User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbfan View Post
Thanks for posting! I thought overall it was a good interview, especially in light of the that the viewing audience is probably not that familiar with his solo work. Not to be picky, but he continues to play politician and turns the questions around to provide a stock, rehearsed answers. I will quit complaining about this because I would rather have this than no interview at all. I was a little taken aback that he did not clarify that "Don't Stop" was a Christine McVie song.
yeah, me too... he kinda let them give him credit for it... and although some of the arrangement is i'm sure his and he contributed, plus the way it was said "your song" could've been taken as "FM song", still...

but it was great great advertisement for him and the new CD. i had some of my family members with me when i was watching tivo-ed LB appearance on the show, and they were watching and listening with interest. if you've never heard him talking, what he says sounds interesting and he comes across well.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
yeah, me too... he kinda let them give him credit for it... and although some of the arrangement is i'm sure his and he contributed, plus the way it was said "your song" could've been taken as "FM song", still...
And he's certainly made the distinction before and indicated he knows people are mistaken quite often, because they not only trade lyrics, but he starts the song off. So, he's said that lots of people think he wrote it. I don't think it's a song of hers that he would have wanted to write (although he acts like YMLF is) and I don't think he particularly likes it. But I remember when he was on a radio show and they asked him what FM's most uplifting song was, he said Don't Stop.

Michele
Old 09-30-2011, 12:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

That picture of LB and Goldie both in profile looks almost like he's talking to Stevie if you don't look carefully...
Old 09-30-2011, 01:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Great interview and I love that the people interviewing him are genuinely impressed with his artistry and enthusiastic about his music. I hate when someone is being interviewed and the person asks them questions like they've never heard their music before and don't really care.

Thanks for sharing!

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 09-30-2011, 08:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
That picture of LB and Goldie both in profile looks almost like he's talking to Stevie if you don't look carefully...
I thought it was Stevie, at first!
Old 09-30-2011, 02:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mika said she saw Lindsey at The Sting in New Britain, Connecticut in 1992! I am from New Britain and that venue has since closed down. If anyone has anything from that show, please PM me!
Old 09-30-2011, 03:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The Hartford, CT OOTC Concert at The Sting

Per the Going Insane Website, LB performed there March 26, 1993.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default transcrtipt

not entirely correct, but here's a transcript from website:

>>> with us now fleetwood mac guitarist lindsey buckingham. hitting the road this fall for his first solo tour in four years. as we explained on this show, mika is a cultural literate but she has always loved you.

>> i saw you in connecticut. the floor was sticky. i was six feet away from you.

>> the girl remembers the sticky floors.

>> it was a standing crowd. there were no seats.

>> it's not opera. people rubbing up against you, oh goodness.

>> but you were unbelievable. unbelievable. it was like i was riveted. i was.

>> i'm happy that you were a tusk fan. that's my favorite album.

>> is it really?

>> what happens is you have the kind of success that rumors achieved and they want to brand you in a certain way and kind of follow the formula of the brand. and if you want to try to aspire to be an artist in the long-term, you've got to kind of undermine that a bit. that's what tusk was about.

>> you work to do that. obviously you do that with yo you are solo albums. reinventing yourself. there has to be so much freedom leaving fleetwood mac behind. i'm the artist, i'm doing it my way. it's got to be exciting for you.

>> that choice may not prove to be a good choice for a number of years. it alienated certain factors at the time. but no, it's nice. you got this big machine and the small machine.

>> but the small machine for the artist is so liberating.

>> it is. that's where you can take the risks, follow your heart and continue to aspire to be an artist.

>> yeah. no doubt about it.

>> i'm always interested when a huge act goes solo and you've been associated with the band. is there a moment when you first went solo where you looked around and said uh-oh, where's the rest of the band? or who am i going to be without these people?

>> not really. it's just that, obviously when commerce is a little less robust, the same factions don't always step up to the plate. so you have to remember why you're doing it. you know. it isn't necessarily for the commerce. it's for, you know, the growth. and you cut off a certain number of people who may not relate to what you're doing. but that's the tradeoff.

>> talk about this project. seeds we sow. how did it turn out?

>> fleetwood mac had gotten off the road. i wasn't planning to make a solo album. i made some years ago where i told the band don't bother me for a couple of years. and so i really had no preconceptions about what it was, subject matterwise or stylewise. and because of that, i think it turned out -- i think it's really the best work i've done. the work kind of led me. when the time opened up i said i better fill it. it was a surprise making it and a surprise how it turned out.

