Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-10-2006, 02:29 PM
Ledgie

Default Dinky Dawson & Shrine 69

When released I thought that I read someplace that this was the 1st of what was going to be a series of concert recordings to be released by Dinky Dawson. Does anybody remember hearing or reading anything like this?

Maybe it's just wishfull thinking on my part.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I seem to recall that, too. Again, that might've been Mick blowing smoke out of an orifice.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I do not believe that the implication was so much that it was to be the first of a series of "Fleetwood Mac" shows, but the the packaging itself, listing the CD as "Dinky Dawson's Live Archive The Dinky Who? Series" would lead one to believe that there were to be additional releases, possibly by other artists Dawson worked for.
His web site would bring you to the same conclusion. Most likely the licensing could not be worked out between the performers and the label.
As to Mick's involvement, he "sequenced" the disc and if you remember, the review copies originally had Spencer's R-rated version of "Blue Suede Shoes" in place of "Albatross".
It would have been a shame for that version of "Albatross" not to have been released as it is one of the finest they recorded IMO.
Listen to the version on "Live At the BBC", which they recorded just days after cutting the studio version. They can't get started and after they do, they can't seem to all come together for the ending

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 01-10-2006, 06:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue
As to Mick's involvement, he "sequenced" the disc and if you remember, the review copies originally had Spencer's R-rated version of "Blue Suede Shoes" in place of "Albatross".
Doe anyone have this Blue Suede Shoes version? I would be very interested.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think mine might have it...I'll check when I get home.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Dinky" Dawson sort of reminds me of "Binky" Beamont, British theater impresario & producer in the West End.

Anyone else?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 01-11-2006, 10:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"Dinky" Dawson...isn't that what the ladies used to snidely call the former host of Family Feud???
Old 01-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
I think mine might have it...I'll check when I get home.
Nope...mine has "Albatross" and ends with Jeremy's not exactly G-rated version of "Great Balls Of Fire".
Old 01-12-2006, 09:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Although I have still yet to hear the version from "Shrine '69", it seems fairly safe to say that it would be close to, if not the same as the version found on the "Roughage '69" bootleg -
Below is a write-up I had done of that version (apologies in advance to those with more refined sensibilities):

“Blue Suede Shoes (medley)” –
Here is Spencer in full “Elvis mode”. While of questionable taste, this is actually a well played and funny performance as the band never allows the music to take a back seat to the adolescent humor on display.
They rock through Carl Perkins’ signature tune in high style, utilizing the slightly faster arrangement favored by Presley. There is a fine guitar break and McVie’s “popping” bass line keeps the beat. The guitars begin to drop out and the band echoes Spencer’s words in harmony, as the number slows and they glide from “Blue Suede Shoes” to “All Shook Up”.
The shift from the straight forward chorus of “blue, blue, blue suede shoes” to “doo wop, suck my knob” is seamless and that is what makes it so effective. The contrast between what they are saying and the V-neck sweater and white shoes vocalizing provides the surprise to make the number successful.
Spencer gets aggressive once more as he shifts into the rhythm of “Whole Lotta Shakin’ Going On” while the band continues with “All Shook Up”, repeating only the second line of each verse to excellent effect.
After detailing his anatomical dimensions (complete with harmonized confirmation) they wrap up the number with a final verse of “Blue Suede Shoes” with full band accompaniment and the crowd goes wild.

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 01-13-2006, 05:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
I seem to recall that, too. Again, that might've been Mick blowing smoke out of an orifice.
I've never known Mick Fleetwood to do THAT.....
Old 01-13-2006, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk
Doe anyone have this Blue Suede Shoes version? I would be very interested.
I have it, I'll post it via Yousendit given the 2 requests in front of this go OK.

John
Old 01-14-2006, 08:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

OK, her's the original "Shrine '69" pressing version of "Blue suede shoes". Hope it works:

http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1...71TDHZ8GYXQWTY

John
Old 01-14-2006, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood
OK, her's the original "Shrine '69" pressing version of "Blue suede shoes". Hope it works:

http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1...71TDHZ8GYXQWTY

John
Thanks John, it did work and it is a great version!!!!
Old 01-14-2006, 05:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you John! Finally got the chance to hear it and I must say I am very surprised by the difference between this and the later version.
The energy level on the recording on "Roughage '69" is far higher, and I think makes the number that much more effective, although I did enjoy Spencer's piano solo on this recording.
Was this song at the end of the disc, after "Great Balls of Fire" or was the disc sequenced differently? I am curious as since it was sequenced by Mick Fleetwood, and this change was a "last minute" thing, the chances are good he was not even consulted, and I was just curious if there were any other changes in the order.
As the announcer comes on after "Great Balls of Fire" also, I guess that the songs are taken from at least the two sets that they played that night, if not from multiple nights.

E. Vedder
Old 01-14-2006, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue
Was this song at the end of the disc, after "Great Balls of Fire" or was the disc sequenced differently?
You're welcome guys, glad it worked, I'll do my best to get those video clips mentioned in the other threads in this forum posted somehow, I've PM'ed Jyqm who's been giving me instructions on the torrent thing & I think it'll take me a while to get my head around it but I'll do my best on that when I can (I'm in the process of a move right now so that'll slow the progress as well).

Anyways, yeah, BSS is at the end of the disc. This is the running order of the original disc:

Tune Up
If You Be My Baby
Something Inside Of Me
My Baby’s Sweet (Listed as “My Sweet Baby”)
Before The Beginning
Rollin' Man
Lemon Squeezer
Need Your Love So Bad
Great Balls Of Fire
Blue Suede Shoes

Hope this helps & hope that I'll be back in the other thread with some kind of links soon.

John