User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-24-2005, 11:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Cool Collage! Nice pets. I would love to have more different kinds. Everyone always says "eww, a rat for a pet?" but they're kinda cool pets. we babysat one when i was young, and it was really smart.
Yeah I get a lot of negative reactions when people find out that I have rats. I get stupid questions too like "Aren't you afraid you're gonna get the plague?" Whatever.
I've had 13 other rats in the past and couldn't imagine myself without one. I had one named Gordon that I used to take to work with me everyday (I'm a receptionist at a veterinary hospital). I'd let him run around on my desk. He'd steal my paperwork and make nests out of them, he'd take sips of my co-workers' coffee (decaf, thankfully), steal their snacks, and greet clients. He was a great conversation starter and the whole staff and most of the clients really loved him. My coworkers would spoil him rotten and feed him crackers, candy, ice cream, etc. He got so fat that they nick-named him "El Gordo." (Gordo is spanish for fat) But he was the sweetest animal I've ever owned. You could poke him, tug his ears, tug his tail, basically do anything, and all he'd do is get this really annoyed look on his face and then grab your finger and lick it. He'd also lick my nose if I held him up to my face.
I've had other pets in the past -- mice, a tortoise, and parakeets. All but one of the mice never tamed down enough to be really handleable, they smelled really bad no matter how much I cleaned their cages, seemed prone to allergies and they are so small that I always worried about hurting them.
The tortoise was more work than she was worth. Constantly changing water (cause she pooped in it), buying and chopping up produce and mixing it with commercial tortoise pellets, calcium, and vitamin and mineral supplements. And what did I get in return? A pet that did nothing but eat, poop and hide in her little shelter.
The birds were just evil, or at least the female was. She had to be kept seperate from the male because she would attack him and rip out his feathers. She also would fling seed and water at me, bang her cage door, and screech at the top of her lungs ALL DAY LONG.
UGH

Last edited by Miss Vicky; 01-24-2005 at 11:37 PM..
Old 01-24-2005, 11:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky
Yeah I get a lot of negative reactions when people find out that I have rats. I get stupid questions too like "Aren't you afraid you're gonna get the plague?" Whatever.
I've had 13 other rats in the past and couldn't imagine myself without one. I had one named Gordon that I used to take to work with me everyday (I'm a receptionist at a veterinary hospital). I'd let him run around on my desk. He'd steal my paperwork and make nests out of them, he'd take sips of my co-workers' coffee (decaf, thankfully), steal their snacks, and greet clients. He was a great conversation starter and the whole staff and most of the clients really loved him. My coworkers would spoil him rotten and feed him crackers, candy, ice cream, etc. He got so fat that they nick-named him "El Gordo." (Gordo is spanish for fat) But he was the sweetest animal I've ever owned. You could poke him, tug his ears, tug his tail, basically do anything, and all he'd do is get this really annoyed look on his face and then grab your finger and lick it. He'd also lick my nose if I held him up to my face.
I've had other pets in the past -- mice, a tortoise, and parakeets. All but one of the mice never tamed down enough to be really handleable, they smelled really bad no matter how much I cleaned their cages, seemed prone to allergies and they are so small that I always worried about hurting them.
The tortoise was more work than she was worth. Constantly changing water (cause she pooped in it), buying and chopping up produce and mixing it with commercial tortoise pellets, calcium, and vitamin and mineral supplements. And what did I get in return? A pet that did nothing but eat, poop and hide in her little shelter.
The birds were just evil, or at least the female was. She had to be kept seperate from the male because she would attack him and rip out his feathers. She also would fling seed and water at me, bang her cage door, and screech at the top of her lungs ALL DAY LONG.
UGH

hmm, i've recently been wanting to get some really tiny cute birds. You've kind of curbed that desire...
Yeah, rats are neat. The one we sat for would unroll the paper off my dad's candy, and steal cigs out of his pocket, and he wouldn't even notice! I like them...My friend had a turtle, but it was just in water all the time, didn't require as much maintenance. Just put turtle food, and sometimes some fish in there for it to eat... It needed a warm light thing, though...

