Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-26-2020, 07:19 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Rank Stevie’s “Blue” songs

1. Blue Denim
2. Violet and Blue
3. Blue Lamp
4. Blue Water (tbh the demo is better than the 24k Gold version)
Old 08-26-2020, 10:31 PM
Senior Ledgie

This is so hard because I love three of these songs!

4. Blue Water: I've never been a huge fan of this one, kind of dry. The demo is better with her younger voice but still.

3. Blue Denim: A couple of clunky lines make this one third place but its so fun. Definitely the highlight of Street Angel and she did a great job with it live! I wish the mix was even harder rock and more punchy. Probably the best of her collaborations with Mike Campbell.

2. Blue Lamp: This was so hard because I love this song. Its just so ridiculous and literal. She's going on about this hideous blue lamp and christmas angels and it has a such an abnormal structure. Perfect encapsulation of 80s Stevie lol. Stevie's vocal is perfect and the music is so COOL sounding. I don't know if its the keyboards or the guitars but the way they go together really catches my ear from the very first note. I wish there was a soundboard copy of it from the Bella Donna tour because the audience recordings really rock! The end bit about "the light that shines through the shining night" I could listen to on repeat. I kind of get why it didn't make Bella Donna (its so weird) but I wish it had, it would have added a different sort of vibe to the album.

1. Violet and Blue: This one only edges out Blue Lamp if we're talking about the Chris Lord Alge mix from Timespace with those BOOMING drums and reverb-filled choruses. That song becomes an absolute rocker in that mix and I'd argue is her best rock one outside of Edge of Seventeen. Super catchy outside of the weird Stevie-isms. The Wild Heart NEEDED to make room for this song, it does not deserve to be as obscure as it is. I don't even mind that its way too long, its just so fun to bop to. The regular mix is kinda lame as the drums and guitars are pushed back and the keyboard is in front, which I feel makes it lose its punch.

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)

Last edited by Netter75; 08-26-2020 at 10:34 PM..
Old 08-27-2020, 08:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Blue Water for the win. Blue Denim would be a good one for second place if the lyrics weren't so dumb. The other two songs I never could take to.
Old 08-27-2020, 11:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netter75 View Post
This is so hard because I love three of these songs!

4. Blue Water: I've never been a huge fan of this one, kind of dry. The demo is better with her younger voice but still.

3. Blue Denim: A couple of clunky lines make this one third place but its so fun. Definitely the highlight of Street Angel and she did a great job with it live! I wish the mix was even harder rock and more punchy. Probably the best of her collaborations with Mike Campbell.

2. Blue Lamp: This was so hard because I love this song. Its just so ridiculous and literal. She's going on about this hideous blue lamp and christmas angels and it has a such an abnormal structure. Perfect encapsulation of 80s Stevie lol. Stevie's vocal is perfect and the music is so COOL sounding. I don't know if its the keyboards or the guitars but the way they go together really catches my ear from the very first note. I wish there was a soundboard copy of it from the Bella Donna tour because the audience recordings really rock! The end bit about "the light that shines through the shining night" I could listen to on repeat. I kind of get why it didn't make Bella Donna (its so weird) but I wish it had, it would have added a different sort of vibe to the album.

1. Violet and Blue: This one only edges out Blue Lamp if we're talking about the Chris Lord Alge mix from Timespace with those BOOMING drums and reverb-filled choruses. That song becomes an absolute rocker in that mix and I'd argue is her best rock one outside of Edge of Seventeen. Super catchy outside of the weird Stevie-isms. The Wild Heart NEEDED to make room for this song, it does not deserve to be as obscure as it is. I don't even mind that its way too long, its just so fun to bop to. The regular mix is kinda lame as the drums and guitars are pushed back and the keyboard is in front, which I feel makes it lose its punch.
Agree.
Old 08-29-2020, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Violet and Blue and Blue Lamp are near and dear to me, I guess. The latter is the first time I heard Stevie as a solo act; I heard it before I heard Bella Donna. I really loved Stevie during the final few months of her 1983 tour, and Violet and Blue is the first song I heard (from a Jeff Bridges movie) after the tour ended. I invested it with everything I loved about Stevie at that time. But even today when I hear it, I like it quite a bit.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-29-2020, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The other ones never did much for me, but Blue Lamp is one of my all time favorite songs of Stevie’s. I hate that it sort of is lost to the masses and is as obscure as it is - I think it’s one of her bests. She was at the top of her game in the Tusk/BD/Mirage era and those albums have some incredible songs of hers.
Old 08-29-2020, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love the sound and vibe of Blue Lamp, but to me, lyrically it's a bit lazy and too obscure even for Stevie. The Christmas Angel, "give that to her, if that's what she wants".. give her what? The blue lamp?? It's like she putting together something totally literal, an actual blue Tiffany lamp, and some character that we don't know if she's literal (is the "she" really "me" in typical Stevie changing person style) or is it some mythical character or.....?? Her jump is too vague and unclear on this song for me. But it's totally fun to listen to, and I love the video of her working on the ending of it in the studio with Jimmy, because it shows that he clearly understood what made so many of her songs tick...the intertwined tracks of her singing different lines (she does same on end of Sara and others).
Old 08-30-2020, 12:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Violet and Blue and Blue Lamp are near and dear to me, I guess. The latter is the first time I heard Stevie as a solo act; I heard it before I heard Bella Donna. I really loved Stevie during the final few months of her 1983 tour, and Violet and Blue is the first song I heard (from a Jeff Bridges movie) after the tour ended. I invested it with everything I loved about Stevie at that time. But even today when I hear it, I like it quite a bit.
Blue Lamp was indeed the first to be heard of solo Stevie. I was still a teenager and a rabid fan at the time and the Heavy Metal soundtrack was released about a week before the single SDMHA .I remember thinking that it was different and cool at the same time .I viewed her as a Goddess back then and she could do no wrong.

Old 08-31-2020, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't understand why people champion Blue Denim or Blue Lamp. They both suck.
Old 08-27-2020, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMc1990 View Post
1. Blue Denim
2. Violet and Blue
3. Blue Lamp
4. Blue Water (tbh the demo is better than the 24k Gold version)

I couldn’t agree more
Old 08-27-2020, 10:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Blue Denim is probably an average song, but I find it jaunty. It makes me bounce and sing along. It is one of my favorites, even among the not blue songs.