Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-22-2018, 03:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by krrrby View Post
You can watch the show here
Hey, thanks for that! That's where I watched it...into the wee hours of the morning.

The band sounds good. No surprise there. It's still Mick, John, and Christine. Throw in MC and a few other seasoned veteran players and FM can still sound good. Kudos to Mike for playing some new guitar interpretations. But everything else was the same old same old. Nothing new. Just FM milking the same tired songs over and over again in the same tired old way. BLAH. Maybe they will dig deep into the FM catalog, but I highly doubt it. At best, we'll, you'll get "Oh Well" and "Man Of The World". Beings that they chose to do SHN is even more of an indication that they will stick to the Rumours 5 formula songs. By the way, Neil sucked singing that song. He doesn't have the same kind of angst that Lindsey has when he sings.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Mouse View Post
Sorry to disappoint all the haters but the new lineup sounded great last night.
The harmonies on Little Lies were terrible. I agree with you that Neil is an incredible harmony singer, but it is essential you harmonise with someone that suits your voice and range, it works perfectly with Neil and Tim, it DOES NOT WORK with Stevie and Chris
Old 09-22-2018, 04:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I tend to agree that Second Hand News wasn't the best choice for such a short set. "Oh Well" would have been a much better choice. That being said, I thought Neil and Stevie did just fine with the vocal on that song. And I wonder if they chose Second Hand News as kind of lyrical wink ...

"One thing I think you should know
I ain't gonna miss you when you go
Been down so long
I've been tossed around enough."
My thoughts exactly...
Old 09-22-2018, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
Me too! Especially because of all the money that will go to Lindsey's pockets.

He won't get paid for their live performances of the song.
He will get paid if the song is on the tv broadcast.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just as I thought it would be- it sounded okay, but it seemed a fairly dull spectacle. Just no energy. Mike and Neil were largely static throughout.

A second percussionist... and not even hidden this time. Wow, with the backing singers they now have twice as many musicians on stage as they did during 'the glory years'.

Second Hand News? Shame on you.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 09-22-2018, 04:49 PM
Senior Ledgie

Just finished watching the iHeart performance. It wasn't horrible. They seemed genuinely happy to be on stage together, and in general I think they all sounded decent. It is a bit jarring to hear Neil sing Lindsey's parts, especially on "Second Hand News," but he can definitely sing. To be honest, I was mainly disappointed in Miss Nicks. She really refuses to change up anything: same black dress as always, same vocal "flourishes" in "The Chain," same exact performance of "Gold Dust Woman." I thought having Mike in the band might make her more willing and confident to take some different approaches to her songs. Clearly, we'll be getting the same old performances from her on this tour that we've seen time and again. That's too bad. I thought the whole point of firing Lindsey was to open up the possibilities of the band.

Alas, the more things change, the more they stay the same.....
Old 09-22-2018, 05:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think maybe one of the differences between the Rick and Billy years and this new incarnation of the band, is that after 1982's Mirage tour, which was very short by the way, we didn't hear anything from the band. We had a 5 year drought.

Then when Tango was done and Lindsey left and we really got the whole ugly story then, so I was ok with Rick and Billy, things just got bad with Lindsey at that point, drugs, egos etc.... I understood, But I wanted to hear some Mac.

With this craziness of Lindsey leaving for what reason we really don't know yet, and Mike and Neil coming on, we just had a performance from the band at Musicares in January and that was the band we have been used to for years. It's just hard to accept new people at this point. These are their final years, I just hate watching it without Lindsey. Lindsey has an interview with Redbeard in early October. We'll definitely hear more about what happened. But I think even if it was all Lindsey's fault, I just don't get this new group. I look at Mike and I think of Tom. I look at Neil and he just doesn't fit in. He's a good singer and I love Crowded House, but it just doesn't work.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 09-22-2018, 05:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In fairness, we're going to have to wait for a 24 or so song set to make more of an informed judgement, but my initial worry is about Mr Finn: as others have said, good at back-up vocals, but a little bland at other times. I haven't felt so sick since England lost to Germany in the 1990 World Cup semi-final on penalties when I heard them do SHN. No, Mick, don't make him do it again. Please. It's not good and it's not clever. I suppose they had to give him one song to at least introduce him and a Peter (or Bob or Danny, dream on) song was not going to work in a five song set on their first outing before a live audience. Those clones on Ellen don't count.