>> what was the nicest surprise for you? and again, as a guy you wrote it, you produced it, you performed it. at the end of the day you get to the end and you say i surprised myself with that.

>> i think i've been learning a lot over the last six, seven years with what i've been doing. and i think this ended up being kind of the culmination of that. and also if you look at my personal life, i saw a lot of my friends who were parents or spouses back in earlier decades who were not there for their families because of the lifestyle we were leading. i did not want to be one of those. i waited until i was in my late 40s to start having children. that's been a great gift. that's kind of the subtext of all of this. that this is the best time of my life in a lot of ways.

>> going back --

>> donny waited until his mid-50s to have kids with girlfriends. but go ahead.

>> you got me beat.

>> as an artist obviously what you wanted to is influence. what did it feel like in '92? you watch the convention bill clinton and your song is the theme song. you got to go whoa. how did that happen?

>> that song was not written to have any political text to it at all. but the fact it applied so well to what he was trying to say on that level. and i think just the fact that when you're doing work, you never really know how it's going to sit and what kind of life it's going to have. and what kind of legs it's going to have. when something comes back that much later and has a life, you feel you've done your job well. you've worked your way into the fabric. that's a good feeling.

>> i'm curious what other artists you like and listen to.

>> it's funny. my children listen to radio stations where it's tough for me to --

>> isn't it incredible? how old are your kids?

>> i have a 13-year-old boy.

>> i do too. the music is horrific.

>> and then two daughters who are 11 and seven.

>> i'm so sorry. the music must be awful.

>> i'm in for a lot of trouble, yes?

>> big trouble.

>> you're in for it.

>> don't listen to a lot of katy perry.

>> it's getting worse. there is adele.

>> you can go to satellite radio. college format is something i look at a lot. you bands like phoenix or arcade fire.

>> great artists.

>> vampire weekend. there's a lot of good music going on right now. smart music.

>> isn't that great? it is so much better now because so many people are liberated to record an album. you have guys of montreal that can go and do it all. like you said vampire weekend. can i ask you quickly. your guitar style has fascinated rock critics for awhile. for decades. one more time, explain sort of the genesis of it. because you play guitar like nobody else. and you do look like a mad hatter up there.

>> you look crazy. it's riveting.

>> where did it come from? were you born in the appalachian hills?

>> it's in there somewhere. i started very young. i started when my brother brought home elvis pressley. and i taught myself. so i think a lot of it has to do with just the fact that there were no confines around it. i found my own way of doing it. because of that it's also hard to analyze. there are elements of classical, elements of folk, elements of rock.

>> there's no imitating your way. album seeds we sow. lindsey buckingham, thanks for being
Old 09-30-2011, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^Thank you.

So, he not only knows he has girls, he knows his daughters ages. Good for you, man.

How does he know the song wasn't written to have any political text? It could have been a message to Margaret Thatcher. She was leading the Conservatives then and Christine didn't want her to stop. Spurred her to victory in 1979.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 09-30-2011 at 04:17 PM..
Old 09-30-2011, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Actually, the more I think about it, I like your theory about the British Conservative Party, Michele..

For an interesting contrast, Pink Floyd's Animals album, same year as Rumours, their take on Maggie

Back to topic, thanks so much Elle.. I love how passionate a LB fan you are and how you take time to post these interviews. This was a really good one.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From his furrowed brow, I think Lindsey was wondering why Goldie spent so much time trying to arrange the limp flower decoration.

Michele
Old 09-30-2011, 11:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
^Thank you.

So, he not only knows he has girls, he knows his daughters ages. Good for you, man.

How does he know the song wasn't written to have any political text? It could have been a message to Margaret Thatcher. She was leading the Conservatives then and Christine didn't want her to stop. Spurred her to victory in 1979.

Michele
Hence John's comment in '97: "Not Labour!"
Old 10-04-2011, 11:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Old 09-22-2012, 10:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

the whole interview...

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v22555910R4PdYmnG

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-22-2012, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post

That's a great interview, but is it different than the original, aired interview?? What part is extra? And ya know, they asked some good questions, but even when an interviewer tries to mix it up and not stick to the standard "what was it like making rumours" stuff, he always manges to find his way back to his canned answers Still, I like the fact that they all did their homework - or were actual fans - and were truly appreciative of Lindsey's work