User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:34 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennation View Post
So you are upset cause she didn't sound good and you are upset because she tried to fix it?
I'm upset with pretty much every aspect of her performance last night. Well, disappointed, not upset. I have seen Stevie so many times and I can tell when she's into it and when she's not. But last night it seemed she was feeling nothing. It was such a "go through the motions" performance that it was almost sad. This is why I feel that it might be time for her to retire. I would rather remember her for the way that she was than how she is today. And by today, I mean literally today - 2009. I saw her with FM over a dozen times on the SYW tour and on the TV and GD tours of 2005, and she was excellent. Not as good as her prime years obviously, but still put on a good show with a passionate effort. Even on the CV tour, she put on a pretty good show. But seeing her last night seeming so devoid of feeling the words that she sings is so un-Stevie like. For those of you who have watched her for years, you know exactly what I'm talking about. It has nothing to do with how fast she twirls or how hard she bangs that tambourine, but the feeling she sends out into the crowd while she's performing. She had that magic, no matter how she looked, what she was wearing, or how good or bad she might have been feeling. But that magic was no where to be found last night. She had zero chemistry with Lindsey and she rarely even looked at him. She just wasn't connecting with anything - not with the crowd, not with her band, not with her songs, and not with herself. As a long time fan, it was pretty disappointing.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
That's one opinion, which you are most certainly entitled to. But man, I've read so many other comments of folks who attended the show last night, and said just the opposite. Even the press gave the WHOLE BAND rave reviews. It's funny how some people can go to the same show and see things so differently.

I thought Stevie's Soundstage was exceptionally good. I can also testify that the performances on her last two solo tours were inspiring and totally enjoyable, to me. Stevie Nicks will leave that stage when she's damn well ready to. I don't think it's going to happen any time soon!

I agree with you: I don't think Stevie's going anywhere. I am seeing more positive than negative comments. Maybe Stevie will leave Fleetwood Mac at the end of this tour, but I think she's got a strong enough following to continuing performing at a solo level that suites her. Stevie definitely happier and more animated when she's not with Lindsey. She was the happy rocker chick with Don Henley and Tom Petty on her recent outtings. Her Soundstage DVD is the best looking recording of Stevie that we've seen in years!

Both Stevie and Lindsey admit to years of not getting along and have constant power plays. That's not going to change. However, last night seems nothing more than 'first night jitters' for Stevie. As someone pointed out, you could actually see gooseflesh on her arms on one of the photos. Stevie doesn't like to take chances and has a clear comfort zone. At least STORMS is out of the vaults this time around. There's about 12 more that deserve to be "unleashed." And a few, perhaps, that ought to be "chained up."

At this point, I think if Stevie OR Lindsey left, there wouldn't be enough to sustain "Fleetwood Mac"- particularly worse if Stevie left. If you want to see more Lindsey solo you better be hoping this "money machine thing" works.

People whined at the possibility of "replacing" or filling in the vacancy left by Christine, and while a solid number of people on The Penguin appreciated Bekka Bramlett, I've certainly read enough whining over the years to know most won't deal with Stevie leaving. Rather than Sheryl Crow, they should have, perhaps, tried another more seasoned British female, at least someone with the same name. What's Chrissie Hynde up to these days? Nah, she's not a piano player. She's a songwriter/singer/guitarist. Would she give any balance or referee in the Stevie/Lindsey issues? Who knows. Who would want to take on that job! Whatever they do, I don't think they should give up on putting someone else in the band IF they want to push on and get an album out. I guess we have to see if they get through this tour first.

So who is bringing in the audience and filling the seats? I don't think it's Mick and his vest. And as the most "normal" member of the band at this point, I don't think it's John with his killer bass. I think it's the drama, it's the MUSIC, also the draw of both Stevie and Lindsey.

While I think TheScoop is rough in his overall assessment of Ms. Nicks, it's his opinion. Stevie does play with that ear piece/pocket thing too much. She's fussing less with playing with her formerly billowing dresses at least. Some of that behavior is probably nerves. Maybe she's getting feedback in her ear. I remember that was an issue on the Trouble In Shangri-la tour and Lori figured it out.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

Could the problem be with her & not the device? Is she losing her hearing? It's not unheard of for rock stars to lose their hearing in old age.
Certainly it's not. Mick has lost his hearing after all. Yes, there was one song where Stevie sang it with BOTH of her hands up to her ears for a few minutes. I don't remember what it was, but it was like she was making headphones out of the palm of her hands and that was the only gesture we were getting from her for about a minute, as she sang. Kind of funny actually. Like she was pretending to be the "Hear No Evil" monkey.

