User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:27 PM
Registered

Default Watch wild-eyed celebs pray to their god Obama

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVi4rUzf-0Q

Surely this is a joke. I can't imagine, especially after the effectiveness of some of the McCain ads about Obama's messianic complex that anyone would think of doing something this ridiculous. If Obama is elected, he'll probably be the biggest letdown imaginable to people like this. Nothing against Obama, he's a politician and not some god figure, and Hollywood needs to realize that. One last funny note is that this song was written by the other guy from the Eurythmics and he's not even American!
Old 08-27-2008, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

not half as laughable as the terrible. unabashedly redneck anthem by Big n Rich 'Raising McCain".

Old 08-27-2008, 04:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmccarrell View Post
One last funny note is that this song was written by the other guy from the Eurythmics and he's not even American!
But he lives there doesn't he? Plenty of other politically conscious people too, like Neil Young. Anyway the guy who wrote Land Down Under was from scotland.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVi4rUzf-0QIf Obama is elected, he'll probably be the biggest letdown imaginable to people like this. !
He could never be the letdown the past 8 years has been with Howdy Doody and his facist henchmen leading this country down the tubes.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:39 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
He could never be the letdown the past 8 years has been with Howdy Doody and his facist henchmen leading this country down the tubes.
I don't think you know what fascism is then. Fascism, according to wikipedia, is "an authoritarian nationalist political ideology and mass movement that is concerned with notions of cultural decline or decadence, and which seeks to achieve a millenarian national rebirth by exalting the nation or race, as well as promoting cults of unity, strength and purity" Basically, that is Obama's platform to a T! Michelle Obama gives speeches decrying "middle-classness" and Kucinich was out there saying that government needs to control oil and other such things. Obama is trying to become president to "unite" to overthrow the "decadence" of the profit motive, speculation, etc. The entire democratic convention speeches have been fascist in nature. The word fascism has been hijacked by left-wing radicals that want to suppress free speech. Universal Health Care, as it is government run private enterprise, Fannie May, Freddie Mac, Amtrak, et al are all fascist enterprises by definition, as they are private corporations under direct government oversight.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^

Are you actually making that facism argument again. You were corrected once - please refer to that thread

On edit -- you ought to love this thread from 2003

I miss those guys!

save the cheerleader - save the world

Last edited by strandinthewind; 08-27-2008 at 04:48 PM..
Old 08-27-2008, 04:50 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
^^^

Are you actually making that facism argument again. You were corrected once - please refer to that thread

On edit -- you ought to love this thread from 2003

I miss those guys!
I wasn't corrected. You made a valiant attempt, but you were far from conclusory. Look up fascism and you'll see that it is left leaning in nature, as were the Nazis.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
"an authoritarian nationalist political ideology and mass movement that is concerned with notions of cultural decline or decadence, and which seeks to achieve a millenarian national rebirth by exalting the nation or race, as well as promoting cults of unity, strength and purity".
What rock have you been under the past 8 years? That pretty much describes what has been happening in the "good ol' USofA" under this current administration.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I wasn't corrected. You made a valiant attempt, but you were far from conclusory. Look up fascism and you'll see that it is left leaning in nature, as were the Nazis.
Revisionist history!

Also, I am never wrong, just ask gldstwmn

Seriously, the current R party and its support of religion over the rule of law is facism. I beleive the wiki article you cite says that in the "Positions on Religion" section

Old 08-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
What rock have you been under the past 8 years? That pretty much describes what has been happening in the "good ol' USofA" under this current administration.
I know. But, he'll never admit it He still clings to his belief that the R's are the party of less govt. and less taxes, when recent history demonstrates that is just untrue.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Registered

Quote:
In your opinion, you mean. I happen to just simply disagree. Historically, we've had much worse things happen and much more egregious violations of civil rights. For example, Roosevelt's internment of Japanese-American citizens, Lincoln's deporting senators who disagreed with him, Bobby Kennedy trying to set up MLK by spying on him and trying to take him down politically, etc. Most of it makes Bush seem pretty darn mild in comparison.

I think Bush has done a basically okay job, not great, but okay. Unlike you, I don't blame the president for everything that goes wrong in the world. The president only has the ability to set up roadblocks or take them down, the rest is up to us. As a nation, we have a bad habit of blaming the president for our own collective actions. A perfect example is the economy. If you ask anyone on the street, they'd be shocked that the economy is nothing more than the sum of our financial behavior and the president doesn't "control it".
Old 08-27-2008, 04:58 PM
Registered

Quote:
I know. But, he'll never admit it He still clings to his belief that the R's are the party of less govt. and less taxes, when recent history demonstrates that is just untrue.
Republicans generally, yes. I agree that government has swelled in the last decade, which I am unhappy about. That is why I support McCain, because he has a track record of cutting waste. Conversely, the dems actually brag that they want government to be bigger, taxes to be higher, and have giveaways for everybody. Kucinich last night attacked my ability to invest in a retirement account because he's against "speculation". What the hell?! Who the hell is he to tell me what I can and cannot do with my own money. THAT is fascism at it's ugliest core, which is to complain about people trying to prosper and playing upon the class envy of the proletariat classes. It is disgusting!

I'm all for party reform. Bring back the party of Newt. My only dilemma is that whatever the dems do if Obama is elected is not likely to be undone any time soon. As Reagan put it in 1964, "the closest thing to eternal life we will ever see on this Earth is a government program."
Old 08-27-2008, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
In your opinion, you mean. I happen to just simply disagree . . . .
Well, no. There is a difference in opinion and fact. The R's use of religion in a facist manner is a fact. There really is no disputing that.

Quote:
. . . . I think Bush has done a basically okay job, not great, but okay . . . .

Come on - not even you can believe that. Name one good thing he's done?

Old 08-27-2008, 05:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Republicans generally, yes. I agree that government has swelled in the last decade, which I am unhappy about. That is why I support McCain, because he has a track record of cutting waste. Conversely, the dems actually brag that they want government to be bigger, taxes to be higher, and have giveaways for everybody. I'm all for party reform. Bring back the party of Newt. My only dilemma is that whatever the dems do if Obama is elected is not likely to be undone any time soon. As Reagan put it in 1964, "the closest thing to eternal life we will ever see on this Earth is a government program."
You mean like the efficient, prosperous, surplus building govt. under the Clinton adminstration?

Also, if you think McCain will do anything other than what the R party tells him to do, I suggest you are misguided. The R party controls the money and therefore controls him.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Come on - not even you can believe that. Name one good thing he's done?
The only thing iamnotafraid could come up with for the entire 8 miserable years that Smirky has occupied The White house was him muttering something about offshore drilling supposedly causing a drop in gas prices..impressive I must say!