User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
So I have no problem with them ignoring pre-75 material.
For the most part...omitting "Oh Well" was a travesty, however. Even though I cringe at Lindsey's take on the song, it still should've been in the set...both in '97 & '03.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
I agree that Everywhere is better on the Dance than on Tango. That point alone makes it a good inclusion.

It was a reunion of this particular lineup after 10 years and also 20 years after Rumours......and they played all songs from that lineup and most of Rumours. Most other tours they've played other material....that wasn't the point of this reunion I don't think. So I have no problem with them ignoring pre-75 material.
I agree to a point, but it was noted at the time, 10 years since this lineup recorded together, 20 years since the landmark album Rumours, and also 30 years since the band's formation in 1967. While the reunion/cd/tour were really a celebration of the "Rumours lineup," it was also a celebration of Fleetwood Mac's history and should have at least included something from the "old days."

The 1997 and 2003-04 tours, if I'm not mistaken, were the only time that Fleetwood Mac toured since Stevie and Lindsey joined where there was no representation of anything before 1975.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
It is an incredibly boring verison of the song isn't it? Why couldn't they have one Oh Daddy on the DVD like they did on the tour that followed. And your right Over My Head was always really good live but that Dance version is one of the worst performances of a song Fleetwood Mac have ever done.
Maybe that's why they dropped it. They must have felt the same, but I really enjoyed it.

Michele
Old 06-17-2010, 09:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
I agree to a point, but it was noted at the time, 10 years since this lineup recorded together, 20 years since the landmark album Rumours, and also 30 years since the band's formation in 1967. While the reunion/cd/tour were really a celebration of the "Rumours lineup," it was also a celebration of Fleetwood Mac's history and should have at least included something from the "old days."

The 1997 and 2003-04 tours, if I'm not mistaken, were the only time that Fleetwood Mac toured since Stevie and Lindsey joined where there was no representation of anything before 1975.
I think you're right about there not being any songs in the set list (from those tours) from the era prior to 1975.

I think you're wrong in thinking that The Dance tour was supposed to be a celebration of the entire history of Fleetwood Mac. It was exclusively a celebration of the reunion of the Rumours line up.

But that does spark the idea: It would be amazing if they did a show or tour that featured guest appearences of previous members. Bob Welch would likely be game. Peter Green would take some convincing. Perhaps Jeremy Spencer. Would it even be possible to dig up Danny Kirwan? And to everyone's horror, Dave Walker can close the show with Road Runner!

Last edited by PenguinHead; 06-17-2010 at 09:24 PM..
Old 06-17-2010, 10:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
I think you're right about there not being any songs in the set list (from those tours) from the era prior to 1975.

I think you're wrong in thinking that The Dance tour was supposed to be a celebration of the entire history of Fleetwood Mac. It was exclusively a celebration of the reunion of the Rumours line up.

But that does spark the idea: It would be amazing if they did a show or tour that featured guest appearences of previous members. Bob Welch would likely be game. Peter Green would take some convincing. Perhaps Jeremy Spencer. Would it even be possible to dig up Danny Kirwan? And to everyone's horror, Dave Walker can close the show with Road Runner!
I agree, it essentially was a celebration/moneymaking opportunity for the most popular "Rumours" lineup. But Mick made a point in many interviews of noting that it was the 30th year since Peter started the band. Even the Behind the Music episode which was pretty much focused on 1975-79 ("After Tusk, Fleetwood Mac released five albums. Some did well, some did not." Wow Behind the Music guy, thanks for summarizing 15 years so quickly...) and 1997 talked about the Peter Green years a tiny bit. I always wondered who decided to drop Oh Well. Was it a consensus decision.."hey, there's that song, you know, Oh Well, it's been pretty much played at every single one of our concerts since, uh, I dunno, almost 30 years, maybe we rest it this round?" Stupid little nonsense things like this intrigue me I guess.

