User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Mouse View Post
Would love to hear Neil's epic song "Fingers of Love" with Stevie/Christine on harmony vocals and Mike Campbell on the incredible guitar solo in the song's second half ...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bM4VXZi6z1E" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Thanks for posting this, Sugar Mouse. Are you very familiar with Neil's live shows? The reason I ask is, I'm curious if he always stays to the left on the stage like he does in this video. Because in FM, Christine is always on the left, Stevie in the middle, and Lindsey on the right. Even when Rick and Billy were in FM, that was the same order. I figure Neil will play in Lindsey's usual position, but Mike will probably wander the stage a lot, interacting with Stevie, Neil, and John.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Thanks for posting this, Sugar Mouse. Are you very familiar with Neil's live shows? The reason I ask is, I'm curious if he always stays to the left on the stage like he does in this video. Because in FM, Christine is always on the left, Stevie in the middle, and Lindsey on the right. Even when Rick and Billy were in FM, that was the same order. I figure Neil will play in Lindsey's usual position, but Mike will probably wander the stage a lot, interacting with Stevie, Neil, and John.
I've seen Neil perform many times and he doesn't seem to have a preferred side. I've seen him on the left and I've seen him on the right. He usually rotates between piano and guitar during shows, but I assume he'll mostly be on rhythm guitar in Fleetwood Mac. He also likes to wander around during shows. He really loves collaborating and allowing musical magic to happen in spontaneous moments. Those with interest in learning about Neil's performing and songwriting may want to check out the lecture he gave at Yale back in September of 2012. It was about creativity in music and I believe it's still online.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:32 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Mouse View Post
I've seen Neil perform many times and he doesn't seem to have a preferred side. I've seen him on the left and I've seen him on the right. He usually rotates between piano and guitar during shows, but I assume he'll mostly be on rhythm guitar in Fleetwood Mac. He also likes to wander around during shows. He really loves collaborating and allowing musical magic to happen in spontaneous moments. Those with interest in learning about Neil's performing and songwriting may want to check out the lecture he gave at Yale back in September of 2012. It was about creativity in music and I believe it's still online.
I have to check that out. I'm sure it will be interesting.

Here they are jamming together in Maui. I think that the girls will stay on the left together. Neil and Mike will be on right but Mike will probably move around a bit between Stevie, Neil and the rhythm section.

I think GYOW can stay in the set. This band have never hidden their drama. They wear it on their sleeve. It's also a crowd favourite that everyone sings along to.

I like scruffy Neil but for these shows, maybe he will spruce up a little. (Stevie will probably give him a few tips!)

ETA: Ty for posting the film of Neil talking about his songwriting process here. I will watch it in full later and share my thoughts. As I've said previously, I believe he is one of the best songwriters of all time from southern hemisphere. http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57931

Last edited by Missy; 05-22-2018 at 02:15 AM..
Old 05-23-2018, 02:38 AM
Senior Ledgie

As has been noted, Lindsey cannot be replaced. But I am hoping the band uses this as a chance to do some career showcase/retrospective of their earlier work, which would be very worthwhile. And I think there's a possibility of new material being produced down the line. Sad that Lindsey won't be there but I am sure the quality of these shows will be very good with the first rate talent involved. And we'll see where it goes from there.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy View Post
As has been noted, Lindsey cannot be replaced. But I am hoping the band uses this as a chance to do some career showcase/retrospective of their earlier work, which would be very worthwhile. And I think there's a possibility of new material being produced down the line. Sad that Lindsey won't be there but I am sure the quality of these shows will be very good with the first rate talent involved. And we'll see where it goes from there.
Couldn't agree more.

For me, I think it's best to think of this as a "new band" as I expect the setlist and sound to be very different.

I hope they dig deep into the Danny Kirwan and Bob Welch pool of songs as there are some gems there than should sound sweet with Mike and Neil.

Danny's song "Dust", in particular", sounds like it could have been written by Neil. Danny (and Bob Welch to a lesser extent) had a very similar songwriting style to Neil with sweet melodies, introspective lyrics, and spacious musical textures.

I was just listening to Danny Kirwan's Fleetwood Mac song "Dust" and then Neil's song "Edible Flowers' (co-write with his brother Tim) and marveling at the beauty of the two songs and how they seem to have arisen from the same songwriting well. See below ...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/B9cNu2ZMaBg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wZQDZVlELV0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>