The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 01-28-2021, 10:46 PM
SteveMacD's Avatar
SteveMacD SteveMacD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Buckeye State
Posts: 7,391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_drifter333 View Post
I think that Waddy is credited with some guitar but I don't think that they specify which tracks he plays on and his brother did the cover that Stevie hated. Isn't there some slide guitar on a track? I haven't listen to it in ages but that would probably be Waddy contribution. I believe they were all friends around this time and Waddy was one of the ones sitting around getting high all day while Stevie was out "slaving" to make a living.
I’m pretty sure he did slide on the single version of Crying In The Night. Waddy was part of the live band, too.

__________________
On and on it will always be, the rhythm, rhyme, and harmony.



THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 01-28-2021 at 10:49 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 01-29-2021, 03:39 AM
johnnystorms's Avatar
johnnystorms johnnystorms is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: new orleans
Posts: 758
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Not when your voices are all but gone. None of them have much of a singing voice these days.

Is $he STILL talking about her little Rhiannon cartoon, or whatever the f*ck it is? $he's been talking about that for 45 f*cking YEARS. $he's nuttier than a squirrel turd!

Rick is a great guitarist and a great guy, but I'm sorry to say, his name doesn't draw many people. I've gone to see him at blues clubs in Nashville, and can sit at the table right in front of him. I've tagged him in pictures and he's shared my pics the next morning. Again, great guy, but not a seat filler. For such an iconic band, it's a damned shame that one old goat seems to be the only seat filler.
It's not a 'damned shame'. Stevie is a charismatic, kind superstar. I met her on her Timespace tour at the airport in Houston. I was google eyed and stammering in the bookstore... and my friend convinced me to follow her to her gate. I asked for a picture and her handlers said no. She said 'a picture?' i nodded and she brushed past her people and posed for a pic with me.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 01-29-2021, 03:50 AM
UnwindedDreams UnwindedDreams is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,214
Default

^She was nice to sign my name on the Live in Chicago dvd at the signing.

Idt I'll ever meet her in an airport unless I'm taking a G6 at 245am
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 01-29-2021, 05:19 AM
UnwindedDreams UnwindedDreams is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
He was never put in a position to make the demand because people around him knew him well enough to know that if asked he WOULD do so. So they saved Mick the trouble by forewarning him... allowing Mick to consider whether he wanted Lindsey bad enough that he would take Stevie in order to get him. Clearly Mick decided he did want LB that much, and thus put through an offer to Lindsey designed to tip the balance towards Lindsey answering 'yes' ie, your girlfriend can come too.
Stevie, Lindsey, and Mick (not vocally) all participated in a retelling of the story on the Rumours 35 Tour where Lindsey said Mick called him and asked him to join. Lindsey said "If you take me, you've got to take my girlfriend too."

Stevie would do a happy dance on stage. Now I have no idea if Mick was ever able to hear any of this on stage while sitting at the cocktail kit

But now that story seems to be a fairytale!
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 01-29-2021, 10:59 AM
soul_drifter333's Avatar
soul_drifter333 soul_drifter333 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 419
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I’m pretty sure he did slide on the single version of Crying In The Night. Waddy was part of the live band, too.

I forgot about this pic. Stevie looks great here.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 01-29-2021, 12:41 PM
SteveMacD's Avatar
SteveMacD SteveMacD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Buckeye State
Posts: 7,391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Stevie, Lindsey, and Mick (not vocally) all participated in a retelling of the story on the Rumours 35 Tour where Lindsey said Mick called him and asked him to join. Lindsey said "If you take me, you've got to take my girlfriend too."

Stevie would do a happy dance on stage. Now I have no idea if Mick was ever able to hear any of this on stage while sitting at the cocktail kit

But now that story seems to be a fairytale!
They do that with a lot of stories. They’re also bad about leaving out key details if it means a more romanticized version of the story. Like, when Mick met Billy in 1981 at a Dick Clark anniversary taping, Mick neglects to mention that Billy’s drummer was Ian Wallace, Jenny Boyd’s second husband.
__________________
On and on it will always be, the rhythm, rhyme, and harmony.