Your last point is pretty much Mick's ultimate dream and I believe he's brought it up on more than one occasion. It would epic to see all of those people on one stage. I've tried and absolutely can't come up with the song they'd all get on stage at the end and play on...I mean, talk about conflicting styles....I'm getting a chuckle thinking of Peter on stage during Stand Back.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post

Your last point is pretty much Mick's ultimate dream and I believe he's brought it up on more than one occasion. It would epic to see all of those people on one stage. I've tried and absolutely can't come up with the song they'd all get on stage at the end and play on...I mean, talk about conflicting styles....I'm getting a chuckle thinking of Peter on stage during Stand Back.
Having everyone (10-plus players of very varied musical styles) play on every song wouldn't work. Each essential member would get a feature spot, with a particular configuration of musicians, playing their own signiture songs. Then, maybe a one big group number for the finale. I don't think Peter Green would ever be convinced to perform Stand Back, and why should he? (in fact that shouldn't even be in the set list).

The Dance was great for fans, for it brought the Rumours era band together again for one last time. To disparage it for making money is confusing to me. To my knowledge there are no non-profit bands that go out on tour to make no money! It is a business.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 06-17-2010 at 11:11 PM..
Old 06-18-2010, 09:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Having everyone (10-plus players of very varied musical styles) play on every song wouldn't work. Each essential member would get a feature spot, with a particular configuration of musicians, playing their own signiture songs. Then, maybe a one big group number for the finale. I don't think Peter Green would ever be convinced to perform Stand Back, and why should he? (in fact that shouldn't even be in the set list).

The Dance was great for fans, for it brought the Rumours era band together again for one last time. To disparage it for making money is confusing to me. To my knowledge there are no non-profit bands that go out on tour to make no money! It is a business.
I think we're getting mixed up a bit - I'm not disparaging The Dance at all. I loved that reunion and all the buzz that came out of it. I was in high school at the time, and oddly enough for a group of 50 year olds, Fleetwood Mac became cool once again. But if there was not a market for a Fleetwood Mac reunion at the time, it wouldn't have happened. It was a money-making dream for any promoter/band. Making money isn't a bad thing and I certainly didn't mean for it to come off that I resented that the five of them reunited for the purpose of making money. Going back to the original point, I still don't see why they dropped Oh Well simply because it was a Rumours-era reunion. The Rumours-era band played Oh Well in virtually every concert they played as Fleetwood Mac before 1997.

And I know that you wouldn't have every member on stage for every song. The Stand Back reference was simply for me to have a little laugh...I was not being serious. But still, what song would everyone play on for the grand finale - that was my original question. I can't come up with anything in the catalog...so maybe a cover?
Old 06-19-2010, 07:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love The Dance, but I wish they'd been a little more adventurous with the media output. So, the I really would have liked the live album to have had, say, Gold Dust Woman and Gypsy.

Equally, it would have been great if The Farmer's Daughter, Stand Back and Oh Daddy had made it onto the DVD. Unfortunately I don't think any of those songs were taped/performed at Burbank, were they?
Old 06-19-2010, 09:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
We've kicked this idea around for years. For me, I'll bet Lindsey is the holdout. I can't picture him wanting to share the stage, with so many other guitarist/vocalists.

For us REAL FM fans, it would be the ultimate treat to have Bob sing 4-5 songs, and Pete sing 4-5 songs(if he could be convinced), and Danny(I doubt he's able) and Jeremy also. I'll wager that Bob and Jeremy would be the only two up for the challenge, though. Really, I'll bet Bob would be the only one, and that would depend on Wendy's health(I've not heard anything about her health status, for a while now).
Old 06-19-2010, 09:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
Equally, it would have been great if The Farmer's Daughter, Stand Back and Oh Daddy had made it onto the DVD. Unfortunately I don't think any of those songs were taped/performed at Burbank, were they?
That is correct. Everything that was performed at Warner Brothers studios in Burbank made it onto the DVD. The songs you mention above were added to the set for the tour later in the fall only.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
Can anyone provide a definitive list of the songs that were rehearsed (but not, ultimately, performed live) for The Dance tv concert / tour, please?

