User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I disagree with you Mirage bashers

Yes Mirage was reactionary from the public thrashing from Tusk. As Mick says...the band wanted to do something more "classic Fleetwood Mac."
It is a very musically safe album. But it holds up well. It went to #1 something Tusk never did. It was also important to hit #1 since Stevie's first solo album just went to #1 too. The criticism of the album was it was too soft rock. For the first time rock stations were not playing the new Fleetwood Mac album.

But here is why Mirage is a favorite of mine.

The album opens with Love in Store. Talk about classic Fleetwood Mac. The harmonies on Love in Store are probably the most profound of any Mac song ever. That's Alright is such a classic song that almost translates full country. Stevie's voice is so strong on it and I love that it was an old Buckingham Nicks era written song. Hold me is the ultimate pop song. So catchy and the lyrics melt together perfectly. I love the percussion part at the end. Amazing! Only Over you is such a classic McVie love song. So mystical and magic. Empire State is Lindsey still fighting to bring Tusk edgy songs along. Good song. Straight Back is probably the top 5 favorite Mac songs for me. Lyrics 10 Music 10 Vocals 10. I love Chris backing Stevie "like a wolf on the run." It still gives me goose bumps! Eyes of the world finally we get to hear some guitar on Mirage. Too bad it was so short though. Gypsy is probably the most classic Mac song ever. The band is really at its best especially Lindsey on guitar. Oh Diane is catchy and a safe Lindsey song. I love how the album closes with Wish you were here. I don't think the song is written by Christine but you know how much she loved the song to play it. Ahhhh what classic piano at the beginning!

I love the album cover and think Stevie and Chris were at their peak beauty. The Mirage tour was short but I think their set list was the best ever. The band sounded amazing and it truly was an end of an era!

LOVE LOVE LOVE me some Mirage!
Old 10-28-2014, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post

The Mirage tour was short but I think their set list was the best ever. The band sounded amazing and it truly was an end of an era!

The first time I attended a Fleetwood Mac show was on the Mirage tour. I'll never forget it, because the show was so overwhelmingly fantastic. Great set list, with lots of raw energy and excitement. I'm so glad I got the chance to see them in their purest form. It was the end of that era.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
The first time I attended a Fleetwood Mac show was on the Mirage tour. I'll never forget it, because the show was so overwhelmingly fantastic. Great set list, with lots of raw energy and excitement. I'm so glad I got the chance to see them in their purest form. It was the end of that era.
Lucky you. The Mirage tour was great for many reasons. But there was so much tension too. I think that tension led to great performances. To only agree to 18 shows. Stevie's best friend passed away during the tour. No doubt there was jealousy toward Stevie (mostly from Lindsey) about Bella Donna success. Christine had her own record scheduled. Stevie was already working on Wild Heart. But with all that drama I think Stevie's voice and performance was at it's peak (thus speaking in tongues during Sisters of the Moon).
This also was probably the last tour where drugs were not making a huge impact on Stevie's live performances. Her voice was a bit fried during some songs in some cities but for the most part her voice was strong its just that she was weak emotionally because of Robin. But that vulnerability in her performances made them more special IMHO.
I saw Stevie on Wild Heart and drugs were definitely starting to affect her live performances. It did not help that Joe Walsh was touring with her to feed that frenzy. Joe was later quoted that if they did not break up they would have both died of an overdose.
So while everyone was still high during Mirage (Chris says she stopped after Mirage and when she did her own album) it was not affecting the live performances.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 10-28-2014 at 06:37 PM..
Old 10-28-2014, 08:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Lucky you. The Mirage tour was great for many reasons. But there was so much tension too. I think that tension led to great performances. To only agree to 18 shows. Stevie's best friend passed away during the tour. No doubt there was jealousy toward Stevie (mostly from Lindsey) about Bella Donna success. Christine had her own record scheduled. Stevie was already working on Wild Heart. But with all that drama I think Stevie's voice and performance was at it's peak (thus speaking in tongues during Sisters of the Moon).
This also was probably the last tour where drugs were not making a huge impact on Stevie's live performances. Her voice was a bit fried during some songs in some cities but for the most part her voice was strong its just that she was weak emotionally because of Robin. But that vulnerability in her performances made them more special IMHO.
I saw Stevie on Wild Heart and drugs were definitely starting to affect her live performances. It did not help that Joe Walsh was touring with her to feed that frenzy. Joe was later quoted that if they did not break up they would have both died of an overdose.
So while everyone was still high during Mirage (Chris says she stopped after Mirage and when she did her own album) it was not affecting the live performances.

