Bio | More Posts
Lindsey Buckingham At The Fred Kavli Theatre

MAY 07, 2012 -- 5:43 PM

Photo: Michael Tullberg/Getty Images
Lindsey Buckingham

RELATED LINKS:
Lindsey Buckingham on Amazon
Lindsey Buckingham on iTunes

Welcome to The Set List. Here you'll find the latest concert recaps for many of your favorite, or maybe not so favorite, artists. Our bloggers will do their best to provide you with every detail of the show, from which songs were on the set list to what the artist was wearing to which out-of-control fan made a scene. Hey, it'll be like you were there. And if you like what you read, we'll even let you know where you can catch the artist on tour. Feel free to drop us a comment and let us know your concert experience. Oh, and rock on.

By Crystal Larsen
Thousand Oaks, Calif.

In a recent exclusive interview with GRAMMY.com, GRAMMY-winning producer/engineer Ken Caillat discussed the "musical brilliance" of guitarist and singer/songwriter Lindsey Buckingham. "Lindsey was the accent king," said Caillat, referring to Buckingham's ability to create meaningful rhythms out of guitars, drums and even chairs. And in his recent book, Making Rumours, Caillat notes it was Buckingham's "brilliant guitar playing" that led Mick Fleetwood to invite him to join Fleetwood Mac.

The widely heralded musical brilliance of Buckingham was put on incredible display during an intimate performance Sunday evening at the Fred Kavli Theatre in Thousand Oaks, Calif. Armed with an impressive arsenal of custom guitars that he would switch out between each song, Buckingham took the stage at 8 p.m. a black blazer to perform the subdued "Cast Away Dreams" from his 2006 album, Under The Skin. Following the performance and a welcoming applause from the audience, Buckingham gave us his own welcome of sorts, beginning with a mention of how "lovely" he found the venue to be, and ending with a point that would in turn influence the entire spirit of the night — the power and importance of change.

Dividing his musical career into two parts, Buckingham described how his experience with Fleetwood Mac (the "big machine") and his subsequent solo career (the "small machine") have combined to create something greater than either one, and that what he's learned as a result of both paths has defined who he is today. "But the small machine keeps getting smaller," he joked, referring to the one-man show he's currently taking on tour.

Though the evening featured just one man, Buckingham's seemingly endless rhythms were enough to fill the 1,800-capacity theater, mesmerizing audience members from the front row all the way to the balcony. When Caillat speaks of Buckingham's accents, he must also be referring to his facial expressions, which are truly a show on their own. From trying to understand how he's making his guitar sound as beautiful and delicate as a harp (and at times with only one hand), and watching the emotion drip from his face with each song in both expression and beads of sweat, to listening to him belt out lyrics to his songs with such fervor and sometimes in a spastic manner, Buckingham's performance had me mesmerized while simultaneously making me feel as if I'd lose control at any moment. It was like a Buckingham fever. He had the audience in a tight grip for the full 90-minute show.

The evening drifted from songs from the big machine to tracks from the (still perfectly well-oiled) small machine, with each performance garnering Buckingham a rousing applause from the audience, and a couple of his own excited shouts of "yeah!" The rush that came with his guitar solos, which were plentiful and almost unreal to watch, was clearly mutual between Buckingham and his adoring observers.

Being a fan who has never seen Fleetwood Mac live, I was ecstatic to find songs such as "Come," "Never Going Back Again" and "Go Your Own Way" on the docket. The way Buckingham annunciated each lyric on "Come" was haunting and completely hypnotizing. There was magic in that performance, but this magic was much more abrasive, the kind that catches you and attempts to knock you unconscious, making you forget where you are. It was at this point that Buckingham's emotional quotient was pushed near the limit, and everyone in the front row felt it as we all sat at the edge of our seats, thinking if we got just a little closer the pound of his guitar would hit us harder.

