User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:52 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Lukey's a good kid. Although he's probably very old by now.
27 in 3 weeks. I was 15 when I first started posting here... yikes.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

They can sing whatever Christine songs they like - except Songbird. If they attempted to do that the pain would be unimaginable and (not that it would matter a jot to them) I certainly wouldn't be paying out my hard earned cash.

Gail

Actually I don't think they should do You make Lovin Fun either, or Why or Brown Eyes or (insert own favourite Christine song)
Old 01-31-2009, 07:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Woo, my first post...

First off, Miley Cyrus? Thats just hilarious and beyond obscene....

Second, you cannot replace Christine. It can't be done, ever. And the thought of Sheryl Crowe even attempting to fill her boots made me twinge a few months ago when I found out. But I'm sure I would have ahd the same reaction with anyone that was suggested.

As much as Christine is actually probably my favourite member of the band (or was, as it were.), Stevie and Lindsey have plenty to keep us entertained with!!!!
Old 01-31-2009, 07:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHeart69 View Post
I have already read in one or two interviews a few months back that they would be showcasing the backup singers (Sharon and Jana...dont think Lori) in some of the songs so they could get some of the harmonies back... They ARENT replacing anyone!
Lori's gonna be there too!
Old 01-31-2009, 08:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamMcConville View Post
I wish they would hire Diana Krall.
No thanks.. only Christine!
Old 01-31-2009, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ench View Post
If there has to be a replacement, better it's someone who is a name artist in their own right and has their own style. Imagine Annie Lennox standing in, that would be fantastic. Sheryl Crow? Not bad, and clearly SC would be up for it. No name backing singer? Even if they do, technically, a better job, not so good.
annie's in a class of her own. she shouldn't be slumming it with FM.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:49 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post
annie's in a class of her own. she shouldn't be slumming it with FM.
Well, Annie is a respected artist and has her own identity. So I couldn't see her "filling in" for someone. But I'm not sure I'd go as far as saying that playing with FM would be "slumming it".
Old 01-31-2009, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

How about Carole King join Fleetwood Mac? She ain't doing much, right?
  1. She plays piano in a McVieish way (check out her lightweight blues intro to "Smackwater Jack")
  2. She sings in a McVieish way (reedy alto with minimal ornamentation)
  3. She writes classic pop songs
  4. She has a legacy & an audience
  5. She has the critical stature to play with the Mac (nobody would say she doesn't measure up)
  6. She's about their age.

True, she isn't a cutting-edge, push-the-envelope, "relevant" rock artiste, but then neither are they. Would she be compatible with Buckingham's more avant-garde leanings in the studio? Maybe not, but no less so than Nicks herself is.

Imagine a tour -- imagine a stage -- with Nicks & King harmonizing on a Buckingham song (or Buckingham & King harmonizing on a Nicks song).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fveEU8NAhcc

Old 01-31-2009, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Imagine Annie Lennox standing in, that would be fantastic.
I saw Lennox with Sting. She opened, but then he came out and did a song in her set and she returned at the end of his (much like Stevie and Don did). It was really spectacular and I think she and Lindsey could kill together. But she and Stevie would also be great on Here Comes the Rain Again. I'd love the pairing. But I don't think it would be good for her to play an entire set of songs with them. Actually, I could have taken Sheryl doing her own set and then joining FM for a song or two. I just didn't want her sitting in on all the songs. Michele
Old 01-31-2009, 11:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
How about Carole King join Fleetwood Mac? She ain't doing much, right?
  1. She plays piano in a McVieish way (check out her lightweight blues intro to "Smackwater Jack")
  2. She sings in a McVieish way (reedy alto with minimal ornamentation)
  3. She writes classic pop songs
  4. She has a legacy & an audience
  5. She has the critical stature to play with the Mac (nobody would say she doesn't measure up)
  6. She's about their age.

True, she isn't a cutting-edge, push-the-envelope, "relevant" rock artiste, but then neither are they. Would she be compatible with Buckingham's more avant-garde leanings in the studio? Maybe not, but no less so than Nicks herself is.