THE Stephen Hopkins
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 01-29-2021, 07:50 PM
SteveMacD's Avatar
SteveMacD SteveMacD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Buckeye State
Posts: 7,391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
He was never put in a position to make the demand because people around him knew him well enough to know that if asked he WOULD do so. So they saved Mick the trouble by forewarning him... allowing Mick to consider whether he wanted Lindsey bad enough that he would take Stevie in order to get him. Clearly Mick decided he did want LB that much, and thus put through an offer to Lindsey designed to tip the balance towards Lindsey answering 'yes' ie, your girlfriend can come too.
Keith Olsen didn’t say it so Lindsey wouldn’t have to, he said it because that was the reality of the situation.

Give me one realistic scenario where Lindsey and Stevie were still a couple and he joined the band without her. If they hadn’t been together, Lindsey would have turned the band down because he didn’t want to be in Fleetwood Mac. But, Lindsey and Stevie were a couple and a musical partnership. Fleetwood Mac would have listened to the Buckingham Nicks album, become more aware of what Lindsey had been doing prior to joining, heard her songwriting and their harmonies, heard the potential she and Lindsey had together, all with her hanging around them in the studio with a producer who championed the two of them in the first place. There was never Homer’s “f**k that b***h” fantasy scenario, to be clear.

So this canonization of someone for doing something he didn’t do and really didn’t need to do is ridiculous. The only one who actually went out on a limb was Mick Fleetwood.


(With apologies to Sue.)
__________________
On and on it will always be, the rhythm, rhyme, and harmony.



THE Stephen Hopkins
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 01-29-2021, 08:23 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 12,454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Keith Olsen didn’t say it so Lindsey wouldn’t have to, he said it because that was the reality of the situation.

Give me one realistic scenario where Lindsey and Stevie were still a couple and he joined the band without her. If they hadn’t been together, Lindsey would have turned the band down because he didn’t want to be in Fleetwood Mac. But, Lindsey and Stevie were a couple and a musical partnership. Fleetwood Mac would have listened to the Buckingham Nicks album, become more aware of what Lindsey had been doing prior to joining, heard her songwriting and their harmonies, heard the potential she and Lindsey had together, all with her hanging around them in the studio with a producer who championed the two of them in the first place. There was never Homer’s “f**k that b***h” fantasy scenario, to be clear.

So this canonization of someone for doing something he didn’t do and really didn’t need to do is ridiculous. The only one who actually went out on a limb was Mick Fleetwood.


(With apologies to Sue.)
This is torture.

That is all.
__________________
I will CRUSH YOU!!!! KAREN BRING ME MY FLIP PHONE!
And I'm David, not Homer!(we all should be able to change our name, at least once)
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:24 PM
bombaysaffires
This message has been deleted by bombaysaffires.
  #84  
Old 01-29-2021, 08:33 PM
bombaysaffires bombaysaffires is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Coast
Posts: 5,365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
This is torture.

That is all.
Deliberately so.

"Tortured logic is the name we use for an argument that is very complex, and takes the listener on a long trip with many twists and turns, and requires much concentration to arrive at a conclusion mostly due to its complexity."

"Tortured logic is when you have no true support for your argument, so you stretch the limits of logic to an extreme to do so."
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 01-29-2021, 11:29 PM
UnwindedDreams UnwindedDreams is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
So this canonization of someone for doing something he didn’t do and really didn’t need to do is ridiculous. The only one who actually went out on a limb was Mick Fleetwood.
And if you listen to this Baldwin interview, Mick twice places a crown of flowers on Lindsey's head about his loyalty to Stevie, which is why I was surprised.

