User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-06-2021, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
but am I wrong in thinking she should have told the press and her/Lindsey/FM fans exactly what happened? I don't even think Lindsey really understands why he was fired.
she did tell everyone. she wanted to happily dance around in her old age surrounded by only adoring yes people.

i don't doubt Lindsey knows full well what exactly happened and who said what. FM community is very leaky.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-06-2021, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
The revelation of Christine's email is what led me to feel the way I do.

Now that the tour's over, Mick's speaking positively about Lindsey. Stevie called Lindsey her great musical love on CBS last year.

If the new lineup won't make new music, a tour with Lindsey would be more fresh for me than a tour with Neil and Mike.
I did multiple shows in 2018-2019 and the performances were like copies of the master recordings and they dragged. With Lindsey in 2014-2015, I felt I could rock to things (Little Lies, Say You Love Me, YMLF, IKINW) because he'd be eyeing it up with Mick and John which in turn took stuff up a notch. Even though Gypsy got slower through the years, it just sounded better to me on the cocktail kit and with Lindsey playing/soloing.

Still don't think the Five will play together again. And it stinks.
yeah, I'd go back and watch that interview again. She fell into a trap and was digging herself out of it with that comment. It was PR, and her body language gives her away.

The interviewer said, as if it were a fact, that Lindsey was Stevie's great love. And Stevie on autopilot said "Yes" and then realizes what she's said, and was more like, well he was my great MUSICAL love (her emphasis on 'musical' was very intentional) making it clear that in terms of great LOVE love it was other people. I *think* without watching it again she says there were a "couple" great loves. She does not include him in that category, she deftly puts him over in his own category of "great MUSICAL love".

I reallllly expected (and wanted) the interviewer to follow up on this by asking who WERE those actual great loves but she didn't. Total f*** up on interviewer's part.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post

I reallllly expected (and wanted) the interviewer to follow up on this by asking who WERE those actual great loves but she didn't. Total f*** up on interviewer's part.
Probably Joe Walsh and Mick..at least she doesn't discriminate on looks

Old 02-06-2021, 10:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Probably Joe Walsh and Mick..at least she doesn't discriminate on looks
it'd be really nice if she had actually loved most any of the few men she dated who were actually GOOD guys who would've stuck by her (Paul Fishkin seems to be one of them). You know, the ones she talks about in interviews now as "there were a few who actually really liked me and didn't have hangups about my success".

But drama queens love the drama.
Old 02-07-2021, 01:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd say that $tevie's greatest love was always in the mirror, looking back at her. I truly doubt $he ever loved anyone more than her own success. $he's a narcissist's narcissist.
Old 02-07-2021, 02:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I'd say that $tevie's greatest love was always in the mirror, looking back at her. I truly doubt $he ever loved anyone more than her own success. $he's a narcissist's narcissist.
You’re probably right.

However, can you blame her? She became the big star of a band largely defined by its rhythm section and the host of great guitarists that passed through its ranks.

As people around here have pointed out, Lindsey was the golden boy and she was the afterthought, largely dismissed, and had to fight to prove her worth. She was the one completely dependent on the others. Now she’s forever the first woman inducted more than once in the Hall of Fame.

So, to have gone from being disposable to becoming so successful in and out of the band that she now calls the shots in the band must have skewed her. How could it not?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-07-2021, 10:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Now she’s forever the first woman inducted more than once in the Hall of Fame.
Congratulations to her and Irving! It's interesting that Stevie wasn't inducted in 2006 or 2007. When she was first eligible.

I think down the line Stevie will come out with a message that states there are many women of color who should have preceded her as inductees: Ms. Dionne, Diana (solo), Selena, Chaka, Tina (solo), Grace Jones, and Patti Labelle.
Old 02-07-2021, 11:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I think down the line Stevie will come out with a message that states there are many women of color who should have preceded her as inductees: Ms. Dionne, Diana (solo), Selena, Chaka, Tina (solo), Grace Jones, and Patti Labelle.
NO $HE WON'T! There's nobody more important than herself. Just ask her.
Old 02-07-2021, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
NO $HE WON'T! There's nobody more important than herself. Just ask her.
She hasn't commented on the Lady A battle. Boy has Vanessa Carlton. I don't think Vanessa Carlton does anything but sit on Twitter all day.
Old 02-07-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
she did tell everyone. she wanted to happily dance around in her old age surrounded by only adoring yes people.

i don't doubt Lindsey knows full well what exactly happened and who said what. FM community is very leaky.
95% of it has trickled out. That's for sure.
Old 02-07-2021, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
You’re probably right.

However, can you blame her? She became the big star of a band largely defined by its rhythm section and the host of great guitarists that passed through its ranks.

As people around here have pointed out, Lindsey was the golden boy and she was the afterthought, largely dismissed, and had to fight to prove her worth. She was the one completely dependent on the others. Now she’s forever the first woman inducted more than once in the Hall of Fame.