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 01-24-2005, 11:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up I like rats

My class had a pet rat when I was in the 8th grade...along with a turtle, fish and lizard. We were allowed to take the rat with us to computer class (I went to a small, private school) and one day, I had the rat, and he peed on me. LOL He was so cute and would sit on our shoulders and walk through the other girls' giant hoop earrings. The lizard was cool, but his claws were uber-sharp, so he didn't get held as often. One kid loved holding him though even though he would get scratched up.

I don't like birds. My aunt brings her freakin' parrot to all family functions and I was afraid my uncle was going to kill it at Christmas. LOL They are too noisy.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

hmm, i've recently been wanting to get some really tiny cute birds. You've kind of curbed that desire...
Some people adore birds. I had a friend in high school who didn't really like most animals, HATED cats, but thought birds were the most wonderful things in the world.
I'm just not one of those people. Oh well, I never had any intention of getting birds. I ended up with them the same way I've ended up with the toad, the tortoise, several of my rats, one of the mice, and several fish -- their owner wasn't taking care of them. So of course stupid, gullible, soft-hearted sucker that I am took them in. Had them for 4 years and couldn't stand it anymore. I finally contacted an avian rescue organization who sent a volunteer out to pick them up. The volunteer actually ended up keeping them as her own pets.
As for the tortoise - I found a woman in my town that does tortoise and turtle rescue. She liked my tortoise so much that she considered keeping it herself. In the end the tortoise ended up in a breeding program at a nearby zoo (don't remember which one).
Some critters just aren't for certain people. There are some critters I'd love to have but probably never will. I'd really like to have a Madagascar Hissing Cockroach or a Millipede. No I'm not kidding. I've always had a fascination with bugs and people really do keep them as pets. I get the distinct feeling though that if I kept either of them I'd either be stuck living with my parents forever because I'd never find a roommate or landlord willing to deal with them (I'll have enough problems with the rats and the crabs) or I'd end up homeless because my parents would throw me out.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Some people adore birds. I had a friend in high school who didn't really like most animals, HATED cats, but thought birds were the most wonderful things in the world.
I'm just not one of those people. Oh well, I never had any intention of getting birds. I ended up with them the same way I've ended up with the toad, the tortoise, several of my rats, one of the mice, and several fish -- their owner wasn't taking care of them. So of course stupid, gullible, soft-hearted sucker that I am took them in. Had them for 4 years and couldn't stand it anymore. I finally contacted an avian rescue organization who sent a volunteer out to pick them up. The volunteer actually ended up keeping them as her own pets.
As for the tortoise - I found a woman in my town that does tortoise and turtle rescue. She liked my tortoise so much that she considered keeping it herself. In the end the tortoise ended up in a breeding program at a nearby zoo (don't remember which one).
Some critters just aren't for certain people. There are some critters I'd love to have but probably never will. I'd really like to have a Madagascar Hissing Cockroach or a Millipede. No I'm not kidding. I've always had a fascination with bugs and people really do keep them as pets. I get the distinct feeling though that if I kept either of them I'd either be stuck living with my parents forever because I'd never find a roommate or landlord willing to deal with them (I'll have enough problems with the rats and the crabs) or I'd end up homeless because my parents would throw me out.
well, those are big bugs, so i could see it, sorta. Like having a pet tarantula. But i really don't like bugs. However, I would like them better if they were all in a glass cage.
I was at the pet store, and I saw the cutest, tinyiest, prettiest, chirpiest birds. I kinda fell in love. they were so little. I decided if it ever got out it might become a cat snack, so...
Another pet i saw in the store was a chinchilla, which was soooo cute. They sleep in the day, did you know that? anyway, they were darling, I wanted one.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 01-25-2005, 12:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation I am fascinated...

