The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 02-17-2021, 12:05 AM
johnnystorms's Avatar
johnnystorms johnnystorms is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: new orleans
Posts: 758
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango87 View Post
Can I also add the fabulous demented chicken solo from I Want You (plus the playout)?
I forgot about I Want You. i liked that song!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-17-2021, 12:20 AM
elle's Avatar
elle elle is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 11,546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Here is a list of Lindsey's best guitar jams at the end of songs

Sisters of the moon
Tango in the Night
The Chain
Over and Over (live)
Go Your Own Way
The Smile I live For (Chris solo)
Eyes of the World
Only Over You
I'm So Afraid (his standing ovation song)


What did I miss?
several relatively recent Lindsey solo songs have outros that are in similar vein how he does Eyes of the World solo live these days -

Right Place to Fade / Twist of Fate
Seeds We Sow (electric)

from FM i think Sad Angel also

i adore those fast melodic outros he does
__________________

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-17-2021, 09:37 AM
FuzzyPlum FuzzyPlum is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3,056
Default

Lindsey certainly could have pushed his soloing out into a more prominent place had he wanted, but he was often quite restrained. Though those songs mentioned have very obvious guitar sections, there are plenty of others that have guitar playing that complements the song without standing out.

When I think of Warm Ways, I don't instantly think 'guitar' and yet it's the gentle touch of Lindsey's playing that adds personality to that song (In fact, when I think of Warm Ways and Mystified I think of Peter Green). There are others such as Blue Letter, Think About Me, Hold Me, Empire State etc that have guitar solos under the surface that add to the song but don't necessarily stand out on their own.

Obviously The Killers' Caution is another example of where he lets loose in an outro solo.
__________________

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-18-2021, 07:27 PM
David's Avatar
David David is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 14,044
Default

I had to go listen to “Mary Lee Jones” on YouTube because I remember loving that fuzz-box outro, like Bob Mitchum and Jane Greer’s violent crackup in the automobile at the very end of Out of the Past.
__________________

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-18-2021, 07:48 PM
elle's Avatar
elle elle is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 11,546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Obviously The Killers' Caution is another example of where he lets loose in an outro solo.
and that's such a vanilla, typical Lindsey solo. considering how world over has been in owe about that solo just shows you how spoiled Fleetwood Mac fans are, taking these solos for granted (and even complaining against his solos!) and not appreciating what he's giving us.
__________________

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-18-2021, 11:02 PM
SteveMacD's Avatar
SteveMacD SteveMacD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Buckeye State
Posts: 7,391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
and that's such a vanilla, typical Lindsey solo. considering how world over has been in owe about that solo just shows you how spoiled Fleetwood Mac fans are, taking these solos for granted (and even complaining against his solos!) and not appreciating what he's giving us.
Well, compared to solos on anything by The Killers, sure.

But Fleetwood Mac has had other guitarists.

Lindsey has had a few great solos, and even his basic, simple solos are appropriate for the songs, which is commendable. And, nobody comes close on acoustic. I actually appreciate that he keeps it simple on lead. It keeps things from sounding forced.

However, as a lead player, he’s never had anything as magnificent as “Something Inside of Me,” “Save Me,” “Need Your Love So Bad,” or “Curly” (technically the Bluesbreakers). Compare the 1972 live “Spare Me A Little” to the 1975...
__________________
On and on it will always be, the rhythm, rhyme, and harmony.



THE Stephen Hopkins
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-19-2021, 01:08 AM
elle's Avatar
elle elle is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 11,546
Default

Dave Keuning.
__________________

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-19-2021, 04:34 AM
tango87 tango87 is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post

However, as a lead player, he’s never had anything as magnificent as “Something Inside of Me,” “Save Me,” “Need Your Love So Bad,” or “Curly” (technically the Bluesbreakers).
Matter of opinion. Depends what you're into.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-19-2021, 05:51 AM
FuzzyPlum FuzzyPlum is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3,056
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Well, compared to solos on anything by The Killers, sure.

But Fleetwood Mac has had other guitarists.

Lindsey has had a few great solos, and even his basic, simple solos are appropriate for the songs, which is commendable. And, nobody comes close on acoustic. I actually appreciate that he keeps it simple on lead. It keeps things from sounding forced.

However, as a lead player, he’s never had anything as magnificent as “Something Inside of Me,” “Save Me,” “Need Your Love So Bad,” or “Curly” (technically the Bluesbreakers). Compare the 1972 live “Spare Me A Little” to the 1975...
I personally find the Save Me solo to be somewhat bland and generic-sounding.
Each to their own.
__________________

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-19-2021, 10:01 AM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere out in the back of your mind
Posts: 3,407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I personally find the Save Me solo to be somewhat bland and generic-sounding.
Each to their own.
I agree. It was nothing special. What did make it special was a guitar solo in the middle of the song since unfortunately the Mac did not have a ton of songs like that. As Lindsey says, he is a painter...he looks at the whole song and not a chance to show off his guitar solos which is a shame because Lindsey can rock when he wants to.
__________________

Still I believe.....BACKSTABBING AND BETRAYAL will show us how
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

ROY ROGERS SMILEY BURNETTE BILLY THE KID RETURNS RE1948 11x14" LOBBY CARD
$65.0
ROY ROGERS SMILEY BURNETTE BILLY THE KID RETURNS  RE1948 11x14ROY ROGERS SMILEY BURNETTE BILLY THE KID RETURNS RE1948 11x14" LOBBY CARD #1301
$65.0
ROY ROGERS SMILEY BURNETTE BILLY THE KID RETURNS  RE1948 11x14ROY ROGERS SMILEY BURNETTE BILLY THE KID RETURNS RE1948 11x14" LOBBY CARD #1303
$65.0
ROY ROGERS SMILEY BURNETTE BILLY THE KID RETURNS  RE1948 11x14Billy Wilder and Carol Burnett - Vintage photograph 3683643
$28.9
Billy Wilder and Carol Burnett - Vintage photograph 3683643 picture1920 Elizabeth Burnett & Billy Peasley Fill Salvation Army Barrel Press Photo
$25.88
1920 Elizabeth Burnett & Billy Peasley Fill Salvation Army Barrel Press Photo picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved