The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > The Penguin > Q&A Discussions

Old 08-15-2001, 07:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question questions

If we do decide on the music video list, of course (Johnny Stew's great complete 14 song band vid list is above) I was wondering, if Ken's people are adamant that the limit is 12 songs, which two should we take out of this great 14 vid list? Not that we would want to but if they simply say that they will not include all 14 then how can we narrow this down (or preferrably get around it)?

I was also thinking about how with some vids like "Seven wonders" there were actually two versions (there's not much difference between the two, just a couple of shots that are in one that aren't in the other and vice versa but once again for completeness sake). I don't know if they would be willing to put one version under the "Special features/Bonus materials" section (which I'm sure we all agree we would want included as a section anyways for some of the "making of" footage (like for the "Gypsy" vid) and the outtakes (like Lindsey's attempted but unsuccessful glass smashing guitar throwing antics in the "Hold me" vid)) so I don't know if we would be allowed to stick some of the alternate versions of vids under that section to get around the space problem and still have it be as complete as possible or how to handle all of this. Any thoughts?

What do you guys think of either of these two confusing areas? (that is, if it does turn out we go with the music vids list in the end, I've already signed the petittion regardless of what's on there) Sorry for sticking my beak in all the time I'm just really excited about the possible releases. Hopefully the word can be spread far enough so we can get this thing done which we all want, here's hoping!

John
Old 08-15-2001, 12:55 PM
Ledgie

Exclamation

In the case of a band like Fleetwood Mac that had songs way before the "concept video" explosion, I think we really have to reach back and put some live material on with the videos.
The "average" fan expects Rhiannon and Go Your Own Way with a major FM release.

Plus, if you look at the list of concept videos, it is WAY too lopsided towards Christine.

I would vote off the Family Man video since it doesn't feature the band, as well as Everywhere which is just really bizarre! IMHO. Where did they get that idea anyway?!

:-)
Old 08-15-2001, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Unhappy Concept videos???

Hi Jo & Jensen...
Good thread here...but...what is the difference of a music video for a song and a concept video?
My two to X would be Seven Wonders & Family Man! They DO not have much artistry just some moving around on a very large empty space! There are some "cute" moments but nothing significant!
DVD is exciting but gosh... 10,000 sales is a LOT to expect unless it could be promoted with the
new F Mac Album and world tour some way! Just MHO!!!
Cheers for the Mac! Luv Ya', ~Sky~

Peacekeeper song ... Lindsey
Old 08-15-2001, 06:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default wich to scrap

BACK OF MY MIND and FAMILY MAN would be the ones i'll scrap from the perfect johny stew list (IF WE ARE LIMITED TO 12 and that seems too be the case right now) .
not that i have seen either one, and i would defenately like to, but out of the other 12 there are none i want to scrap.
I defenately would like to see SEVEN WONDERS and EVERYWHERE included.
Thanx again to everyone involved for trying to make this work!!!
Old 08-15-2001, 09:05 PM
Junior Ledgie

I was thinking scrapping Family Man & Tusk, because the Tusk video could just be on the Tusk documentary DVD. If that gets released.

But honestly, I'd rather have all 14. Even if it means paying an extra $5-$10 bucks.

~Brian
Old 08-16-2001, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Jo/Jensen brings up a good point in that by sticking only to 'concept' videos, we'll be very heavy on Christine's material since it was her songs that were most often chosen as singles.

I guess this brings up the discussion about how important it is to us to have the footage on this tape be distributed evenly among the different singers. If there is to be more equal representation, it may not be possible to stick only with concept videos.

So . . . this puts a few ideas up against each other here:

The purity of a complete concept video compilation vs. more varied coverage of the different singers through the inclusion of performance footage.

Just throwing one more rock in the pond.
Old 08-16-2001, 04:12 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote from Ken Caillat last night:

Quote:
We can put at least 2 hours on a DVD maybe 3. The problem could be the licensing costs, the more we put on the more $$$/disk we pay, but don't worry about that now we'll figure out how to pay for it later, let's make the best disk we can!
I'd suggest going through the video list first and seeing what things we most likely *wouldn't* want first just to narrow it down. There is obviously enough footage on there for at least a dozen DVDs but we're only getting one at first.

- Marty
Old 08-16-2001, 05:37 PM
Gypsyblue

Marty,
I was wondering if Ken finally sent you that list ?? It would be nice to know exactly whats out there ( or in Warners "Vaults") to choose from. I'm dying to find out!!!!!
Old 08-16-2001, 06:15 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

It's posted right under this thread! Look at the top of the Q&A Ledge as I made it 'sticky'.

- Marty
Old 08-16-2001, 06:36 PM
Gypsyblue

Thanks Marty I found the "sticky" list
I just have one question, is that a list of audios or videos??
How do we tell which is which?
Old 08-16-2001, 06:45 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

It's all videos. The audio one was sent to me first and I started to transcribe it but took it down once the video list came.
Old 08-16-2001, 06:52 PM
Gypsyblue

Marty , forgive me for bring a "pain in the butt"
But is there any way you can find in your heart to post it here, I've been waiting for days........YEARS!!! to see that list......Pleaseeeee!!!
I sure I'm not the only one here who would like to have one more glimpse......PLEASE!!
Old 08-16-2001, 07:27 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

I don't think this was the list you were waiting for; I only got up to page 7 out of 17. All of the songs were from Tusk (+ Farmer's Daughter) and the code was hard to follow as no legend was sent. When things calm down I'll transribe the other 10 pages and link it into the Tusk entry on the Penguin. I don't want to confuse what's available by posting it again. I'll private message you a copy of what I had transcribed instead.

So which is better-- FM at 21 or the Going Home special?
We need to narrow this list down!

- Marty
Old 08-16-2001, 07:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Les
Jo/Jensen brings up a good point in that by sticking only to 'concept' videos, we'll be very heavy on Christine's material since it was her songs that were most often chosen as singles.

Hi Les,
I agree. I've been saying all along that a concept videos-only release would be, in my opinion, way too heavy-handed where Christine's material is concerned.
If everyone doesn't mind reading back to the 2nd page of this thread, I listed two other possible track-lists that are a little more even... and both of which would be, to me, preferable over a strict concept video collection.

I completely understand that a lot of people would like to FINALLY have all of the videos in pristine condition, and on the same collection... I'd love that too... but being that we're limited in the number of tracks, and therefore unable to balance it with live clips, I feel it would be better to not stick with the idea of compiling all of the concept videos onto one collection.

I also feel that if we're going to be able to really push this title to a wider audience (remember, more sales means a better potential for future releases), we're going to have to make sure it's a little more balanced.
I can just see a lot of the fans grumbling about Stevie and Lindsey each having only three videos apiece on the DVD/VHS, while Christine has six (not counting "Hold Me").
Not to mention that key songs, such as "Rhiannon" and "Go Your Own Way" would be left out.

Marty, you certainly don't need any more work, but I think we're definitely going to need to vote at some point.
I think we're all in agreement that we want *SOMETHING* released, so perhaps it won't be so difficult for us to narrow down exactly *what* we want.

Johnny Stew
Old 08-16-2001, 08:31 PM
Gypsyblue

I agree, I think the sooner we vote the better.