User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
The reason I'm not excited is because Mick has just said he's recorded 8 of Lindsey's songs. That says that Lindsey is practically ready with another solo album. It doesn't say anything about Fleetwood Mac.
Mick's & John's involvement, coupled with Mick's previous EP comments, and LB's "no new album- yet" tease, and Stevie's own remarks about the world deserving one more FM album and trying to figure out a way to get it produced quickly insinuates Fleetwood Mac album.

Quote:
We still have to get songs from her and need to do it in a way that differs from SYW. I liked SYW, but she didn't. So, unless she is sitting down with Lindsey and they have the feeling that they are building something together from the ground up, we aren't going to get anything but hard feelings. She also doesn't want to sing on top of songs of his that he's already perfected and polished like little Russian boxes.
She didn't like SYW or she didn't like how long it took and had a bad taste in her mouth over some other argument they never specified publicly?

Doesn't she always sing on top of his songs and vice versa? I'm not sure how their m.o. has changed much over the years. She's still basically leaving the cassette by the coffee pot and he's telling her to sing a little harmony here, do a little ooh-ahh there....

Quote:
She might record something new, in honor of her mother. Lindsey can convince her that he wants to be part of a song suited for that purpose. So, I can see them recording one together. But I'm afraid it might be a sentimental song that I'm not interested in hearing.

Michele
Not even the voyeur in you?

Maybe they could meld their songs about her mother together in the first-ever Buckingham-Nicks (or Nicks-Buckingham) co-write.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Maybe they could meld their songs about her mother together in the first-ever Buckingham-Nicks (or Nicks-Buckingham) co-write.
No..."Frozen Love" was a Buckingham-Nicks co-write.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
No..."Frozen Love" was a Buckingham-Nicks co-write.
Well, you know what I mean.... Stevie just "gave" that to him. I mean a REAL co-write. You know, like Lennon & McCartney...
Old 07-16-2012, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Mick's & John's involvement, coupled with Mick's previous EP comments, and LB's "no new album- yet" tease, and Stevie's own remarks about the world deserving one more FM album and trying to figure out a way to get it produced quickly insinuates Fleetwood Mac album.
That's a compression of things that have occurred over several years' time. I'm talking about what we have to look forward to right now. Rehearsals in January and a show in March does not insinuate another FM album any time soon. While I realize these dates are not certain, it tells me of what FM's tentative goals are time wise and those goals don't seem to bode well for an album.

As for why they didn't get along on SYW, whatever happened when she was in Hawaii, I'm quite sure she didn't like the way her songs sounded either, on top of everything else.

There's a difference between Stevie singing on top of Lindsey's songs and giving him old demos and both of them writing songs designed for FM or arranging the songs with those harmonies in mind. At least he designated a difference between those two things. Whether he thinks there really is or not, he seemed to think that pretending there's a difference and pledging to form the album more organically the next time around might make production easier for Stevie.

As for the voyeur in me, I think that can be satisfied by looking at the band onstage. Having them record songs that I find dull and maudlin would just be depressing, as was Temporary One and Sweet Girl for me. Although, I have put the lyrics to Temporary One to other uses that have meant something special. I'd rather FM had not recorded and performed those songs though.

Michele
Old 07-16-2012, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Since Stevie is of the opinion that records don't sell anymore and that fans don't really want to hear new songs on tour, I would think a new record is a pipe dream.

She also gets very impatient with Lindsey's pace in the studio. I think she wants to hit the road and get the money. A new record isn't going to sell more tickets when the majority of people in the seats want to hear Rumours.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, you know what I mean.... Stevie just "gave" that to him. I mean a REAL co-write. You know, like Lennon & McCartney...
Lindsey wrote the music, Stevie the lyrics...I wouldn't really say "she GAVE that to him" (at least not in the sense that she GAVE Fleetwood Mac the lyrics to "The Chain")

Before or after 1965? Wasn't much "co-writing" going on between John & Paul after the Help! album. They were just contractually obligated to credit their songs "Lennon/McCartney" until 1970. (that's why "Yesterday" & "Give Peace A Chance" are both Lennon/McCartney songs...when we KNOW that the other didn't have anything to do with the song).
Old 07-16-2012, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Lindsey wrote the music, Stevie the lyrics...I wouldn't really say "she GAVE that to him" (at least not in the sense that she GAVE Fleetwood Mac the lyrics to "The Chain")

Before or after 1965? Wasn't much "co-writing" going on between John & Paul after the Help! album. They were just contractually obligated to credit their songs "Lennon/McCartney" until 1970. (that's why "Yesterday" & "Give Peace A Chance" are both Lennon/McCartney songs...when we KNOW that the other didn't have anything to do with the song).
I'm just making fun of Stevie's co-writing comments & her recent epiphany with Dave Stewart, which she compared to Lennon & McCartney, and how she never wrote with Lindsey (something that has been disputed by various others who observed otherwise). Tongue in cheek.

