User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy spencer View Post
This is interesting digging through my old stuff! Just wondered what you all think of my latest and last?
"Precious Little" is THE Jeremy Spencer album!! A fantasic record, above all my expectations when I heard that it would be released.
The songs, the band, the production -- everything is so well balanced. And of course, Jeremy's singing and playing!

The title track is my favourite!
"Bitter Lemon", "Many Sparrows", "Psychic Waste", "Trouble And Woe"... hard to pick one among these gems.

"Red Sky Blues" was a really cool "modern blues" that was available for downloading on the first Jeremy Spencer website. Around 1998-99 at the time of the India concert. I hope that one gets a proper release one day.
(Then of course, there's "Bird Of Paradise" )

Jeremy:
I don't mean to be pushy or anything, Jeremy, this is just out of curiosity.. but are there any more plans to record more with the Ytterbø band in Norway or any other place? I noticed your "latest and last", as in "the last and nothing more"?

Daniel

Last edited by dansven; 04-04-2009 at 04:43 PM..
Old 04-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
I cited "Psychic Waste" as my favorite recent track. I'm no expert, but I assume that made its first appearance on Precious Little (GORGEOUS title track, by the way -- more back-up singers!! ).
Well we heard Psychic Waste on the In Concert CD from 1998. I know Jeremy doesn't seem to like that In Concert CD very much, but I remember my excitement in receiving my CD copy back in the day!
Old 04-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Well we heard Psychic Waste on the In Concert CD from 1998. I know Jeremy doesn't seem to like that In Concert CD very much, but I remember my excitement in receiving my CD copy back in the day!
Oh shoot, really? I don't have In Concert. In fact, not sure I had heard of it 'til now.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Oh shoot, really? I don't have In Concert. In fact, not sure I had heard of it 'til now.
Well it wasn't the easiest CD to obtain - my copy actually came from a guy who had bought a heap intending to sell them for profit. However either Jeremy, Heart to Heart, or the record people threatened him with legal action if he tried to sell them. I had tried to buy one off him but he sent me one as a gift because he wasn't allowed to sell them. Great album though, I played it constantly when I received it.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Ledgie

[QUOTE=Doctor Brown;77206]

It will be interesting to hear Blue Horizon's thoughts on meeting Danny. I think that we are lucky that Danny idolized Peter Green, and was able to come in and play with the ability that he did.

I met Danny twice with my friend.... only briefly after a couple of gigs in London. Because he went to school with my friend and obviously had a connection and a rapport with him he seemed fairly relaxed on both occasions, but I came away with the impression that Danny was being swept along on a tide that was really hard for him to handle. FM was riding really high in 1969 and since joining the band everything was turning to GOLD for them. Being that young, living in South London and coming from a working class background and then catapulted into one of the biggest bands around would have been hard for anyone to handle.

The first time I met him he looked really tired having been on the road for a few weeks and his finger tips on his left hand were red raw, which I found surprising at the time, but those guitar players amongst you will know that Danny had a unique style of vibrato using his left hand to push and pull those six strings. Didn't seem to bother him though!
He seemed very upbeat about things and was enjoying the attention of the fans etc, and would have chatted for alot longer, but Dinkey Dawson their roadie interrupted saying they had to leave asap. He was just a regular guy with a great deal of talent and I loved and still love his guitar playing and singing.

Having read this thread I would add that FM as a live act at that time, was very reliant on Jeremy's contributions including his EP takes, which went down a storm with the audience and seemed to fire up the rest of the band, especially Peter who would break out into his r&r songs (Jenny Jenny, Long Tall Sally, Twist and Shout etc). Jeremy was very much the leader when center stage, just as Peter was.

Jeremy today is playing better than at any time during his career imo, and I hope at some stage will play a few gigs around the UK. I will be their (wherever!!) hopefully, as the last time I saw him was back in the early 70's at the Marquee in London with 'Albatross'. Also another album as good as PL would be most welcome.
Any news on the above Jeremy?

Great thread........by the way.

Blue Horizon
Old 04-05-2009, 07:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default jeremy, I love your new stuff

Dear Jeremy,

The album is beautifully recoded. You picked a great backing band that lets you settle in. Your slide tone is rich and supple. Psychic waste is a standout. So is trouble and woe, Don't stop could have been played by you 40 years ago without any change. The title track is great.
Is there any significance in moving from Dr Brown to Dr G?

8^)

regards,

doodyhead
AKA vinnie c
Old 04-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Would you like to do the math?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
Dear Jeremy,

The album is beautifully recoded. You picked a great backing band that lets you settle in. Your slide tone is rich and supple. Psychic waste is a standout. So is trouble and woe, Don't stop could have been played by you 40 years ago without any change. The title track is great.
Is there any significance in moving from Dr Brown to Dr G?

8^)

regards,

doodyhead
AKA vinnie c
Dr. Brown to Doctor J?
Thank you 'Doodyhead'. None of my names first, middle or sur begin with B. So who am I singing about? It's been up for interesting speculation for many! Some say Elmore James, some say Jeremy... what do you think?
Old 04-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Prescious Little is a great album with a lot of fun moments and honest moments that transition nicely together. Whether or not I agree with the more honest statements is irrelevant; that there is honesty makes it refreshing.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-06-2009, 06:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Doctor J

Well for what it is worth, it has been one of my favorites of yours whether "Brown" or "J". Were you ever a basketball fan?
Do you still play "I can't hold out" and Brownie Mcgee's "Stranger Blues"?

cheers

vinnie c
Old 04-06-2009, 08:15 AM
Senior Ledgie

Favourite Jeremy tunes/performances would be Got To Move (BBC version,) Shake Your Moneymaker, Hang On To A Dream (BBC version,) Preachin’ (BBC version.)

If there’s any criticism of Jeremy’s work it usually comes from the Mr Wonderful album and the fact most of his performances on that album start exactly the same. But for me, I really enjoyed his work with the band, especially the tunes mentioned above. The BBC Sessions album is a real highpoint featuring some of his best performances.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My Heart Beats Like A Hammer

He Will Burn You Down
Old 04-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool

Old 04-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Surprise Partie 27th of november 1968

Those two Jeremy Spencer songs plus Peter Green "Homework" used to be on You Tube, but were taken off some time back. Do you know whatever happened to them?

Anyway the picture quality is much better on these than the ones that were removed

It's from a french tv-show "Surprise Partie" from the 27th of november 1968.

Ms Moose
Old 04-14-2009, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Moose View Post
Those two Jeremy Spencer songs plus Peter Green "Homework" used to be on You Tube, but were taken off some time back. Do you know whatever happened to them?

Anyway the picture quality is much better on these than the ones that were removed

It's from a french tv-show "Surprise Partie" from the 27th of november 1968.

Ms Moose
It looks like they have been playing live in front of the camara. However when you take a close look at Danny during Jeremy's solo on "My Baby's Sweet", you can see that he makes the chord switches at the wrong time. So, playback since we can't hear the mistake?

Don't know what happened to the YouTube uploads.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Without a doubt, my favorite Jeremy performances are his versions of "Honey Hush"--both the rocking version on Kiln House and the bluesier, piano-driven version on the BBC disc.