I do think there was something wrong with the sound last night, because I could hardly hear the woman on Monday Morning and The Chain. I wouldn't have known she was there if my eyes were closed. After that it could have been all in her imagination.

Oh Tango, what you said about some songs that ought to be chained up is priceless. So funny.
Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 03-03-2009 at 01:31 AM..
Old 03-03-2009, 02:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScoop View Post
I'm upset with pretty much every aspect of her performance last night. Well, disappointed, not upset. I have seen Stevie so many times and I can tell when she's into it and when she's not. But last night it seemed she was feeling nothing. It was such a "go through the motions" performance that it was almost sad. This is why I feel that it might be time for her to retire. I would rather remember her for the way that she was than how she is today. And by today, I mean literally today - 2009. I saw her with FM over a dozen times on the SYW tour and on the TV and GD tours of 2005, and she was excellent. Not as good as her prime years obviously, but still put on a good show with a passionate effort. Even on the CV tour, she put on a pretty good show. But seeing her last night seeming so devoid of feeling the words that she sings is so un-Stevie like. For those of you who have watched her for years, you know exactly what I'm talking about. It has nothing to do with how fast she twirls or how hard she bangs that tambourine, but the feeling she sends out into the crowd while she's performing. She had that magic, no matter how she looked, what she was wearing, or how good or bad she might have been feeling. But that magic was no where to be found last night. She had zero chemistry with Lindsey and she rarely even looked at him. She just wasn't connecting with anything - not with the crowd, not with her band, not with her songs, and not with herself. As a long time fan, it was pretty disappointing.

Scoop, I have no idea who you are and have had no interaction with you. But from this post alone, I will disagree with the many and deem you authentic and not a troll.

As if you give two rips what I think.

I've seen too many phoned in performances to think that your reaction is merely naysaying and dissing just to diss.
I get the impression that you really are a lifelong fan and you are going through the kind of thing I went through many many years ago.

I skipped the CV tour. And the Gold Dust tour, I think. I dunno. I can't remember anymore. I have seen so many shows it is very difficult to keep track anymore. I know there were a few shows I could have just drove 15 minutes to the Greek, got my comps and parking, gone backstage and done it all free. I couldn't be bothered.

But let me say this - I don't disbelieve a word of what you say.

SO many people are so enamored of Stevie (and her bank account thanks you for it) that she simply needs to show up and be alive for them to be thrilled. The expectations
are bottom of the barrel. I have been there. Just simply seeing her in person can be such a thrill, and such a fulfillment of a fantasy that all objectivity flies straight out the window.

Add to this the idea that she is this odd vessel that people project their own weaknesses and neuroses onto and you have an odd situation. People almost WANT her to be weak
and fragile. It fulfills some bizarre fantasy they have about her and themselves. "It's just nerves! It's only the first show! She must have had a bad day!"

It is a million and one excuses to make her seem more human and flawed in order to make her seem down to earth.

The fact is that she is, or should be, a professional. First and foremost. They had weeks of rehearsal. They should have a top notch sound and light crew. There is NO excuse for that monitor drama. No expense is spared, and they are asking for a king's ransom for each evening they perform. The ticket prices you people are paying reflect
that.

So should the audience expect perfection?

YES. Damn near, the audience should.

From people who have been doing this for a living for 40 years? Damn right they should expect perfect. Try flubbing **** and blowing lyrics and sleepwalking through a Broadway opening. 10 million gone. Show closed. Rock and Roll my ass. People expect professionals to be professionals. God knows my ass would be fired if my set sucked on the first shoot day.

Would Tina Turner's audience balk at her screwing up her dancing during Nutbush? Almost falling off as she scuttled across a scaffolding a few feet wide above the audience with no net?

Of course they would.

Would Madonna's audience howl and blog in horror if her dancing and interaction with her props and scenery looked clunky on the first night? Would they screech and hoot in disgust and call her a hack when they paid a fortune for a flawless performance?

You're damned right they would and with good reason.

They paid top dollar and expect a well rehearsed and professional show. No matter the fact that a mere human being is doing the performing. You demand over a hundred bucks for the privilege of watching you perform and you better damned well deliver.

For some incredibly screwed up reason, a lot of people love for Stevie to be weak. They sympathize, they love her for being nervous. They project their own shortcomings on her - being sick, being tired, being fat, you name it.
It humanizes her, but it also gives her carte blanche to turn in blase performances. Which she has done on and off for her entire career for various and sundry reasons.

