User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-28-2004, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I totally remembered that part when you said it. He sounded so whiny/wussy there thanks, macman! now i'm thinking of my mom making fun of him singing GYOW in whiny voice. good times...
I said that line (Jesus Christ man!) in LB's "high pitched squeak" to Seteca a few weeks back and cracked him up! by doing it.

I think LB is a great artist but he cracks me up with the innocent look and high voiced defensive stand when anybody criticises him. It's priceless

For instance, "Look at that filmmaker, what's his name" High pitched reply to Mick about doing the "artistic thing" with a double album.. Wonderful stuff...
Old 11-28-2004, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
And I wouldn't presume to say he is. No one is a true progressive unless they actually work towards a goal and put their blood and tears into making good things happen. Donating money doesn't mean ****, you have to grab a sign and picket.

I think donating money is good as long as you check out the places its going to and are happy with your choice. A balance is required for sure.

It's like Live Aid, which I've been watching again this week. It took blood, sweat and tears by Geldof and the rest of the artists involved to make it happen, but without the donations from those who couldn't do anything else but donate money to help it wouldn't have achieved anything..
Old 11-28-2004, 10:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm gonna go back a bit to the posts about Stevie praying to the commercial gods:
What's wrong with that? I don't think in any way she was inferring "let me be a radio star splashed about in the media like Britney or myself back in the day!"
I think it was more like "after all this time and work, please let us still have an audience".
And she might have been thinking: we are minus Christine and Lindsey is going out on a limb again(and this isn't 1979), will that put people off? So she wrote a song that sounded like a radio hit...maybe with hit potential in mind (SYW), but isn't that what this incarnation of Fleetwood Mac is famous for, well crafted, radio friendly pop-rock? Of course she'd pray for success, what else would she pray for, that Lindsey feels artistically satisfied? Let him pray for that himself.
And the part about her assistant: I do agree she always seems to want to have people around. She had the band, but without Christine she probably didn't feel she really had someone from her camp. And she does, and always has, complained about dominant men in the music business. She projects a somewhat fragile, passive personna e.g. comments about not liking organizing the solo tours because she "doesn't like being the boss and having to make all the decisions". And judging by Lindsey's past & present dominant behavior, I'm surprised any of them want to work with him again. Except they do know his creative part in the band as the architect of their sound, which makes me think Stevie was obviously not the only one praying to the gods of commerce. You know Mick probably sold his soul to the devil to make the tour such a huge success, after his prayers to the gods of commerce weren't answered for his film career or his auction business or his wine selling, etc. etc.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Your whole premise is based on the fact that they're rich, though. I'm not hurting for money, does that make me hypocritical for being a Democrat for so long? When I got my tax break, I donated all of it. Party affiliation is not as black and white as you make it out to be when it comes to that point. AND - your point is rather moot because anyone who isn't a Republican has a firm grasp of the real world.
Well may I point out that the one band member who you said you liked in the Documentary is a Republican

He Will Burn You Down
Old 11-28-2004, 10:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
DR sucks for the simple fact that it's all drama and nothing else. I wanted to hear and see the songs being constructed. What a missed opportunity that was.
I was disappointed we didn't get to see the REAL fights. The one that Mick refers to at the end, where he acts like the Mac might not even do an extended tour. The one that was supposedly about "running order." Now THAT would have been drama. What we got was some nice conversations and maybe a couple times where a voice was raised for a couple sentences before all was hunky dory again. The reason I like the emotional moment where Lindsey cries was because it was one of the few times where "This is on camera" was not playing in the back of their heads.

Old 11-28-2004, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts
I was disappointed we didn't get to see the REAL fights. The one that Mick refers to at the end, where he acts like the Mac might not even do an extended tour. The one that was supposedly about "running order." Now THAT would have been drama. What we got was some nice conversations and maybe a couple times where a voice was raised for a couple sentences before all was hunky dory again. The reason I like the emotional moment where Lindsey cries was because it was one of the few times where "This is on camera" was not playing in the back of their heads.
Thank you, I agree! If they're gonna have drama, at least give us the good stuff!
Old 11-28-2004, 11:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricohv
I'm gonna go back a bit to the posts about Stevie praying to the commercial gods:
What's wrong with that? I don't think in any way she was inferring "let me be a radio star splashed about in the media like Britney or myself back in the day!"
I think it was more like "after all this time and work, please let us still have an audience".
And she might have been thinking: we are minus Christine and Lindsey is going out on a limb again(and this isn't 1979), will that put people off? So she wrote a song that sounded like a radio hit...maybe with hit potential in mind (SYW), but isn't that what this incarnation of Fleetwood Mac is famous for, well crafted, radio friendly pop-rock? Of course she'd pray for success, what else would she pray for, that Lindsey feels artistically satisfied? Let him pray for that himself.
And the part about her assistant: I do agree she always seems to want to have people around. She had the band, but without Christine she probably didn't feel she really had someone from her camp. And she does, and always has, complained about dominant men in the music business. She projects a somewhat fragile, passive personna e.g. comments about not liking organizing the solo tours because she "doesn't like being the boss and having to make all the decisions". And judging by Lindsey's past & present dominant behavior, I'm surprised any of them want to work with him again. Except they do know his creative part in the band as the architect of their sound, which makes me think Stevie was obviously not the only one praying to the gods of commerce. You know Mick probably sold his soul to the devil to make the tour such a huge success, after his prayers to the gods of commerce weren't answered for his film career or his auction business or his wine selling, etc. etc.
Yup, Stevie is a goddess and everyone else sucks.

