User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-17-2006, 08:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
You are so far off the mark that you're probably wondering right about now just where dinner is.

That's what happens when a sociologist trips around in the deeper, richer, darker territory that is aesthetics. He gets lashed about in the thicket of art like a kitten with a tigress by the tail.
I've Got A Tigress By The Tail, it's plain to see;
I won't be much when you get thru' with me.
Well, I'm a losing weight and a turnin' mighty pale.
Looks like I've Got A Tigres By The Tail.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-17-2006, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
They all had their geeky "let's rock" faces on the whole time. It was patent & see-through, the sort of thing that drives hip rock critics like me & Greil Marcus to belly right up to the bar. It was shocking. The band was adult contemporary all of a sudden. It was at that point that I decided I may as well listen to Emanuel Feuermann. Fleetwood Mac was done flaying the skin off the Booboisie.

And then it began to occur to me: Fleetwood Mac is so silly & stupid, like Pop Rocks at a kid's birthday party at Farrell's, with the volcano surprise ice cream sundae being lit up & served to a worried youngster, who can't drive himself home because he's only 7, & his mom & dad are trying to punish him for being a year older than he was last year, so they hide the cards & checks he gets from his Aunts Sharon & Lois & finally give those to the poor, disillusioned kid three days after his birthday, after the pain has passed & has been replaced by a dull, thudding no-nonsense approach to life & the arts, whether it be a torn-up old Mary Poppins LP that's been through the ringer, yellowing with antiquity, & smelling of pasteboard & starched milk on the upper lips of pals at grade school, or of the latest hep-scat DVD from Criterion with so much crap in the way of commentary & extras on it that you can't even remember why you bought the damn thing in the first place.

Anyway, that's what Fleetwood Mac became to me.

Good Lord give me one of those vicoden.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
I've Got A Tigress By The Tail, it's plain to see;
I won't be much when you get thru' with me.
Well, I'm a losing weight and a turnin' mighty pale.
Looks like I've Got A Tigres By The Tail.

Thanks for that pic, Steve.
I've got a Fender Buck Owens Tele, red, white, and blue sparkle. I have a friend, who kinda knows Buck's secretary. I sent the pick guard to him, for an auto graph. He didn't think that would do, and had it engraved for me, along with his signature engraved:
To David Bxxxx
The Twang's The Thing
Buck Owens("signature" engraved)
July 30, 1999

His secretary told me about it, and I offered to pay for the engraving. She said Buck wouldn't hear of it. Now that's a class act, and how to treat your fans.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madformac
That is true. But, to be crude for a second, I thought Christine's album beat the **** out of SYW in terms of melody , feel and emotion. Man is she missed.
AMEN!

melody, feel and emotion...

Just what Chris is best at...
Old 03-17-2006, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
I've got a Fender Buck Owens Tele, red, white, and blue sparkle. I have a friend, who kinda knows Buck's secretary. I sent the pick guard to him, for an auto graph. He didn't think that would do, and had it engraved for me, along with his signature engraved:
To David Bxxxx
The Twang's The Thing
July 30, 1999

His secretary told me about it, and I offered to pay for the engraving. She said Buck wouldn't hear of it. Now that's a class act, and how to treat your fans.
Absolutely. Buck's always been one of my favorites. (BTW, I can't tell you how much I envy you for having the Buck Tele alone, far less having it engraved! SUPER cool! )

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-18-2006, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Absolutely. Buck's always been one of my favorites. (BTW, I can't tell you how much I envy you for having the Buck Tele alone, far less having it engraved! SUPER cool! )
i thought u were talking about Buck as LB haha!
Old 03-18-2006, 01:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr
i thought u were talking about Buck as LB haha!
Nerd!
Old 03-18-2006, 01:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'd sell it for an insane amount! I certainly hope to never have to. It's the guitar I'd most like to be buried with(damn, I forgot about that cremation thing I've requested). While burying it might seem stupid, burning it into ash seems really stupid. I hope to die a slow death, so I can take care of all this stuff.

I have a letter from his secretary, on his radio station's stationary(KUZZ- yeah I had to go look at the letter, to remember the call letters) framed, hanging in my music room. She explains how Buck's afraid that any ink might rub off, so would I "mind" if he had it engraved for me, instead.
I don't think so, Scooter! Engrave away!
Old 03-18-2006, 02:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

what's to compare?

a unique bold style vs. a tired mediocre style?
Old 03-18-2006, 02:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey style is quite tired and mediocre, and quite limiting for the band. I think he should hang it up.

Just pulling your chain, Buckhead.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
To David Bxxxx
The Twang's The Thing
July 30, 1999

Wow, that's a great story. What a classy thing for Mr. Owens to do.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr
I dont think Christine's songs fit into SYW. SYW is just a mess, and Christine's album is really really simple. I think if Christine was on SYW she may have written differently and more frantically than having 2 conservative years in England's country side. Add Dashut and Buckingham to the production and I think CM's songs on SYW would have been superb, cos the lady can still sing.
I agree. It took her a few years to make the album since she worked on it at her own pace.... whenever she felt like it. And, it was mostly just her & her nephew and a few other friends. I think that's why it has such a warm, intimate feel to it.

Last edited by macfan 57; 03-18-2006 at 12:13 PM..
Old 03-18-2006, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
I agree. It took her a few years to make the album since she worked on it at her own pace.... whenever she felt like it. And, it was mostly just her & her nephew and a few other friends. I think that's why it has such a warm, intimate feel to it.
exactly as much as i want her to be adventurous, that wasn't her concept or intent
Old 03-19-2006, 02:40 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
As much as I love Say You Will, I would agree it's a jumbled mess and it doesn't feel like a Fleetwood Mac album to me. Except for just a few tunes.
Tusk is just as much a ‘Jumbled mess’. “the Ledge” and “storms” on the same album? “Beautiful child” leading into “Walk a thin line”? Can hardly say it’s NOT a jumbled mess. Tusk also doesn’t feel like a Fleetwood Mac album (deliberately) but is still IS a Fleetwood Mac album, as is say you will. (Probably my two favourite Mac albums, Tusk and SYW)

Quote:
Say You Will is exactly what it was, two solo albums molded together with a common rhythm section, there's barely continuity and the missing third songwriter is conspicuous in her absence.
How do you work that out? Yes, Lindsey’s work was originally going to be a solo album but during the writing process when it was going to be a solo album Mick was already present just jamming around in the studio.

Stevie wrote her songs for Fleetwood Mac, not a solo album. Lindsey gave his imput towards them and came up with guitar parts. John did the same, working out Bass lines for both Lindsey and Stevie. Lindsey produced a large part of the album.

John and Mick both said themselves that SYW is the album they have been MOST present on out of any Fleetwood Mac album. How can it be anything but a Fleetwood Mac album? Every Mac album has been the moulding together of there songs the various writers have come up with. Conclusion, your just VERY biased. Why, I don’t know maybe you Miss Christine?

Quote:
But they sounded damn good on The Dance
They sure did. Just because the band went for the bigger epic sound rather than the rough raw sounds of the 70’s (both of which are great) doesn’t make them nostalgic. Put it into perspective. (The guys on hear that can slag of LB all day but don’t have a bad word to say about Rick, lets look at when he was in the band)

The set list for “Behind the Mask”

01. Say You Love Me
02. The Chain
03. Dreams
04. Rhiannon
05. Isn't It Midnight
06. Save Me
07. Stop Messin' Around
08. Another Woman
09. Landslide
10. World Turning
11. Gold Dust Woman
12. In The Back Of My Mind
12. Everywhere
13. Stand on the Rock
14. Little Lies
15. Stand Back
16. When The Sun Goes Down
17. You Make Loving Fun
18. Go Your own Way
19. Love Is Dangerous
20. Tear It Up
21. Don't Stop
22. Songbird

FOUR songs of “Behind the mask” where actually played. FOUR!!!!!! Some of the songs performed where wrote by a guy that was no longer in the band. That is Nostalgic. Now compared to the Dance (Which was a reunion tour, not a tour for an album) this tour also saw them play FOUR new songs, the difference being, Behind the mask was a tour for an album, the Dance was a reunion.

The songs but Big Love, Go insane, The chain, Silver Springs, say you love me, I’m so afraid and Everywhere where all tweaked (some more than others. In some cases though you could claim they where new songs) apposed to the “behind the mask” and “tango” tours “the Dance” was NOT nostalgic.

Rick Vito and Billy are the only two members of Fleetwood Mac that I don’t care for and they certainly should not of been in the band. This guy said ti in one.

Quote:
a unique bold style vs. a tired mediocre style?
Old 03-19-2006, 04:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question Question[/Dwight Schute]

What IS a Fleetwood Mac album? Is there a formul....wait...if they followed a formula, Lindsey would crap himself. Okay, so there is no formula. I love SYW and have all the songs (sans a couple) on my iTunes playlist. I love that each and every FM album is different...going all the way back to the beginning.