The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: What's in the name? Under what name should they have released this album?
Fleetwood Mac (it's Lindsey, Christine, Mick and John = no brainer!) 16 42.11%
Lindsey Buckingham / Christine McVie 16 42.11%
BuckVie (or some other similar combo of their 2 names) 6 15.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2017, 10:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default What's in the name?

reading through various threads, the issue of whether or not the 4 should have called themselves Fleetwood Mac and tour with Mick and John pops up in at least every other thread. then others think that maybe they should have made up a name like the BuckVie we all use, as if they are a new band.

in the last month plus, since the album came out and they started touring, i actually slowly came to the conclusion that what they did is incerdibly smart (and i'm the first one to never ever consider these people smart ) - they called the album and the tour by their 2 names, like so many other duos that came together in the past and present did. makes sense! why make up a band name if it may only be a one-off? and - this actually puts their 2 names out there more than they've ever been (except i'm guessing during their 70s heyday but i was not around for that so have no clue?). SN was the only known FM name, and now people are starting to know CM and LB as also names within FM. i was the first one, yelling the loudest that this album should have been Fleetwood Mac. and it is much more so than SYW as far as macy-ness goes (SYW as far as i'm concerned was a spectacular LB solo album torn apart, depleted of additional fantastic LB songs that should have been on there and spoiled with mostly much weaker SN songs that had no place being there). but now i'm kinda happy they put it out under their 2 names - and that it's doing so well on the charts, especially in this day and age - much better in the UK than the Fleetwood Mac monikered album SYW ever did!

soooooo - here 's a poll for ya!

what name should they have used to release this album:

Fleetwood Mac (it's Lindsey, Christine, Mick and John = no brainer!)
Lindsey Buckingham / Christine McVie
BuckVie (or some other similar combo of their 2 names)

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 07-09-2017, 11:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Album/Touring

I am glad to see them get recognition outside of the Fleetwood Mac moniker.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I didn't purchase a physical copy of this album to be able to look at liner notes. Are we sure John and Mick are on every track? That's the deciding factor to me.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I didn't purchase a physical copy of this album to be able to look at liner notes. Are we sure John and Mick are on every track? That's the deciding factor to me.
i have a CD and it doesn't say in liner notes - it has on one page listed by songs who wrote which song, who produced which song (since producers were different) and who mixed which song. then it has who mastered the album, who published it, where it was recorded (The Village Studios, LB's house, Mitchell Froom's house).

then on a whole separate page it says:

Lindsey Buckingham – guitars, keyboards, bass, drums, percussion and vocals
Christine McVie – keyboards and vocals
Mick Fleetwood – drums and percussion
John McVie – bass
Mitchell Froom – keyboards

which makes it look like all 5 are on each of the songs... which we know is not really true, since Froom i don't think is on at least 3 of the songs - FAY, GOP and CB.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 07-09-2017, 04:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I recall several interviews that indicated Mick and John appear on 8 of the 10 tracks on Buckingham/McVie. I cant quite tell which are the two they aren't on. I'd guess at Game of Pretend- I cant detect any bass on that song. My guess is Christine gave Lindsey the basic piano track and he went away and added all the various overdubs on his own. As far as the second one, I'm not too sure...possibly Sleeping Around the Corner- is that just an alternate version of the original song?

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 07-09-2017, 05:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I recall several interviews that indicated Mick and John appear on 8 of the 10 tracks on Buckingham/McVie. I cant quite tell which are the two they aren't on. I'd guess at Game of Pretend- I cant detect any bass on that song. My guess is Christine gave Lindsey the basic piano track and he went away and added all the various overdubs on his own. As far as the second one, I'm not too sure...possibly Sleeping Around the Corner- is that just an alternate version of the original song?
my guess would be Love Is Here To Stay (i think that song may have been added last? althogh we see LB noodling it sitting at the Village studio, so who knows?).
the other one i'd agree with you is probably SATC, unless the bridge was recorded in the studio with everyone.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie Nicks is still a member of the band. She asked for time off to tour for 24 Karat Gold, which upon release, she immediately went on the road with Fleetwood Mac. She has not left the band and thus despite being 4 of 5 members, they legally probably cannot issue as Fleetwood Mac. Say You Will was different because Christine officially left the band and was no longer a member of Fleetwood Mac.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The should have given Stevie an ultimatum that's
she's either in or out - her choice. With that decision
then have being made, they should have chosen to
release the album as FLEETWOOD MAC.

