Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-23-2006, 09:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Aaaand another FM mention re: Dixie Chicks

Okay, that's it! I'm buying this album after work today. I planned on getting it anyway, but now I MUST have it immediately!

Published May 23, 2006

Chicks convert stories into songs

By KYLE MUNSON
REGISTER MUSIC CRITIC

The Dixie Chicks' cover of Fleetwood Mac's "Landslide" on their last album was no fluke.

Turns out it was serious foreshadowing for the lush Southern California rock sound of the Chicks' fourth and finest studio album, "Taking the Long Way," released today.

The best-selling female group in history — 30 million CDs and counting — has shed most remnants of its Texas twang in favor of an orchestral roots-pop sound achieved with help from a host of collaborators. Martie Maguire's banjo remains, but woven into a bed of acoustic guitars and rich strings that build to a glorious crescendo in nearly every song. Her sister, Emily Robinson, still plays fiddle, but her solos such as the angular one in "Silent House" enhance the finely sculpted pop arrangement rather than burst through with hot bluegrass licks.

This is a good thing. No. 1: Because with lead singer Natalie Maines, all three Chicks blend their voices to harmonize better than ever before. No. 2: Because these 14 songs are that good, taking the long way to reach the California sun via the Twin Cities.

Los Angeles-based A-list producer Rick Rubin (Slayer, Slipknot, Run-D.M.C., Johnny Cash, etc.) enlisted veteran Minnesota songwriters Dan Wilson (Semisonic) and Gary Louris (the Jayhawks) as key tunesmiths. Wilson co-wrote six songs, including the first single, "Not Ready to Make Nice" — yes, the song that addresses the fallout from Maines' infamous bashing of President Bush three years ago onstage in London.

But for all the controversy that still swirls around the Chicks, this album ends up far more personal than political. The appropriately titled "Lullaby," easily the album's most hypnotic song, was written for the seven kids spread among their three nuclear families. "Silent House" was inspired by Maines' grandmother, who's battling Alzheimer's. Robinson and Maguire chronicle their struggles with infertility in "So Hard." "Lubbock or Leave It" is a rocked-up diatribe against Maines' hometown and small-town attitudes, co-written by guitarist Mike Campbell from Tom Petty's Heartbreakers.

Other collaborators include: Sheryl Crow, Keb' Mo', Linda Perry, Neil Finn, Pete Yorn, John Mayer and Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith.

Don't expect songs in the vein of "Goodbye Earl," "There's Your Trouble" or "Sin Wagon" — the spunky, rowdier Chicks of yore. Rubin instead focuses on the Chicks' intertwining voices and the tiniest of sonic details — a softly chiming triangle in "Easy Silence," or the shimmering guitar treatments of the album's standout track, "Voice Inside My Head."

There's a bigger helping of soul in the form of the Motown-flavored "I Like It" (co-written with Louris) and the album-closer "I Hope," the Chicks' version of gospel with an assist from L.A.-born bluesman Keb' Mo', previously performed on TV to raise money for Katrina relief.

One can only hope that the Chicks do justice to these spellbinding recordings on their upcoming "Accidents & Accusations" arena tour.

Not even they could afford to bring all their famous friends on the road, but it's a sure bet the Chicks will need a string section to recreate their newfound California studio sound across the country and around the globe.

Copyright © 2005, The Des Moines Register.
Use of this site signifies your agreement to the Terms of Service (updated 1/3/2003).
Old 05-23-2006, 09:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia
The best-selling female group in history — 30 million CDs and counting
That's a frightening thought.

Although I may like her politics, I seriously think that Natalie Maines has one of the worst singing voices in music history.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky

Although I may like her politics, I seriously think that Natalie Maines has one of the worst singing voices in music history.

Wow, really? I think she's kind of loud/yelling at times, but other than that her voice is spectacular, IMO.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky
How many popular all-female groups can you name, though? And then how many good ones? There aren't very many.

Some great ones at Motown back in the 60s, of course (The Supremes being at the top of the heap), but they sold many more singles than they did albums, and there simply weren't as many people to buy them.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i've had this cd for a couple days now and i've listened to it many times. i was never a big chicks fan before, but i definitely am now. i'm totally buying this cd today!