Quote:
Some critters just aren't for certain people. There are some critters I'd love to have but probably never will. I'd really like to have a Madagascar Hissing Cockroach or a Millipede. No I'm not kidding. I've always had a fascination with bugs and people really do keep them as pets.
with Praying Mantis'...No matter where I go if I see one on the ground I pick it up and make sure it isnt injured and play around with it, Let it crawl around on my arms and then I place it out of harms way.

I know what I really want as a pet...a goat!!! I want a pet goat just so I can name it "Stevie" and annoy everyone

I would like to own snakes or bats but Deb is frightened to death of 'em (Man, country folk are such cowards, And then they think they can rip on us city kidz )

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 01-25-2005, 12:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
with Praying Mantis'...No matter where I go if I see one on the ground I pick it up and make sure it isnt injured and play around with it, Let it crawl around on my arms and then I place it out of harms way.

I know what I really want as a pet...a goat!!! I want a pet goat just so I can name it "Stevie" and annoy everyone

I would like to own snakes or bats but Deb is frightened to death of 'em (Man, country folk are such cowards, And then they think they can rip on us city kidz )
Praying Mantis especially, and those green "leaf" bugs reeeeaaaallly freak me out. I get all paralyzed...
And i think you should get a goat...

Old 01-25-2005, 12:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: ... in the shadow of this strange, strong love of you

Well, I have the sweetest Golden Retriever on the face of the earth - though I've heard I could be a touch biased. I wish I knew how to post a picture. Imagine the most beautiful and lovingest Golden you've ever seen, then enhance your image 100 times over. That would be her. I love her to death.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

We had a pet praying mantis in the office at my old job. Her name was Bonnie. She was cool but they only live for like 6 months. People keep them as pets too. You can buy all sorts of really exotic looking mantids.
Goat? I don't do livestock, but they're cute enough.
Bats are cool, I especially like the really big fruit bats, but I don't know that I'd want one as a pet.
I LOVE snakes. Absolutely adore them, but one would starve to death in my house. I couldn't feed live or even dead animals to one. The only kind of snake I'd be able to feed would be an egg-eating snake, but I've heard they have bad temperments.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Everyone always says "eww, a rat for a pet?" but they're kinda cool pets. we babysat one when i was young, and it was really smart.
I love rats! They're excellent pets and they are a lot more intelligent and affectionate than most people think. I wish I could keep rats again (maybe someday when I'm not switching residences all the time.) They're fun little animals, and great if you don't have the space for a cat or dog.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:26 AM
takenbythesky
This message has been deleted by takenbythesky.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnchantedSLN
I love rats! They're excellent pets and they are a lot more intelligent and affectionate than most people think. I wish I could keep rats again (maybe someday when I'm not switching residences all the time.) They're fun little animals, and great if you don't have the space for a cat or dog.
Ah! Another rat liker, well i'll be...
oh, and who's mr. dave, and why should he be happy?

Old 01-25-2005, 10:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My boyfriend and our Chessie (named "Gypsy", BTW) . . .

We had fun in the snow this weekend

Well, someday when we're older
And my hair is silver gray
Unbraid with all of the love that you have
Like a soft, silver chain . . .
Old 01-25-2005, 11:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I know! I know! They are the coolest animals! I feel the same way about cicadas, too.
Quote:
I love snakes, too! I'd never thought about bats, but a snake would be such a great pet. I love ball pythons. I think if I got my own place and had one, though, my Mom wouldn't ever come visit me!
Old 01-25-2005, 11:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh, and Heather, Gypsy is a beautiful dog!
Old 01-25-2005, 11:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
We had a pet praying mantis in the office at my old job. Her name was Bonnie. She was cool but they only live for like 6 months. People keep them as pets too. You can buy all sorts of really exotic looking mantids.
Wow! That is so cool!
Quote:
I LOVE snakes. Absolutely adore them, but one would starve to death in my house. I couldn't feed live or even dead animals to one. The only kind of snake I'd be able to feed would be an egg-eating snake, but I've heard they have bad temperments.
I couldn't feed animals to a snake, either. That would be the big thing keeping me from getting one even though I love them.