Christine said in an interview that she quit in 1984. I always wonder if she completely quit doing cocaine cold turkey or if she kept doing it just sporadically while doing her own thing with her solo album and tour. I mean it was still the early-mid 1980s everyone else around her was still doing it. Surely she partook occasionally after she "quit."
Old 06-02-2018, 09:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Only Over You.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieandChris View Post
I love Only Over You.
Are you oooooooout of your miiiiiiiiiind????

jk, jk

Old 06-03-2018, 02:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brown View Post

jk, jk
It took me YEARS to appreciate it. Along with Mystified. And I've not like Warm Ways since about 9th grade...

However, I love Sugar Daddy more than baby jebus.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brown View Post

jk, jk
People think I'm crazy. But they don't know.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

The album opens with Love in Store. Talk about classic Fleetwood Mac. The harmonies on Love in Store are probably the most profound of any Mac song ever. That's Alright is such a classic song that almost translates full country. Stevie's voice is so strong on it and I love that it was an old Buckingham Nicks era written song. Hold me is the ultimate pop song. So catchy and the lyrics melt together perfectly. I love the percussion part at the end. Amazing! Only Over you is such a classic McVie love song. So mystical and magic. Empire State is Lindsey still fighting to bring Tusk edgy songs along. Good song. Straight Back is probably the top 5 favorite Mac songs for me. Lyrics 10 Music 10 Vocals 10. I love Chris backing Stevie "like a wolf on the run." It still gives me goose bumps! Eyes of the world finally we get to hear some guitar on Mirage. Too bad it was so short though. Gypsy is probably the most classic Mac song ever. The band is really at its best especially Lindsey on guitar. Oh Diane is catchy and a safe Lindsey song. I love how the album closes with Wish you were here. I don't think the song is written by Christine but you know how much she loved the song to play it. Ahhhh what classic piano at the beginning!

I love the album cover and think Stevie and Chris were at their peak beauty. The Mirage tour was short but I think their set list was the best ever. The band sounded amazing and it truly was an end of an era!

I couldn't agree with you more. I remember how excited I was for the release of Mirage. It seemed like those three years between albums was forever. I had Belladonna and Law & Order to hold me over but was really missing the fab 5. I can't wait for 2015!
Old 10-29-2014, 02:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
I couldn't agree with you more. I remember how excited I was for the release of Mirage. It seemed like those three years between albums was forever. I had Belladonna and Law & Order to hold me over but was really missing the fab 5. I can't wait for 2015!
I will never forget when Hold Me was released. Hearing that opening piano riff on the radio... When I first knew what it was, I would scream at my friends, "TURN THE RADIO UP!!!!!!!". Oh for a time machine...

DAMN THEM for not learning it for OWTS.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I will never forget when Hold Me was released. Hearing that opening piano riff on the radio... When I first knew what it was, I would scream at my friends, "TURN THE RADIO UP!!!!!!!". Oh for a time machine...

DAMN THEM for not learning it for OWTS.

Let's not forget the Hold Me video! MTV played that video in a high rotation and Stevie Nicks looked amazing.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Yes Mirage was reactionary from the public thrashing from Tusk. As Mick says...the band wanted to do something more "classic Fleetwood Mac."
It is a very musically safe album. But it holds up well. It went to #1 something Tusk never did. It was also important to hit #1 since Stevie's first solo album just went to #1 too. The criticism of the album was it was too soft rock. For the first time rock stations were not playing the new Fleetwood Mac album.

But here is why Mirage is a favorite of mine.

Christine did write the music for Wish You Were Here. Words written by someone else. I forget his name. Collin Allen?

I love the album....well, a little more than HALF the album, which is still much better than most bands.

Gyspy, Hold Me, Love In Store, Only Over You, Wish You Were Here, Straight Back, Eyes of the World, and Book of Love.

I wish Goodbye Angel had been included, as well as Teen Beat. I really do not like Empire State or Oh Diane. Can't Go Back sounds like an LB solo song. And That's Alright, though a great song, sounds much better in its demo form from the mid-70s.