The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 12-02-2020, 04:47 PM
aleuzzi's Avatar
aleuzzi aleuzzi is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,435
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
...Ray Lindsey and some others tell some great stories about those days in a recorded interview that's somewhere on youtube about how long it took her to find her footing and that her singing on that first short Mac tour was NOT good. So, without LB to polish up her songs for radio, and with her stage persona not yet solidified (the Rhiannon outfit not yet created, no top hat, etc) I would doubt that she would have set the world on fire in the way that she did...
I wouldn’t argue with much of this, though there are several recordings of her from that first tour where she sounds great. From what I gather, she was inconsistent due to fatigue and relentless touring. She couldn’t persist like the rest of them—that is until “Over My Head” and “Rhiannon” changed things. Then, buoyed by self confidence, she became what she became.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-02-2020, 05:24 PM
bombaysaffires bombaysaffires is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Coast
Posts: 5,370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I wouldn’t argue with much of this, though there are several recordings of her from that first tour where she sounds great. From what I gather, she was inconsistent due to fatigue and relentless touring. She couldn’t persist like the rest of them—that is until “Over My Head” and “Rhiannon” changed things. Then, buoyed by self confidence, she became what she became.
Indeed. And I also think some of what Ray was referring to was also that short tour the band did to get some live experience together just before or while recording the white FM album. I recall Mick saying somewhere that he felt it was important for them to have done shows together and various management/label types tried to discourage them. But he said in the end he was glad they did because it helped them solidify playing together even more and when the album was finally finished and they went on that first proper tour they had the experience of those previous shows to draw on.

This was the period where Stevie used to constantly compare touring to "being in the Army" with inane comments like "You have to be where you're supposed to be and you have to be on time" (welcome to the real world). It really showed what a spoiled princess she was up til then. How long was any BN tour??

We've heard Chris talk about lugging her own bags and even crew have talked about her setting up bits of her own gear onstage.... I would bet my mortgage Stevie NEVER so much as plugged in a microphone let alone ever helped carry anything heavy. There are pics of her carrying her big gypsy handbags with her books and things but that's it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-02-2020, 05:53 PM
aleuzzi's Avatar
aleuzzi aleuzzi is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,435
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Indeed. And I also think some of what Ray was referring to was also that short tour the band did to get some live experience together just before or while recording the white FM album. I recall Mick saying somewhere that he felt it was important for them to have done shows together and various management/label types tried to discourage them. But he said in the end he was glad they did because it helped them solidify playing together even more and when the album was finally finished and they went on that first proper tour they had the experience of those previous shows to draw on.

This was the period where Stevie used to constantly compare touring to "being in the Army" with inane comments like "You have to be where you're supposed to be and you have to be on time" (welcome to the real world). It really showed what a spoiled princess she was up til then. How long was any BN tour??

We've heard Chris talk about lugging her own bags and even crew have talked about her setting up bits of her own gear onstage.... I would bet my mortgage Stevie NEVER so much as plugged in a microphone let alone ever helped carry anything heavy. There are pics of her carrying her big gypsy handbags with her books and things but that's it.
Yeah, Chris was a real road warrior, despite writing songs like “Homeward Bound” as early as 72! I love that Polaroid Richard Daschut shared with The ledge where she’s repairing her Höner with pliers or a wrench. She was no pampered darling. Bob Welch once remarked, Christine lived on Dunkin‘ Donuts in the early 70s. I could see her drinking wine and gorging on junk food, taking it all in stride as a hard but good living...To me, that’s a far more heroic story than Stevie’s triumphant rise to superstardom.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-04-2020, 10:01 PM
TrueFaith77's Avatar
TrueFaith77 TrueFaith77 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New York City!
Posts: 4,857
Default

I have met many celebrities, movie stars, and not one off them could equal the star power of Stevie Nicks.
__________________
"They love each other so much, they think they hate each other."

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-04-2020, 10:09 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 12,510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
I have met many celebrities, movie stars, and not one off them could equal the star power of Stevie Nicks.


Who did you meet? Pee Wee Herman?
__________________
I will CRUSH YOU!!!! KAREN BRING ME MY FLIP PHONE!
And I'm David, not Homer!(we all should be able to change our name, at least once)
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-04-2020, 10:33 PM
button-lip's Avatar
button-lip button-lip is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Argentina
Posts: 2,251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
I have met many celebrities, movie stars, and not one off them could equal the star power of Stevie Nicks.
Define star power, please.

