The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: what next for LB?
More US solo tour dates before the end of the year 8 19.51%
Some UK/EU solo dates (either this year or interspersed with FM tour next year) 4 9.76%
New solo album or EP 5 12.20%
FM EP before starting the tour next year 6 14.63%
BN reissue and a short tour somewhere before or after FM tour 2 4.88%
All of the above 11 26.83%
None of the above 5 12.20%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2012, 12:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetta07 View Post
I just downloaded GOS I a few weeks ago and was blown away. I don't know how to explain it, but all of the songs just sound so good one right after the other. I think when he split them up to three albums, it just lost some of the excellence of having all of these songs on one disc. I just saw an interview with Mick & Lindsey in 1998 and Lindsey was explaining how he had just finished up a solo album which he was releasing in the fall. It just sounds like the success of The Dance pushed Lindsey into scrapping the release of GOS I and lending the songs to a new FM album. What bothers me is the fact that his album was finished and ready to be released and somehow that was thwarted and prevented Lindsey from releasing a truly magnificent album.

I hope that there are extended dates for the solo tour before the big FM tour in 2013. I did enjoy seeing both of them in '09, though I have to say Lindsey's voice has matured nicely, while Stevie's has gotten a bit too nasally for my taste and it can take away from some of the harmonies. Just my opinion, of course
Excellent post altogether!
Old 09-14-2012, 12:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtulip View Post
jetta07, I love you! You were at Council Bluffs or Des Moines? I was at both shows so we missed each other. Wish we would have met because I love everything you just posted!
and I just want to take this opportunity to say to Tulip - yours has got to be the sexiest avatar EVER!
Old 09-14-2012, 12:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTrouble View Post
and I just want to take this opportunity to say to Tulip - yours has got to be the sexiest avatar EVER!
I aim to please!!!!
Old 09-14-2012, 12:16 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsfan View Post
Seeing it played at arm's length truly is like a religious experience, it's that emotional.
Thats exactly how I describe seeing him live -- every live show I've been to when he started with either Castaway Dreams/Shut Us Down, everyone in the audience was just mesmerized. I had heard both of these songs before, but I don't think I really fell in love with them until I heard them live (the echo on CAD still bothers me on the album.) The way he can hold a note is just breathtaking.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I just downloaded GOS I a few weeks ago and was blown away. I don't know how to explain it, but all of the songs just sound so good one right after the other. I think when he split them up to three albums, it just lost some of the excellence of having all of these songs on one disc. I just saw an interview with Mick & Lindsey in 1998 and Lindsey was explaining how he had just finished up a solo album which he was releasing in the fall. It just sounds like the success of The Dance pushed Lindsey into scrapping the release of GOS I and lending the songs to a new FM album. What bothers me is the fact that his album was finished and ready to be released and somehow that was thwarted and prevented Lindsey from releasing a truly magnificent album.

I hope that there are extended dates for the solo tour before the big FM tour in 2013. I did enjoy seeing both of them in '09, though I have to say Lindsey's voice has matured nicely, while Stevie's has gotten a bit too nasally for my taste and it can take away from some of the harmonies. Just my opinion, of course
Quote:
jetta07, I love you! You were at Council Bluffs or Des Moines? I was at both shows so we missed each other. Wish we would have met because I love everything you just posted!
I love you too, jetta07 You know a good thing when you hear it and I hope we get more dates too. My Lindsey tour withdrawals have not subsided in the least

GOS was meant to be a solo album. It was so great just as it was. Shame on WB for saying NO to it
Old 09-14-2012, 12:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thats exactly how I describe seeing him live -- every live show I've been to when he started with either Castaway Dreams/Shut Us Down, everyone in the audience was just mesmerized. I had heard both of these songs before, but I don't think I really fell in love with them until I heard them live (the echo on CAD still bothers me on the album.) The way he can hold a note is just breathtaking.
Me too! It took these shows to make me fall in love with these songs!
Old 09-14-2012, 12:37 AM
Ledgie

Quote:

Thanks and yes, I was at both. I usually would have gotten to the venue early since Council Bluffs was GA, but I couldn't get out of meetings at work and had to drive on a 2 lane highway with lots of road construction all the way up, so I just had to sneak up as close as I could when I came just a few mins before the show started (ended up having a really nice view right on the edge of the crowd that was right in front, though.)
If there are any shows close to KC, I will be there & hope you can make it! I keep thinking it would be really awesome if he would play at the Midland (old historic theatre downtown that has been renovated and looks gorgeous on the inside.) Doesn't really matter where he plays, though, as long as he comes soon
Old 09-14-2012, 12:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks and yes, I was at both. I usually would have gotten to the venue early since Council Bluffs was GA, but I couldn't get out of meetings at work and had to drive on a 2 lane highway with lots of road construction all the way up, so I just had to sneak up as close as I could when I came just a few mins before the show started (ended up having a really nice view right on the edge of the crowd that was right in front, though.)
If there are any shows close to KC, I will be there & hope you can make it! I keep thinking it would be really awesome if he would play at the Midland (old historic theatre downtown that has been renovated and looks gorgeous on the inside.) Doesn't really matter where he plays, though, as long as he comes soon
I was up in the front row at Council Bluffs on the right side (facing the stage), got to strum during GYOW. Front and center at Des Moines in the seats that were different than all the others (so embarrassing) and the m&g. Hoping to make some shows on the next leg if there is one! If not, I guess it will have to be FM
Old 09-14-2012, 06:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
yeah Lindsey would like BN tour, and that's one of the reasons i checked "all of the above" which includes that one, however much i personally may not care about it. but i've noticed BN tour/reissues received no votes so far as a preference even though if you go to some of the m&gs after LB's shows you'd think that's what so many people want.
Elle, this is where your polls confuse me. I voted according to what I think is going to happen not what I want to happen. Two different things.