Last edited by CADreaming; 07-16-2012 at 04:09 PM..
Old 07-16-2012, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
"You could have a wild wedding on the roof, then we'll take you downstairs and you can be here 'til 2 or 3 in the morning with a band playing and no sound problems," he continues. "This is Mick's hang where you're in. And you could have a studio here."
Some may laugh, but this sounds pretty freaking cool to me. All I need is a guy who's as into the Mac as I am.... any takers?

Quote:
The phenomenal formative days of Fleetwood Mac are captured in a new tribute album "Just Tell Me That You Want Me," which will be released by Starbucks on Aug. 14.
I had missed that this was going to be a Starbucks release. It still blows my mind that Starbucks is in the CD business, even though it has been for years now.

Quote:
Although they will embark on a major trek without promoting a new album, some of the members have recently collaborated on new Mac music.

"Lindsey, myself and John (McVie) are hoping Stevie will enjoy at least doing an EP," he says. "Lindsey and I have put some great music together. I went to LA for six weeks and we cut eight tracks as a calling card that we really want to do something. I think some of that should see the light of day. It's really good and fresh and young. And if everyone's happy, maybe that will be the beginnings of an album.
Oh, good! OK, Stevie, get with the program!

Quote:
"It's a funny bunch. You can't push too hard. If you push too hard it just stops. But it's also very exhausting when you really need to know what's going on. It's not asking a lot to know what you're going to be doing for two years, so I can get a day job or whatever."
Leave it to Mick to be worried about getting a day job! I have to admit, despite his reputation for greediness, I love how open he is about his desire to keep the cash coming in. It's something many of us can relate to!

Quote:
Anyone interested in contacting Fleetwood's may email Jonathan Todd at jtodd@mickfleetwood.com.
Ah, so Mr. Todd is still around? When I posted here regularly a few years ago, there was much enmity between this man and the fan community. Has he recovered his reputation?

Old 07-16-2012, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
That's a compression of things that have occurred over several years' time. I'm talking about what we have to look forward to right now. Rehearsals in January and a show in March does not insinuate another FM album any time soon. While I realize these dates are not certain, it tells me of what FM's tentative goals are time wise and those goals don't seem to bode well for an album.
About 3 years really, but who's counting?

You're right - it seems it wouldn't bode well for a new album. But, it's like you pointed out - there's a lot of stuff that goes on behind the scenes we don't know about. Stevie may have spent those 6 weeks "underground" she referred to recently, in a studio throwing some vocals on a few tracks.

Quote:
As for why they didn't get along on SYW, whatever happened when she was in Hawaii, I'm quite sure she didn't like the way her songs sounded either, on top of everything else.
Maybe. But, I've never read or can't recall a comment she made that specified that. I've read fans assuming she didn't like the album because she said the tour was rough - and a lot of speculation about that too.

Quote:
There's a difference between Stevie singing on top of Lindsey's songs and giving him old demos and both of them writing songs designed for FM or arranging the songs with those harmonies in mind. At least he designated a difference between those two things. Whether he thinks there really is or not, he seemed to think that pretending there's a difference and pledging to form the album more organically the next time around might make production easier for Stevie.
I think they would blast out a masterpiece - or several - if they would work this way. But, when have they ever really? I think they have always sort of done it the same way. "Here's a song I wrote, what do you think?" And, then they get into song structure, tweaking, etc. Nothing much has changed - except for Stevie probably stands her ground more on what she doesn't want changed which just leads to heated sessions. The world won't end over it, but it's drama I think they both want to avoid, although they may not be able to.

Quote:
As for the voyeur in me, I think that can be satisfied by looking at the band onstage. Having them record songs that I find dull and maudlin would just be depressing, as was Temporary One and Sweet Girl for me. Although, I have put the lyrics to Temporary One to other uses that have meant something special. I'd rather FM had not recorded and performed those songs though.
I hear ya. Just teasing. I liked both of those songs though. There's really not many of their songs I truly dislike.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM77 View Post
Since Stevie is of the opinion that records don't sell anymore and that fans don't really want to hear new songs on tour, I would think a new record is a pipe dream.

