Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
No Rolling Stones covers in the bunch!
but it's a beautiful cover you have to admit! (although ruined when compared to that gorgeous demo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
I'd say 9-10 out of 14 songs were new. That's unprecedented for a Stevie album. This album is so new, it should have been sold with training wheels!
love it!!

i thought 10 songs were new? all except SL, Mooonlight and Annabel Lee - although that last one may be new music? if so, 11 new songs.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStevie View Post
Hey one question here. Why does Stevie only co-write her solo stuff? All her FM contributions she's given sole credit.
In the IYD's cd jacket it says words by Stevie Nicks music by Dave or Mike. With the Mac it is assumed all music by the band. Secret Love, Soldiers Angel, Moonlight, words and music by Stevie. Everybody Loves You words Dave and Stevie music Dave (fyi)

Last edited by fairydust75; 03-15-2012 at 08:28 PM..
Old 03-15-2012, 08:26 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Don't you find it humorous they can get along on outside projects since the 70s (Walter Egan, John Stewart, etc) up to and including last year's In Your Dreams (Soldier's Angel), but for some untold reason they just can't get along in Fleetwood Mac.
Yeah, but Stevie changes her tune on LB all the time, it's like a trademark. One minute JW is the love of her life, and working with LB is awful. The next minute, LB is her "musical soulmate", the love of her life and saved her most special song. It's an old story.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^ If I'm not mistaken, Stevie's given sole composition credit on all of her Mac stuff sans like Seven Wonders and The Chain and whatnot. The band does not just automatically get writing credit, which is why it is such a big deal for Mick and John to tour and such because they don't get the same amount of royalties.

I think the reason is because Stevie comes up with the chord progression and the melody. Fleetwood Mac 'fills it in' (and I say this somewhat tongue-in-cheek, because it's more like.. makes a complete song around the string of notes that she has). That's why songs like Secret Love, Moonlight, Soldier's Angel, and a plethora of other solo songs in her catalogue are also credited solely to her. Obviously Stevie is not writing bass parts or writing guitar riffs or anything like that, and she never has, she's always just come up with a progression, a tune, lyrics, and some atmosphere for the players to work off of.

With Dave, he was the one initially coming up with chord progressions which she would then sort of simultaneously compose a melody over... which is why, along with gratitude for his help, I think, he gets the sole credit for the music.

Additionally, people like Mike Campbell or Neale will just send her straight up musical tracks which she then puts lyrics to [or adapts lyrics to] - similar to what went on with Dave, in a sense, only not "live." The music is already complete when she gets it. With Dave it was a living breathing entity that could change or transform along the way to the final product.

If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me. This is just how I've always understood it to work.

Last edited by WildHearted; 03-15-2012 at 08:58 PM..
Old 03-15-2012, 08:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crylove77 View Post
Why not? It's true.
its true but its not something that a lot of weight should be put into. She wrote all the words and was in the same room as Dave was playing the music. She's not a musician. even when she "writes the music" it's gonna get changed eventually by the producers so whether it says S. Nicks or S. Nicks D. Stewart shouldn't really matter. Hell every Beatles song by either Paul Mcartney and John lennon is credited to Lennon/Mcartney despite how obvious the song was written by one or the other.

The point is She was heavily involved in creating ruffly 1w New songs (im including Moonlight for the added parts) with Secret Loveand Anabell Lee being her only fully old songs that were not used on other albums. Thats what elle was saying. That stevie didnt create anything new on IYD other then SA.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 03-15-2012, 08:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Don't you find it humorous they can get along on outside projects since the 70s (Walter Egan, John Stewart, etc) up to and including last year's In Your Dreams (Soldier's Angel), but for some untold reason they just can't get along in Fleetwood Mac.
To be fair, being around someone for the short period of time it takes to do those side projects (a few days, most of the time, no?) is a lot different than months on end, day to day, when recording an album or going on tour.

However it is a bit ridiculous/amusing the extremes that they categorize each other in depending on those situations, as you insinuated. When they see each other for a one-off sort of thing, they've rekindled, their relationship has been rejuvenated, they're closer than they have been since the day they met at a Young Life meeting. But put them in a room together for more than a week and they sing a completely different tune. Too much of a good thing, I suppose.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Like when she asked for his help on IYD?
Oops, my mistake. How I could I forget that Lindsey was responsible for IYD
Old 03-15-2012, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

While we're on this subject I would like to see Beyonce drop her solo career for a while and get back together with Destiny's Child and make a new album and go on tour.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephxaz View Post
Oops, my mistake. How I could I forget that Lindsey was responsible for IYD
Mike, I think you missed my point. I didn't make it well. I was talking about the album IYD and specifically the song Soldier's Angel. My bad.

