Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up October

I know it's "PINK" October for Breast Cancer Awareness" & I'm all for that, but in the Philly area it's also "RED" October ... for the PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES.

GOOOOOOO PHILLIES!!

Lee
Old 10-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's also my birthday.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:28 AM
Registered

Today, October 4, is the date when 40 years ago that Janis Joplin died. I googled Janis, under "news"- and in new articles, Stevie Nicks' name came up twice. Once was in an article quoting a Big Brother musician, who said he's 70 and doesn't have all the time in the world left, so "get me Pink, get me Stevie Nicks"-- to record a song he co-wrote with Janis from the vault, that he released small-time, with only 500 copies of it pressed, and he'd like to see it recorded by Stevie or by Pink. The Joplin estate balked, then relented, realizing that 500 copies wasn't worth getting all legally-inclined over.
The Joplin estate has finally hired a professional to help 'revive the diminished presence or legacy' of Joplin- in the past decade, especially, Janis is not selling at all, so they hired the same man who runs the still very profitable merchandising of Jim Morrison and--- I forget the other dead star- (James Dean, maybe? Marilyn?)
There are several plans in the works to bring Janis Joplin's name back into public consciousness- Laura Joplin admits that she knew nothing about keeping the legacy strong- one plan is for a jewelry line, 'Pearl's pearls" -- based on Janis' style, not sure if that will work out or not. Sounds like a lot of bracelets and feathers!
The 2 articles than mention Stevie I just saw last night, maybe they belong in the Nicks McNuggets thread that Viv and Michele seem to work hard at keeping updated. I don't have links handy, and they were only brief SN mentions- one of the 2 articles said something like "Stevie Nicks, especially" had replaced Joplin as a symbol of enduring female rock stardom- Well, SN's career is in its 35th year of stardom now, Joplin had less than 3 years for her entire ('famous') career before she died.

Last edited by Nikolaj; 10-04-2010 at 12:47 AM..
Old 10-04-2010, 07:35 AM
Senior Ledgie

I hear what you are saying Lee.

The hunt for RED October is on!

I need some water! H2O:

Halladay, Hamels, Oswalt!

Is there a doctor in the house???

"You gotta believe"~ Tug McGraw
Old 10-04-2010, 08:01 AM
Registered

BLACKCAT!!!!!!
Old 10-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
BLACKCAT!!!!!!
You're sneaky.

ANYWAY.... October is the best month ever. I love November too, but October wins. SO EXCITED.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Senior Ledgie

Hi Luke! You still a DB fan? Early in the year I was angry about losing Cliff Lee, but it's all worked out.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:54 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat View Post
Hi Luke! You still a DB fan? Early in the year I was angry about losing Cliff Lee, but it's all worked out.
It is always great to see you here- I hope you know we love it. I'm a fan, but a bit disillusioned by their direction- trading Haren away for peanuts. The Lee trade was terrible, but getting Oswalt balanced it out. The Phillies are stocked for the NL playoffs.. World Series, all four AL teams are stacked. It'll be entertaining!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
You're sneaky.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
Today, October 4, is the date when 40 years ago that Janis Joplin died. I googled Janis, under "news"- and in new articles, Stevie Nicks' name came up twice. Once was in an article quoting a Big Brother musician, who said he's 70 and doesn't have all the time in the world left, so "get me Pink, get me Stevie Nicks"-- to record a song he co-wrote with Janis from the vault, that he released small-time, with only 500 copies of it pressed, and he'd like to see it recorded by Stevie or by Pink. The Joplin estate balked, then relented, realizing that 500 copies wasn't worth getting all legally-inclined over.
The Joplin estate has finally hired a professional to help 'revive the diminished presence or legacy' of Joplin- in the past decade, especially, Janis is not selling at all, so they hired the same man who runs the still very profitable merchandising of Jim Morrison and--- I forget the other dead star- (James Dean, maybe? Marilyn?)
There are several plans in the works to bring Janis Joplin's name back into public consciousness- Laura Joplin admits that she knew nothing about keeping the legacy strong- one plan is for a jewelry line, 'Pearl's pearls" -- based on Janis' style, not sure if that will work out or not. Sounds like a lot of bracelets and feathers!
The 2 articles than mention Stevie I just saw last night, maybe they belong in the Nicks McNuggets thread that Viv and Michele seem to work hard at keeping updated. I don't have links handy, and they were only brief SN mentions- one of the 2 articles said something like "Stevie Nicks, especially" had replaced Joplin as a symbol of enduring female rock stardom- Well, SN's career is in its 35th year of stardom now, Joplin had less than 3 years for her entire ('famous') career before she died.
Jimi Hendrix
Old 10-04-2010, 10:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
It is always great to see you here- I hope you know we love it. I'm a fan, but a bit disillusioned by their direction- trading Haren away for peanuts. The Lee trade was terrible, but getting Oswalt balanced it out. The Phillies are stocked for the NL playoffs.. World Series, all four AL teams are stacked. It'll be entertaining!

