User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-11-2022, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Default This week in 1983 December 1983

Nightbird hit the charts at #63 after being released November 30, 1983. It would soon be promoted on Saturday Night Live at the end of December and then on Solid Gold early February 1984. It peaked at #33 and was leapfrogged by Christine's Got A Hold On Me when it entered the top 40.

Bringing the album The Wild Heart to a crashing end

Last edited by Macfan4life; 12-11-2022 at 01:04 PM..
Old 12-11-2022, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Holy cow. Those were the days! And when she'd wear the SB like a poncho with her shoulder showing!

I wonder why Stevie never played Nightbird in concert after SNL.

I guess that synth wouldn't really capture the audience but Nightbird's one of her masterpieces.

Also, it gave Lori solo time (live, on the album it's sung with SS).

Nowadays, she could have Marilyn Martin sing it with her.
Old 12-11-2022, 01:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here is the Solid Gold performance that was recorded in December or January 1983 and debuted on Solid Gold February 4, 1984.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb2ty18YFBQ
Old 12-11-2022, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Nightbird hit the charts at #63 after being released November 30, 1983. It would soon be promoted on Saturday Night Live at the end of December and then on Solid Gold early February 1984. It peaked at #33 and was leapfrogged by Christine's Got A Hold On Me when it entered the top 40.

Bringing the album The Wild Heart to a crashing end
On a similar note, “If Anyone Falls” was released as a single on September 3, 1983 and Madonna’s breakthrough single “Holiday” was released on September 7, 1983. Kind of a changing of the guard moment.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-11-2022, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"If Anyone Falls" is much better than "Nightbird" IMO.

The rationale for her solo career ("I'm too prolific a writer") disappeared after her first two solo albums (also IMO).
Old 12-11-2022, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
On a similar note, “If Anyone Falls” was released as a single on September 3, 1983 and Madonna’s breakthrough single “Holiday” was released on September 7, 1983. Kind of a changing of the guard moment.
And Stevie's hated her since
Old 12-11-2022, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember being angry that Nightbird was released because even at age 13 I knew it would not chart well. I was hoping for Enchanted, I Will Run To You, or Nothing Ever Changes.
Rock stations were still playing more from Bella Donna than Wild Heart. As disappointed I was for Nightbird, I was thrilled Christine's solo album was shortly to be released.
Old 12-11-2022, 02:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
And Stevie's hated her since
In that 1985 interview she laughed and inferred she influenced a few "people" with her fashion sense i.e. talking about Madonna. The comic irony that Stevie sat for that interview with lace gloves on. Who was influencing who?
It was Stevie chasing Madonna with neon gloves in 1985. Hardly an influencer anymore, she was chasing trends which was nothing short of cheezy. And she was so high that you notice all the dancing scenes in Talk To Me are shot far, were away not to see her face.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 12-11-2022 at 03:00 PM..
Old 12-11-2022, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It was Stevie chasing Madonna with neon gloves in 1985. Hardly an influencer anymore, she was chasing trends which was nothing short of cheezy.
It was kind of the downfall of her career for over a decade. Between being high as a kite and then tranqued out of her mind, she lost sight of who Stevie Nicks was. It was really sad.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-11-2022, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
In that 1985 interview she laughed and inferred she influenced a few "people" with her fashion sense i.e. talking about Madonna. The comic irony that Stevie sat for that interview with lace gloves on. Who was influencing who?
It was Stevie chasing Madonna with neon gloves in 1985. Hardly an influencer anymore, she was chasing trends which was nothing short of cheezy. And she was so high that you notice all the dancing scenes in Talk To Me are shot far, were away not to see her face.
And Stevie shaded and shamed Madonna for years after that. Told her to kiss people her own age. Told her, Brittney Spears and Christina Aguilera to wear more clothes. She said Madonna has no singular sound.
She wouldn't say that to Harry Styles who runs around stage shirtless.
Old 12-11-2022, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And Stevie shaded and shamed Madonna for years after that. Told her to kiss people her own age. Told her, Brittney Spears and Christina Aguilera to wear more clothes. She said Madonna has no singular sound.
For all the miles she had on her, she sure was prudish while judging others.
Old 12-11-2022, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I remember being angry that Nightbird was released because even at age 13 I knew it would not chart well. I was hoping for Enchanted, I Will Run To You, or Nothing Ever Changes.
After his bad experience with "SDMHA" quashing his single "Woman In Love" (which would have been a hit had the two not come out concurrently), I suspect Petty conditioned giving her "I Will Run To You" on her not releasing it as a single.
Old 12-11-2022, 04:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
After his bad experience with "SDMHA" quashing his single "Woman In Love" (which would have been a hit had the two not come out concurrently), I suspect Petty conditioned giving her "I Will Run To You" on her not releasing it as a single.
I Will Run is a good song, but not half as good as SDMHA.
Old 12-11-2022, 04:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
By late 1983 that was water under the bridge. In 1981 and 1982 yes Tom was upset but soon realized and joked about it how he was not happy but the song's success bought him a new house.
By late 1983, Long After Dark was old news being released the previous year with mild success. Tom would have loved to have had his song released the following year.
SDMHA was released about the same time as Hard Promises in 1981.
Stevie went on tour with Tom that summer and the dates she showed up at packed the house. I can see how he was frustrated. His song was given away and the people were coming to see Stevie while his album was not nearly as successful.
I think I will run to you is a good song. But its pretty lame both in the lyrics department and music department. That does not mean it would not have been a good single. But in 1983 I think both Stevie and Tom were trying not to milk each other for success. Stevie's record company should have planned in advance in the peak days of MTV to shoot 3 videos before the Wild Heat tour started.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 12-11-2022 at 04:54 PM..
Old 12-11-2022, 04:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I loved it when Stevie ripped Brittany and Madonna for French kissing on stage. The 24 hour media sensation was at full tilt. It was done simply for shock value just like the Janet Jackson Super Bowl stunt. When you resort to that kind of shock value stunts on stage, the music probably is not very good.
I applaud Stevie when she threw her thunder and shade at them. I also loved it when she said she wanted to strangle Nicki Minaj on American Idol.
You go Stevie!
I can totally see why someone from Stevie's era does not like Madonna. Stevie got famous for her writing and singing. The style just came along but was not what made her famous. There were no videos and you heard her on the radio. Madonna is a packaged commercial. Someone writes songs for her and she creates controversy to sell her image.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 12-11-2022 at 05:06 PM..