Buckingham took a slower, softer spin on "Never Going Back Again," wanting to give the crowd a different experience with a song they've likely heard many times. Shifting between soft whispers and loud vocal yells, and paired with his delicate acoustic guitar picking, Buckingham proved this is a song that will never grow old. A driving stripped-down performance of Fleetwood Mac's "Big Love" was next, a song Buckingham said served as a template for many things to follow. "Discard what is not essential," he encouraged, emphasizing the power and importance of change again. Fleetwood Mac's "I'm So Afraid" and "Go Your Own Way" followed, capping a set of performances that showcased Buckingham's vulnerability, with each song representing a previous period of himself.

The evening came to an end with an encore featuring what I found to be the perfect goodbye song, "Trouble," from 1981's Law And Order, followed by the title track to his most recent release, 2011's Seeds We Sow.

Leaving the crowd with one last piece of inspiring advice, Buckingham said he hopes "we will all do our best to infuse good into a world that seems to have lost perspective of that." And the crowd seemed to take this oath in unison as we all stood in a respectful yet widely crazed applause as the musical brilliance of Buckingham left the stage.

Set List
"Cast Away Dreams"
"Bleed To Love Her" (Fleetwood Mac)
"Not Too Late"
"Stephanie" (Buckingham Nicks)
"Come" (Fleetwood Mac)
"Shut Us Down"
"Go Insane"
"Never Going Back Again" (Fleetwood Mac)
"Big Love" (Fleetwood Mac)
"I'm So Afraid" (Fleetwood Mac)
"Go Your Own Way" (Fleetwood Mac)
"Trouble"
"Seeds We Sow"

To catch Lindsey Buckingham in a city near you, click here for tour dates.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

you know, LB has always had incredible live shows and reviews but what's happening now seems way beyond even his usual high performing standards.

this review is stellar, and all the tweets and FB posts from people who were at any of the first 4 shows were like that too.

i've gained bunch of twitter followers in the short succession over the last 3 days, all obviously interested in LB-related info. that did not happen - nor with nearly this kind of speed - when SWS tour started. people are completely flabbergasted.

can't wait to experience this show in person!
Old 05-08-2012, 06:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...&zzMartykl&4&5

Once again: Lindsey Buckingham Live

He's touring again - this time without a band - and I caught his show this past Sunday.

It was a short set that featured eight or nine of his solo tunes, a half dozen Fleetwood Mac songs, and one instrumental that I couldn't identify. It may have been a cover (some of LB's interpretations can be nearly unrecognizable) or a new composition.

The show featured mostly LB singing while accompanying himself on acoustic guitar. IMO, he's a pretty fantastic tunesmith and he played a well chosen set. The solo material varied between his brand of meticulously crafted pop and choices that allowed him to really show off some crazy fingerpicking. It seemed like every song involved a combination of some bizarre tuning scheme and a capo. The result was a collection of really quirky and (for me) riveting guitar tones. The combination of great tunes, great and distinctive playing, coupled with his extremely intense singing made for a memorable evening. (Then again, if you hadn't yet noticed, I'm a fan.)

Among the Fleetwood Mac numbers, he included both of his extended electric guitar solos from the band's shows ("Come" and "I'm So Afraid"). He was accompanied by a very simple, droning rhythm track and managed to pull off both rhythm and lead parts simultaneously. It was a fine night for guitar geeks.

If you're a pop-rock-guitar fan, this is a show worth catching.

Marty
Old 05-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.kprifm.com/05/08/12/bcomm...D=8475&qv=1#bp

Lindsey Buckingham - Live at The Belly Up

Written by Rick Ostop

Towards the end of his show at the Belly Up Thursday night, May 3, Lindsey Buckingham explained how Fleetwood Mac is the “big machine” and what he is doing now is “just me - the little machine.” Though the “machine” might be smaller--just him and his multitude of guitars--the results were grandiose.

Buckingham, taking the stage for his hour and a half set by himself, seemed a slight bit tentative as he started working on a simple chord pattern. He wrestled with it over and over, before slipping into the first song of the night “That’s The Way Love Goes” from his new album Seeds We Sow The new song was an interesting choppy choice for an opener and left the room kind of flat. The familiarity, though, and the crowd response to the second number “Bleed To Love Her” was a whole different story. The fire and intensity Buckingham put into the performance seemed to awaken any apprehension he might have carried. Buckingham drove the Fleetwood Mac song hard, soaring his vocals and intensely working his amazing finger picking guitar playing. To be able to carry off a full show by yourself, you have to display a confidence and talent level that can hold and captivate an audience. And when Buckingham finished “Bleed To Love Her,” he had everyone in the palm of his hand.

And here’s where the Belly Up truly shines. To be able to be no more than 10 feet away from a legendary musician, who you usually see playing an arena, is what this venue is all about. Being able to experience an artist with such stature and clout that close gave the audience a rare glimpse at Buckingham’s fascinating finger-picking guitar stylings.

After breaking a sweat on the first couple of numbers, Buckingham seemed relaxed with his solo performance, gaining momentum as he went along, even to the point of yelling out to the crowd after finishing an incredible version of “Big Love.” The song seemed not only to fire up Buckingham, but also the Belly up crowd. He continued his high energy assault, stalking the stage with his guitar pyrotechnics and even high-fiving the crowd after obliterating the Mac classic “Go Your Own Way."

Even though it was one of the shortest shows I have seen at the Belly Up, clocking in at 1 hour and 20 minutes, it was no doubt the best show I have seen there in the last few years. After the first song, Buckingham was on complete fire building and building momentum throughout the night and leaving the crowd with a jaw-dropping performance. His absolutely electrifying guitar work was what I was looking forward to the most and Buckingham completely surpassed my intentions with his unique abilities and intense over-the-top guitar playing. And once it started rolling, Buckingham’s “little machine” steam rolled the Solana Beach audience leaving an impression that is sure to last for years to come.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Buckingham, taking the stage for his hour and a half set by himself, seemed a slight bit tentative as he started working on a simple chord pattern. He wrestled with it over and over, before slipping into the first song of the night “That’s The Way Love Goes” from his new album Seeds We Sow The new song was an interesting choppy choice for an opener and left the room kind of flat.
Oh, Lindsey. If you're worried just don't use it as the opener. Push it back. Even use it as an encore. The room won't stay flat, I bet you.

Michele
Old 05-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Oh, Lindsey. If you're worried just don't use it as the opener. Push it back. Even use it as an encore. The room won't stay flat, I bet you.

Michele
and of course the song was CAD, not TTWLG, the reviewer just has no clue

maybe it was b/c it was just first song of a completely alone show, ever. was he tentative in Wiltern too (after he already knew that Belly Up went great)?
Old 05-09-2012, 10:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post

maybe it was b/c it was just first song of a completely alone show, ever. was he tentative in Wiltern too (after he already knew that Belly Up went great)?
Well, he certainly got directly into the song without hesitation. So it wasn't as described in this review at the 2nd show. As for his demeanor ... I can't say he was tentative. Lindsey tends to act a little too. So, I'm not sure if what the reviewer sees is what we would make of it. Michele
Old 05-10-2012, 09:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

from some listserv / music forum:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh....php?p=7693590

Saw Lindsay Buckingham last night at the Tower Theater Fresno, 5/9/12
Bought LP versions—original, scuffed—of the two 'Big Mac' LPs, last week. Last night, saw Lindsay Buckingham, early on a solo tour that will expand into some kind of a cross-country marathon.

Got through the front door with my ticket for row 'W', center as the lady locating our seats murmurs "This will be an Extremely loud concert." She wasn't kidding. It was just Lindsay Buckingham, about 12 very different guitars, a roadie/tech handing Lindsay the guitars, a sound crew and enough audio gear to properly load the Save Mart Center @ 100 db. However, the Tower Theater only holds a little under a thousand people. I'm not sure why it was so loud, though it must be noted that Lindsay milked the pure volume for all it was worth. As an Iggy Pop-like display of raw power, it was very impressive. As a concert experience it was painful. I unfolded and broke up a paper towel that was in my pocket, rolled the two mini-wads into earplugs and twisted them into my ears. Pity, because his guitar playing is absolutely extraordinary. He has one of the most awesome picking techniques I've seen from anyone and I've recorded a fair number of awesome pickers in the realm of classical music. I suspect that Lindsay Buckingham fans will want to catch this tour. My wife brought some good earplugs. She loved it, noted that it was a long time since she heard real Rock 'n' Roll guitar. I couldn't help but note, as a 'fingerstyle' picker, how he uses his hands so fluidly, how you can see left and right hands churning along very slightly different paths, producing very 'Baroque' rhythms and patterns.

I have to wonder how long his vocal chops can hold out if he forces it that hard, that long. I have never heard/witnessed such extremity of expression from such a 'popular' musician before. If you like this sort of thing, you will love this sort of thing.

But next time I'm bringing real earplugs.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[This is more about the venue than about Lindsey]
San Luis Obispo Tribune
http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2012/05...s-fremont.html

By Patrick S. Pemberton | ppemberton@thetribunenews.com

Performing hit songs from his band Fleetwood Mac, along with tunes from his latest solo album, Lindsey Buckingham kicked off Tuesday night what is expected to be a semi-regular series of concerts at the historic Fremont theater in downtown San Luis Obispo.

The theater was mostly full for the show, which local club SLO Brewing Co. put on with Numbskull Productions.

While the Fremont has hosted concerts before — Los Lobos, Toots and the Maytals, Steel Pulse and John Hiatt — the last concert staged there was a series of shows put on by progressive rockers Yes in 1996.

Todd Newman, co-owner of SLO Brewing Co., has been negotiating with King Ventures, which owns the Fremont with developer Rob Rossi, for a couple of years about hosting concerts there.

“The dialogue between Todd and I has been going on for quite a while,” said J.G. King, of King Ventures. “And it didn’t really pick up any steam until the last six months. I think when Todd saw he had a chance for somebody like Lindsey, he started calling me a little more often.”

The art deco Fremont is San Luis Obispo’s oldest movie theater. Its opening gala in 1942 was attended by several celebrities, including actor Jackie Cooper, boxer Max Baer and comedy duo Laurel and Hardy. That history, plus the theater’s charm, will appeal to artists, Newman said.
“It’s just an iconic piece of real estate in downtown San Luis Obispo,” Newman said.

Known for its neon sign and ceiling mural, the theater can seat about 850 people for concerts. That’s bigger than SLO Brew’s club on Garden Street, but more intimate than a venue such as the Performing Arts Center at Cal Poly.

While concerts at the Fremont have been rare, Yes — reuniting its classic lineup for the first time in 15 years — memorably recorded songs for two live albums during three shows that attracted fans from around the world.
“Their Yes fan club was so involved, they were flying over here to see the shows,” said King, who attended the shows himself.

The Movie Experience rents the theater to screen current films, but the lease allows the Fremont owners a few days a year to use it for other purposes, such as the San Luis Obispo International Film Festival.

For future concerts, King said, he will work with Newman to determine which SLO Brew acts might best work for the Fremont.

“If we did two to four shows a year, that would be great,” said King, whose father, John, bought the Fremont with Rossi. “We think the shows at the Fremont will get a pretty good following.”

For their first show, Newman said, they had hoped to bring in a significant act.

“Lindsey Buckingham — Fleetwood Mac, the historic Fremont — that seemed like a perfect fit,” he said.

Performing a one-man, acoustic show, Buckingham promoted his latest album, “Seeds We Sow.” But the guitarist also performed songs from his mega-band Fleetwood Mac such as “Big Love,” “Bleed to Love Her,” “Never Going Back Again” and “Go Your Own Way.”
Old 05-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

http://www.musicmurmur.com/blog/2012...uckingham.html

When older bands or artists tour, sometimes it’s easy to think they’re doing it for the money and in some cases they very well may be. Watching how much passion and emotion Lindsey Buckingham exuded at the Sunset Center in Carmel proved that without a doubt he’s still at it for his love of music, not to make a quick buck. One of the sure advantages of still touring at his age is that he’d never run out of music to choose from, especially for someone like him who not only has decades of his solo career to choose from, but Fleetwood Mac too, with even a little bit of Buckingham Nicks, all of which he included in his fourteen-song set. I’d of course heard Fleetwood Mac songs over the years but wasn’t familiar with anything past their biggest hits and knew even less of Buckingham’s solo work, and though the lack of familiarity can sometimes hinder how much I enjoy an artist’s performance, it had no negative bearing on what I took from his. The understated way in which he performed had something to do with it, and it wouldn’t have been too much to expect a larger and louder stage show from a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but all Buckingham needed was a variety of guitars that he and his tech would trade each other between songs.

