The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:48 PM

That's not the point, I don't think we need new revelations or more details about her personal life.
The fact is that we we lack a definitive and accurate biography about Stevie, and Stephen Davis can be the one to do it.
Zoe Howe's work was full of little mistakes that could be easily spotted by any long time fan, which denoted she spent too little time researching informations and checking the sources for her book, in my opinion she didn't handle it professionally probably because she didn't take the subject seriously.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
That's not the point, I don't think we need new revelations or more details about her personal life.
The fact is that we we lack a definitive and accurate biography about Stevie, and Stephen Davis can be the one to do it.
Zoe Howe's work was full of little mistakes that could be easily spotted by any long time fan, which denoted she spent too little time researching informations and checking the sources for her book, in my opinion she didn't handle it professionally probably because she didn't take the subject seriously.
Yes you have a point. The Zoe Howe book drove me nuts because of all the little errors and things she left out.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Yes you have a point. The Zoe Howe book drove me nuts because of all the little errors and things she left out.
I haven't read all of her book, I searched for it online and read some to see if it was worth to buy it, but I ended up being disappointed.
I don't know if it's that, but I noticed that all her other biographies regarded music acts from very different genres than Stevie so it's possible that her own personal tastes influenced her work?
Old 04-16-2017, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
I haven't read all of her book, I searched for it online and read some to see if it was worth to buy it, but I ended up being disappointed.
I don't know if it's that, but I noticed that all her other biographies regarded music acts from very different genres than Stevie so it's possible that her own personal tastes influenced her work?
Her tone was just really condescending imo and her writing style was almost as annoying as CAH. She came up with different nicknames for cocaine and said at one part how she was running out of ideas for them. And there was this part she talked about the Rumours footage on YouTube and she said like "Lindsey is not on the camera much but when he is, he complains about being tired from the shows"...like well, he ALSO plays a really pretty song at one part and talks about Walter Egan's album and something to do with the Beach Boys. Just a lot of things like that. Like you said before, it seemed like she didn't take it seriously and had a very certain tone.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Interesting. I've actually never read the Zoe Howe book, but I may give this one a shot.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Interesting. I've actually never read the Zoe Howe book, but I may give this one a shot.

I'm not a Stevie expert so I was in no position to notice minor mistakes. I found it an interesting and engaging book to read. Her style comes across as rather cynical at times but I didn't mind that. I wouldn't personally compare her writing style to CAH. Its clear Zoe Howe is a professional writer. If you've read a lot of other SN/FM related books though you might find it annoying as she's largely mined her material from other books and news articles so you'll get a sense of deja vu.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-17-2017, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Interesting
Mick's last book was so disappointing. Nothing new to report. He never mentioned the fight about Silver Springs or Stevie's klonopin addiction. He barely even mentioned Rick and Billy and the post Lindsey years were about one page.
At least his first book did reveal interesting things. I loved the story of the stalker woman who hunted him down for years and finally found him. It was scary but also funny.