And also, who did you meet that are less interesting than Stevie Nicks? Or with less star power?
__________________
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-04-2020, 10:57 PM
TrueFaith77's Avatar
TrueFaith77 TrueFaith77 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New York City!
Posts: 4,857
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
Define star power, please.

And also, who did you meet that are less interesting than Stevie Nicks? Or with less star power?
That ineffable “something” and “It” factor and charisma. She seemed incandescent.

Among the celebrities I’ve met and talked with:

Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Steven Spielberg, George Clooney, Bradley Cooper, Colin Firth, Michael B Jordan, Peter Bogdanovich, Lynn Redgrave (yes, I imagine Vanessa would have given Stevie a run for her money), Warren Beatty and Annette Bening (waited my whole life to meet them!!), Kerry Washington, Meryl Streep, James Toback, Lesley Manville, Whit Stillman, Rachel Weisz (so... I have to say about her we talked for a really long time — she is 2x more beautiful in person and the nicest celebrity I ever met who wasn’t already a friend of a friend), Jessica Chastain, Liev Schreiber, Green Gartside (so cool!!!!), Iris DeMent, David Gedge (when he was sexy sexy!), stupid Michelle Williams, Christine Lahti, and I’m forgetting a bunch more and it’s late.

And a few gay porn stars ��
__________________
"They love each other so much, they think they hate each other."

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 12-04-2020 at 10:59 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-04-2020, 11:07 PM
UnwindedDreams UnwindedDreams is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
That ineffable “something” and “It” factor and charisma. She seemed incandescent.

Among the celebrities I’ve met and talked with:

Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Steven Spielberg, George Clooney, Bradley Cooper, Colin Firth, Michael B Jordan, Peter Bogdanovich, Lynn Redgrave (yes, I imagine Vanessa would have given Stevie a run for her money), Warren Beatty and Annette Bening (waited my whole life to meet them!!), Kerry Washington, Meryl Streep, James Toback, Lesley Manville, Whit Stillman, Rachel Weisz (so... I have to say about her we talked for a really long time — she is 2x more beautiful in person and the nicest celebrity I ever met who wasn’t already a friend of a friend), Jessica Chastain, Liev Schreiber, Green Gartside (so cool!!!!), Iris DeMent, David Gedge (when he was sexy sexy!), stupid Michelle Williams, Christine Lahti, and I’m forgetting a bunch more and it’s late.

And a few gay porn stars ��
Holy cow! You've got a great life

Did you meet Ryan Rose?!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-05-2020, 12:53 AM
bombaysaffires bombaysaffires is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Coast
Posts: 5,370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
I have met many celebrities, movie stars, and not one off them could equal the star power of Stevie Nicks.
Sheryl has said that Stevie totally gives off that aura of being a star.

I've not met her in person (just Mick and Lindsey) but I do wonder how much of that increased with age and longevity in the biz...?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-05-2020, 03:23 PM
elle's Avatar
elle elle is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 11,552
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Sheryl has said that Stevie totally gives off that aura of being a star.?
is that a good or a bad thing? how does that manifest?
__________________

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-05-2020, 04:57 PM
SteveMacD's Avatar
SteveMacD SteveMacD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Buckeye State
Posts: 7,424
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
But about this debate, I think, without Lindsey who knows how would Christine and Stevie songs have sounded.
Thing is, Christine’s songs didn’t sound radically different from her 1971-74 songs, harmonies and all, and she went on to have the majority of Top 40 singles.

I think just having a complete mainstream pop package would have helped them become more successful. As much as I love the Bob Welch era, there was a ceiling to their potential success. He had two or three bubblegum songs, but the rest were pretty heavy subject matter for the Hit Parade. Plus, he was kind of weird looking and had a weakish voice. They made great records, but they were never going to be blockbuster hits. Think about it, Bob Welch’s Carlos Castaneda inspired mystic jazz rock and classic Christine McVie songs produced by Deep Purple’s producer. If that doesn’t scream identity crisis, I don’t know what does. It wasn’t until they moved to LA and started playing up having a woman in the band (Jefferson Starship tour) that they had a Top 40 album.

