Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-23-2006, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Christine's absense

I thought this would be an interesting companion thread to the what if Stevie left one. I know alot of people here have their preferences as to which band members are their favorites and what not, but here's my take on the whole Christine not participating in SYW thing. I've always come at it from the angle that Fleetwood Mac is a great COLLECTION of talent, and to me they proved it even more so during the making of SYW and then the tour. Losing a valuable member such as Christine who had devoted almost 30 years of her life to Fleetwood Mac might have killed most bands. But for Mick, Lindsey, Stevie, and John to do what they did, at their ages, to me is much more a compliment to their talents and wanting Fleetwood Mac to continue than any kind of bad reflection on Christine. I was lucky enough to be able to see 35 SYW shows, and the most amazing thing to me that to this day I havent forgotten is how EVERY single night I never left a show thinking they didn't give their best effort. I was so proud that this band that I'd listened to for 30 years could still do it. Were they as good as they were in the 70's? Maybe not, but let's remember, they are all in their 50's now and in the case of John, 60. Would I have preferred Chris to be there on SYW? of course, but they moved on very well without her, a true testament to their talents.

Last edited by DavidMn; 01-23-2006 at 04:12 PM..
Old 01-23-2006, 04:11 PM
Senior Ledgie

I miss Christine on SYW, the album, I think it's a much darker album than any of the others, very few songs with happy messages in them (if _any_). But it is amazing that they can be so good having lost the third singer/songwriter, and in any situation, lots of Stevie/Lindsey can't be a _bad_ thing!!
Old 01-23-2006, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
I thought this would be an interesting companion thread to the what if Stevie left one. I know alot of people here have their preferences as to which band members are their favorites and what not, but here's my take on the whole Christine not participating in SYW thing. I've always come at it from the angle that Fleetwood Mac is a great COLLECTION of talent, and to me they proved it even more so during the making of SYW and then the tour. Losing a valuable member such as Christine who had devoted almost 30 years of her life to Fleetwood Mac might have killed most bands. But for Mick, Lindsey, Stevie, and John to do what they did, at their ages, to me is much more a compliment to their talents and wanting Fleetwood Mac to continue than any kind of bad reflection on Christine. I was lucky enough to be able to see 35 SYW shows, and the most amazing thing to me that to this day I havent forgotten is how EVERY single night I never left a show thinking they didn give their best effort. I was so proud that this band that I'd listened to for 30 years could still do it. Were they as good as they were in the 70's? Maybe not, but let's remember, they are all in their 50's now and in the case of John, 60. Would I have preferred Chris to be there on SYW? of course, but they moved on very well without her, a true testament to their talents.
I agree that Say You Will is, for the most part, a pretty great album, especially for a band that has been around for so many years, and who were recording without a key member for the first time in over three decades.

I'm sure you know well by now that I disagree with you somewhat on the tour. I don't doubt that they gave their best every night within the confines of the program they prescribed for themselves, but I think that program itself is more or less a disgrace, considering all of the things they so easily could do.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
I agree that Say You Will is, for the most part, a pretty great album, especially for a band that has been around for so many years, and who were recording without a key member for the first time in over three decades.

I'm sure you know well by now that I disagree with you somewhat on the tour. I don't doubt that they gave their best every night within the confines of the program they prescribed for themselves, but I think that program itself is more or less a disgrace, considering all of the things they so easily could do.
Yes, I think the setlist issue is one you make a good point on, but as for the performance factor, believe me, they gave it their all. BUt I appriciate the angle you take too.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

I can't reply to threads with misspellings in the title.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 01-23-2006, 04:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I can't reply to threads with misspellings in the title.
Dammit I thought about that. WHat an idiot,. ABSENCE. SOrry my bad
Old 01-23-2006, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
Dammit I thought about that. WHat an idiot,. ABSENCE. SOrry my bad
hahahahahahahaha!
Here's a little friend I use from time to time: dictionary.com

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 01-23-2006, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i think say you will is a good album, but to me theres no way it compares to any of the earlier ones with chris in them, - time doesnt count, although i like chris' time songs, they did a fantastic job with what they could, but its just not fleetwood mac, like time wasnt, and even behind the mask wasnt quite there, its buckingham nicks with mick and john, christine was perfect to tie it all together, but still a good album.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
hahahahahahahaha!
Here's a little friend I use from time to time: dictionary.com
I think it would be a good idea for me to make use of that in the future.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySongbird
i think say you will is a good album, but to me theres no way it compares to any of the earlier ones with chris in them, - time doesnt count, although i like chris' time songs, they did a fantastic job with what they could, but its just not fleetwood mac, like time wasnt, and even behind the mask wasnt quite there, its buckingham nicks with mick and john, christine was perfect to tie it all together, but still a good album.
Mr. MacDougall and ChiliD, I believe that's your cue...
Old 01-23-2006, 04:30 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Talking

I really enjoyed Say You Will. I really thought "The Dance" was the end. It's a major bummer that Christine isn't around. She balances out the extremes of Lindsey and Stevie's songs, as well as onstage. I *wish* Christine was still in the band...I like her songs, her voice..She adds something to the group much like all the other players.

IF I was a casual Fleetwood Mac listener...I probably would have been turned off by Say You Will. We're all biased since we like the Mac, but looking from the outside in I think most of you would agree with that.

As far as the tour goes...they DID rock. I saw them on 3 or 4 shows and each time was fantastic.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I also must say that I never got a chance to see Fleetwood Mac in the 70's in their heyday because I was simply too young. I have seen many videos and stuff like that, but no way does that compare to being there in person. If I could change one thing, I would go back and have made my mother let me go to the Tusk tour shows at Met Center in Minneapolis May 9&10, 1980. I still remember begging her as a 9 year old to go, but she wouldnt let me.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
... time doesnt count, although i like chris' time songs, they did a fantastic job with what they could, but its just not fleetwood mac, like time wasnt...

AhEM! (nearly 12 years and counting...it still doesn't sink in with some people)

What's the cover say on the Time album? Oh yeah, "FLEETWOOD MAC"...it counts. Always has, always will. It's as legitimate a Fleetwood Mac album as any other with the Fleetwood Mac name on it (and that includes Behind The Mask as well)

Ok, MacDougall, your turn.

Regarding Christine's absense (absence, or absinthe)...whatever...she didn't want to be involved, she wasn't, that's how Fleetwood Mac was for that album. With Fleetwood Mac, you just never know what the lineup of the next album is going to be...that's the legend of the band. Some people just won't let go of the fact that the Rumours lineup was a friggin' ANOMALY in the history of Fleetwood Mac. That they released six consecutive albums with the same lineup won't ever happen again.

Last edited by chiliD; 01-23-2006 at 05:11 PM..
Old 01-23-2006, 05:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
AhEM! (nearly 12 years and counting...it still doesn't sink in with some people)

What's the cover say on the Time album? Oh yeah, "FLEETWOOD MAC"...it counts. Always has, always will. It's as legitimate a Fleetwood Mac album as any other with the Fleetwood Mac name on it (and that includes Behind The Mask as well)

Ok, MacDougall, your turn.
I do like a few songs from Time. Nights In Estoril, These Strange Times, and Hollywood I do enjoy.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
its buckingham nicks with mick and john
EXACTLY!

I really enjoyed SYW, even without Christine. I did not however go to any shows because I have no interest in seeing this band live...because they just really don't have anything to offer me without Christine...and the fact that I could pretty much guess their set list, having never seen a FM show in my life

So for me FM is essentially over. I think they can still produce some great studio material (even though it's Buckingham Nicks more than FM) but as far as a live act...I feel that they are washed up!

*note* They are free to continue to tour if they wish, but they must NOT ever use a Christine McVie song...EVER! So please stop mutilating "Don't Stop" Stevie!