If Stevie chose to leave they could have then used the
publicity to their advantage when releasing the album.
The more Stevie complained the more free publicity.

Since they all decided to play it safe and make sure
there was at least one more big pay day, I think they
should have chosen McVie Buckingham as the
name on the album.

BM suggest something metamucil can cure.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's not like John's basslines were always on the final mix ("Second Hand News" comes to mind), and Mick wasn't on every song, either.

Again, what would it have been called if Stevie had given them a couple of songs at the last minute?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 07-09-2017, 07:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like that it isn't called Fleetwood Mac. There aren't the same expectations for the record. For instance, while Mick and John are presumably on almost every track (I wonder about the opener) Christine plays on only five of them.

(As the disc notes reveal, LB's five tunes were recorded and produced before her involvement. Whether she's singing on them is up for speculation but I doubt it. Or, if she is, it's a complete waste of her talents and vocal color not to feature her prominently in the mix. Still, I am betting it's that she isn't on them at all. Would she and Stevie have been prominent on them if this were a Mac record with Stevie's involvement? Hard to say. I do know that Stevie's vocals were overdubbed at the last minute on LB's SYW songs. And there you can hear her. Why couldn't that have been done here is a complete and frustrating mystery. Didn't LB say he wrote songs in keys Stevie could sing in? If he could consider her, why not incorporate Christine into the mix?)

To my way of thinking only the tracks that feature Christine singing are true Mac tracks insofar as all of the four are on them (maybe John is absent for GOP) and the collaborative vibe is very much there. My hope is that someday before they have all keeled over, the five of them will work collaboratively once again. I'm not holding my breath.

For now, I'm just glad to have this great little record. I love all of the songs on it except the first one. And John and Mick's playing is incredible!

Last edited by aleuzzi; 07-09-2017 at 07:40 PM..
Old 07-09-2017, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This Is A Fleetwood Mac Album!
Old 07-09-2017, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Christine

what i think this album / tour also does is putting Christine's name more upfront as an actual pop songwriting queen that she always was, but was never really acknowledged as such since she didn't have to play up her femininity or girl-in-boys-world to get respected among her peers. i keep stumbling on new Haim music related tidbits all over social media, and people saying Haim draw heavily from Tango SN - what? is there even a Tango SN? she barely existed. but there was another incredibly strong female pop presence on Tango - and what they probably really mean when they refer to Tango and FM sound and influence is not SN (but she may be the only FM name people know), it's really Christine. and that's starting to come out more now, with her name being put out with this BuckVie project.

Old 07-10-2017, 03:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
what i think this album / tour also does is putting Christine's name more upfront as an actual pop songwriting queen that she always was, but was never really acknowledged as such since she didn't have to play up her femininity or girl-in-boys-world to get respected among her peers. i keep stumbling on new Haim music related tidbits all over social media, and people saying Haim draw heavily from Tango SN - what? is there even a Tango SN? she barely existed. but there was another incredibly strong female pop presence on Tango - and what they probably really mean when they refer to Tango and FM sound and influence is not SN (but she may be the only FM name people know), it's really Christine. and that's starting to come out more now, with her name being put out with this BuckVie project.

lol seriously though. at this point i wouldn't be too shocked if there are people who think stevie nicks is the one to thank for go your own way.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
lol seriously though. at this point i wouldn't be too shocked if there are people who think stevie nicks is the one to thank for go your own way.
She's our savior. To some Stevie fans, FM is Stevie Nicks and ONLY Stevie Nicks. That's sad.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
this actually puts their 2 names out there more than they've ever been ... SN was the only known FM name, and now people are starting to know CM and LB as also names within FM.
VERY good point. Over the years I have heard DJs announce a couple of times: "That was Stevie Nicks and Fleetwood Mac" when they played SYLM (or some other Christine song). Man, is that annoying! But you're right, the general music-listening public know Stevie's name because of her very successful solo career, whereas Lindsey's & Christine's names are less well known.

The other good reason for using the Buckingham McVie name instead of Fleetwood Mac is this avoids the inevitable problem with angry fans shouting for Stevie at the live shows. With this name, people know they're not going to be seeing Stevie. It also gives them permission to play more new songs than old, and this duo is clearly interested in carving out new pop territory, rather than staying in the familiar Fleetwood Mac comfort zone.