So, to have gone from being disposable to becoming so successful in and out of the band that she now calls the shots in the band must have skewed her. How could it not?
the skewing started well before she had anywhere near the kind of power in the band she has now. Sure her real power began when she went solo and the rest of the band had to swallow the fact that she could easily walk away from them for good. Then of course once she had huge success with WH which proved BD wasn't just a fluke, the deal was well and truly sealed. Especially when LB's solo albums (or Christine's) didn't even come close to matching hers in sales etc.

But plenty of people in and around the band have talked through the years about how the Rumours-era success really went to her head and it became harder and harder even for the band to get in touch with her through the layers of sycophants and handlers and a$$-kissers surrounding her starting then. She LOVED being a STAR and moved lock, stock, and barrel into her own Norma Desmond land. Fame and stardom skewed her first and most. Drugs pushed the delusions even further. The real business power didn't come til the 80s, and she was already well and truly skewed by then.
Old 02-07-2021, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But plenty of people in and around the band have talked through the years about how the Rumours-era success really went to her head and it became harder and harder even for the band to get in touch with her through the layers of sycophants and handlers and a$$-kissers surrounding her starting then. She LOVED being a STAR and moved lock, stock, and barrel into her own Norma Desmond land. Fame and stardom skewed her first and most. Drugs pushed the delusions even further. The real business power didn't come til the 80s, and she was already well and truly skewed by then.
Her confidence grew by leaps and bounds with the success of “Dreams” on the charts and the celebrity magazine coverage (wasn’t she on the cover of People in 1977?). I think she grew into a narcissist — I don’t think she was one before she was a celebrity. Maybe that’s true of many big stars, I don’t know. (Remember how introverted she sounded talking to both Jim Ladd and Laura Gross in 1976 during studio time? Nothing at all like the celebrity she became only a year or two later.)

And by the late 1970s, when Tusk was finally out, Stevie was a Grade A narcissist. It was obvious from the way she talked and the fragmented things she said and even the way she posed for photos that she adored the character she created — I think to the point that she could no longer really distinguish between that character and the woman she was deep down. She began to believe her own publicity, as the saying goes. The others may have been amused at first, but I think they grew frustrated with it. They wanted Stevie to come back down to earth once in a while.

The narcissism charge was showing up in concert and album reviews probably before Tusk. Remember Hilburn’s characterization of Nicks in his review of the Fleetwood Mac 1982 show at Irvine Meadows? By the time this appeared in the paper, it already felt like yesterday’s news.

Quote:
Nicks, who appears to have gained enormous confidence from her recent solo success, sang Monday with an intensity that matched Buckingham’s own drive. She even has shed some (though far from all) of that narcissistic aura that has made her something of a caricature in rock.

—“Star Power Sparkles at Irvine Meadows Amphitheatre” (Robert Hilburn, LA Times, Oct. 20, 1982)

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 02-07-2021, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Her confidence grew by leaps and bounds with the success of “Dreams” on the charts and the celebrity magazine coverage (wasn’t she on the cover of People in 1977?). I think she grew into a narcissist — I don’t think she was one before she was a celebrity. Maybe that’s true of many big stars, I don’t know. (Remember how introverted she sounded talking to both Jim Ladd and Laura Gross in 1976 during studio time? Nothing at all like the celebrity she became only a year or two later.)

And by the late 1970s, when Tusk was finally out, Stevie was a Grade A narcissist. It was obvious from the way she talked and the fragmented things she said and even the way she posed for photos that she adored the character she created — I think to the point that she could no longer really distinguish between that character and the woman she was deep down. She began to believe her own publicity, as the saying goes. The others may have been amused at first, but I think they grew frustrated with it. They wanted Stevie to come back down to earth once in a while.

The narcissism charge was showing up in concert and album reviews probably before Tusk. Remember Hilburn’s characterization of Nicks in his review of the Fleetwood Mac 1982 show at Irvine Meadows? By the time this appeared in the paper, it already felt like yesterday’s news.
my only quibble here is with male rock critics' opinions about her during the 70s and 80s but especially the 70s. Most didn't "get" her and were blatant a**wipes to and about her in their reviews. The misogyny was palpable then and somewhat appalling in retrospect.
Old 02-08-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
my only quibble here is with male rock critics' opinions about her during the 70s and 80s but especially the 70s. Most didn't "get" her and were blatant a**wipes to and about her in their reviews. The misogyny was palpable then and somewhat appalling in retrospect.
I agree. I rooted for her because she was an extraordinary performer! The fact that she could rock so hard more than some men was fascinating to me.
Women in rock and roll? Just not an easy job or career. And I thought the reviews of her work were definitely unfair.
I can't stand what she became over time. But, I'll always root for the fact that she pioneered concert performances with extreme intensity and showmanship that left some men in the dust.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 02-08-2021 at 01:20 PM..
Old 02-08-2021, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's interesting that Stevie wasn't inducted in 2006 or 2007. When she was first eligible.
Much like Fleetwood Mac wasn’t inducted until 1998, five years after they were eligible.

THE Stephen Hopkins