I don’t know how well Fleetwood Mac would have done without the drama. Fleetwood Mac was selling only moderately better than its predecessors until it came out that the McVies split and that Stevie and Lindsey had mostly split. Then it became a huge hit. Obviously, Rumours. Fast forward to TITN, and its sales started skyrocketing after Lindsey quit.
__________________
On and on it will always be, the rhythm, rhyme, and harmony.



THE Stephen Hopkins
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-05-2020, 08:41 PM
BombaySapphire3 BombaySapphire3 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Posts: 4,222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
. Fast forward to TITN, and its sales started skyrocketing after Lindsey quit.
I really think that the Tango sales began to pick up mostly due to the sequence of the singles released Big Love was kind of another oddity ..I was surprised when it hit top five here and it did not get much airplay after it's chart run. Seven Wonders was a bigger hit at rock radio than the pop charts . It was Christine's two international smashes , accessible pop hits that kept the album buoyant in the charts for so long.If star members jumping ship made albums sell then Time would have been a multi-platinum smash.
__________________
Children of the world the forgotten chimpanzee..in the eyes of the world you have done so much for me. ..SLN.

Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-05-2020, 09:28 PM
SteveMacD's Avatar
SteveMacD SteveMacD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Buckeye State
Posts: 7,424
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
I really think that the Tango sales began to pick up mostly due to the sequence of the singles released Big Love was kind of another oddity ..I was surprised when it hit top five here and it did not get much airplay after it's chart run. Seven Wonders was a bigger hit at rock radio than the pop charts . It was Christine's two international smashes , accessible pop hits that kept the album buoyant in the charts for so long.If star members jumping ship made albums sell then Time would have been a multi-platinum smash.
“Little Lies” was released 25 days after Lindsey’s departure and that was arguably the biggest story in the rock world at the time. Go figure, it was the biggest single off the album. Just a coincidence, right?

And, it’s not that a star members jumped ship, per se. It was another moment of high drama from the band that gave us Rumours. It was an abrupt change, and the first for Fleetwood Mac in 12 years. There was no public drama with Time.
__________________
On and on it will always be, the rhythm, rhyme, and harmony.



THE Stephen Hopkins
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-05-2020, 09:59 PM
BombaySapphire3 BombaySapphire3 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Posts: 4,222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
“Little Lies” was released 25 days after Lindsey’s departure and that was arguably the biggest story in the rock world at the time. Go figure, it was the biggest single off the album. Just a coincidence, right?

And, it’s not that a star members jumped ship, per se. It was another moment of high drama from the band that gave us Rumours. It was an abrupt change, and the first for Fleetwood Mac in 12 years. There was no public drama with Time.
Little Lies is also the catchiest song off of the album with what one critic called one of the biggest hooks of the eighties..Do you really think that Welcome to the Room Sara would have soared into the pop top 5 on both sides of the Atlantic
__________________
Children of the world the forgotten chimpanzee..in the eyes of the world you have done so much for me. ..SLN.

Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-05-2020, 10:16 PM
UnwindedDreams UnwindedDreams is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Do you really think that Welcome to the Room Sara would have soared into the pop top 5 on both sides of the Atlantic
I do! FRONTLINE babeeeeyyy

And the second one.........
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Fleetwood Mac Signed Photo Jacket Display Stevie Nicks, Buckingham & McVie – ...
$2340.0
Fleetwood Mac Signed Photo Jacket Display Stevie Nicks, Buckingham & McVie – ... pictureSIGNED Mick Fleetwood Mac Love that burns Deluxe Genesis Publications Book
$1247.92
SIGNED Mick Fleetwood Mac Love that burns Deluxe Genesis Publications Book pictureFleetwood Mac Signed Guitar Buckingham McVie Fleetwood Autographed Strat -Nicks
$1033.85
Fleetwood Mac Signed Guitar Buckingham McVie Fleetwood Autographed Strat -Nicks pictureMick Fleetwood Signed Fleetwood Mac Vinyl Beckett Authentication Services BAS
$831.51
Mick Fleetwood Signed Fleetwood Mac Vinyl Beckett Authentication Services BAS pictureFleetwood Mac Signed Guitar Lindsey Buckingham Autographed Strat. (Nicks, McVee)
$573.85
Fleetwood Mac Signed Guitar Lindsey Buckingham Autographed Strat. (Nicks, McVee) picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved