Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-19-2005, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Says you.
That is just my opinion, however I know a lot of other parents who feel that it is a subject that doesn't belong in the school systems because it inadvertently promotes adolescent sex.

Look, I'm just going to back off of this one. Because I understand both sides of this issue. And also I understand the AIDS epidimic, not just in America, but the entire world. Which is why I have been such a staunch supporter of such charitable organizations like Debt AIDS Trade Afria (DATA), and Catholic Relief Services.

So...I'm going to quietly exit.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Ha!

O'Leilly was on The Daily Show last night and Jon Stewart kicked his ass.

O'Lielly: You liberals add insult to injury.

Stewart: Yes, we do, but you guys add the injury.

That's because he is no Ann when it comes to confrontation...

"SHUT UP!" (to Al Franken) and although we all were feeling his pain, he just lets his emotions get involved, which is hard not to do.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking O'Really is the kinda guy...

Quote:
Ha!

O'Leilly was on The Daily Show last night and Jon Stewart kicked his ass.

O'Lielly: You liberals add insult to injury.

Stewart: Yes, we do, but you guys add the injury.

I'd like to shove his own head up his ass so he can wear himself as a hat! (Another candidate it Hannity followed by Rev.Flawed-well)

Brian "Ah, Those f**kin' liberal Ledgies have made me see the light" j.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 10-19-2005, 04:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation We were taught...

sexual education in biology in High School (Biology is mandatory for all Oklahoma High School students) and I didnt hear anyone complain about it like they do now (we're talking the late 1980's)

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 10-19-2005, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511
That is just my opinion, however I know a lot of other parents who feel that it is a subject that doesn't belong in the school systems because it inadvertently promotes adolescent sex.
I find it silly that you're blaming school systems for promoting the innate sexual urges that teenagers have. The idea that we should have no sexual education in schools, especially nowadays, to help teens practice the sex that they're going to have anyway in the safest possible manner is just absurd to me.

Quote:
Look, I'm just going to back off of this one. Because I understand both sides of this issue. And also I understand the AIDS epidimic, not just in America, but the entire world. Which is why I have been such a staunch supporter of such charitable organizations like Debt AIDS Trade Afria (DATA), and Catholic Relief Services.
I sincerely hope you aren't comparing the spread of HIV and AIDS in American teens with that of those in Africa. One of my best friends died of AIDS and I can't even entertain the idea of not giving teenagers the information on how to practice sex safely in order to avoid getting such a heinous disease. Should they abstain from sex altogether? That's not for me to say, though it is the best possible way to avoid getting diseases. But to *only* promote abstinence without giving them the necessary information on how to have safe sex if they're going to partake in it is irresponsible and unrealistic.

Old 10-19-2005, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
. . . But to *only* promote abstinence without giving them the necessary information on how to have safe sex if they're going to partake in it is irresponsible and unrealistic.

The PTA thanks you Mary Joe - now let's go kick Imogene's a$$

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 10-19-2005, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind

I can't wait for that show on DVD early next year.

Old 10-19-2005, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Senators demand more information from Miers

Response to questionnaire described as 'incomplete to insulting'

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The senators in charge of Harriet Miers' confirmation are demanding more information from her before hearings begin, one describing the Supreme Court nominee's answers so far as "incomplete to insulting."

Judiciary Committee Chairman Arlen Specter, R-Pennsylvania, and senior Democrat Patrick Leahy of Vermont agreed Wednesday to begin Miers' hearings on Nov. 7, but also jointly sent a letter to the White House counsel asking her to more fully answer a questionnaire she turned in Tuesday.

The two senators also plan to ask the White House to provide information about Miers' work for President Bush, something the White House has said previously it will not do. "A number of Republicans have asked for non-privileged information," Specter said at a news conference.

Miers returned a 57-page questionnaire to the Senate answering questions about her legal career and background and such issues as how she would deal with court cases involving the Bush administration if confirmed as the replacement for retiring Justice Sandra Day O'Connor.

Specter and Leahy said both Republicans and Democrats on the committee felt she did not tell them enough.

"The comments I have heard range from incomplete to insulting," Leahy said.

"Senator Leahy and I took a look at it and agreed that it was insufficient," Specter said.

Bush spokeswoman Dana Perino said the White House appreciated the timing of the hearings, had received the senators' letter and would respond soon.

Perino said of Miers: "From the first day when she was nominated, she told Senator Specter that she had years of files to go through and she would work to finish the questionnaire as soon as possible, but she would likely have to send follow-ups to provide additional information."

The senators said an official request for "non-privileged" information from the White House would come after they saw Miers' response to their new questions.

Among other things, they want her to explain more about her temporary Washington, D.C., bar suspension for nonpayment of dues and for her to double-check that she submitted all of her litigated work to the committee.

