Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-21-2002, 08:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Rhiannon.......

Rhiannon like Stevie has matured....she needs to be treated with a little more respect nowadays..... there is a little more serenity.....that comes with age......Not to mention respect for Stevie's vocal chords........had she continued singing Rhiannon as she did screaming her heart out... Stevie would not be singing now. Be thankful that we still have Stevie AND Rhiannon......in tact

Old 04-22-2002, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I really like what everyone had to say. There are just a coupla things I'd to thrown back in to the discussion.

Stevie's use of her instrument (her voice) has GREATLY improved since the early Rhiannon days. I don't think her ability to hit the notes is really in question, as she sings the same notes in songs like "Edge of Seventeen" and "Fall From Grace".

I think if she's gonna drop the climax from the song, she should simply do it as a recitative leading into something else. The piano intro is GORGEOUS and there are so many songs based on the Rhiannon chords/concept that I'm sure she could come up with a fresh perspective on the song.

I'm a performer myself, and I know how it is to get burnout on certain songs after performing them hundreds of times. And I really think that burnout is the case when it comes to Rhiannon. I KNOW it is- especially after seeing the energy and fire she threw into "Fall From Grace".

Stevie has said in various interviews that she can't drop any of the "classics" because her audience expects to hear them. That's a shame because she is such a vital, prodigeous artist. I don't think she needs to rely on being a "greatest hits" artist at all.

It's like Joni Mitchell once said "Musicians are the only artists out there that are required to reproduce their work for eternity. No one out there ever said to Van Gogh, 'Hey man, could you paint 'A Starry Night' for me?'"

While I'm sure that Stevie loves "Rhiannon", "Dreams" and "Stand Back"- I think both FM and her solo shows would be better serviced by playing some fresher material live. There are sooooo many great songs that have never even made it to the stage, as well as selections that they haven't played for years.

I really hope the band takes a fresh approach considering this will be the first time FM will be playing live based on Buckingham/Nicks. "Sisters of the Moon" in particular comes to mind as a song that would work perfectly.
Old 04-22-2002, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Yes!

I think this tour will give Fleetwood Mac the "OK" to dig into their catalog of songs. I know Lindsey wanted to do some songs on the Dance tour that were not as "well known" I think besides the new stuff that will be added. Blue Letter, Sisters of the Moon,Frozen Love, Accoustic Gypsy,Seven Wonders,Beauty and the Beast,Trouble should all be added. I think the solo songs will be added as they did with the Dance shows.
Old 04-22-2002, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

That brings another thing to mind-

While Stevie's solo songs have made it into FM live shows, others have been ignored.

Wouldn't it be killer to hear something like "Countdown" (which, in my opinion, is a TOTAL Mac song) performed with Stevie's voice layered into the backgrounds.

Lindsey's solo stuff has be ignored for way too long. Same with Buckingham Nicks.

"Crying in the Night" would KICK ASS!!!
Old 04-22-2002, 03:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi everyone. I'm gonna try and respond to a few things from this thread. For one, the Rhiannon on the Live album is no way from the Tusk tour. I would tend to agree with the other poster that it was from early in the Rumours tour. In addition to the other songs that someone mentioned were not from the Tusk tour on that album, I don't think anyone mentioned "Don't Let Me Down Again." This was from '76 at the latest. I don't *think* they played that song after '76, until the '87 tour.

As for Rhiannon, well, I don't know. It will NEVER be retired from a Stevie/Mac setlist. I've heard a couple of versions from the '98 and '01 tours, and well, I don't care for them too much. But, I never liked the way it sounded in any of the versions I've heard from Stevie's solo concerts... *Ducking for cover* I agree that it sounded like it was going to maybe have some of it's old-style during the Dance, but then it just fizzled. I also agree with the comment that Lindsey's solo at the end was AWFUL. The whole ending was just so bland, with the "all the same"'s and the mediocre guitar solo. On another note, am I the only one who really likes the Mirage Tour Rhiannon's? When I first heard the video version, I thought it sounded just awful. But the more I listen to it, the more I liked it. Now, it's one of my favorite versions! I just love the "I don't change, you don't change" parts.

As for the FM tour, I would really like to hear (I guess in this order):

Rhiannon, The Chain, Dreams, Oh Well, Eyes of the World, Gold Dust Woman, I'm So Afraid, Frozen Love, Countdown, Don't Let Me Down Again, Never Going Back Again, Landslide, World Turning, Gypsy, Angel, What Makes You Think You're the One, The Ledge, Seven Wonders, Big Love, Second Hand News, Stand Back, Hold Me (Lindsey could pull it off on his own, I think), Silver Springs, Go Your Own Way, Blue Letter, Sisters of the Moon, Don't Stop.

I know I'm missing some that I want, but I can't think of them right now. That, coupled with the fact that I already have 27 songs, plus I would imagine 4-5 new songs. That's enough!
Old 04-23-2002, 12:09 AM
Ledgie

Now that I am listening to the Live album, I totally notice the songs that weren't from the TUSK tour...man sure took me a long time to figure that one out!!! Where did my brain go?

Anyways I have to agree about the Dance version of Rhiannon. I wished that Lindsey would have done a bit more on the guitar solo at the end. I guess it wouldn't have gone with the flow of the song. But good ole Linds could have rocked out at the end. Of course, there wouldn't be the flying fro!

-April