One of the most impressive things to me was that despite nearly forty-five years of doing it, his singing voice wasn’t worse for wear and in fact was more powerful on a few of the live versions of songs compared to their recorded ones. “Go Insane” was the shining example of this, him growling and screaming the chorus as opposed to its quieter studio version. It was amazing to see that regardless of how old some of the songs were and that they were written when he was at different stages in his life, he played them with just as much, if not more fervor and there was nothing artificial about it. A unique moment that proved he wasn’t phoning it all in was when he encountered some sound troubles and threw the guitar he was currently using down, smashing it in the process and joking during the net song he intended to use that guitar but obviously couldn’t anymore. The aforementioned sound problems were the sole downside, the acoustics bouncing off the wall of the balcony in such a way that the music sounded distorted and was painfully loud to my ears sometimes, but this was likely a problem of the venue and not Buckingham’s. If you get the chance to see him, no matter whether you’re a big fan or know a few songs at most, I highly recommend catching a show of his!
Old 05-14-2012, 10:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Sacramento!! (great great show!)

Lindsey Buckingham at The Crest Theatre | Sacramento, CA | 5/13/2012

MAY 14, 2012 BY JASON DEBORD

Epic performance from a legend. Indeed, a very special Mother’s Day for some of the ladies in the audience, Lindsey Buckingham rocked the sold out, historic Crest Theatre in downtown Sacramento tonight. Alone on the stage, with an endless arsenal of guitars, Mr. Buckingham put on an amazing performance, and more than anyone, he has such a deep emotional connection with his music that his passion truly drives his live show unlike any artist. He is simply an amazing musician. Quite honestly, he could put on an entire showcase of just his peerless guitar playing, or, alternately, stand at the microphone all night a capella, and either would be captivating. Having enjoyed both in perfect harmony, it was a night I will not forget.

Who: Lindsey Buckingham
Venue: The Crest Theatre
Where: Sacramento, California
When: May 13, 2012
Seating: Floor Row C, Seat 9 (front floor section to left, second row); encore standing at front of stage left

I usually provide a bit of a preface about the artist and his/her/their work, but in this case, Lindsey Buckingham needs little introduction. He is a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and a Grammy® Award winning artist, known both for his solo work and his role as guitarist and vocalist of Fleetwood Mac. Buckingham is a native of California, and and Stevie Nicks were famously a package deal when made part of the otherwise UK group, Fleetwood Mac, who are one of the most successful bands of all time, and each member is extremely talented both collectively and as individual artists.

Funny enough, I was supposed to see Lindsey Buckingham perform in England back in December (in which I saw and reviewed many shows across England and France), but he had canceled the shows due to an injury. I was really disappointed to have missed him (and the package for that show included meet and greet as well), so I was thrilled to learn he was coming to the States for a new tour, and even playing in Sacramento, where I was born. More, the Crest Theatre is a cool venue with a unique history that holds many memories for me, so it was nice to make some new ones with this event.

Lindsey Buckingham released a new solo album last year, Seeds We Sow, though the set list for tonight’s gig covered a wide range of material across his solo career and a few Fleetwood Mac tracks as well.
Having been to a show last weekend that skewed extremely young, this show was the exact opposite – I felt extremely young at just under 40 (whereas at the other show, some I was talking to had no real frame of reference or familiarity with Nirvana for crying out loud). Given this, and the “seated” atmosphere of the venue, I expected a pretty sedate crowd. I could not have been more wrong. The minute Mr. Buckingham stepped on stage, the more vocal among us could not contain their enthusiasm. It was really just an awesome crowd to be part of in every way, and the warmth seemed to immediately be recognized and appreciated by Mr. Buckingham, and I’m confident it contributed at least in part to his amazing performance.

Seeing him for the first time, Lindsey Buckingham struck me as very genuine and humble, and really had a way with the crowd in-between songs – like we were on this journey together, and song by song, he had more and more people out of their seats, like it was his mission to get everyone up by the end of the gig (and if so, he succeeded).

He provided some nice insights into his work, his perspectives on his body of work overall, and some anecdotes about some of the songs, and their meaning (as well as meaning today compared with meaning at the time written). He also talked about the “big machine” (Fleetwood Mac) and the “little machine” (solo work) and how they interrelate and feed one another.

What was fascinating to me was his true passion – he was absolutely baring his soul, and his art, on the stage. But really interesting for me is how this manifested song to song. Many artists, when performing, move about the stage, and interact with the audience with their eyes, catching glances and giving their own. With Lindsey Buckingham, for many songs, he is truly in a world all his own, not looking at various members in the audience, but feeling the music, the lyrics. I don’t know if he’s inside himself, projecting out, or taking us somewhere else entirely. Whatever it is, in each instance, it’s really an experience.

I’ve always been a huge fan of Buckingham as a vocalist, and in my opinion, he’s always been under-appreciated for his unique and amazing voice. Of course, he is world renowned for his unbelievable guitar playing – truly a genius with the instrument, and was so cool to see him playing in his unique, bare-handed style with such an array of styles, both acoustic and electric.

The show was fantastic. After the first set, some in the front row moved up to the foot of the stage, which seemed like a good idea, so I joined in, as did others (having had a chance to peek at the set list prior to the show, I knew two more songs were left). This was an awesome, highly interactive experience, as some of us got to chatting with Mr. Buckingham when he returned to the stage; graciously, he shared in the fun and shook some hands, etc. One gentleman, upon getting a firm handshake, exclaimed “I shook your hands 25 years ago”, which even surprised Mr. Buckingham, who responded with a cheery “really?!?”.

Truly it was a special night, and a special event. I know some new east coast dates have recently been announced, so I’d highly recommend attending one of these shows if you are able to – seeing him live is such an honor and watching DVDs and videos and listening to CDs cannot compare with watching the man perform his art live on stage, with your naked eyes.

Below are a few videos I shot during the performance:

http://rocksubculture.com/2012/05/14...to-ca-5132012/
Old 05-14-2012, 12:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^Love the "genuine and humble" part.

Michele
Old 05-17-2012, 05:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Survival of the Fittest

http://www.inlander.com/spokane/arti...e-fittest.html

Survival of the Fittest
Lindsey Buckingham beat the odds and is still making music.

Steve Labate

Lindsey Buckingham marches on without Fleetwood Mac

From the beginning, Lindsey Buckingham seemed destined to ascend the throne of rock stardom. In the late 1960s, the already talented guitarist’s first band Fritz — for whom he’d recruited a gorgeous young singer named Stevie Nicks — was opening for the likes of Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Creedence Clearwater Revival at all the hippest Northern California music halls. When Fritz broke up, Buckingham and Nicks got together, both musically and romantically, sticking it out through some lean times and eventually signing with Polydor Records for a self-titled 1973 LP. The record flopped and the pair were subsequently dropped from the label, but it wasn’t all for naught.

Drummer Mick Fleetwood — founding member of London blues-rock veterans Fleetwood Mac — was in Los Angeles scouting studios in late 1974 when producer Keith Olsen played him “Frozen Love,” a track he’d recorded with Buckingham-Nicks two years prior. It was a moment that would forever change the course of the band and the lives of all those involved. Fleetwood loved the guitar work on the song, and on New Year’s Eve he asked Buckingham to join the band. Buckingham — true to Nicks, who’d waited tables at a Bob’s Big Boy so he could stay home, write and hone his guitar chops — said that he and Nicks were “a package deal,” that he’d only join if she could, too. Mick accepted the conditions and before the year was out, the all-new Fleetwood Mac’s eponymous record had climbed to No. 1 on the Billboard charts.

But as soon as this astounding success had arrived, the foundation of Buckingham’s new palace was shaken. The confessional songwriter was headed down a paradoxical path, bound to suffer for his art, which would move the masses as the heart on his sleeve fractured under suffocating weight. Toward the end of 1975, as sessions began for Fleetwood Mac’s next record, the now legendary Rumours, Buckingham and Nicks were breaking up, badly. To add to the tensions, so was the band’s other couple, John and Christine McVie. And it probably didn’t help that drummer Fleetwood was having an affair with Nicks as his own marriage, to model Jenny Boyd, was on a crash course for divorce. But out of the pain and confusion of this time was born a masterpiece — one of the biggest selling, most enduring albums ever recorded, which, to date, has sold more than 40 million copies worldwide. Along with McVie’s optimistic “Don’t Stop” and Nicks’ wounded, hypnotic “Dreams,” Buckingham’s pot-stirring kiss-off “Go Your Own Way” was one of the album’s most memorable tracks.

In the wake of Rumours, Buckingham stuck it out with the band for 10 more mind-boggling years of chaos, excess and anxiety, somehow making some great records in the process, including the critically revered, noticeably minimalist, punk-and New Wave-influenced double-LP, Tusk. The first of Buckingham’s six solo albums, Law and Order, arrived in 1981, and soon thereafter he became a go-to artist for blockbuster-movie soundtracks, penning “Holiday Road,” the theme from classic 1980s comedy National Lampoon’s Vacation, and placing his sultry track “Time Bomb Town” in Robert Zemeckis’ Back to the Future. With Buckingham’s penchant for catchy, cinematic songcraft, the role was a natural fit.

Though the singer/guitarist has been bonafide pop-rock royalty for decades, his output has been uneven, both with Fleetwood Mac and as a solo artist. Part of the problem is that Buckingham has always been either the beneficiary or victim of the hottest new production techniques, which means his work can sound horribly dated. Just as often, though, his poetic lyrics and understated musicianship transcend whatever era he’s recording in.

“I’ve always believed that you play to highlight the song, not to highlight the player,” he told Acoustic Guitar magazine in 2003. “The song is all that matters.”

Buckingham’s latest album, 2011’s reflective yet rocking Seeds We Sow, finds the 62-year-old artist exploring the depths of quiet after the storm of a life intensely lived. The breathtaking, classical-guitar-anchored title track cascades like a waterfall — stark, vulnerable, wide open. It’s some of the best picking he’s laid down since Rumours’ “Never Going Back Again.” On “In Our Own Time,” he keeps it fresh, channeling experimental indie rockers Animal Collective on the song’s prog-y chorus, and the tender “Rock Away Blind” is the perfect showcase for Buckingham’s moody tenor. Though lushly produced, the material on Seeds We Sow feels tailor-made for a solo acoustic reading, which is exactly what Buckingham’s got planned for his upcoming show in Spokane: an intimate evening focusing on what has always mattered most, especially amidst all the incendiary drama — the songs.

Lindsey Buckingham • Mon, May 21, at 8 pm • Bing Crosby Theater • 801 W. Sprague Ave. • $55-65 • ticketswest.com • (800) 325-SEAT
Old 05-17-2012, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lindsey Buckingham stands alone at the Fillmore

http://www.sfbg.com/noise/2012/05/16...comes-down-one

SFBG › Noise ›
Lindsey Buckingham's live show comes down to one
05.16.12 - 3:32 pm | Sean McCourt |

Lindsey Buckingham stands alone at the Fillmore.
PHOTO BY ALAN SNODGRASS

With an arsenal of a dozen guitars and several amplifiers lined up behind him, Lindsey Buckingham wasted no time delving into his extensive catalog of songs Monday night at the Fillmore.

Striding up to a lone microphone stand wearing his signature blue jeans, v-neck t-shirt, and black leather jacket, the singer and guitarist launched into an hour and 15 minute set that spanned a broad spectrum of his career, covering a wide swath of solo material in addition to some of the mega hits he created as a member of Fleetwood Mac.

After running through the first couple of tunes and warming up his formidable finger picking skills, the 62-year old Buckingham took a short break to talk about his current tour across the country, contrasting the differences between performing with what he called the “big machine” — Fleetwood Mac — and “the small machine” — his solo outings.

Remarking that when he started out on his own, he would often take a sizable backing band with him, but over the years he has decreased the number of players, with his last major tour featuring a trio, and that this trek finds him venturing out by himself.

Aside from a few songs that he played along with to a pre-recorded backing track, such as “Go Your Own Way,” it was just Buckingham, his stellar guitar playing, and his still-powerful voice providing the sonic soundscape that filled the historic auditorium, proving beyond a doubt that he was capable of carrying the show all on his own, with a highly vocal and appreciative audience to encourage him.

At times, it felt strange to look at the stage and see only one person performing with the amount of energy and excitement being generated. During songs such as “Big Love” and “Go Insane,” Buckingham made a variety of impassioned facial expressions while playing, and yelled and clapped at the crowd when he finished.

When the Palo Alto native came back out for an encore, he walked along the front of the stage, high-fiving and shaking hands with his fans, before telling the audience that it “you guys really do make it feel like home here.”

Then adding, “There’s so much history in this place, and with all the music that has come out of this city, I’m just proud to be a small part of it.”

With Monday’s show in the books, Buckingham can be assured that he is still very much a vivacious and viable contributor to that ongoing legacy.

Fillmore Lindsey Buckingham Live Review Music
Old 05-17-2012, 06:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default review of TO show

http://jammagazineonline.com/cr20120...uckingham.aspx

Lindsey Buckingham
Date: May 6, 2012

Venue: Thousand Oaks Civic Arts Plaza
City: Thousand Oaks, CA

Review and Photos by Scott Dworkin

Many things have been said and written about the history and legacy of Fleetwood Mac and especially Lindsey Buckingham. One thing you commonly don't read is the word underrated.

For those who play guitar, Buckingham plays a very peculiar, hybrid style technique that's extremely difficult to perform. He doesn't use a pick, instead preferring to use his fingers and fingernails, playing the guitar like one might play a banjo. Some refer to this method as 'chicken pickin''. His self taught style is something not typically seen in rock, and his distinctive sound helped set him apart from the many Fleetwood Mac guitarists before him. Never taking any formal guitar lessons, nor bothering to ever learn to read music, Buckingham's accomplishments - over 100 million albums sold - aren't too shabby.

"The small machine keeps getting smaller," joked Buckingham to the crowd gathered at the Thousand Oaks Civic Arts Plaza. He was making reference to the size of the audiences he's performed to over the years. "The Big Machine" obviously was Fleetwood Mac, which routinely sold out arenas and stadiums worldwide. "The Small Machine" was the many successful solo tours he has undertaken over the years with first a backing band, and tonight, just himself. With just a few amps and an array of acoustic guitars behind him, the machine was indeed, getting smaller.

There may be no better setting in which to witness the truly solo Buckingham than the Civic Arts Plaza. The cozy confines of the venue gave one and all the chance to appreciate the true talents Buckingham possesses. Not only is he an incredibly gifted guitar player, but a powerful vocalist and incredible songwriter as well. Throughout his 90-minute set, he alternated between the songs he made famous and his own intimate material. Classic rock staples like, "Never Going Back Again," "Big Love" and "Go Your Own Way" were seamlessly woven in with material from his solo outings, like "Trouble", even dipping back into the Buckingham Nicks catalog with "Stephanie". None of songs lost any of their power in the setting they were presented in. "Discard what is not essential," he encouraged the audience to do when listening to the music.

The true highlight of the night was the mesmerizing soaring guitar solo during the moody "I'm So Afraid". It brought the crowd to its feet. Buckingham ended the evening with a track from his latest solo effort "Seeds We Sow" to rousing applause. When it was all said and done, there was no doubt this bare knuckle approach by Buckingham, to present his music, was an excellent way for the audience to get an insight of his creative genius. Truly great songs start with a chord here or a tone created there. Tonight's audience was treated with a rare glimpse into how music is made before any type of machine, big or small, gets its hands on the material to transform the sound into something else. There was no better mind to 'mine' for this information than one of the great songwriters of our time.

Lindsey Buckingham - Big Love Thousand Oaks Civic Arts Plaza May 6, 2012 Uploaded by falconidave11 »

Become a Lindsey Buckingham Facebook fan »

Official Lindsey Buckingham website »

View More Photos of Lindsey Buckingham »