Quote:
while people who prefer LB solo seem to all strongly prefer current extremely dark solo version of ISA, people who are more FM fans seem to prefer one or the other FM version... and there are some very different versions of ISA live, as we all well know, all great, but some just stir something deeper in you... the current one-man version just sent shivers down my spine every single time i heard it.
To me perfection would be the current LB guitar translation with Stevie's harmonies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
But I don't think most of the GOS songs he had were unisex songs (so to speak). I think they were meant to be solo, not just up for grabs. I don't think it's just the sound that was meant to be his solo expression, but the words too for some of those songs. I just don't see Come (the starkest example) or even the more mellow Peacekeeper as something that he'd want to say from an FM pulpit.

Sure, I don't think the songs were hijacked. In the end, he wanted them on an FM album as his best bet of getting them to the listener of listeners, but I think when they were created they had another purpose and he was really hoping for a solo album, which hope didn't end up panning out.

Some of these songs I think he not only did not write for FM, but he would have been upset by the way FM would have made him compromise them. Of course, when Christine left, he didn't have to compromise as much. But sometimes he has it in his head that keyboards soften his message and I think, before the Dance, he wrote some of those songs definitely NOT wanting them to have that smooth FM sound. Unless he was girding for another Tusk battle, I just can't imagine him writing those songs without contemplating a definite solo purpose for them. His voice, his playing, only.

Obviously, he did want that sound, and those keyboards, for other songs, Steal Your Heart Away, for example.

I don't agree with the oft-cited argument that SYW sounds like two solo albums slapped together. But I do think some of those songs were geared solo on LB's part. Of course, the stuff he's written since then is an entirely different matter. All of UTS . . . definitely I see your argument there: that he just wrote and the songs didn't have a label, no FM versus LB. They were just songs that could have gone either way.

Michele
Exactly my point, Michele. Songs are written and he tweaks them and experiments with sounds until he is relatively pleased and it gets approved for the album -- whether that be solo or FM. I don't think it's that huge of a deal. If it is, then the he'll pull the song off and save it for a rainy day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsfan View Post
Welcome to Multi-Quote night at The Ledge

Of course it's not. Age does that. But Lindsey's voice has actually gotten better in many ways! You saw his solo concert. Shut Us Down? Go Insane? Seeds We Sow? His control from the softest, sweetest notes in SWS or NGBA, to the jaw-dropping big notes he reaches - and holds - in SUD or GI, for example is stunning! His range may not be what it used to be, but it's still pretty vast...

GDW is a perfect example of when they get it right. It was one of my favorite parts of the Unleashed tour, and I always look forward to hearing it. I'd love to see them work that kind of magic on more of the songs.
Multi-quotes indeed...I'm outnumbered here.

Even though I am fascinated with his strengths, I'm not blinded to his weaknesses. The thinning of his voice makes a difference in his tone just as much as Stevie's deepening, nasal quality makes a difference in hers. Thankfully, neither of their weaknesses has imparied the voices to the extent that they should not be using them anymore or God forbid where they cannot sing harmony together anymore. Their voices still blend together very well. Lindsey even talked about this once in a more recent interview. And, I totally agree with you about Unleashed GDW - magic together. It would not be the same if one wasn't there - and it isn't the same when Stevie does it solo.

--------
To everyone else who I can't respond to because I'm outnumbered I'll just point this out - Lindsey could s**t onstage and you would think it was awesome. LOL. And, I will always say it would be more awesome if Stevie was holding the pot.

Two is better than one!
Old 09-14-2012, 09:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Elle, this is where your polls confuse me. I voted according to what I think is going to happen not what I want to happen. Two different things.
you are right, i keep not making it completely clear, lol. i guess just explaining in the text what you mean helps. my initial question was meant as "what would YOU like LB to do next", but from the responses i could see how it was not completely clear to people. in the end, it's all good info, and i'm really pleasantly surprised with the amount of good discussion poll has generated.

Quote:
Multi-quotes indeed...I'm outnumbered here.
agree, looks like your opinion is a minority opinion.