Now, Mike Campbell, not knowing much about him beforehand, is a different matter. I liked his gothic, doom-laden presence, his little guitar noodles that helped show that if he is going to appear in the Mac universe he can add a little personal stamp on their songs without being arrogant enough to clam an unwarranted ownership on them. Maybe I'm wrong, but he was the only good part of a tired and redundant Don't Stop.

We all know about Stevie and Chris's declining range. But, honestly, how good can we expect these seventy-something ladies to be? You pays your money... They are serviceable, but the voices' owners, Stevie especially, still have presence. If their larynxes hold out, the tour will be OK.

There are some signs of interest. If I really believed that this line-up will produce some new music I might even be cautiously optimistic. But yesterday's gone and there aren't really enough tomorrows left...
Old 09-22-2018, 06:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I tend to agree that Second Hand News wasn't the best choice for such a short set. "Oh Well" would have been a much better choice. That being said, I thought Neil and Stevie did just fine with the vocal on that song. And I wonder if they chose Second Hand News as kind of lyrical wink ...

"One thing I think you should know
I ain't gonna miss you when you go
Been down so long
I've been tossed around enough."
Lol! What lyrical wink? The song was written by Lindsey, so I don’t see the point in throwing that into his face

Besides, they were looking at each other and singing at each other. Neil is a gentleman and has nothing against Lindsey. He won’t be part of a crazy old lady’s vendetta.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ugh.

Second Hand News w/o Lindsey.

With a catalog as big as this band has, there is just no effing reason. If Lindsey was no longer alive, it would feel like a tribute.
But given the circumstances, it feels weird, cheap, unimaginative, and disrespectful.

I think I'll sell my tickets.

Like someone said in the video posted in this thread "I have no idea who these people are".
Old 09-22-2018, 06:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I agree with the people saying that Neil is not the best fit.

Billy would have been a way better fit for their live performances, surely.

But Neil is their ticket to a well-sold tour in Australasia and maybe UK.

#corporate_machine
Old 09-22-2018, 07:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post

A second percussionist... and not even hidden this time. Wow, with the backing singers they now have twice as many musicians on stage as they did during 'the glory years'.
That's Taku Hirano who toured with them on the SYW Tour doing a great job.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Or…

ETA: Not to mention he played a white Les Paul Custom on that tour.
too funny! That is a great picture, though. But even though Billy is wearing grey, and looking quite dapper, I always thought Rick was the cuter of the two. That hair, those suit jackets he wore, and of course that phenomenal guitar playing...
Old 09-22-2018, 08:56 PM
button-lip
This message has been deleted by button-lip.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel75 View Post
The harmonies on Little Lies were terrible. I agree with you that Neil is an incredible harmony singer, but it is essential you harmonise with someone that suits your voice and range, it works perfectly with Neil and Tim, it DOES NOT WORK with Stevie and Chris
Well, that's why half of the songs sounded so weird.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by editme2 View Post
Just finished watching the iHeart performance. It wasn't horrible. They seemed genuinely happy to be on stage together, and in general I think they all sounded decent. It is a bit jarring to hear Neil sing Lindsey's parts, especially on "Second Hand News," but he can definitely sing. To be honest, I was mainly disappointed in Miss Nicks. She really refuses to change up anything: same black dress as always, same vocal "flourishes" in "The Chain," same exact performance of "Gold Dust Woman." I thought having Mike in the band might make her more willing and confident to take some different approaches to her songs. Clearly, we'll be getting the same old performances from her on this tour that we've seen time and again. That's too bad. I thought the whole point of firing Lindsey was to open up the possibilities of the band.

Alas, the more things change, the more they stay the same.....
Yeah, good thing we got rid of stuffy old Lindsey who was holding everyone back from doing all sorts of new stuff live.