"The committee has, for example, identified additional cases not included in your original response," they said.

More specifics sought
Specter and Leahy also want her to explain specifically how she would handle cases dealing with the Bush administration, where she now serves in the important legal post of White House counsel. In her questionnaire response, Miers said she would comply with the "spirit and letter of the law ... the Code of Conduct for United States Judges and other applicable requirements."

Specter and Leahy responded: "We are aware of the statutes and codes that generally govern these matters, but recusal decisions of Supreme Court justices are more complicated because they are not subject to further review. The committee would like you to address the issues specific to your situation."

The two committee leaders want the answers from Miers before Wednesday, Oct. 26, another bump in the road for the 60-year-old White House counsel. "I think it's been a chaotic process, very candidly," Specter said.

Bush picked Miers, whose private law practice consisted almost entirely of representing corporate clients, to be O'Connor's replacement three weeks ago. Many Republicans had hoped Bush would pick a prominent conservative with a record on abortion and other issues.

While no Senate Republicans have publicly opposed her nomination, the reaction among the chamber's conservatives has been mostly tepid.

Abortion ban backed
Democrats who support abortion rights also are beginning to question Miers after the revelation that she pledged unflagging opposition to abortion as a candidate for the Dallas City Council in 1989. She backed a constitutional amendment to ban the procedure in most cases and promised to appear at "pro-life rallies and special events."

O'Connor has cast the pivotal vote in a string of 5-4 rulings in recent years that sustained abortion rights, upheld affirmative action and limited the application of the death penalty.

Specter refused to guarantee when a vote would occur.

"There is a keen interest in many quarters on concluding before Thanksgiving, and that's a fine target if it can be accomplished," he said. "But we're going to do it right. We're not going to do it fast."

Democrats and Republicans have refused to give up their rights to hold up Miers' confirmation vote in committee, which was done for now-Chief Justice John Roberts, Leahy said. That means that her committee vote could come as late as two weeks after the completion of the hearings.

"I think that's appropriate," Leahy said. "This is not a John Roberts where we've had a whole lot of material -- still not as much as I would have liked -- but a whole lot of material, the August recess time to go through it, and a person of a different nature."

Senators have yet to get the confidential FBI background report on Miers, Specter said, and the American Bar Association rating of her suitability to serve as a justice will probably be finished right before hearings begin.

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/10/....ap/index.html

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 10-19-2005, 04:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
You Designing Women freak! haha
Old 10-19-2005, 04:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I can't wait for that show on DVD early next year.
OHHH is it really!? Gotta phone call to make....
Old 10-19-2005, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers
well that explains a lot
No kidding. In my school the Health teacher showed students how to put a condom on using a banana!
Old 10-19-2005, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I find it silly that you're blaming school systems for promoting the innate sexual urges that teenagers have. The idea that we should have no sexual education in schools, especially nowadays, to help teens practice the sex that they're going to have anyway in the safest possible manner is just absurd to me.

I sincerely hope you aren't comparing the spread of HIV and AIDS in American teens with that of those in Africa. One of my best friends died of AIDS and I can't even entertain the idea of not giving teenagers the information on how to practice sex safely in order to avoid getting such a heinous disease. Should they abstain from sex altogether? That's not for me to say, though it is the best possible way to avoid getting diseases. But to *only* promote abstinence without giving them the necessary information on how to have safe sex if they're going to partake in it is irresponsible and unrealistic.
No I'm not comparing! I'm just saying that I am well aware of the AIDS epidemic and that is why I support those organizations both financially and vocally.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze
No kidding. In my school the Health teacher showed students how to put a condom on using a banana!
Mine, too. We used to have "health fairs" every year before Christmas. In place of classes all day long, we'd move from room to room to hear speakers and receive flyers, pamphlets, books, condoms; all kinds of stuff.

Old 10-19-2005, 05:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

So...I'm going to quietly exit.
Sex ed does NOT "promote" adolescent sex. It just offers important information that kids need to know. I think kids should always be discouraged from having sex, they're too immature and they have more important things to focus on. But they really have to know how to protect themselves if they want to be stupid.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Mine, too. We used to have "health fairs" every year before Christmas. In place of classes all day long, we'd move from room to room to hear speakers and receive flyers, pamphlets, books, condoms; all kinds of stuff.
Our sex ed began in 5th grade when they separated the boys from the girls and explained the sex organs and such. They left out the obvious part that the penis and vagina have to actually come in contact with one another. But that was inferred by the graphic images of their anatomy and description of the sperms' travels.

Just before this my Mom took out a library book for me that explained stuff. Parents, I think that is a good way to go. It wasn't as embarassing as my mom saying, "When a man and woman really love each other..."