And now I'm believing Keith Olsen sold Lindsey and Stevie to Mick and that's all. So c'mon Mick... maybe ask your doctor about Prevagen!
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 01-30-2021, 12:48 AM
aleuzzi's Avatar
aleuzzi aleuzzi is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,426
Default

I just listened to the entire interview. When Mick begins discussing the hiring of Christine because she was a great musician, and that’s her being a woman didn’t factor into it, I was so pleased. And then Alec adds: “There is nobody who casts a spell on me like Christine McVie. I love her signing beyond belief. She does something to me I cannot my even describe...” RIGHT ON, Alec Baldwin!

Then, later, Alec talks about how much he love the Bob Welch-era albums, especially MYSTERY TO ME. He even cites (and plays) “Hypnotized.”

He doesn’t enthuse about Lindsey or Stevie in the same way. More generally, he mentions the collective achievement of the RUMOURS-era band, and the songs being everywhere. But he doesn’t talk about Stevie’s signing or cite any of their songs outside of the Tik Tok phenomenon.

I mention this only to remind all of us that there’s was so much more to this interview (including Mick’s interesting discussions of dyslexia and cocaine addiction).

Alec Baldwin is clearly a band fan. But he’s also a Christine (and Bob Welch) fan, and THAT’s worth mentioning!
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 01-30-2021, 01:42 AM
SteveMacD's Avatar
SteveMacD SteveMacD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Buckeye State
Posts: 7,391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Deliberately so.

"Tortured logic is the name we use for an argument that is very complex, and takes the listener on a long trip with many twists and turns, and requires much concentration to arrive at a conclusion mostly due to its complexity."

"Tortured logic is when you have no true support for your argument, so you stretch the limits of logic to an extreme to do so."
The only thing torturous is grown ass adults believing in something about as true as the Easter Bunny. You’re admiring the field of mushrooms and forgetting the pile of cow dung they’re growing out of. Lindsey saying he wouldn’t join without Stevie is every bit the load of crap as the big “Landslide” kiss on The Dance. It’s all BS. A staged, calculated, romanticized/fictionalized version of what really happened/who they are.

There was never a scenario where Lindsey joins Fleetwood Mac without Stevie while he and Stevie were still a couple that doesn’t end with her still joining the band. It was just as inevitable at that point as Christine joining Fleetwood Mac after Peter left.

Remember, we’re talking about the same woman who, at the height of her popularity and at the peak of her career, flew all over the world trying to get Tom Petty to put her in the Heartbreakers. If she was willing to put on that kind of pathetic display when she was one of the biggest rockstars in the world, can you imagine the scene she would have made at Sound City trying to get in a band that was doing everything she wanted to be doing that her boyfriend/musical partner with whom she’d made an album had just joined without her? At a minimum, she would have started cleaning John Mayall’s house in Laurel Canyon just for a character reference.

But, it likely wouldn’t have gotten to that point. It’s not like the band didn’t have a say in it, too. Listen to all of the albums from KH to HAHTF. Think of “Station Man,” “Morning Rain,” “Spare Me A Little,” “Remember Me,” “Dissatisfied,” “Believe Me,” “Just Crazy Love,” “Why,” “Heroes Are Hard To Find,” and “Come A Little Bit Closer.” What do you think the first thing Christine would have thought when she heard Buckingham Nicks?

Because, hate to break it to you, it wasn’t his guitar playing. She’d already played with Peter Green and Danny Kirwan. Lindsey’s a great guitarist, but he’s not at that level as a lead guitarist (which is why he didn’t want to join). No, the game changer for Christine was the harmonies. Plural.

Same for John, BTW.

So, let’s just dispel this glorified fan fiction that St. Lindsey, Lord of the Overdubs, high upon his horse, demanded that Stevie be included once and for all. She would have been in the band eventually anyway. It was really less Lindsey wouldn’t join without Stevie as it was you buy one, you buy both because that’s just how the Buckingham Nicks equation was.
__________________
On and on it will always be, the rhythm, rhyme, and harmony.



