User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-15-2005, 07:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildInTheWind
That always pissed me off, too. My little brother says that to me all the time. I should smack one of these days.
My husband still says it after 15 years!!
Old 09-15-2005, 11:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky
When Ebay sellers describe Walter Egan as an "ex-Fleetwood Mac guitarist/singer"

Well...in their defense...he SHOULD'VE been.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh yeah i totally know what you mean.

Like " Isn't Stevie the guy that used to be married to whats-her-name....Lindsay soething. I really loved the album Rumors. that guy Fleetwood Mac is great on the drums. Yeah theyre a fantastic band i have all their albums.

Im sure you do.....
Old 09-15-2005, 09:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness Fades
Oh yeah i totally know what you mean.

Like " Isn't Stevie the guy that used to be married to whats-her-name....Lindsay soething. I really loved the album Rumors. that guy Fleetwood Mac is great on the drums. Yeah theyre a fantastic band i have all their albums.

Im sure you do.....

I have heard all of those - LOL - real FM experts!
Old 09-15-2005, 10:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Well...in their defense...he SHOULD'VE been.
Oh believe me, I don't disagree with that at all. I, of course, am a HUGE Walter Egan fan (evidenced by my website, Walternative.com) and as much as I like Billy Burnette and Rick Vito, Walter would have been a more logical replacement for Lindsey.

But should have been and actually was are two totally different things and I'm a stickler for accuracy in these sorts of things.

P.S.
I've heard some of Walter's newest recordings and I can't wait until he gets his next album out!

Last edited by Miss Vicky; 09-16-2005 at 07:50 AM..
Old 09-16-2005, 01:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh believe me, I don't disagree with that at all. I, of course, am a HUGE Walter Egan fan (evidenced by my website, Walternative.com) and as much as I like Billy Burnette and Rick Vito, Walter would have been a more logical replacement for Lindsey.

But should have been and actually was are two totally different thing and I'm a stickler for accuracy in these sorts of things.

P.S.
I've heard some of Walter's newest recordings and I can't wait until he gets his next album out!
I wouldn't go as far as saying that he'd be "a MORE logical replacement". I mean, Billy had his connections with Mick via the Zoo and had worked co-writing tunes with both Stevie & Christine. Rick had played with John McVie in the late 70's/early 80's incarnation of John Mayall's Bluesbreakers...and with Russ Kunkel & Bob Glaub (Stevie's first solo rhythm section) in Jackson Browne's band...so, both Billy & Rick had already established FMac connections.

But, Walter would've definitely BEEN a logical replacement, that's for sure. As Todd Sharp would have, too.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I wouldn't go as far as saying that he'd be "a MORE logical replacement".
We'll have to agree to disagree here, because I still believe Walter would have been a more logical choice. Not only did he already have very strong connections to the band - stronger connections, IMO, than either Rick or Billy - but he also draws from the same musical influences that shaped Lindsey's style.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
... stronger connections, IMO, than either Rick or Billy - but he also draws from the same musical influences that shaped Lindsey's style.
I'd say, at best, EQUALLY strong connections...on paper...but hadn't those faded by 1987? Billy & Rick's connections, IN 1987, were more current...they were "closer" to the band AT THAT POINT IN TIME. (the "what have you done for me lately" thing) Had Lindsey left in 1981, instead of 1987, I'd be right there with you, full-on, regarding Walter having the stronger connections.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For me, Billy Burnette and Todd Sharp would have been the logical choices in 1987, but maybe they felt that would have been too close to the Zoo and Christine's solo career. Rick was a bit of a shocker, but I love that he brought some of the old Green songs back into the set.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-16-2005, 07:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Other annoying misspellings:

Bob Welsh

Danny Kirwen/Kerwan/Kerwen

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-16-2005, 08:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Stevie Nicks, who he thing.

Ya Stevie as a guy thing drive me nuts. When I say do you like Stevie Nicks to someone. and they say , whos he, do you mean Stevie Wonder or Stevie Ray Vaughn . No. Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac, the girl lead singer that sings Dreams.Come on people, she's been around for 30 years now. Duh,Wake up and smell the coffee.The sigs sometimes are long, but some people are artistic on them. fancy spelling of words on here and other boards sometimes drive me nuts,cursing I can't complain about it, because I do it.also Stevie does it too.
Ebay bullcrap on selling Stevie/FM cd's/dvd's that can be traded by snail mail, or posted on the Dime for free.Ok I guest thats enough whining from me for now.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 09-16-2005, 10:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'd say, at best, EQUALLY strong connections...on paper...but hadn't those faded by 1987?
The last collaborations that I'm aware of between Walter and members of Fleetwood Mac occurred in 1985, on an album that eventually became 2000's Mad Dog/The Lost Album. Both Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie contributed to those recordings.

But like I said, we'll agree to disagree as to who the most logical replacement would have been, and agree that either way, Walter should have been in the band.

A little quote from the man of steel himself (from his Q and A sessions here on the Penguin):

"I do feel somewhat like a member of Fleetwood Mac, at least I did at that time. And, in fact, I've always regretted that they didn't ask me to be Lindsey's replacement. Whadaryagonnado?"

Last edited by Miss Vicky; 09-16-2005 at 11:15 PM..
Old 09-17-2005, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
For me, Billy Burnette and Todd Sharp would have been the logical choices in 1987, but maybe they felt that would have been too close to the Zoo and Christine's solo career.
Depends on who "they" is. The other members of Fleetwood Mac probably would have welcomed Burnette or Sharp into the fold (obviously, they did welcome Burnette into the fold), but I can promise you that the label execs would have been none too keen on them. The Zoo hadn't exactly been a commercial windfall. The execs wanted a superstar to join a superstar band: someone like Richard Marx

Personally, I'd have wanted John Mellencamp, who had just released his two best albums -- on which he showed significant achievement as a songwriter. "Lonesome Jubilee," in fact, was one of the best mainstream albums in the songwriter tradition of 1987. There's more art in a single stanza of "The Real Life" than in all the songs on "Behind the Mask" put together.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-17-2005, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Depends on who "they" is.
The band. I think it was either Billy or Todd, but not both because of the Zoo/Christine solo thing.
Quote:
but I can promise you that the label execs would have been none too keen on them. The Zoo hadn't exactly been a commercial windfall. The execs wanted a superstar to join a superstar band: someone like Richard Marx
Well, to play Devil's advocate here, Billy WAS nominated for a big country award in 1987, and had an impressive list of people who had recorded his songs. As for Rick, I honestly don't think the band was expecting him to be a singer/songwriter. In any event, I'm so glad they didn't go with a Richard Marx.
Quote:
Personally, I'd have wanted John Mellencamp, who had just released his two best albums -- on which he showed significant achievement as a songwriter.
The problem is that somebody like John Mellencamp's own fame could easily overshadow the band.

My choice for a replacement would have been Roger McGuinn. He has a name, is a brilliant guitarist, a great singer/songwriter, a great interpreter of other's music, a great arranger, has a great sense of harmony, and is a natural band leader, which is exactly what the band needed after Lindsey. He was a pioneer in folk-rock AND country-rock and was a major innovator of music technology, which would have made him a natural for that version of Fleetwood Mac. Sure, he wasn't a big hit king anymore, but then it's not like Lindsey (if we're being honest) was ever the big hit maker in Fleetwood Mac.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-17-2005, 12:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
Well, to play Devil's advocate here, Billy WAS nominated for a big country award in 1987, and had an impressive list of people who had recorded his songs.
As usual, pal, your reply is utterly irrelevant to my point. You're just showing off your encyclopedic knowledge of music factoids & then trying to twist that into a pertinent counter-argument. Billy was not a superstar on the pop or rock -- or even the country -- scene. He was not a household name. He was not a powerhouse commercial force. The execs wanted superstar status joined with other superstar status. Rupert Holmes has had an "impressive list of people who had recorded his songs," too -- that doesn't ipso facto make him a superstar.
Quote:
The problem is that somebody like John Mellencamp's own fame could easily overshadow the band.
Pishposh. "Overshadow"? What does that even mean, in concrete terms? Drop the abstractions. It would have been a wonderful conjoining of two powerhouse acts, each of which had more than a little in common musically with the other.
Quote:
My choice for a replacement would have been Roger McGuinn. He has a name, is a brilliant guitarist, a great singer/songwriter, a great interpreter of other's music, a great arranger, has a great sense of harmony, and is a natural band leader, which is exactly what the band needed after Lindsey.
McGuinn would have been a very interesting choice, indeed. And sure enough, years later, Stevie Nicks appeared at a Roger McGuinn club concert in Los Angeles & sang "Mr. Tambourine Man" with him.

moviekinks.blogspot.com