Don't get me wrong. I have seen her be brilliant. And I ate it up and counted myself lucky. And I have seen her be dismal. Utterly dismal and unprofessional even in the past few years when purportedly sober.

There are lots of young fans here and even older ones who are still mesmerized by her every move. Of course her every gesture enthralls them. They are under the spell of her persona, which is still considerable. If I had a few bucks for every friend I drug to a show that intoxicated me and my guest said, "That's it?"

Love's a state of mind, indeed.

So, I don't fork over money anymore. I would rather remember the glory shows I have seen. I'm interested in
emotional involvement and full commitment in shows and performers.
Homegirl is just pulling a retirement paycheck these days and god bless her that she can. I hope she makes a few million on this tour, gets a kick ass face job from Catherine Deneuve's surgeon, gets truly inspired again, and does one more album.

Odds are highly against it but it would be a sweet coda to an uneven but fascinating career.

For now I've made my contribution to her bank account. Ten times over. I'm happy to watch the videos.

Thank you for your honest posts.

God knows people have chafed at mine over the years.

As for the performances...

Good god, Storms isn't supposed to be barked.

It ought to be whispered.

Points for effort, regardless.

Don't Stop made my teeth hurt. WTF with that hamhanded
piano from Tuggle?

And Rosie deserves a years late Emmy for her Stevie spinning impersonation on Arsenio Hall years ago.

The Stand Back spins from 3/1/09 confirmed her prophecy.

Slo Mo. Bored. Utterly disengaged.

All animals are equal. But some animals are more equal than others.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:23 AM
Ledgie

I really appreciate Sparky's post. I think I'm a bit more sympathetic but do agree how we FM and SN fans are often so intensely committed that we are unable of saying anything that might sound like critique.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

You know the idea that Stevie forgot lyrics last night is just wrong. Saying "turned" instead of "walked" is not forgetting the lyrics. She changed a word on Stand Back and sure she doesn't sing Christine's words to Don't Stop or SYLM, but I don't think she forgot them so much as she has never known them.

You guys are talking about her flubbing lines as if she stumbled her way through Dreams and couldn't remember whether she was keeping her visions or her venison to herself. Well, that didn't happen. Not even close. It's one thing to say she was not a ball of fire, but the descriptions are getting absurd, as if she practically had to be picked up off the floor and there were klonopin flashbacks. Nothing could be further from the truth. Yeah, if you've seen her a lot, you could tell that she wasn't at her best, but people who were introduced to her yesterday probably thought they got a flawless show from her. And I couldn't tell them they're wrong.

Michele
Old 03-03-2009, 06:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
Scoop, I have no idea who you are and have had no interaction with you. But from this post alone, I will disagree with the many and deem you authentic and not a troll.

As if you give two rips what I think.

I've seen too many phoned in performances to think that your reaction is merely naysaying and dissing just to diss.
I get the impression that you really are a lifelong fan and you are going through the kind of thing I went through many many years ago.

I skipped the CV tour. And the Gold Dust tour, I think. I dunno. I can't remember anymore. I have seen so many shows it is very difficult to keep track anymore. I know there were a few shows I could have just drove 15 minutes to the Greek, got my comps and parking, gone backstage and done it all free. I couldn't be bothered.

But let me say this - I don't disbelieve a word of what you say.

SO many people are so enamored of Stevie (and her bank account thanks you for it) that she simply needs to show up and be alive for them to be thrilled. The expectations
are bottom of the barrel. I have been there. Just simply seeing her in person can be such a thrill, and such a fulfillment of a fantasy that all objectivity flies straight out the window.

Add to this the idea that she is this odd vessel that people project their own weaknesses and neuroses onto and you have an odd situation. People almost WANT her to be weak
and fragile. It fulfills some bizarre fantasy they have about her and themselves. "It's just nerves! It's only the first show! She must have had a bad day!"

It is a million and one excuses to make her seem more human and flawed in order to make her seem down to earth.

The fact is that she is, or should be, a professional. First and foremost. They had weeks of rehearsal. They should have a top notch sound and light crew. There is NO excuse for that monitor drama. No expense is spared, and they are asking for a king's ransom for each evening they perform. The ticket prices you people are paying reflect
that.

So should the audience expect perfection?

YES. Damn near, the audience should.

From people who have been doing this for a living for 40 years? Damn right they should expect perfect. Try flubbing **** and blowing lyrics and sleepwalking through a Broadway opening. 10 million gone. Show closed. Rock and Roll my ass. People expect professionals to be professionals. God knows my ass would be fired if my set sucked on the first shoot day.