THE Stephen Hopkins
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 01-30-2021, 05:25 AM
johnnystorms's Avatar
johnnystorms johnnystorms is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: new orleans
Posts: 758
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
The only thing torturous is grown ass adults believing in something about as true as the Easter Bunny. You’re admiring the field of mushrooms and forgetting the pile of cow dung they’re growing out of. Lindsey saying he wouldn’t join without Stevie is every bit the load of crap as the big “Landslide” kiss on The Dance. It’s all BS. A staged, calculated, romanticized/fictionalized version of what really happened/who they are.

There was never a scenario where Lindsey joins Fleetwood Mac without Stevie while he and Stevie were still a couple that doesn’t end with her still joining the band. It was just as inevitable at that point as Christine joining Fleetwood Mac after Peter left.

Remember, we’re talking about the same woman who, at the height of her popularity and at the peak of her career, flew all over the world trying to get Tom Petty to put her in the Heartbreakers. If she was willing to put on that kind of pathetic display when she was one of the biggest rockstars in the world, can you imagine the scene she would have made at Sound City trying to get in a band that was doing everything she wanted to be doing that her boyfriend/musical partner with whom she’d made an album had just joined without her? At a minimum, she would have started cleaning John Mayall’s house in Laurel Canyon just for a character reference.

But, it likely wouldn’t have gotten to that point. It’s not like the band didn’t have a say in it, too. Listen to all of the albums from KH to HAHTF. Think of “Station Man,” “Morning Rain,” “Spare Me A Little,” “Remember Me,” “Dissatisfied,” “Believe Me,” “Just Crazy Love,” “Why,” “Heroes Are Hard To Find,” and “Come A Little Bit Closer.” What do you think the first thing Christine would have thought when she heard Buckingham Nicks?

Because, hate to break it to you, it wasn’t his guitar playing. She’d already played with Peter Green and Danny Kirwan. Lindsey’s a great guitarist, but he’s not at that level as a lead guitarist (which is why he didn’t want to join). No, the game changer for Christine was the harmonies. Plural.

Same for John, BTW.

So, let’s just dispel this glorified fan fiction that St. Lindsey, Lord of the Overdubs, high upon his horse, demanded that Stevie be included once and for all. She would have been in the band eventually anyway. It was really less Lindsey wouldn’t join without Stevie as it was you buy one, you buy both because that’s just how the Buckingham Nicks equation was.
Do you really believe that Stevie 'flew all around the world' trying to become a Heartbreaker? Or is it more likely that is merely a way of her expressing her admiration for the band?
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 01-30-2021, 08:55 AM
UnwindedDreams UnwindedDreams is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
So, let’s just dispel this glorified fan fiction that St. Lindsey, Lord of the Overdubs, high upon his horse, demanded that Stevie be included once and for all.
What I would just say here is that it's not fan fiction but Mick and Lindsey manufactured fiction. Stevie went along with it as well. 1990 writing is one thing but Mick had different writing in the 2014 book and a different story again in this Baldwin interview...2 years after he fired Lindsey.
Either it's supreme memory loss or romanticization because most people have never heard of Keith Olsen.

Lindsey was nominated ad Patron Saint of Overdubs by Caillat in the Les Paul Award speech
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 01-30-2021, 01:30 PM
David's Avatar
David David is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 14,044
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
There was never a scenario where Lindsey joins Fleetwood Mac without Stevie while he and Stevie were still a couple that doesnÂ’t end with her still joining the band.
I don't know why you're insisting so vehemently on that while rejecting any other scenario as an Easter Bunny scenario. Between 1971 and 1975, Lindsey and Stevie weren't quite as tied at the hip as you imagine. He had done session work without Stevie and he had been on tour with an outfit without Stevie (she later said that he left her in Aspen at the time). For her part, in either 1972 or 1973, she went back up to the Bay Area without Lindsey, and in fact fell in love with someone else, seriously considering staying with this dude and to hell with Buckingham Nicks (and wrote the song "Destiny" about the little interlude). Stevie told Denny Somach in 1980 that she and Lindsey were breaking up already even before they decided to join Mac. So the perfectly plausible scenario is that Lindsey might have decided to take the band's offer to join, even temporarily, just to make some money. You can reject the scenario out of hand, but it's perfectly plausible. He of course still wanted the Buckingham Nicks thing to work, but had already demonstrated that he'd take a time-bounded job to tide him over. Stevie has indicated many times that, certainly by late 1974, she was sick of trying to push the Buckingham Nicks project (which for her meant holding down a crappy day job). She always gave me the sense that, by late 1974, she thought the project was a failure and should be abandoned (but she had nothing else to do except go home to mom and dad).

Quote:
Because, hate to break it to you, it wasnÂ’t his guitar playing.
That flies in the face of everything Mick has ever said about hearing all the guitar work on the BN album.

Quote:
SheÂ’d already played with Peter Green and Danny Kirwan. LindseyÂ’s a great guitarist, but heÂ’s not at that level as a lead guitarist (which is why he didnÂ’t want to join).
Well, of course LB, especially at that point, was no Peter Green -- as a guitarist OR a songwriter. But I doubt the Green legacy was driving the band's decisions during those chaotic years. Green was long gone, as was Kirwan. Welch, Weston, and Walker, and all their respective strengths and weaknesses, were undoubtedly much fresher in the minds of the McVies and Fleetwood. When Welch finally split, the band was nothing but a rhythm section and a singer-songwriter who preferred hanging back musically. Fleetwood Mac could have gone no further without hiring someone.

Quote:
No, the game changer for Christine was the harmonies. Plural.
Oh, now you are completely making that up out of thin air, or at least out of your own conjecture. Christine has NEVER said that she wanted Buckingham Nicks in the band BECAUSE of their harmonies on the BN album. For all you know, she never even listened to the BN album. She has only said that when Buckingham Nicks added live harmonies to HER songs in rehearsal, she loved it. By that time, they were already in the band. There is no evidence anywhere that she wanted anything but a lead guitarist.

Quote:
Same for John, BTW.
If you have any reliable evidence that John listened to the BN album BEFORE those two joined his band, spill it.

Quote:
So, letÂ’s just dispel this glorified fan fiction that St. Lindsey, Lord of the Overdubs, high upon his horse, demanded that Stevie be included once and for all. She would have been in the band eventually anyway. It was really less Lindsey wouldnÂ’t join without Stevie as it was you buy one, you buy both because thatÂ’s just how the Buckingham Nicks equation was.
You contradict yourself in your fanatical craze to push your own glorified fiction. The scenario of "You buy one, you get both" -- which you say you accept -- probably came from Lindsey (or, by extension, from Keith).
__________________

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

FLEETWOOD MAC AUTOGRAPHED/SIGNED JOHN McVIE 8X10; CHRISTINE & LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM
$200.0
FLEETWOOD MAC AUTOGRAPHED/SIGNED JOHN McVIE 8X10; CHRISTINE & LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM pictureMICK FLEETWOOD & CHRISTINE MCVIE - Signed CD - The Very Best of - MUSIC
$176.3
MICK FLEETWOOD & CHRISTINE MCVIE - Signed CD - The Very Best of - MUSIC pictureCHRISTINE MCVIE FLEETWOOD MAC SIGNED AUTOGRAPHED 1977 RUMOURS ALBUM BAS #V28876
$149.99
CHRISTINE MCVIE FLEETWOOD MAC SIGNED AUTOGRAPHED 1977 RUMOURS ALBUM BAS #V28876 pictureFleetwood Mac CHRISTINE McVIE hand signed card
$77.56
Fleetwood Mac CHRISTINE McVIE hand signed card pictureFLEETWOOD MAC BOB WELCH CHRISTINE McVIE Go Your Own Way Rhiannon SLIDE 37
$35.0
FLEETWOOD MAC BOB WELCH CHRISTINE McVIE Go Your Own Way Rhiannon  SLIDE 37 picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved