User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoork_1 View Post
Mmm, yes something pulled the trigger, and I think e.g. Santana contributed to that...

/z
Sort of the "influenced" (Carlos) turning around and being the influence on the "influencer" (Peter)...since Carlos has said on numerous occasions that Peter's influence on him was quite great in the early days. (similar with Buddy Guy influencing Jimi Hendrix, then Buddy "borrowing back" from where Jimi took it.)
Old 05-06-2010, 12:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Yes, true, however, those type of jams on "Rattlesnake Shake" (or in the sessions for Then Play On) didn't occur until AFTER Peter had met & jammed with Duane Allman (and the Grateful Dead----during those late 69/early 70 triple bill shows of Fleetwood Mac/Allman Bros Band/Grateful Dead)
Did FM play with the Allmans prior to the 2/11/70 show in NYC? I know FM played with the Dead in New Orleans late January. As far as I know, FM didn't have contact with The Allman Brothers until after the Boston Tea Party shows. There's also "Loving Kind" in Boston from Danny Kirwan. That would take a lot to learn on the fly after hearing the Allman Brothers for the first time.

Peter Green wrote "Albatross" with harmonized guitars at least six months before The Allman Brothers were a band. He knew what he was doing with Danny Kirwan.
The shame of it all is that he'll never get the credit because Green left as FM was on the verge of being one of those great bands.

As for the Santana argument, Carlos Santana owes Peter Green everything for "The Supernatural". While Carlos Santana laments of how he is so influenced by Jimi Hendrix, and John Coltrane, the truth is somewhere in the middle. It's Peter Green. Carlos owes his success to Peter Green. Everytime I hear Peter Green play his solo "Homework" from "Live in Chicago", I think of Carlos Santana. I should be thinking of Peter Green, but some Mexican kid who emigrated to San Francisco stole his style, and tone (yet not his feel, and dynamics, thank god). Later when he becomes famous, he drops the names of Jimi Hendrix (dead rock hero), or John Coltrane (dead jazz hero), as influences. During the eighties, and nineties, it's not cool to mention screwed up mental patients as influences. Yet Carlos stepped up to the plate to finally admit his credits for the Peter Green BBC documentary hoping it would only be viewed in Europe. A true grifter to the end.

Last edited by slipkid; 05-06-2010 at 12:51 AM..
Old 05-06-2010, 01:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post

Everytime I hear Peter Green play his solo "Homework" from "Live in Chicago", I think of Carlos Santana. I should be thinking of Peter Green, but some Mexican kid who emigrated to San Francisco stole his style, and tone (yet not his feel, and dynamics, thank god). Later when he becomes famous, he drops the names of Jimi Hendrix (dead rock hero), or John Coltrane (dead jazz hero), as influences. During the eighties, and nineties, it's not cool to mention screwed up mental patients as influences. Yet Carlos stepped up to the plate to finally admit his credits for the Peter Green BBC documentary hoping it would only be viewed in Europe. A true grifter to the end.
What is "Live in Chicago"? A bootleg?
Think you're being a bit harsh on Santana; he has admitted the influence many many times. I don't see much similarity in their playing styles either, do you have an illustative example from Carlos' catalog?
Old 05-06-2010, 08:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
Think you're being a bit harsh on Santana; he has admitted the influence many many times. I don't see much similarity in their playing styles either, do you have an illustative example from Carlos' catalog?
I've always figured that it's the same thing as Blues Jam At Chess - the track listing being identical. Given that I only only the Blues Jam At Chess album I can't be positive....
Old 05-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh and for a point of interest - if it is of any interest by now - I finally finished listening to the Stevie/Lindsey Live in Boston album today - pretty much three weeks after I started at the Dog and Dustbin album.

I might go back and do the three PG Boston albums now, plus perhaps Live at the BBC, which I can't remember ever actually having listened to - I supposed I did when I got it?
Old 05-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
Did FM play with the Allmans prior to the 2/11/70 show in NYC? I know FM played with the Dead in New Orleans late January.
Oh, yeah. The Allman Bros were on the Warehouse bill in NOLA w/FMac & the GD.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
I was referring to "Blues Jam at Chess". There were older versions of the same material called "Live In Chicago". I have the first three Santana albums including live at the Fillmore West in 1968. There is a trigger in that "Homework" (Green) solo that Carlos picked up. I can't put my finger on it now, I must listen to old Santana.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Oh, yeah. The Allman Bros were on the Warehouse bill in NOLA w/FMac & the GD.
There is no record the Allmans were on the same bill. In fact it was a band called The Flock. The Christopher Hjort book claims the same.

From this website I'm about to link, the Allmans didn't play the Warehouse until March of 1970. BTW, you can thank me later.

http://www.blackstrat.net/Allman-Aud...an-Audubon.htm

So I think it's entirely possible that the Allman Brothers did not influence Fleetwood Mac's harmonized guitar attack. FM would've heard that new British band from 1969, Wishbone Ash before the Allman Brothers. Yet in either case, "Albatross" was recorded in October of 1968, before either band existed. Peter Green was influenced by "Sleepwalk", from Santo, and Johnny. That's where the harmonized guitar idea for Peter Green originated.

Last edited by slipkid; 05-06-2010 at 11:55 PM..