still always be promoting Rumours. And I've accepted that I guess.

Was anything a stand out? How was he dressed? Any NEW speeches (I was getting excited about that new article/interview where he actually used interesting and new cliche phrases as responses for a change).

Old 09-13-2008, 12:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

South Shore Room in Tahoe: Lindsey played to a full house. It was a very SMALL house, but hey, it was full.

They closed the bars in the show room about 20 minutes before the show, but that wasn't soon enough to stop the drunks from hollering during the show. Still, they ultimately couldn't mar a stellar evening.

This tour Lindsey's leather coat is lighter weight, liquid and satiny. I like the black chic look.

The new songs sounded great and I'm glad that I'm getting to know the words more and more. I wish they were all as familiar as DYMM already is.

Lindsey's guitar amp went out briefly during Trouble, but not enough to interrupt the song.

The crowd didn't stand up during most of the song, which I don't do anyway, because I can hear the song and dance to it at home. I guess at a concert I want to SEE the performer, observe their face and mannerisms. So, I just like to watch. I don't like to stand and dance and obscure anyone's view. But that's not to say the crowd was sedate. They did give Lindsey a standing ovation after almost every tune. They were exuberant.

When Lindsey first spoke to the crowd a lady kept interrupting him after every word. He good naturedly told her that if she had something to say she should be on the stage. When he introduced DYMM, he started talking about Gift of Screws, which he had already performed. As his explanation got more involved a guy yelled, "Just do it!" Lindsey said, "I already did it!"

I love how Lindsey breaks up his syllables when he sings Go Insane. He brings back the staccato sounds that the album had. "She's a lot li - i - ike you," the words going up and down a note. He sure sounds good.

He said DYMM was the single from his album, although he said he didn't know what a single was. Since it didn't have a video, he wondered if that made DYMM a "single lite."

He said GOS was about working for what you get. While it wasn't as rude as it sounded, he imagines the song title could have sexual connotations. He laughed at the thought. He said it was really from a poem by Emily Dickinson and wondered "how boring is that?" He said you can't just smell the flowers, you have to wring the essential oils from them. You have to turn the screw to reap the full benefits of anything.

Honestly, with the audience interruptions, I think the Big Love introductory speech was about 10 minutes long.

Lindsey stops the show and says a lady in the front row keeps asking for "Rodeo." So, he wonders, "would it be okay if I just play it." She of course says yes, so he plays about 2 minutes of it alone, with Neale and Brett just looking on. He doesn't sing. It's quite a lovely interlude. When he finishes, he blows the lady a kiss.

No audience guitar playing during GYOW. At the end, when Lindsey prepared for his big guitar finale in front of the drum kit, his amp went out again. The guitar tech ran around the stage trying to connect different chords, but it wasn't happening. Lindsey tossed the guitar. [No Luke, he didn't do it violently, he just tossed it into a corner]. He approached the mic and said "Thank you Tahoe!" Then, the band left the stage.

When he returned for the encore, he lay on the floor awhile, as SHN revved up, then he came and jumped into the song.

He introduced Treason by saying that although it could, indeed, be about treason, it was also about states of fear and greed and lies that people tell to each other. It can be about 2 people or many or about countries at war. The song was about resolving and untelling the lies.

People mentioned that maybe the show shouldn't end on this slow song, but you know . . . the FM members may not agree on a lot, but when they make a pact they stick with it. They took the Songbird pledge to always end on a soft note and I don't think they are going to deviate from it any time soon. I haven't seen Mick's show, but I bet he ends on a slow song too. They are psychotic about doing it.

After Treason they take their group bow and then after consulting with the guys, Lindsey comes to the mic. He tells the guitar tech to come up. He introduces the guy as "Stanley." The audience chants, "Stanley, Stanley" and applaud the harried fellow. Lindsey wants to have Stanley address the audience, but Stanley is still scrambling around trying to test Lindsey's guitar hook up.

Lindsey says that he will take the time to talk, while Stanley is still "looking for a guitar that works." He says that we know they have had technical glitches tonight and in all the distrraction, he was errant and neglected to introduce the band. He says that Neale caught Lindsey's bad attitude and he thinks Neale wanted to walk off the stage too and Lindsey had to say, "get back here."

He calls Stanley back and hugs him and says, "he's had a lot on his plate and he's dealing with it."

Brett then says nice things about Lindsey (poor thing probably gets docked pay if he doesn't). Says that you can see being on stage is sometimes challenging, but Lindsey always challenges them, on stage and in the studio. He said he looks up to Lindsey.

Lindsey asks the crowd if they would like one more song. He says usually at this point he would play something by himself, but given the equipment problems they've had tonight, he thinks he's afraid to be alone on stage! So, he says that he'll give us something with some folksy harmony. He then plays All My Sorrows, with lovely vocals from all 3 men.

That's how the show ended. I'd say the guy's a keeper.

Michele
Old 09-13-2008, 01:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wonderful review, Michele. Sounds like it was an exciting night. And Lindsey really restrained himself with the tech issues. Far contrast from my own experience, which could mean he's mellowed even more. Pretty soon he'll be cracking jokes, hugging key audience members during song breaks, and inviting others for on-stage sing-a-longs the rate he's going. Good for him.

Last edited by Nico; 09-13-2008 at 01:46 AM..
Old 09-13-2008, 01:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, he was very gracious. All the same, I wonder if Stanley has seen his last days with the tour. He is a short, slight guy, with long hair.

I meant to note that when Lindsey reached for the high notes in Come, the pitchy screeches that erupted made my own throat raw, in sympathy with is.

I do think it was an exciting, fun night. Michele
Old 09-13-2008, 02:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Michele, Thank you for the review. It def. sounds like you are having a great time on this Tour. Funny how you mentioned FM always ending shows on slow songs. I thought it would be cool if he ended his shows with Walk A Thin Line or Save Me A Place.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Michele, Thank you for the review. It def. sounds like you are having a great time on this Tour. Funny how you mentioned FM always ending shows on slow songs. I thought it would be cool if he ended his shows with Walk A Thin Line or Save Me A Place.
Save Me a Place became almost a staple for the UTS tour. I was a little glad that he changed up this time around.

Michele
Old 09-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Oh cool Michele, Great tune to add to the set, it probably sounded excellent...
Old 09-13-2008, 03:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Michele, your writeup was infinitely better than the actual show. Thank you for sharing your commentary with us. You have a gift for putting your sensory experiences into context.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-13-2008, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love All My Sorrows.
It was on my super-secret wish list.

Now, he has to keep that one in there for just another month and I'll be set!

Sorry, Michelle.
I got so excited over the song, I didn't read your review until now.

Thank you! I love all the little details and could so picture all of them. He had "technical problems" in Westbury a couple of years ago. RIP guitar!

Last edited by Regina; 09-13-2008 at 04:12 PM..