She also gets very impatient with Lindsey's pace in the studio. I think she wants to hit the road and get the money. A new record isn't going to sell more tickets when the majority of people in the seats want to hear Rumours.
I agree to some degree, and no one should be surprised because Stevie put it out there recently in an interview just prior to hitting the road again - "I can no longer ask people to buy records, because nobody buys records anymore" - sounding somewhat resigned and defeated that IYD didn't sell more than even she expected (which is ironic because when IYD was 1st released she claimed she didn't care what it sold). So even though IYD sales are probably at or near 200K (which is pretty decent these days for a solo female classic rock act in her 60's) This fact portends that FM would possibly sell @300K+ at this point, if you base it upon SYW selling @100K+ more than TISL 9 years ago. Those numbers probably don't excite Stevie or her managers/advisors to once again tread uncertain waters and green light a new recording endeavor.

But, while I agree the "majority" of people going to see FM next year will want to hear their greatest hits and "Rumours", there can be no denying that if FM recorded and released some new music, that would excite & motivate thousands of FM's hardcore fan base to attend and support yet another outing, just like IYD & SWS motivated & enlivened thousands more fans to attend Stevie's and Lindsey's latest tours in 11' & 12'. Whether or not they care about their base is debatable at this time. It's more about Lindsey vs Stevie's opinion & attitude towards new music at this point. I wonder if Stevie would be on board if the rest of FM agreed to have Dave Stewart produce these new sessions, like she was over a year ago. Somehow, I think her attitude has changed. Who knows...
Old 07-16-2012, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
Lindsey solo stuff (hopefully) with Mick on drums would be fantastic. Mick on 8 songs that have a bit of oomph and another 2-3 with Lindsey doing his solo guitar and voice thing and we've got an album there!

Never mind wasting time on the Mac tour, Lindsey, just release that album and tour behind it!
THIS!!

i understand Lindsey et al want to work together as a team, and there's all that love with Stevie that he wants to build upon, and it might be interesting if they do something together... but if she's not feeling it, then PLEASE don't wait around and just get out your new stuff whenever you have it done Lindsey!!!!!

considering all he released starting with UTS, i'm really hoping Lindsey has a newly found appreciation for time and won't sit around waiting for years for all the Mac-related politics to get sorted out. for album sales it doesn't matter anyway whether it's solo or FM... practically nobody makes their money on new releases anymore. and either solo or Mac, he/they should just release it on Mind Kit and not waste time shopping it around either.

although i don't really care whether FM puts out another album or not as long as Lindsey keeps churning out his new stuff (plus some of those maginificent older songs still waiting to be released, like all that Village Recorder stuff!), i'm so happy to learn or experience all the stuff Lindsey has been doing simultaneously these days - various tour types, releasing new and live music, writing songs and recording more new music at the same time - great time to be a LB fan!!
Old 07-16-2012, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I mean a REAL co-write. You know, like Lennon & McCartney...
yeah, we know how real those co-writes were!
Old 07-16-2012, 05:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
Some may laugh, but this sounds pretty freaking cool to me. All I need is a guy who's as into the Mac as I am.... any takers?
?
I volunteer, Nancy. Let's do that, get p'ssed, and party until deep into the next day, sleep out the hangover and divorce the day after that. With a small afterparty to celebrate that...

Old 07-16-2012, 07:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Sounds like a plan!

Old 07-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Maybe. But, I've never read or can't recall a comment she made that specified that.
I've seen her say she doesn't like the SYW album often.

Quote:
“It was five years ago now so I can say I didn’t like it at all; I didn’t like making it, I didn’t like the songs, so that tour was very hard for me.”
She didn't come out and say it until after the tour was over, which might suggest that she was just mad about the tour and that's what changed her mind about the album. After all, she did say they weren't speaking after the tour ended, but she sounded lackluster about the album even before the tour began. I tend to think she never liked it.

I will say that I don't think Stevie hated the whole SYW tour. I think she had a lot of fun on it at first and then they had some kind of fight at the end that soured her -- plus, it was just too long and they were weary. But I don't believe that the whole tour was miserable. I think she had more fun on the tour than in the studio.

Quote:
I hear ya. Just teasing. I liked both of those songs though. There's really not many of their songs I truly dislike.
As for a tribute song to her mom, maybe she'll surprise me. After all, if
EO17 was for her uncle (in part) maybe she might write something hip for her mother and not give us her version of Circle Dance instead, which is what I imagine and dread in my head. But I am rather pleased with Soldier's Angel, so maybe I should have a little trust. Heck, if they'd just polish Twisted up and do that live (along with, yes, a couple of BN songs), I'd probably quickly get over not having fresh material.

Michele