Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-03-2022, 10:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
You're out of your mind.
That's exactly what I don't like in that song. Too much repeat I'm ooooout of my mind...

I do love the People think I'm crazy... and People say they know me... sections.

But when she again goes back to I'm ooout.... it's like Please!!! Enooough!!!
Old 08-03-2022, 10:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
That's exactly what I don't like in that song. Too much repeat I'm ooooout of my mind...

I do love the People think I'm crazy... and People say they know me... sections.

I think it’s incredibly sexy
Old 08-03-2022, 10:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Really, the main reason I never cared for OOY is that I've always been prejudiced against songs I couldn't sing. The beginning of the chorus is impossible for my manly being.
Then you must HATE “Prove Your Love”!
Old 08-03-2022, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Then you must HATE “Prove Your Love”!
or

HOW LOOOOOONG has it been since we have been together????
Old 08-03-2022, 11:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
or

HOW LOOOOOONG has it been since we have been together????
The “of” in. “The face of a pretty girl” right before the guitar solo.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post

I was the same way. I always hate when songs start with the vocalist so I was instantly put off by the song.....blinders up and a wall to never accept it. There are such goodies in the song that make it one of the best on Mirage. It has an incredible jam in the end.
The funny part is the I'M OUT OF MY MIND part usually would be a metaphor but its actually the truth. She WAS out of her mind to love Dennis.
Its like the song Fire Burning by Stevie Nicks. The fire burning was not a metaphor but actually her house on fire and what could she take to escape the fire.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:57 AM

Quote:
The “of” in. “The face of a pretty girl” right before the guitar solo.
Ok Tony!! I love that "of". That's a beautiful vocal on the studio version.
Old 08-03-2022, 04:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
^^^I don’t see in the article where the success of this song was attributed to Lindsey’s leaving. Did I miss something?
No, that was a dig at me for suggesting that “Little Lies,” which was released 25 days after Lindsey quit, benefited from the drama surrounding the band, who absolutely played it up (see “Little Lies” video, which topped the MTV Top 20 Video Countdown TWICE).

The nerve of suggesting that it helped someone’s musical boner song become a Top 5 hit.

The overall context was “Fleetwood Mac” initially sold what Fleetwood Mac albums usually sold, but began picking up again when “Over My Head” was released and started skyrocketing when news broke that the McVies were divorcing, setting the stage for “Rumours.” Otherwise, without that kind of drama, Fleetwood Mac albums with that lineup sell what “Tusk” and “Mirage” sold.

ETA: And, the announcement that Lindsey quit and Billy and Rick were the new guys was on August 18. The music press was still digesting the news when the song and video were released.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 08-03-2022 at 07:45 PM..
Old 08-04-2022, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
No, that was a dig at me for suggesting that “Little Lies,” which was released 25 days after Lindsey quit, benefited from the drama surrounding the band, who absolutely played it up (see “Little Lies” video, which topped the MTV Top 20 Video Countdown TWICE).

The nerve of suggesting that it helped someone’s musical boner song become a Top 5 hit.
Haha! It felt like a dig but I wasn't sure. Any drama marketing for them was always a plus. MTV was also doing FM Attack with the Tango album. MTV really gave FM a lot of air time. Even Christine's solo was a big deal with them.
Old 08-04-2022, 11:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Of course it was a dig. Where is everyone's sense of humor

That thread is the Rumours or Mona Lisa of this board. Perhaps the greatest posting of all time.

Little Lies stands on its own. Lindsey's departure had nothing to do with the success of the song. It should have been the lead single and could have reached #1. But I realize Lindsey got screwed on Mirage for his songs not being played (his words, not mine) and he sort of deserved the lead single after all he went through to make the album happen. Go back in a time machine and pretend its March 1987 and you never ever heard Big Love yet and you got an advance listen to Tango In The Night. You are the record company, what do you pick as your lead single? Little Lies of course. It has huge cross over appeal and features all 3 singers (at least we think so). Its also quite catchy. Its like the Hold Me of Tango. Fleetwood Mac was a 70s supergroup and most people would not even know or care he left the band in 1987 except core fans. The song stands on its own. Tiffany, Billy Idol and that crappy Dirty Dancing song blocked Little Lies from the top spot in November 1987. Even on 80s channels you rarely hear Big Love. Its one of those songs that was a quick race up the charts and you never hear again. You hear Little Lies everywhere all the time. If it was the lead single it would have taken Tango to the top. Then Big Love, then Everywhere. Seven Wonders could have been the swan song of the album

Last edited by Macfan4life; 08-04-2022 at 11:43 AM..
Old 08-04-2022, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Of course it was a dig. Where is everyone's sense of humor
We recognize your shadows from the past.
Old 08-04-2022, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Little Lies stands on its own. Lindsey's departure had nothing to do with the success of the song.

It’s hilarious you believe that.

It was released as a single less than two weeks after he quit and the video completely played up his leaving. In true Fleetwood Mac fashion, there was a scandal and suddenly the album skyrockets.

Those are basic, verifiable facts.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-04-2022, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post

It’s hilarious you believe that.

It was released as a single less than two weeks after he quit and the video completely played up his leaving. In true Fleetwood Mac fashion, there was a scandal and suddenly the album skyrockets.

Those are basic, verifiable facts.
You are the best ever Steve. Please dont change.

Little Lies is the most pop song on the album and the band had just starting touring after a half decade when Little Lies was released. No radio programmer leaned in heavy on Little Lies rotation because Lindsey left. That makes no sense and its an insult to the song to think otherwise. I cannot believe that you think Little Lies would have tanked if Lindsey had not quit in 1987. Record companies always put their biggest hits or lead off singles first track side two in the mid to late 80s.
Iran Contra happened in 1987. Seven Wonders was on heavy rotation on MTV. And Little Lies was released in 1987 and became a big hit. Coincidence? I think not. Those are basic verifiable facts.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 08-04-2022 at 02:19 PM..
Old 08-04-2022, 02:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
and the band had just starting touring after a half decade when Little Lies was released.
The tour started a month later.

Quote:
No radio programmer leaned in heavy on Little Lies rotation because Lindsey left.
Radio was only part of the equation in 1987. MTV played the crap out of the video, which, again, heavily played up Lindsey’s leaving. It absolutely was part of the storyline behind the song’s success.

Quote:
I cannot believe that you think Little Lies would have tanked if Lindsey had not quit in 1987.
Never said that, though. I said it might not have been a top 5 hit. I also said that TITN sold more after he quit.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-04-2022, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I cannot believe that you think Little Lies would have tanked if Lindsey had not quit in 1987. Record companies always put their biggest hits or lead off singles first track side two in the mid to late 80s.
Steve didn’t say Little Lies would have tanked if Lindsey hadn’t quit.

I have no idea if record companies always put the biggest hits or lead off singles as the first track on side two or not back in the 1980s. But I do question that. I thought FM and more specifically Lindsey was the one who sequenced the album, not the record company. By the same token, I thought the record company had more of a voice in which songs would be chosen to be singles. If Lindsey was the one who sequenced the album, than the record company wasn’t the one who put the singles where they were on the album.

I think Big Love was a fabulous choice for a lead single. They didn’t release it first because Lindsey didn’t get a single from Mirage, they released it because it was catchy and a little edgy but not too edgy. The song got people talking for tons of reasons- the grunts, who sang on it, cool video, etc. Little Lies was a great third single because it helpd the album rebound after Seven Wonders only made the top 20- not terrible, but it way underperformed.

I do agree that now, in hindsight, Little Lies and Christine in general is why Tango is so well regarded, but back in 1987, Big Love and Lindsey were given the credit.