The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I’ve been pretty disappointed by and with Stevie for the last few years. But there’s nothing in this interview that strikes me as offensive or alarming. Exaggerated and revisionist yes, but nothing hateful here. I just see a woman so enthusiastic about what’s happened to her that when she isn’t blathering on and on about what and who she’s grateful about, she’s spitballing all kinds of stuff. She should enjoy the moment she spent decades engineering.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:48 AM
Senior Ledgie

Holy crap the whining about Lindsey continues. GTF over it already people. Congrats to Stevie. This interview is just typical Stevie, the way she's always been. (And no baby, you didn't make the right decision about your kids. But you probably know that already.)
Old 01-10-2019, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by studyinscarlet View Post
And no baby, you didn't make the right decision about your kids. But you probably know that already.)
The decision to have children or not have children is deeply personal...it seems a bit creepy to presume to know what would have been best for her.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:53 AM
Senior Ledgie

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothegypsy View Post
The decision to have children or not have children is deeply personal...it seems a bit creepy to presume to know what would have been best for her.
Creepy? Umm, not killing your babies is not creepy. She'd probably be a grandma by now. She's always talking about these singers like 'daughters', but fact is, they're not. There could have been. ps. She's always talking about how she didn't have children, so that 'deeply personal' bit doesn't fit with Stevie.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by studyinscarlet View Post
Creepy? Umm, not killing your babies is not creepy.
This really isn't the venue for this kind of proselytizing.

Last edited by tothegypsy; 01-11-2019 at 04:46 PM..
Old 01-11-2019, 04:47 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
This is not the appropriate venue for your beliefs about a woman's right to control her own body.
You're a mod here are ya? I see you've been here for a while. Seriously? This discussion has been had many times. Stevie admits the aborts, your complaint was about my mentioning children. I'm addressing your complaint. It's not my problem if you believe killing babies is okay. But, we're actually talking about that cause Stevie talked about it and you complained about it.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's one thing to discuss your dislike of Stevie as a person, her catalogue of work and her live performance but to weigh in on such a delicate matter of abortion is a step too far.
Stevie, as any other woman who's had an abortion, made a choice that was appropriate for her life circumstances. Whether the knowledge is public or not, it should not be discussed by anyone but the person dealing with the issue.
To suggest that termination is akin to killing is just absurd. What an insensitive, heartless person one must be to adopt such an attitude. Goodness gracious, we're not living in the 1950's anymore.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:01 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
It's one thing to discuss your dislike of Stevie as a person, her catalogue of work and her live performance but to weigh in on such a delicate matter of abortion is a step too far.
Stevie, as any other woman who's had an abortion, made a choice that was appropriate for her life circumstances. Whether the knowledge is public or not, it should not be discussed by anyone but the person dealing with the issue.
To suggest that termination is akin to killing is just absurd. What an insensitive, heartless person one must be to adopt such an attitude. Goodness gracious, we're not living in the 1950's anymore.
Let's put it this way. I have my opinion, you have yours. ps. Killing a child(born or yet to be born) is as heartless as it gets. So, do not come at me from that angle. No, it's not the 50's. But does that mean killing is now approved? Nope. The choice was with birth control. 'Termination' is a fancy word for cut up and sucked out. Otherwise, without the 'termination' what happens? No termination...you have a baby. So, what are you 'terminating'? A baby. That's not absurd, it's fact.

But my little comment at the end of my comment seems to have stirred up the pro-aborts. Well, folks I'm pro-life. There it is. My opinion.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Chit Chat forum feels like a more appropriate place for repeating pro-birth, right wing talking points.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:36 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
The Chit Chat forum feels like a more appropriate place for repeating pro-birth, right wing talking points.
Whatever. You know, you started this. I gave my opinion, but you had a problem with someone expressing their opinion. So, don't tell me where to post, what to post etc. I love Stevie. I pray for Stevie. God is awesome. You have a problem with that? Not my concern.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd been a member of this site for almost 15 years but pretty much gave up on it (and the band) after what happened last year. Growing up, Stevie was the one who drew me into the band. I was captivated when I saw the Gypsy video on MTV. So sad to see how things turned out for her. I think Stevie realized she made a mistake with her abortion(s!). Don Henley mentioned the lyric in Sara about the 'heartbeat that never really died' referring to her aborting their child. In the Rooms on Fire video she held onto a baby while singing about dreaming of a 'wanton luxury' and being separated from her dream of having a husband and child. Finally, there is her song 'Goodbye Baby' where she sings 'I'll be with you one day'. Such a heartbreaking song.

Her recent statement about 'probably having boys' comes off as a weak justification. Sad that her mindset was that she had to sacrifice (literally) having a family in order to be a 'star' and not a 'cleaning lady'. This was not the case for her touring mate Chrissie Hynde who had a child with Kinks singer Ray Davies but continued her successful career both with The Pretenders and solo.

I do think there is a lot of bitterness, regret, envy in Stevie now when she thinks of Lindsey and his family. More than anything, I think this has been building within her for a while and Musicares just provided an excuse and opportunity to stab him in the back. IMHO, abortion is a horrible, selfish act and sadly her selfishness is all she has left now. The Rock Hall of Fame award only enables this further. The fact that the other band members went along with what she did last year was awful. A lot of selfishness there too but I guess consistent with how poorly they had treated Bob Welch. At any rate, I no longer consider myself an active fan anymore. I might occasionally listen to a song and lurk here but that's about it. I don't plan on attending any more of their concerts or buy any music releases.

Last edited by Dr.Brown; 01-12-2019 at 10:00 AM..
Old 01-12-2019, 11:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Thank you for posting. I get that folks have different views on this issue, but I think a line is crossed when folks start claiming to know what's best for a woman who is ultimately a stranger to them...even if people feel they know her through lyrics and interviews.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brown View Post
I think this has been building within her for a while and Musicares just provided an excuse and opportunity to stab him in the back.
In the podcast containing the interview with the new lineup of the band, the Rolling Stone interviewer recalled that, when he interviewed Stevie in 2013 at a Fleetwood Mac show, she played her music too loud and Lindsey pounded on the wall to get her to quiet down (rather than handling it a different way).

Behind the scenes, I don't think the two of them have ever gotten along well since 1997. It still baffles me that she chose to work with him on "Twisted."
Old 01-13-2019, 01:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brown View Post
I'd been a member of this site for almost 15 years but pretty much gave up on it (and the band) after what happened last year. Growing up, Stevie was the one who drew me into the band. I was captivated when I saw the Gypsy video on MTV. So sad to see how things turned out for her. I think Stevie realized she made a mistake with her abortion(s!). Don Henley mentioned the lyric in Sara about the 'heartbeat that never really died' referring to her aborting their child. In the Rooms on Fire video she held onto a baby while singing about dreaming of a 'wanton luxury' and being separated from her dream of having a husband and child. Finally, there is her song 'Goodbye Baby' where she sings 'I'll be with you one day'. Such a heartbreaking song.

Her recent statement about 'probably having boys' comes off as a weak justification. Sad that her mindset was that she had to sacrifice (literally) having a family in order to be a 'star' and not a 'cleaning lady'. This was not the case for her touring mate Chrissie Hynde who had a child with Kinks singer Ray Davies but continued her successful career both with The Pretenders and solo.

I do think there is a lot of bitterness, regret, envy in Stevie now when she thinks of Lindsey and his family. More than anything, I think this has been building within her for a while and Musicares just provided an excuse and opportunity to stab him in the back. IMHO, abortion is a horrible, selfish act and sadly her selfishness is all she has left now. The Rock Hall of Fame award only enables this further. The fact that the other band members went along with what she did last year was awful. A lot of selfishness there too but I guess consistent with how poorly they had treated Bob Welch. At any rate, I no longer consider myself an active fan anymore. I might occasionally listen to a song and lurk here but that's about it. I don't plan on attending any more of their concerts or buy any music releases.
I actually think her not having children was SMART. She wasn't going to take the time necessary to raise them that's for sure. What we'd likely have seen would be kids who ended up in rehab -- this is a woman who let her DOG eat COCAINE ffs. NOT good mother material. This is a woman who fed her friend her klonopin when she was at a mega dose just to see what would happen. NOT good mother material. Should she have been smarter and more responsible about birth control? Absolutely. But she shouldn't have had kids to make others feel better. Those kids would be, in my opinion, based on the evidence of her behavior and attitudes, totally effed up. And they would have some nice abandonment issues as she left them to tour the world and get high while they were raised by whomever, and who knows how well. If you're gonna have kids, you should commit to raising them and protecting them from all the abuse and perversion in the world. She wouldn't have done that, and I wouldn't wish that kind of upbringing on anyone. And don't tell me her mother could have raised them or whatever-- why should she, after having done the right thing raising her own kids, get stuck raising the kids of her irresponsible selfish daughter? Nope, I think everyone was better off with her not having them.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I actually think her not having children was SMART. She wasn't going to take the time necessary to raise them that's for sure. What we'd likely have seen would be kids who ended up in rehab -- this is a woman who let her DOG eat COCAINE ffs. NOT good mother material. This is a woman who fed her friend her klonopin when she was at a mega dose just to see what would happen. NOT good mother material. Should she have been smarter and more responsible about birth control? Absolutely. But she shouldn't have had kids to make others feel better. Those kids would be, in my opinion, based on the evidence of her behavior and attitudes, totally effed up. And they would have some nice abandonment issues as she left them to tour the world and get high while they were raised by whomever, and who knows how well. If you're gonna have kids, you should commit to raising them and protecting them from all the abuse and perversion in the world. She wouldn't have done that, and I wouldn't wish that kind of upbringing on anyone. And don't tell me her mother could have raised them or whatever-- why should she, after having done the right thing raising her own kids, get stuck raising the kids of her irresponsible selfish daughter? Nope, I think everyone was better off with her not having them.
I agree with this. Since Stevie brought up the possbility of children in this interview I think it is fair game to discuss her own words about having/not having children however I wish the discussion would not turn into a moral argument on abortion.

For what it is worth, usually when Stevie discusses not having had children, she expresses sorrow about the eight years she lost to Klonopin. I think that is the time she feels like she could have had or raised a child, rather than the earlier years such as during Buckingham Nicks, the peak of Fleetwood Mac or the start of her solo career.

I think her statement about probably having boys was entirely in jest, poking fun at her reputation as a "fairy godmother" to so many women. She jokes that she envisions this house full of sisters of the moon and laments that this never came to fruition but in reality she could have had all boys and her affinity for the female energy would have been useless.

I would love to see Stevie collaborate with more of her "daughters." Her work with Sheryl Crow for Trouble in Shangri-La and Practical Magic is lovely and I love the way her voice blends with Lana Del Rey's in Beautiful People, Beautiful Problems.

I don't even like Taylor Swift, but imagine if she collaborated with Taylor Swift (in the studio, never again live after that one Grammys performance), or Vanessa Carlton, or Haim, or Lorde or even my ultimate fantasy, Beyonce! I would love to see that.