I was hinting that Stevie had to ask Lindsey to help out to soothe his ego after praising Dave in public so much. I totally think she did that on purpose. A little love tap from the damsel in distress. He ran right over. Huge ego trip.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I know I'm in the Rumours forum where I have to expect more Stevie-bashing than in her own forum, but still I'm surprised. People complained ad nauseum about Unleashed....rehashing the same old songs, milking Rumours, being creatively bankrupt, etc., and now people are upset because Stevie isn't rushing out to do that again???? Surely all of us (including Homer McVie with his distaste for "Tumours" ) can see the irony of Mick saying "She just won't let it go."

I want to be clear, though, I would have a whole different response if Mick was talking about making a new album, but all he wants to do is tour. He should really focus on finding a way to make Fleetwood Mac interesting again. We get Rhiannon, Gold Dust Woman, and Landslide whenever Stevie steps on stage. Why not see her solo and also get Moonlight, Annabel Lee, and For What It's Worth instead of seeing Fleetwood Mac and getting only the staples? And couldn't you make a similar argument for Lindsey?
Old 03-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fannymac View Post
Stevie put her solo career on hold for almost a DECADE for Fleetwood Mac
I don't get this.. what decade? Before Bella Donna there wasn't a Stevie solo career, she got famous in Fleetwood Mac and before that she belonged to a band called Buckingham Nicks. And the 1994-2001 gap.. is not almost a decade, I think. And within that time there was only one Fleetwood Mac album: The Dance

The 2001-2011 gap, it's a decade yes, but there were just 2 FM albums; Say You Will and the Live in Boston... I think there was more reasons for not recording a studio album, beyond Fleetwood Mac

Quote:
. Let's face it, there is no Fleetwood Mac without Stevie.
Oh yes, there is a Fleetwood Mac without Stevie Nicks, but not as successful as they would want. I mean, I say this, not thinking as a fan. Probably I (and many of us) would find interesting to see Mick, John and Lindsey (and probable any new member), but do you think the general public would? Not at all, I'm sure. A tour with just those three would be a short one. Ok, you may answer me Who cares! I'd go to see them. But I do believe that Mick, John or Lindsey do care! A Fleetwood Mac tour in small theatres, or clubs... after being so successful during the Unleashed tour (I remember the AA arena at Dallas, almost sold out! Thousand of souls enjoying the show!)... not to mention the huge 70s tours... I don't think they would enjoy it.
Bob Brunning mentioned it in his book about the Time tour.. Fleetwood Mac sharing the stage with Reo Speedwagon..

Again, think like a common guy who likes FM wants to see them, not a die-hard fan. Fleetwood Mac without Christine.. and now without Stevie? It's like.. Beatles with Paul & Ringo, and some other supporting players. Hummm..... That would be more a Paul tour than a Beatles tour

Last edited by Villavic; 03-15-2012 at 09:32 PM..
Old 03-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
While we're on this subject I would like to see Beyonce drop her solo career for a while and get back together with Destiny's Child and make a new album and go on tour.
beyonce makes more or the same money recording and touring on her own as she would w/ DC.

stevie needs RS or FM to make that kind of money. now when she has RS, she might be dumping mac for good - maybe that's what mick's actually saying?
Old 03-15-2012, 09:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Mike, I think you missed my point. I didn't make it well. I was talking about the album IYD and specifically the song Soldier's Angel. My bad.

I was hinting that Stevie had to ask Lindsey to help out to soothe his ego after praising Dave in public so much. I totally think she did that on purpose. A little love tap from the damsel in distress. He ran right over. Huge ego trip.

Howdy Mr Stevie. I hear ya!! I think so much of it is politics. There is NO denying that Lindsey brings something to her music
Old 03-15-2012, 09:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
I know I'm in the Rumours forum where I have to expect more Stevie-bashing than in her own forum, but still I'm surprised. People complained ad nauseum about Unleashed....rehashing the same old songs, milking Rumours, being creatively bankrupt, etc., and now people are upset because Stevie isn't rushing out to do that again???? Surely all of us (including Homer McVie with his distaste for "Tumours" ) can see the irony of Mick saying "She just won't let it go."

I want to be clear, though, I would have a whole different response if Mick was talking about making a new album, but all he wants to do is tour. He should really focus on finding a way to make Fleetwood Mac interesting again. We get Rhiannon, Gold Dust Woman, and Landslide whenever Stevie steps on stage. Why not see her solo and also get Moonlight, Annabel Lee, and For What It's Worth instead of seeing Fleetwood Mac and getting only the staples? And couldn't you make a similar argument for Lindsey?
maybe would be good to go read non-chiffonhead posts in stevie forum's SN solo thread for some answers to your questions.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
beyonce makes more or the same money recording and touring on her own as she would w/ DC.

stevie needs RS or FM to make that kind of money. now when she has RS, she might be dumping mac for good - maybe that's what mick's actually saying?
I think you're on to something. Mick's jealous of Stevie doing a cash grab of her own with Rod Stewart rather than with the Mac, where he could cash in too. Damn her!