Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-01-2006, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Red Rover

I've got a few things to say/questions about this song. First of all, I love it. One of my favourite Lindsey tracks now. To me it sounds very sad and the lyrics seem so tragic. The "anyone at all..." part just gets a big reaction from me, possibly because of the intensity of it.

But the lyrics... what are they about? I had never really analysed them but to me it always seemed some sort of tragedy, maybe about someone dying or something. Like I say, I never really studied them so I'm not sure. On the Soundstage DVD Lindsey says it's a song about how there might be gods experimenting on the human race and thinking it's all gone wrong. I can't see any way that this connects to the lyrics. Anyone have any ideas or thought? It has me baffled

Last of all, any guitarists out there be able to help me work out what he's playing as the low melody (i.e. with his thumb) at the part that starts "Anyone at all..." in the Soundstage version? Just the first couple of bars of this section to get me going, please (I'm working with Db Gb Db Fb Bb Db tuning)

Cheers
Old 07-01-2006, 01:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I disliked it at first, but it's grown on me quite nicely.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Lindsey said he wrote this while thinking about God looking down on earth and seeing that the "experiment" wasn't going so well.

EDIT:Ah. You said that. Well, anyway. Did anyone notice that this part:

And I did hear what you said
Now I can go home

Sounds a lot like it says "And the lips you were kissing, night after night?" Or is it just me?

Last edited by johndoe; 07-01-2006 at 01:40 PM..
Old 07-01-2006, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe

And I did hear what you said
Now I can go home

Sounds a lot like it says "And the lips you were kissing, night after night?" Or is it just me?
Erm... that is what he's singing. I never heard the "And I did hear..." thing. I just checked the SYW booklet to make sure and it is "And the lips you were kissing, night after night, all were bathed in blue, all bathed in white".
Old 07-01-2006, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thats weird, because almost every lyrics site has the first one listed. Okay then!
Old 07-01-2006, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe
Thats weird, because almost every lyrics site has the first one listed. Okay then!
Yeah, when you mentioned those lyrics I thought "What part of the song is that in? I'll Google it" and the lyrics site I went to had the one's you'd listed, so I listened to the song again to make double sure. I'm pretty sure it's the "lips" version, but those lyric sites would cause a bit of confusion!
Old 07-01-2006, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just because someone posted their version of the lyrics on the web doesn't actually mean they are the definative lyrics, Quite frankly, I'm amazed at how off some people are with regard to what they hear and interpret. The lyric sheets are included on that album... it doesn't take much effort to read them. On that note, whoever layed out the lyrics (on Say You Will) should be shot. So needlessly messy, with frustratingly odd line breaks.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 07-01-2006 at 03:03 PM..
Old 07-01-2006, 09:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Yeah, yeah...I've heard Lindsey's "gods" explanation, but to me this always sounded like another "got to get away from FM/Stevie" song. Essentially that the magic was gone and he needed to do his own thing before he got lost completly in the madness.

I love this song too.

Take on the situation but not the torment
Old 07-02-2006, 05:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I like the song alot, but I have always thought it was more suited to Lindsey solo than as Fleetwood Mac
Old 07-02-2006, 03:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lightbulb "It's about gods, not God, but gods..."

Yes, Lindsey has said (I'll never forget Livia telling us about talking to Lindsey on a radio show about this song and the first time he told his gods story. LOL!!) he wrote it thinking about gods (like Zeus) looking down on earth and wondering if the world was going well and wanting to maybe pull the plug on mankind.

My 2nd favorite song of all time. I have my own interp on this song and it has to do with the death of Lindsey's father. It also reminds me of my grandfather and how his death affected my family and especially my grandmother.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it's about life & death & Rutheda & Greg & children & all sorts of themes jumbled up into one big aching desire to break through.

(Red Rover, Red Rover, send Lindsey over)

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 07-03-2006, 02:32 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie
Last of all, any guitarists out there be able to help me work out what he's playing as the low melody (i.e. with his thumb) at the part that starts "Anyone at all..." in the Soundstage version? Just the first couple of bars of this section to get me going, please (I'm working with Db Gb Db Fb Bb Db tuning)

The studio version of Red Rover is played in open G (D-G-D-G-B-D) with a capo on the 3rd fret, and the live version is played in open G tuned down a half-step (Db-Gb-Db-Gb-Bb-Db).

I'm not sure exactly how it's played, I've always had trouble with this one.

The tuning you had, by the way, is the tuning for the live version of Say Goodbye.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniLindsey
The studio version of Red Rover is played in open G (D-G-D-G-B-D) with a capo on the 3rd fret, and the live version is played in open G tuned down a half-step (Db-Gb-Db-Gb-Bb-Db).

I'm not sure exactly how it's played, I've always had trouble with this one.
Aside from the guitar arrangement--which seems complicated enough--there is the not small matter of the complexity of the meter of this piece. I'm not really sure what's going on in terms of beats to the measure, but either it's an unusual number (like a 5 or a 9) or there is something bizarrely syncopated between a more standard meter & the placement of the lead vocal line against that meter. When you listen to the song casually, it's hard to get the feel of the beat--it doesn't fall where you expect it.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 07-03-2006, 10:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Cool Hehe.

Quote:
...it doesn't fall where you expect it.
I think that was Lindsey's point.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
When you listen to the song casually, it's hard to get the feel of the beat--it doesn't fall where you expect it.

Which was pretty much the initial comments/complaints about "Go Your Own Way" back in 1976.