Imagine a tour -- imagine a stage -- with Nicks & King harmonizing on a Buckingham song (or Buckingham & King harmonizing on a Nicks song).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fveEU8NAhcc

Good call. I've had that thought once or twice, but she's got such a laundry list of classics that I'd almost hate to see it happen. I really don't want to deal with that "I didn't pay $20 to see Fleetwood Mac play somebody else's songs" logic again, like when Dave Mason was in the band. (I had fun, and thought the songs fit in well, but it was annoying to hear those drunk idiots bitch about it nonetheless.) Still, Mick and John would totally kick ass on on I Feel The Earth Move.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-01-2009, 05:27 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Good call. I've had that thought once or twice, but she's got such a laundry list of classics that I'd almost hate to see it happen. I really don't want to deal with that "I didn't pay $20 to see Fleetwood Mac play somebody else's songs" logic again, like when Dave Mason was in the band. (I had fun, and thought the songs fit in well, but it was annoying to hear those drunk idiots bitch about it nonetheless.) Still, Mick and John would totally kick ass on on I Feel The Earth Move.
I think CK would be a great choice. But I'd want to check out her recent writing (if any). CK had some classics in the 70s, and "It's too late" and "I feel the earth move" would fit right in. But I think it would be a mistake to include someone whose writing is past its best. Not that I'm saying that CK is, just that I don't know.

If CMcV is to be replaced, then I think it would be better done by releasing an album with new songs first, so that the new artist isn't just filling in, but has some FM songs of her own. And the CMcV songs to be performed could be spread around the singing members, so that the new members isn't "just" a replacement.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think CK would be a great choice. But I'd want to check out her recent writing (if any). CK had some classics in the 70s, and "It's too late" and "I feel the earth move" would fit right in. But I think it would be a mistake to include someone whose writing is past its best. Not that I'm saying that CK is, just that I don't know.

If CMcV is to be replaced, then I think it would be better done by releasing an album with new songs first, so that the new artist isn't just filling in, but has some FM songs of her own. And the CMcV songs to be performed could be spread around the singing members, so that the new members isn't "just" a replacement.
The more I think about it, I really wouldn't want CK to join Fleetwood Mac altogether, just co-headline a tour with the band, like the Billy Joel-Elton John tours. CK wouldn't become a member of the band, per se.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it would be odd to have a singer so established and iconic in her own right as Carole King join a band like Fleetwood Mac. I think if they do try and replace Christine it would be better to be get someone less well known, as they have in the past, whose sound can be adapted to the band rather than vice versa.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
I think it would be odd to have a singer so established and iconic in her own right as Carole King join a band like Fleetwood Mac. I think if they do try and replace Christine it would be better to be get someone less well known, as they have in the past, whose sound can be adapted to the band rather than vice versa.
I agree with that in principle, but I feel that it would have been important -- that whole idea of molding a newer talent -- twenty or so years ago, not now. The band seems to me today to be more suitable for more of a melding of the talents of yesteryear. I don't see them providing anything more in the way of that alchemy with which they used to make stars out of struggling nobodys. It just doesn't seem to me like the kind of band they are anymore. I see them now as gathering older legacies & creating mature (I hate that word), craft-based performances (& perhaps studio music) that appeal to the various categories of baby boomers.

I don't think the band's sound is as overpowering as it used to be, as filled with idiosyncratic & immediately identifiable personality. You used to be able to recognize the Mac from just a bar or two. Now you can't necessarily identify a Mac "sound" from several bars. That's why I see someone like Carole King fitting in a lot more seamlessly than she would have been able to, say, twenty years ago (for "Tango," for example).

moviekinks.blogspot.com

Last edited by David; 02-01-2009 at 11:09 PM..
Old 02-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not interested in hearing anyone sing Christine's songs except for Christine. I like that they gave her a nod with Don't Stop on the Say You Will tour. That was palatable for the fact that Lindsey sings half of it.

Stevie and Lindsey have a vast catalog of songs they could unleash.