Would Tina Turner's audience balk at her screwing up her dancing during Nutbush? Almost falling off as she scuttled across a scaffolding a few feet wide above the audience with no net?

Of course they would.

Would Madonna's audience howl and blog in horror if her dancing and interaction with her props and scenery looked clunky on the first night? Would they screech and hoot in disgust and call her a hack when they paid a fortune for a flawless performance?

You're damned right they would and with good reason.

They paid top dollar and expect a well rehearsed and professional show. No matter the fact that a mere human being is doing the performing. You demand over a hundred bucks for the privilege of watching you perform and you better damned well deliver.

For some incredibly screwed up reason, a lot of people love for Stevie to be weak. They sympathize, they love her for being nervous. They project their own shortcomings on her - being sick, being tired, being fat, you name it.
It humanizes her, but it also gives her carte blanche to turn in blase performances. Which she has done on and off for her entire career for various and sundry reasons.

Don't get me wrong. I have seen her be brilliant. And I ate it up and counted myself lucky. And I have seen her be dismal. Utterly dismal and unprofessional even in the past few years when purportedly sober.

There are lots of young fans here and even older ones who are still mesmerized by her every move. Of course her every gesture enthralls them. They are under the spell of her persona, which is still considerable. If I had a few bucks for every friend I drug to a show that intoxicated me and my guest said, "That's it?"

Love's a state of mind, indeed.

So, I don't fork over money anymore. I would rather remember the glory shows I have seen. I'm interested in
emotional involvement and full commitment in shows and performers.

Homegirl is just pulling a retirement paycheck these days and god bless her that she can. I hope she makes a few million on this tour, gets a kick ass face job from Catherine Deneuve's surgeon, gets truly inspired again, and does one more album.

Odds are highly against it but it would be a sweet coda to an uneven but fascinating career.

For now I've made my contribution to her bank account. Ten times over. I'm happy to watch the videos.

Thank you for your honest posts.

God knows people have chafed at mine over the years.

As for the performances...

Good god, Storms isn't supposed to be barked.

It ought to be whispered.

Points for effort, regardless.

Don't Stop made my teeth hurt. WTF with that hamhanded
piano from Tuggle?

And Rosie deserves a years late Emmy for her Stevie spinning impersonation on Arsenio Hall years ago.

The Stand Back spins from 3/1/09 confirmed her prophecy.

Slo Mo. Bored. Utterly disengaged.
Yes. 99% yes (the 1% is that I will be going to another show because unlike you, I can not stop myself). I have been saying the same thing since TISL. Stevie (for me) has been emotionally gone with few moments of interest for years. I like how scoop says it's not how hard she bangs her tambourine or how fast she spins- it's the fact that she is not emotionally present much anymore. It could be that those of us who have seen her in her glory days are comparing too harshly.

I'll go and I will find a moment of fabulousness with Stevie and try not to focus on her disinterest.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShangriLaTroubl View Post
She made the boks look a little better in 2005, when she added the leg warmers..it didn't make them stand out so much like big bricks (like they did on the TISL tour)
absolutely. She also wore a much longer skirt, as opposed to TISL and SYW and was thinner so that all worked to make the boks look as good as they could. The leg warmers did work wonders!
Old 03-03-2009, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sparky - your post was very well written. You just summed it up for me. I've been there - excited & thrilled, really impressed by a performance. The solo LB shows I attended were some of the best concerts I've ever seen by anyone. As recently as '07 I was posting reviews about how Stevie was "on fire" after seeing her. I am not a bitter former fan - I am a diehard Mac & Stevie fan. But I am no longer blindly in love with them, eating up everything & anything they do. I'm realistic & more unbiased than in the past.

I know that a Youtube vid can't capture the moment & it's always better when you see it in person. But it can usually give you a good idea. I still literally get chills from the vids of B&tB from the first 2 Vegas shows in '05. I have been really impressed by footage of recent performances (Stevie solo spring or summer '08? That Rhiannon - when she hit several high notes? WOW.) But none of the vids from Sunday's show impressed me at all.

For the first time in 12 years, I am seriously considering not going to a show this tour. I was that let down. I am going to give it a few more shows, hopefully it was just an off night. I really want to meet up with friends who I haven't seen in a while (I'm talking to you, Canuck!) so I would like to go & experience it one more time. But I really can't justify spending almost $200 to do it. I dunno. I'm ambivalent at this point.