Old 11-28-2004, 11:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
You know he's right...
Old 11-28-2004, 11:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
You know he's right...
As right as Ann Coulter when she says the sky isn't blue.

Old 11-28-2004, 11:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
As right as Ann Coulter when she says the sky isn't blue.
oh, please... SUCH a reach...
Old 11-28-2004, 11:55 PM
Senior Ledgie

I truly think Lindsey has always been the most pretentious and shallow when it comes to calling the shots as they are. He talks about spontaneity, yet possesses none, and all that starving artist bull**** just rings false. Remember Stevie is the one who supported them both when they moved to Los Angeles in the early 70's, and he's never held a real job since. Granted, he is a wonderful arranger, producer, and guitarist-not a great singer though-but he's basically full of pretension. Stevie has always seemed alot more honest, except for when she was using.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somajoseph
I truly think Lindsey has always been the most pretentious and shallow when it comes to calling the shots as they are. He talks about spontaneity, yet possesses none, and all that starving artist bull**** just rings false. Remember Stevie is the one who supported them both when they moved to Los Angeles in the early 70's, and he's never held a real job since. Granted, he is a wonderful arranger, producer, and guitarist-not a great singer though-but he's basically full of pretension. Stevie has always seemed alot more honest, except for when she was using.
Also, Stevie is actually spontaneous...
Old 11-29-2004, 01:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Not that it matters, but my opinion on it has always been that they each have their prima donna moments. Creative people are a mercurial lot, no matter how you slice it. There's always a degree of egotism and stubbornness.

I'd bet there have been times throughout the years when every last one of them (including John) have been downright insufferable about something... a lyric, a guitar part, an out of tune piano, the way the bass line should be played, how the drums are mixed, the running order, a song that was dropped, etc., etc.

In this particular documentary, Stevie came off as more flexible and willing to compromise than Lindsey did, in my opinion. But a documentary about 'Mirage,' for example, might have shown the opposite.

One of the best observations Lindsey has ever made, is that "no one falls into a simple set of labels."
Old 11-29-2004, 01:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
That's not what he was saying, and you know it.
He was stating the opinion that, whether we saw it on camera or not, Stevie isn't the only one who might pray to the commercial gods for the project to be well received.
I don't see any instance in his post where he was saying Stevie was better than anyone else, or, more importantly, where he said she was perfect... and, yet, anytime someone offers a view of Stevie's behaviour that isn't intrinsically negative, you automatically dismiss them as being a mindless lemming.

That view suffers as much from tunnel vision as that of those who think Stevie is without imperfection.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:18 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
Not that it matters, but my opinion on it has always been that they each have their prima donna moments. Creative people are a mercurial lot, no matter how you slice it. There's always a degree of egotism and stubbornness.

I'd bet there have been times throughout the years when every last one of them (including John) have been downright insufferable about something... a lyric, a guitar part, an out of tune piano, the way the bass line should be played, how the drums are mixed, the running order, a song that was dropped, etc., etc.

In this particular documentary, Stevie came off as more flexible and willing to compromise than Lindsey did, in my opinion. But a documentary about 'Mirage,' for example, might have shown the opposite.

One of the best observations Lindsey has ever made, is that "no one falls into a simple set of labels."
Agreed.

For whatever it's worth...A couple years ago Stevie and Lindsey's alma mater, Menlo Atherton, had a 50th anniversary celebration or something like that. My father happens to teach there. He talked to a woman who was at the school at the same time as Lindsey and Stevie. She said she just remembered them as a couple of weird kids who always were on the front steps, practicing playing their guitars constantly. No pretense, no haughtiness; they didn't think they were better than anyone else. Apparently, people even made fun of Stevie and Lindsey.

I have yet to see Destiny Rules, and I sincerely doubt that there is any content on the DVD that will make me dislike any of the members. Each has their own ego and pride. Each has their positives and negatives. They're wealthy superstars but they are still human.

Mick is money-hungry. Lindsey is pompous. Stevie is eccentric. John is a Republican. Frankly, I wouldn't have it any other way. The mix of personalities helped give birth to some of the best music of the past thirty years. All sixteen(?) members of Fleetwood Mac (especially Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Peter Green, Danny Kirwan, Bob Welch, Lindsey Buckingham, and Stevie Nicks) have changed my life through their musical contributions. I'm forever thankful for that. Far as I'm concerned, they can go their own ways.

Maybe I'm just naiive. That's my two cents worth.

-Justin