Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-13-2003, 07:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Billy Burnette album, Try Me

Is anyone familiar with Billy's solo album, "Try Me"? I noticed in the Penguin discography, both Christine & Mick make guest appearances on this record. Does anyone know which songs Christine is on & which songs Mick plays on?
Old 03-13-2003, 08:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation CM & MF ON TRY ME

Unfortunately, it doesn't say on the liner notes to "Try me" which songs they're on but you can definitely hear Christine on "It ain't over" & "Rock and roll lullabye". I'd imagine Mick played on these songs too but he's one of two drummers listed on the album so I'm not sure which songs he on.

John
Old 03-13-2003, 08:57 AM
Senior Ledgie

Hi "macfan 57"!

As the "resident Billy Burnette freak", I can also attest to the fact that Christine DOES appear CLEARLY on the two songs John mentioned: "It Ain't Over" and "Rock & Roll Lullabye"

As it's hard to decifer which drummer is Mick, I'm leaning towards "Guitar Bug" because you can really "hear" the drums during the song....especially in the parts where there is a pause in Billy singing.

I have ALL of Billy's solo albums, AND I have tapes of guest appearances on soundtracks and other releases, courtesey of our own John Fitzgerald.

[Thanks again for EVERYTHING, John! ]

Hope this helps!
Michele
Old 03-13-2003, 09:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default On CD....

Try Me is one of my favorite Billy albums. I wish we can get this one and others on CD
Old 03-13-2003, 12:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

You're very welcome Michele! ...and I agree with BLY, I hope we can get "Try me" (and all the others that aren't on CD yet) on CD soon!

John
Old 03-13-2003, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks, John & Michele for your help. I just wish some of these albums had more detailed liner notes. I also wish more of Billy's albums were released on CD. It looks like right now hardly anything is available on CD so I just ordered this album on cassette instead. I don't have any of Billy's solo stuff. But I like what he did on "Time", "I'm Not Me" and especially "Behind The Mask". I hope "Try Me" is just as good.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:53 AM
Senior Ledgie

Talking

Your're very welcome!

You definitely WON'T be dissappointed with "Try Me" or ANY of Billy's solo albums.

I see them for sale all the time on Ebay! Some sellers sell 4 albums at a time together for one great price!

Because it's Billy, you have the advantage that not many people know about him, so you really won't have to worry about someone "fighting" you for his stuff.

Simply type in "Billy Burnette" under search and you'll see what's available for him.

As for Billy's albums, however, I have most of them on VINYL and they sound GREAT! I have a great stereo system, so his albums sound GREAT! The only albums of his that I have on cassette are "Coming Home", "Brother to Brother" (courtesy of John), and "Bekka & Billy". I have "All Night Long" and "Are You With Me Baby" on CD as well as "Time" and "Behind the Mask" (as that is the only format these out-of-print albums were available in).

I'm one who will stick with cassettes until they stop making them..the same with VHS. I LOVE my tapes and I will never give them up even if it means I have to learn how to fix a tape player myself!

Anyway, good luck with your Billy searches! It took me a couple of YEARS to complete my Billy collection. I lucked out and found 5 of Billy's albums at a specialty record store, so I only had to hunt down 2 additional albums to complete it...but the two I was missing were the HARDEST to find! I was able to find one at www.californiaalbums.com and the other at www.rockoutlet.com

Have a great weekend!
Michele
Old 03-14-2003, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Michelle,

Any news on the availa-billy-ty of Billy's All Night Long CD?

Since the Penguin Store closed, it seems like that album has disappeared off the face of the earth. Billy's OWN site doesn't even list it in the discography (at least the last time I looked).
Old 03-21-2003, 11:21 AM
Senior Ledgie

Smile

Hey Chili!

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. Since Billy's "All Night Long" CD was released EXCLUSIVELY through the Penguin and NOT released in stores, I don't know how one can obtain a copy.

I will not be contacting Billy until around his birthday, so I'll try to ask him then if he can offer any suggestions.

Grand Avenue Records is the label that the CD was released under, but I'm not sure they are still in business.

The only other option I could think of is Ebay..although I've NEVER seen it listed, I guess it IS possible that one who bought it from here may decide to sell it.

If I hear anything, I'll be sure to post it here!

Michele