I have heard some pretty odd rumours about what they played in rehearsal...
According to the book Fleetwood Mac: The completed Recording Sessions 1967-1997 by Peter Lewry, Fleetwood Mac rehearsed the follwing songs for the 'MTV-Unplugged' concert but did not make the cut:

Second Hand News
Where Were You
Little Lies
Twisted
Never Going Back Again
Brown Eyes
Forbidden
Shadows of Love

I've never heard of some of them.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmonta4 View Post
According to the book Fleetwood Mac: The completed Recording Sessions 1967-1997 by Peter Lewry, Fleetwood Mac rehearsed the follwing songs for the 'MTV-Unplugged' concert but did not make the cut:

Second Hand News
Where Were You
Little Lies
Twisted
Never Going Back Again
Brown Eyes
Forbidden
Shadows of Love

Thanks for this. As I said earlier, I think Easy Come, Easy Go was rehearsed (maybe under one of the titles here?). I thought Isn't it Midnight was rehearsed, too, but I think I'm wrong here.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmonta4 View Post

Second Hand News
Where Were You
Little Lies
Twisted
Never Going Back Again
Brown Eyes
Forbidden
Shadows of Love

I remember reading about Forbidden and Shadows of Love. They sound like typically titled SN songs, but could also be Lindsey's. I thought Shadows = Ooh My Love, but why they'd sing that piece of **** at a Mac show is beyond me.

Or it's a case of fans giving names to songs and Forbidden = Everybody Finds Out
Old 06-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Post change it up some??

The Dance was good...I was just happy to see the Rumours line-up cause the last time I saw them was Mask & no Lindsey since he'd left. So for that I did like the Dance. Of course at the time I drank it up but as I look back in hind sight.....I really really wished they'd mixed up the songs alot more. (But of course I say this about Stevie solo as well....)its a shame that 'they' put themselves in this rut where they can only perform certian songs. Yes, I know things are expected by the regular crowd but for us true crazy fans of them....I'd love to hear alot more stuff. They could every other night change up the setlist --if not for us what about for themselves.It must get really boring night after night singing the same song in the same order??? Is it really that hard to perform some of these songs?? I guess I'll not ever understand.....I just think its a shame and really sad. I mean no offence to anyone......but I guess its beyound the point of understanding it is what it is.......thats how it goes......I'd just think as a performer you'd want to sing all that you possibly could --but I guess 'they' did do what they wanted......so I guess I don't matter.....though I think I do being a fan.....but anyway.......IMO......
..."There is a legend passed down through the ages...down through the crystal visions...down through the crystal clear-water fountain...the charmed ones remain...They are mine (you remain...ooh)...."
Old 06-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshine View Post
The Dance was good...I was just happy to see the Rumours line-up cause the last time I saw them was Mask & no Lindsey since he'd left. So for that I did like the Dance. Of course at the time I drank it up but as I look back in hind sight.....I really really wished they'd mixed up the songs alot more. (But of course I say this about Stevie solo as well....)its a shame that 'they' put themselves in this rut where they can only perform certian songs. Yes, I know things are expected by the regular crowd but for us true crazy fans of them....I'd love to hear alot more stuff. They could every other night change up the setlist --if not for us what about for themselves.It must get really boring night after night singing the same song in the same order??? Is it really that hard to perform some of these songs?? I guess I'll not ever understand.....I just think its a shame and really sad. I mean no offence to anyone......but I guess its beyound the point of understanding it is what it is.......thats how it goes......I'd just think as a performer you'd want to sing all that you possibly could --but I guess 'they' did do what they wanted......so I guess I don't matter.....though I think I do being a fan.....but anyway.......IMO......
Sue, when you meet Stevie this summer please be sure to tell her this. Make sure you get her to understand and don't take no for an answer.