User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-24-2003, 10:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Harmony is not easy, granted. My point is that it is easier to start singing in key when someone else is already singing. Notice how he adjusted his voice after the first few words. He heard himself and made a correction. Very common. Good thing he heard himself, otherwise the performance might have really sucked. And I've seen that happen.
touche

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 04-24-2003, 10:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by rianbay1
That's IT!!!! You know what dissention, you can knock it off. Blaming Stevie EVERY FRIGGIN" time you're not happy with a peformance, now matter what it is, who takes lead vocal, who wrote the song...if you don't like it, it's Stevie's fault!!!! You are going past the point of constructive criticism and are just out and out SLAMMING Stevie now. She is OBVIOUSLY someone who you don't care for (and if you do, you sure wouldn't know it). Keep in mind that some of us on here do like Stevie and i for one don't appreciate the comments (Like the one "Is Stevie carrying Sheryl Crow's love child?") What a bunch of Bulls@!t. Stevie looked fine and if anything I think she may have dropped a little more weight. Plus, the weight issue is getting old...she has basically looked the same since I saw her in tampa on July 4. 1996. That's going on 7 years ago.

And, YOU'RE wrong!!!! Stevie WAS vocally better than Lindsey and I didn't think Lindsey sounded bad by any means. I just thought he could have tried to harmonize with her a little better on the choruses instead of singing such an upfront lead vocal.

BRIAN
Um, I was joking wth Sharon about what co-workers would say about the show last night; I wasn't being serious. I don't blame Steve at all everytime I do't like a performance. What I've been saying for awhile now is that LATELY she's become boring. She lost oomph in her performances. I thought she was better than LB on the Today show, so stop making assmptions and attacking me for my opinions. You may have thought she was good, I didn't. Those are only opinions, not facts. I prefer Stevie to Lindsey, but she hasn't good live lately. THAT'S what I've been saying. You need to realize when people are joking with others.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
Regardless of whether or not it was her song and she was only harmonizing, her harmony SUCKED. She was off-key, lazy, and bored.
I agree with you about the lack of passion - that sucked all around.

However, I studied voice for over ten years and have sung everything opera (albeit poorly ) to full out rock and roll. Although I can sing lead well, harmony was always my real deal. Although it is hard to tell with her type of voice, I did not hear Stevie go off key once. Perhaps you have a specific example? No slam meant, I am just curious as to what parts you think she was off key because I did not hear it.

Old 04-24-2003, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

No slam taken! I thought she was off-key particularly during the chorus and the line "You know all of our friends are gods." At least to these ears. I taped it, I'll watch it again later and see if I can spot anymore times. I hope she does well on Say You Will tomorrow; it was great on the Today show.

PS: I hear ya about harmony being the real deal; I love singing harmony! I get nervous singing lead! LOL
Old 04-24-2003, 10:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No slam taken! I thought she was off-key particularly during the chorus and the line "You know all of our friends are gods." At least to these ears. I taped it, I'll watch it again later and see if I can spot anymore times. I hope she does well on Say You Will tomorrow; it was great on the Today show.

PS: I hear ya about harmony being the real deal; I love singing harmony! I get nervous singing lead! LOL
I'll have to go back and listen as well. You know the funny thing about Stevie's voice (which is an odd but good instrument) is she seemingly is all over the place sometimes, esp. when she harmonizes with herself like in Smile at You (Don't ask me Why . . . ." In fact, for the Steet Angel tour, I thought I distinctly heard pre-recorded harmony with her voice on the Letterman show. Oh La Nicks!!!!

Old 04-24-2003, 10:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Unhappy

Geez, I taped it last night as I had to go to bed, but now I'm almost afraid to watch the tape tonight! Were they really that bad?

Lee
Old 04-24-2003, 10:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
I'll have to go back and listen as well. You know the funny thing about Stevie's voice (which is an odd but good instrument) is she seemingly is all over the place sometimes, esp. when she harmonizes with herself like in Smile at You (Don't ask me Why . . . ." In fact, for the Steet Angel tour, I thought I distinctly heard pre-recorded harmony with her voice on the Letterman show. Oh La Nicks!!!!
She does all kinds of funky things with her voice. I thik it deends on what mod she's in on a particular night. One minute she can sound like on The Dance, then sound like she was on the TISL tour. Stevie, Stevie, Stevie! LOL You're absolutely right.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Speeding it up a few beats wouldn't hurt either.
Hell yea!! I just listened to the original LB-only version of Peacekeeper, and it sounds like it's been put on fast-forward!! I didn't realise how MUCH they slowed it down for the album. They should have kept it at its original pace...it would have been SOOO much better...especially for live performances....would've rocked out so much more!

Old 04-24-2003, 11:26 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by rianbay1
That's IT!!!! You know what dissention, you can knock it off. Blaming Stevie EVERY FRIGGIN" time you're not happy with a peformance, now matter what it is, who takes lead vocal, who wrote the song...
uhm...are you related to stevie?

just curious
Old 04-24-2003, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but the Leno sucked so bad that it was hard to stay awake for the Mac! Bill Mahr is so over the top with everything and is just so pleased with himself. Ugh.

As for the Mac - I thought it was a better performance than the Today show. However, both the song on Leno and the Today show started off rough. LB can't seem to get the right notes out to start the song. Just like on GYOW. By the end of the song, he seemed to be on track.

Lindsey looked good. He played well. He just didn't sing as well as he could have. It looks like he is really enjoying it - I loved the smile at the end of the song.

Stevie seemed subdued. I think both she and LB were nervous last night and on the Today show. It kinda shows, IMO. Her vocals were ok, but not as good as the Today show. What I did not like was her ugly cardigan with the white buttons. It looks like something my grandmother wears! Her hair was kinda funky too. I just like it nice and straight.

Here's to hoping tonight's performance is better.

Well, someday when we're older
And my hair is silver gray
Unbraid with all of the love that you have
Like a soft, silver chain . . .
Old 04-24-2003, 11:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad4stevie
Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but the Leno sucked so bad that it was hard to stay awake for the Mac! Bill Mahr is so over the top with everything and is just so pleased with himself. Ugh.
He sure is smug, but I love his show and he's right 99.9% of the time! LOL I think losing Politically Incorrect was the best thing for him; now he's uncensored on HBO!
Old 04-24-2003, 11:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He sure is smug, but I love his show and he's right 99.9% of the time! LOL I think losing Politically Incorrect was the best thing for him; now he's uncensored on HBO!
For me, if the attitude is over the top, I just stop listening to the message! He is just way too full of self-importance for my liking. Its like I get distracted by what an ass he is making of himself and then I could care less about what is coming out of his mouth!

Well, someday when we're older
And my hair is silver gray
Unbraid with all of the love that you have
Like a soft, silver chain . . .
Old 04-24-2003, 12:29 PM

Bill Mahr is one of the few courageous high-profile people left in this country. He, Bruce and Susan Sarandon should do a road show.
Old 04-24-2003, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Bill Mahr is one of the few courageous high-profile people left in this country. He, Bruce and Susan Sarandon should do a road show.
AMEN to that!!!
Old 04-24-2003, 12:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree, I really like Mr. Maher's point of view, but I could leave the smugness aside. Interestingly, I feel the same way about Bill O'Reilly, in that they both call a spade a sapde in my opinion. Actually, I find their points of view are not that wildly different in the end or at least not as different as you would think - but that is just me. But, then again, I think liking them both qualifies me for a nice visit to that rather sterile place with the funny jacket that makes me hug my schizophrenic selfs