User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyawka View Post
David: Yes, relevance is determined by the young. Jealous?

Onto other things...

While Lady GaGa is probably easier to compare to Madonna than Stevie Nicks in terms of musical style and fashion, I think it's Lady GaGa's originality and creativity that's comparable to Stevie and to me that's more important in an artist. I love Madonna, don't get me wrong, but Madonna is a product to me, she's not an artist. Stevie is an artist we can all agree on that, yes. Lady GaGa is an artist, as well. She thoughtfully takes the time out to create her own show, her own outfits, and her own songs. Just as Stevie does.
Ok to say that Madonna is not an artist is kind of stupid. Like her or hate her she opened up the door for others such as GaGa. Back before you were born there was a channel on cable called "MTV", it showed nothing but music videos. The channel is still on most cable boxes, but it has very little if any music content. But back in the day, MTV was ALL music 24/7 and music videos made up 98% of it's programming (the other 2% was music news and concerts). You would go to the school and discuss with your friends various videos you saw. Madonna came along with a new image for each video and she did a video for every single released. She wrote or co-wrote her songs, she produced or co-produced her albums and she came up with her image as well.
I'm not a huge Madonna fan, but trying to explain her to people who only know her from what she's done in the past five or ten years is nearly impossible. I was 12 when Madonna came out with "Borderline" so I watched how she went from nothing to having every girl in school dress like her and every guy wanting the girls to dress like her. I watched as people actually debated as to who was better Madonna or Cyndi Lauper. Watched as she came out with "Like A Prayer" and pissed off A LOT of people. An issue of Rolling Stone with Madonna on the cover actually caused a major uproar at my high school when the issue was removed from the school library because of a photo of Madonna inside, which was seen as inappropriate for teen agers to look at. Lady GaGa is far more in line with Madonna than Stevie. Stevie has even said that she could have been Madonna, but had no interest in that. I have a feeling that GaGa would rather be Madonna than Stevie.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:13 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
That's why the biggest sellers in pop are not & have never been the underground bands, because those bands don't have the publicity that Britney & Madonna have, which stretches around the globe & bombards young listeners with nonstop sounds & images.
Lady GaGa began her career in the New York underground. Then she began writing pop songs about her life as an underground artist and made her claim to fame that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuncles View Post
I watched as people actually debated as to who was better Madonna or Cyndi Lauper.
I would definately have to pick Cyndi Lauper in that debate.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I would definately have to pick Cyndi Lauper in that debate.
But the more important question is, where does Duffy fit into all
of this?
Old 05-31-2009, 08:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Lady GaGa began her career in the New York underground. Then she began writing pop songs about her life as an underground artist and made her claim to fame that way.
A lot of wildly popular singers started small. That's not what I said. Let's not mince words. I said that an enormous promotional machine undergirds every hugely popular singer or band. To the extent that Stevie Nicks, or Lady GaGa, or the Fray, or anyone else is hugely popular, it's a function of marketing.

You tied relevance to popularity in the here & now, & I'm merely tying popularity in the here & now to publicity.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-31-2009, 10:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuncles View Post
Back before you were born there was a channel on cable called "MTV", it showed nothing but music videos. The channel is still on most cable boxes, but it has very little if any music content. But back in the day, MTV was ALL music 24/7 and music videos made up 98% of it's programming (the other 2% was music news and concerts). You would go to the school and discuss with your friends various videos you saw.
While I in no way agree with the whole Lady Gaga, Stevie Nicks comparison newyawka made...you are coming off as a little condescending. As someone in the age group of 18-25, I can say that not all of us are completely clueless as to what MTV used to be.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Are you off your nut!? Lady Gag the new Stevie!? Stevie's not dead, as she's expressed in many interviews. Lady Gag is totally creepy. All of her songs have some sort of perverted meaning behind them. Her songs are catchy, but shes NO Stevie.

Would it last forever? You and I together, hand in hand
we run away♥
Old 05-31-2009, 10:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetwoodtrick View Post
Are you off your nut!? Lady Gag the new Stevie!? Stevie's not dead, as she's expressed in many interviews. Lady Gag is totally creepy. All of her songs have some sort of perverted meaning behind them. Her songs are catchy, but shes NO Stevie.
Give me Lily Allen any day...
Old 05-31-2009, 10:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Give me Lily Allen any day...
Oh, ho, don't even get me started on her!

Would it last forever? You and I together, hand in hand
we run away♥
Old 05-31-2009, 10:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetwoodtrick View Post
Oh, ho, don't even get me started on her!
Lily Allen is a mess.

Now, what ever happened to Amy Winehouse? I'd say she seemed a bit more talented than Lady Gaga. Did she ever actually go to rehab? Is she still alive? I've wondered that for a few months but never bothered to research it. I really loved that song You Know I'm No Good.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 05-31-2009, 11:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Lily Allen is a mess.

Now, what ever happened to Amy Winehouse? I'd say she seemed a bit more talented than Lady Gaga. Did she ever actually go to rehab? Is she still alive? I've wondered that for a few months but never bothered to research it. I really loved that song You Know I'm No Good.
Actually of all the new acts out there today, pretty much the only two I like are Lily Allen and Amy Winehouse. Amy is very talented (pity about everything else though)
Old 06-01-2009, 03:03 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
But the more important question is, where does Duffy fit into all
of this?
Again, who the f--k is Duffy?

Old 06-01-2009, 03:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Nobody has yet adequately defined relevance. We're tossing that word around like a pizza dough.

Much like yourself throwing around the "Hanslick Syndrome" on other posts here and not defining it or showing its relevance to the topic being discussed?? Please!! You crack me up!!

Are you a psych major or do you look these words up in a thesarus just to make yourself sound important??
Old 06-01-2009, 03:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Again, who the f--k is Duffy?
Where have you been? The album is called Rockferry. Duffy is a poor second to Amy Winehouse...
Old 06-01-2009, 08:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by golddustdrummer View Post
While I in no way agree with the whole Lady Gaga, Stevie Nicks comparison newyawka made...you are coming off as a little condescending. As someone in the age group of 18-25, I can say that not all of us are completely clueless as to what MTV used to be.
Absolutely. The Lady Gaga/Stevie comparison is somewhat odd (but bearing in mind that all criticism of it is subjective then who are we to say?) but the fact that you tie it entirely to the age of the original poster and then use that fact, something that no-one can help, as a tool to patronise is really not on. Like the poster above, I am under 30 and far from clueless.

In my original reply I was also not saying that relevance is entirely dictated by someone's age. Instead I was trying to make the point that Perez Hilton is indicative of a wider "celebrity culture" that, like it or not, dominates so much of the tabloids, internet, music scene etc... That is what I meant by relevant -the fact that Lady Gaga fits much more with that cultural sensibility than Stevie does.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodfather View Post
..."celebrity culture" that, like it or not, dominates so much of the tabloids, internet, music scene etc...

eventual downfall of western civilization