To those crying about the negative posts - this is a message board. It's a public forum. People are free to express their opinions about the band, the music, the clothes, whatever the hell they want to. Debate it, disagree with them, talk about your difference of opinion. Back up your thoughts on the matter with details & let's talk about it. But to tell someone to stop whining & complaining, or "shut up & don't go"? It's really immature & childish. You're basically saying "you're a big stupid head, Stevie is the best singer of all time ever anywhere" and walking away in a huff. It doesn't prove your point at all.

Most people I've seen expressing a less than positive opinion have done so in a really detailed way. "I didn't like the way they did so&so & here's why..." They haven't put down anyone who did enjoy the show. They didn't come here & say "wow, they really suck" or "I can't stand Mac." They explained why they have that opinion & gave reasons. Nothing wrong with that.

And I don't think Scoop is a troll either. I don't think his supposed "inside scoop" was much to get excited about, but he seems like a rational person.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You know what makes it all great? Every fan has a different way of expressing their fandom. I can understand what Scoop and Sparky are saying. For me, the resaon I am going as much as I am now is that I never had the chance to do so back in the late 70's and 80's because I was either too young or didnt have enough money.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
You know what makes it all great? Every fan has a different way of expressing their fandom. I can understand what Scoop and Sparky are saying. For me, the resaon I am going as much as I am now is that I never had the chance to do so back in the late 70's and 80's because I was either too young or didnt have enough money.
What did you think of the opening night show? Did you feel something was "off?" Did you think the while show was incredible?
Old 03-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
What did you think of the opening night show? Did you feel something was "off?" Did you think the while show was incredible?
I felt that Stevie was slightly off, but not much. It's worthy to note here specifically as it relates to the Standback twirls, she was wearing her normal boots, but the heels were almost like stilletto heels, I noticed that. And I think she was maybe trying to be careful. Just a thought. Overall I was very impressed, I would give it at least an 8 out of 10. Oh and one more thing, with all due respect to Sparky, I totally disagree with his take on Storms. I thought her getting into it and showing real emotion was probably the highlight of the night for me.

Last edited by DavidMn; 03-03-2009 at 01:03 PM..
Old 03-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i completely agree regarding Storms. I really enjoyed the song and the way she showed the emotion as she sang it.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
I felt that Stevie was slightly off, but not much. It's worthy to note here specifically as it relates to the Standback twirls, she was wearing her normal boots, but the heels were almost like stilletto heels, I noticed that. And I think she was maybe trying to be careful. Just a thought. Overall I was very impressed, I would give it at least an 8 out of 10. Oh and one more thing, with all due respect to Sparky, I totally disagree with his take on Storms. I thought her getting into it and showing real emotion was probably the highlight of the night for me.
I remember feeling this way when I saw SYW in Atlantic City (April 2003). This was back when Stevie was still rocking the "cardi-granny" but was actually wearing the platform boots throughout the entire show. She barely moved and her expressions and demeanor were kinda flat and disinterested. She hardly smiled and she basically went through the motions. However, seeing them again a few weeks later (when Stevie started wearing the Frankenbocks again) was a 180° difference- more energy, more spins, more smiles, more... Stevie.

I can only surmise that Stevie's off night was due to a combination of factors: technical glitches, nerves, lack of familiarity, etc. But I suspect that, considering it was the first night of the tour, she didn't want to do anything to jeopardize her voice or well-being. I mean, could you imagine spinning like a whirling dervish in those platforms and taking a major spill on opening night? And she is of the age where bones are less able to withstand falls... Anyway, I'm hopeful that once they work out the technical kinks and as she gets more familiar with the pacing of the show, that she will start to loosen up...
Old 03-03-2009, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
I can only surmise that Stevie's off night was due to a combination of factors: technical glitches, nerves, lack of familiarity, etc. But I suspect that, considering it was the first night of the tour, she didn't want to do anything to jeopardize her voice or well-being. I mean, could you imagine spinning like a whirling dervish in those platforms and taking a major spill on opening night? And she is of the age where bones are less able to withstand falls... Anyway, I'm hopeful that once they work out the technical kinks and as she gets more familiar with the pacing of the show, that she will start to loosen up...

The tech problems are unacceptable, IMO. A band of this caliber & their sound guys can't get it right? Have they not been rehearsing for severl weeks?

And I get what you're saying about the risk of injury with spinning. I say, DON'T SPIN. Dance around in place, whip your shawl around, do that shimmy move. Don't make a few awkward turns. It really did look like it was slo-mo.