Quote:
Even though I am fascinated with his strengths, I'm not blinded to his weaknesses. The thinning of his voice makes a difference in his tone just as much as Stevie's deepening, nasal quality makes a difference in hers.
yet you don't seem to be bothered by nasality of SN's voice on songs like WTWCT. i have read enough of SN board to know how even the biggest SN fans were bothered by her voice on SYW. again, we all like different things - makes the world go around!
LB's voice actually used to be thin when he was young, and he artificially keeps thinning it in his studio recordings (which bothers me to no end!), while his voice now is not thin by any stretch anymore - it's much fuller and deeper. but you've heard him live recently, i'm sure you know that.

Quote:
--------
To everyone else who I can't respond to because I'm outnumbered I'll just point this out - Lindsey could s**t onstage and you would think it was awesome. LOL. And, I will always say it would be more awesome if Stevie was holding the pot.
wow wow wow! this discussion has literally gone into the toilet now!

hmm, accusing people of being indiscriminately blinded by someone when you seem to run out of argument!? especially when people bring up clear exhibits A-Z.

i know you love the whole BN saga and Stevie and Lindsey chemistry together and seem to look at everything from that perspective... and that's cool, the same as the rest of us love LB solo.

and since you brought up non-musically related stuff - i can clearly see while Viv for example would prefer LB kissing her from the stage instead of having someone else up on that stage he can get to first.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-14-2012, 09:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^oh I think you know by now that I never run out of argument ... but do get tired of arguing.

As you said we all have our likes and I do realize I am in the Lindsey forum for my minority opinion. I don't mind. Someone has to keep the BN banner waving and I'm cool with that.

I think LB's voice was higher when he was younger, not thinner. The prime was probably between 1992-1997. Oh, & I never said Stevie's voice isn't flawed now. But, you're right - doesn't bother me. I still like it (for the most part) and still think her harmony with LB rounds out the songs. I've always said that I dig them as individuals but prefer them together - that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts line LB uses all the time.

Last edited by CADreaming; 09-14-2012 at 09:51 AM..
Old 09-14-2012, 09:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
you are right, i keep not making it completely clear, lol. i guess just explaining in the text what you mean helps. my initial question was meant as "what would YOU like LB to do next", but from the responses i could see how it was not completely clear to people. in the end, it's all good info, and i'm really pleasantly surprised with the amount of good discussion poll has generated.

agree, looks like your opinion is a minority opinion.

yet you don't seem to be bothered by nasality of SN's voice on songs like WTWCT. i have read enough of SN board to know how even the biggest SN fans were bothered by her voice on SYW. again, we all like different things - makes the world go around!
LB's voice actually used to be thin when he was young, and he artificially keeps thinning it in his studio recordings (which bothers me to no end!), while his voice now is not thin by any stretch anymore - it's much fuller and deeper. but you've heard him live recently, i'm sure you know that.

wow wow wow! this discussion has literally gone into the toilet now!

hmm, accusing people of being indiscriminately blinded by someone when you seem to run out of argument!? especially when people bring up clear exhibits A-Z.

i know you love the whole BN saga and Stevie and Lindsey chemistry together and seem to look at everything from that perspective... and that's cool, the same as the rest of us love LB solo.

and since you brought up non-musically related stuff - i can clearly see while Viv for example would prefer LB kissing her from the stage instead of having someone else up on that stage he can get to first.
Hey, me and Linds, we're old friends now! S'why I've had loads of kisses!
Old 09-14-2012, 09:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTrouble View Post
Hey, me and Linds, we're old friends now! S'why I've had loads of kisses!
Lucky you!
Old 09-14-2012, 09:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
This much is true. The only example that comes to mind where Stevie DID ruin one of Lindsey's songs with her vocals is Peacekeeper. I thought it was far superior without Stevie's overly reedy backing vocals.

But there are a hundred instances where her backing vocals had the exact opposite effect. Songs like I'm So Afraid just seem bare & almost one dimensional without Stevie's presence.
I think every single track that ended up on SYW is better in the GOS1 version without Stevie doing harmonies. It doesn't mean I don't love SYW (probably my 2nd favourite FM album) but GOS1 was finished and didn't need them to tack on some more harmonies for the sake of it, making them more cluttered. I totally understand why they did it and Lindsey was the one directing it but, like many others here, I wish they'd been released in the original format as part of a Lindsey solo album. Say Goodbye is one that I think the sparser solo arrangement works so much better.

In the end I can't complain too much because we've got the Stevie-fied SYW versions and the original GOS1 versions so that means both options are there to pick between
Old 09-14-2012, 10:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I understand why quite a few people want LB to stay solo. Still, a lot of people who are here have been Fleetwood Mac fans for a long time. I think a lot of them would feel that there needs to be at least one more FM album. If Fleetwood Mac doesn't want to record as a band after that, I would try to understand. There needs to be some sort of closure to the music as a band.