GO REDS again.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Senior Ledgie

I do understand Luke. Organized sports can make a person crazy, and I won't even comment on the Eagles /Vick! (could they have tossed a nicer guy than McNabb? I was talking to Keith about this in Atlantic City--Keith's a very happy Redskin fan right about now.)

But back to Lee--game one at the world series last year, with that behind the back casual catch:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=7116769

it just confirmed there was something other worldly about him! We've had some seriously great pitchers over the years (eg, Steve Carlton), but nothing like this guy. When they traded Lee, a lot of us fans wanted to put out a contract on Ruben Amaro, Jr. (I had already bought a Cliff Lee shirt--not to mention the cost of the tickets!)

I'm definitely looking forward to the World Series, come what may. Utley, Victorino, Werth, Ruiz, Ibanez, & Polanco are all solid hitters. Ryan Howard is amazing when he's connecting, but he's a typical home run hitter--way too many strike outs for the insane money that goes to these guys. And ALL citizens of Philadelphia, wring their hands when Brad Lidge comes out to "close." Still, they all come across as a great bunch of guys--unlike some of the grandiose players of other sports.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

Ugh, the Eagles! I can't even talk about 'em. What a disaster! I still think Big Red should have went when McNabb left. My husband likes the Redskins, so Sunday was an interesting day. He likes McNabb & he's glad they got him.

All I can say is I'm glad there are the Phillies & the U of DE Blue Hens.

Yeah, I LOVED Cliff Lee! I thought they were crazy trading him away. And I almost got a Cliff Lee shirt. I LOVE Chase Utley. I'm afraid though of getting a Chase Utley shirt. I'm afraid then that they'll trade him. And I was hearing rumors of them trading Jason Werth. They are really crazy if they trade him.

Lee
Old 10-12-2010, 05:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

October is lining up to be a great month for me. Anime convention, gaming convention, textiles show, new albums from Bryan Ferry AND Elton John, new series of In Treatment starting in the States that'll hopefully find its way online AND it's one year since I saw the mighty Mac for the first time.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool I think most...

who really know me and my past, know I love October (MLB Playoffs and the start of Autumn) but at the same time there is foreboding sense of dread during this month. It doesn't help things that I have a memory that intensifies things because what may have happened 20+ years ago seems like only yesterday to me

Example: Thursday October 19,1989: I remember my cousin Wendy flagging my Mom & I down on York Street in Muskogee (I was taking Mom grocery shopping at Price Mart located next to K-Mart on Shawnee) and asking if I wanted to hang out/go cruising with her and her brother Wendell (Born 4 days after I was. Story goes Mom was leaving MRMC with me as Aunt Nora was entering the doors to have Wendell) later that evening after she got off work.

At age 19, I had just started working the graveyard shift at Unarco Commercial Products (Manufacturing shopping carts) and passed on the offer because I was tired and feeling that 'black cloud' over my head. My Mom even remembered my mentioning that something bad was going to happen soon...and it did.

That same night, nearly at the same intersection of York Street/North Street, where we talked hours before (Across from the Okla.Emplyoment Agency and adjacent to Greenhill Cemetery), my 2 cousins along with a co-worker of Wendy (Wendy was the asst. manager of Arby's on Main Street, driving to make the night deposit at the bank) were killed instantly when a teenage drunk driver (Running from the Muskogee PD) plowed through the intersection at over 90MPH, hit the dip in the road, went airborne in his early 70's Camaro and hit Wendy's Hyundai passenger side at windows height and crushed to death all 3 in her car.

The driver of the Camaro (Keith Joyce - Someone I knew of from high school), according to the police report, was still trying to put his crumpled car back in gear as he expired (Broken neck). His passenger was thrown completely through his passenger seat into the back seat of the Camaro. He was left paralyzed from the waist down.

My Aunt Nora (Mom's younger sister) sued the city of Muskogee over the accident as the policeman, chasing the Camaro, was to have been found at fault for the causing the wreck (Don't ask me how he was found at fault - I still blame Joyce) and the city settled for $575,000.

If you add my cousins death, to both Debbie & my Dad's death on Oct.22 and my Mom's cousin Linda Sue on Oct.18 (Who also died on York St., but at the intersection of York & Shawnee - when the Bennett/Lister car salesman she was riding with, at the time he was trying to impress her, attempted to run the red light at this major insection and plowed into another vehicle...Linda Sue died immediately. Linda was on the drive after deciding her "1988 Trans Am she had purchased was too much a risky car and that is may get her killed" and was going to trade it in for a non-powerful muscle-car) one can see why I get panicky during the later part of this month.

On the good side though, is my older brother Geary's (Named after our Dad, Geary Allen Johnson) birthday on the 21st (Geary doesn't celebrate his birthday because of memories of Dad's death).

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."

Last edited by estranged4life; 10-12-2010 at 10:07 AM..
Old 12-14-2010, 09:53 AM
Senior Ledgie

Well Merry Cliffness and God Bless Us Everyone! We got Cliff Lee BACK!!!!!!

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/12/14/i...e-shows-value/