Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default FM: RockOpera: the Musical?

So, I've had this idea for a minute....we'll never read a tell-all book by Stevie Nicks and we certainly won't ever watch the FM story unfold on the big screen or the small screen for that matter. What if Mick sells his publishing rights to a playwright and then produces and astounding musical Ala Jersey Boys or Green Day's American Idiot style?

The ideas (on paper) put into creativity and transformed into a theatre music masterpiece are endless. The story would most definitely capture FM history (in the eyes of Mick) and be more on the historical lines of a musical, than say American Idiot (a musical about the rock stars album, that features fictional characters).

This musical is very rich with storyline (of rocks most (in)famous soap opera band) as well as the music, itself. Of course, it would date back to at least 1967 and transform the audience to present day and beyond. Those of you that have seen Jersey Boys will certainly envision what I am typing about. For those that have not, just imagine the journey that FM has taken in a play/musical atmosphere with all the drama/heartbreak/success/drama/fake bands/divorces/affairs/hit singles/drama/reunion/etc.

This thread is for fun...please all be as creative and outlandish as you wish, without rewriting history (of course). I ask that you list the most influential songs that FM have recorded/played over the years that would complete this musical journey.
There are no specific rules to the creativity you can come up with, with the small disclaimer that THIS IS NOT about SN and LB joining FM, but about the whole bands journey in establishing fame and fortune. (Although the majority songs from 75-87 “hit” period are obviously acceptable). In the journey to success, there may be one or two musical numbers that played a significant role in the band forming, performing, continued success, etc. Such as John Mayall, Clapton, Santana, The Beatles, Beach Boys, Everly Bros., Joplin, Hendrix, or even as far back as Chicken Shack, Elmo James, Willie Dixon, or even Elvis.

To get you all started I have listed a couple:
My Heart Beat Like a Hammer
Shake your Moneymaker

also included the promos to the above mention musicals:
JB's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x29Ztn4ehC8
AI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L10mJ7PTHN0
Old 01-10-2013, 11:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FierySequences View Post
So, I've had this idea for a minute....we'll never read a tell-all book by Stevie Nicks and we certainly won't ever watch the FM story unfold on the big screen or the small screen for that matter.
Why? Why are you so sure we will never watch a FM story on TV? Is there something I don't know?
I think a good movie about Fleetwood Mac story would be longer than Gone with the Wind, so a miniseries broadcast would be a better idea, like The Jacksons: An American Dream, The Tempations or The Beach Boys: An American Family. I don't loose hope of watching some day a good miniserie about Fleetwood Mac.

And about Stevie's book, I read circa 1997 she said she would write an autobiography when all their ex-lovers wives were dead or too old to care, but I don't know if this quote is true (doesn't sound very Stevie, and I can't even remember where I read it).

Anyway going back to your topic, of course any Rumours song

Last edited by Villavic; 01-10-2013 at 11:31 PM..
Old 01-11-2013, 06:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Good album to start with...

Dreams for Stevie
Go Your Own Way for Lindsey
and Dont' Stop for Christine

Each of those songs have a statement behind them.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
Good album to start with...

Dreams for Stevie
Go Your Own Way for Lindsey
and Dont' Stop for Christine

Each of those songs have a statement behind them.
Yes.

Anyway, I have ideas about a movie about the making of Rumours, but it wouldn't work as a theatrical musical. Instead, I really do think a Broadway show would have to be about the fans--how the fans read the Rumours narrative. And how those songs convey individual fan's feelings about love and the sexual revolution. Just my two cents (see below)

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

wow That topic went over like a lead balloon, thx for your replies tho. TrueFaith, I actually like your idea, sounds interesting, and of course it would mean more to the fans, both the particepants and the audience.

To MacShadows, I agree
Old 01-12-2013, 07:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Why? Why are you so sure we will never watch a FM story on TV? Is there something I don't know?
I think a good movie about Fleetwood Mac story would be longer than Gone with the Wind, so a miniseries broadcast would be a better idea, like The Jacksons: An American Dream, The Tempations or The Beach Boys: An American Family. I don't loose hope of watching some day a good miniserie about Fleetwood Mac.

And about Stevie's book, I read circa 1997 she said she would write an autobiography when all their ex-lovers wives were dead or too old to care, but I don't know if this quote is true (doesn't sound very Stevie, and I can't even remember where I read it).

Thx for your reply VillaVic, I hope you are right about a movie or miniserious. I think by now if we were going to see something like this...it would have already happened, after That 70's Show craze and the movies you mentioned were being made.

As for Stevie's book, yes she has also (more recently)said in interview that IF she were to right a book, it would just be snippits of her career, and how she was feeling at the time. Ex: the day she joined FM, the day Dreams hit #1, etc. I don't know which interview this was, but I assume this is common knowledge among us Mac fans, not neccessarily the general public.

Thx fotr your input.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think its a great Idea.ABBA has their thing plus other bands have theirs too.

Also I would love to see FM do a Fleetwood Mac on Ice with ice dancers dancing to their hits while FM plays the tunes live.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 01-12-2013, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Yes, this for a time was her stock answer about writing a memoir or autobiography. Recently it changed to "I'd only write about the good/magical parts"
Old 01-13-2013, 09:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Yes, this for a time was her stock answer about writing a memoir or autobiography. Recently it changed to "I'd only write about the good/magical parts"
As all good, white witches should do

I kid, I kid
Old 01-14-2013, 02:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Some years ago in LA there was a theater group that would do classical plays as musicals mashed up with a particular group's songs. I never saw it but they did "Fleetwood Macbeth". It must have been hilarious. I can just imagine the three witches singing Gold Dust Woman about Lady Macbeth. LOL
Old 01-14-2013, 08:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndoingTheLaces View Post
Some years ago in LA there was a theater group that would do classical plays as musicals mashed up with a particular group's songs. I never saw it but they did "Fleetwood Macbeth". It must have been hilarious. I can just imagine the three witches singing Gold Dust Woman about Lady Macbeth. LOL
Nice, sounds like a great show
Old 01-14-2013, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
For some reason my post was uncomplete and I did'nt realize it. What I was writing was:

Anyway going back to your topic, of course any Rumours song would fit in the late 70s era episode, and Silver Springs could be an emotional scene in the musical.

From the Peter Green era, Oh Well. Mick said it was about Peter leaving the band (don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to)
Old 01-14-2013, 12:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
I think its a great Idea.ABBA has their thing plus other bands have theirs too..
I think Jersey Boys is the story of the band, but Mamma Mia is a fictional story about a girl looking for her father, formed with ABBA songs. It is not the ABBA story at all.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think Jersey Boys is the story of the band, but Mamma Mia is a fictional story about a girl looking for her father, formed with ABBA songs. It is not the ABBA story at all.
I believe you are right Villavic, I didn't think I'd like Jboys, b/c I was not a big fan of "Sherry, Walk like a Man" etc. But once I saw it, the other music in it was fanatastic and the script was really well written. I was amazed at all the other songs the Four Seasons recorded that I didn't even know was theirs.

FM (the soapOpera) could appeal to casuals and to ppl who know GYOW/Dreams and then they hear stuff like SYLM, Sentimental Lady, Oh Well, etc and realize "Oh yeah FM did record Hold Me...".
Old 01-15-2013, 11:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

FierySequences, why are you leaving it up to us to write this for you? You started the thread. I wanna read your written version of the FM musical.