Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

From Heroes Are Hard To Find (blog):
I was overjoyed by a Fleetwood Mac mention in the awesomely moving new film by Darnell Martin, Cadillac Records, a dramatization of the story of Chess Records. The mention happens during Willie Dixon's (Cedric the Entertainer) narration. He describes the British bands that were influenced by Chess Records: "The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, and Eric Clapton." I thought that was cool that Mac (technically Peter Green-era) was recognized as being worthy of that grouping. If only someone could tell the Mac story with Martin's understanding of how private personality (ambition, pain, sensitivity), social context, and material differences combine to create a pop epoch!

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is an article on the founder of "Yo Sushi," Sam Woodroffe. What did he do? Win a contract to cater FM's food.

From the Telegraph, 12-12/08

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...n-in-cash.html

What's been your favourite holiday?

I don't take many holidays, but there's one I will always remember. In my early 30s I was designing rock stages for concerts. I flew down to Australia to win a contract for a Fleetwood Mac tour and on my way back I took a light aircraft to Western Samoa. On the flight I met a girl who lived on the island. She took me to her village to meet her family. Her father was village chief and I remember going back to my hotel afterwards thinking: "I could be the head of the village 20 years from now". I was there for two weeks, swam in the South Pacific, dived off waterfalls and returned completely chilled.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:16 AM
Registered

Default Here's a weird one.

An odd reference, but a reference nonetheless:

Judging by its share price, the market isn't convinced either as it has dropped by one-third more than the average. But that's what Fleetwood Mac - oops, I mean Corporation - is promising, although there are some strings attached, such as profitability being maintained and no acquisitions.

From an article complaining about a company that builds trailers for miners? Takes all kinds.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/...585162694.html

All the same, baby. All the same.

"You never know what I'll do. I've resequenced my show. I'm a master at sequencing. I'm the one who sequenced for Fleetwood Mac. I sequenced 'Rumours.' Everyone loves my sequences. They're fun.''
Old 12-15-2008, 05:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
An odd reference, but a reference nonetheless:

Judging by its share price, the market isn't convinced either as it has dropped by one-third more than the average. But that's what Fleetwood Mac - oops, I mean Corporation - is promising, although there are some strings attached, such as profitability being maintained and no acquisitions.

From an article complaining about a company that builds trailers for miners? Takes all kinds.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/...585162694.html
Heh. This one relates to the same situation, but with an even juicier reference. I found it the other day during my regular Fleetwood Mac searches - it is rather nice for the business journalists that the companies are Fleetwood and Mac.

Housing providers Fleetwood Corp and Mac Services this week fell foul of Rio Tinto's capex squeeze. While 1970s band Fleetwood Mac crooned Don't Stop, Rio Tinto's message was Go Your Own Way, with contract cancellations affecting Fleetwood (Pilbara iron ore housing) and Mac (Alcan's 300-room Gladstone village).

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-23634,00.html
Old 12-15-2008, 07:25 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubtfulMiracle View Post
Heh. This one relates to the same situation, but with an even juicier reference.
Haha, at least that one was slightly more involved, but methinks the journalists are reaching.

Here's another bizarre one that popped up thanks to my trusty Google Alerts:

“wherever yin and yang come together, a spiral of energy is created. and spirals are everywhere; from the twisted corkscrew of the galaxy, to the dirty water spinning down your bathtub drain, the natural world expresses itself through spirals: the earth spins like a top around the sun. tornadoes, ocean currents, and stevie nicks are all manifestations of spiraling energy. from the hair spiral on the top of your head, through the funky coils of your fingerprints, all the way down to your dna, you are made up of spirals, too. and as a member of the spiral club, you are being created and uncreated by the infinite universe every moment of every day.”

http://sushizume.com/2008/12/15/spiral-love/

All the same, baby. All the same.

"You never know what I'll do. I've resequenced my show. I'm a master at sequencing. I'm the one who sequenced for Fleetwood Mac. I sequenced 'Rumours.' Everyone loves my sequences. They're fun.''
Old 12-21-2008, 10:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh, Stevie would have murdered them for a lot less!

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/b...77-one-strange

From a review of Sarah Brightman's show:

At other times, ghostly scenes are projected onto the mirrors. Brightman has a taste for Gothic, vaguely Harry Potter-y landscapes filled with cathedrals, stone gargoyles, primeval forests and rainy vistas. Stevie Nicks would have murdered the rest of Fleetwood Mac for sets and costumes like these.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is an article discussing the music industry's struggle to come to terms with new technology.

Boulder Weekly

http://www.boulderweekly.com/20090101/generalpage.html

But the transition from records to CDs wasn’t so smooth. “Almost everyone in the music industry fought against compact discs when they first came out,” said Knopper. “Producers, executives, distributors… even a lot of musicians. They hated it.”

And with good reason. Adopting the CD format meant changing the way everything was done in the industry, from recording to manufacturing to packaging the damn things. Visionary Arista Records founder Clive Davis wasn’t keen on CDs; artists such as Neil Young, Fleetwood Mac and the Cars wanted nothing to do with the new technology; and there was even an organization called MAD (Musicians Against Digital, not to be confused with the angry maternal prohibitionists Mothers Against Drunk Driving).

But in the end, the industry came around for one very good reason: money. There was so much more cash to be made in CDs that it was foolish not to jump ship. Compact discs were relatively easy to produce, and they took up almost no shelf space. Records and cassette tapes sold for a mere $8.98 apiece, but customers were willing to pay almost twice that amount for a CD.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't have the exact quote, and sorry if someone else already posted this, but in the latest issue of Rolling Stone, there is a list of the top 50 or 100 singles of the year. One of them is Acid Tongue by Jenny Lewis, which happens to be my favorite song this year(whoops, I mean, last year), so I read the review, and they described it as having Fleetwood Mac type harmonies. I'm not sure I totally agree (it's an acoustic song, with huge, lush harmonies in parts, but the only Mac songs I could think of that might sound a little like that song were Save Me a Place and The Farmer's Daughter), but it is an absolutely gorgeous song.

Anyway, I just thought I'd add my 2 cents.

Kevin
Old 01-03-2009, 04:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyfan View Post
I don't have the exact quote, and sorry if someone else already posted this, but in the latest issue of Rolling Stone, there is a list of the top 50 or 100 singles of the year. One of them is Acid Tongue by Jenny Lewis, which happens to be my favorite song this year(whoops, I mean, last year), so I read the review, and they described it as having Fleetwood Mac type harmonies. I'm not sure I totally agree (it's an acoustic song, with huge, lush harmonies in parts, but the only Mac songs I could think of that might sound a little like that song were Save Me a Place and The Farmer's Daughter), but it is an absolutely gorgeous song.

Anyway, I just thought I'd add my 2 cents.

Kevin
Thanks. I'll check it out. I guess Lindsey wasn't mentioned in Rolling Stone's year end round up, which disappoints me. UTS was and this album is as good as UTS. Michele
Old 01-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This was a funny article about all the ways the Merrill Lynch CEO, John Thain, spent (wasted) a fortune redecorating his office just before the struggling company was purchased by Bank of America:

http://blog.macleans.ca/2009/01/25/c...n-office-reno/

How exactly do you spend $1.2-million on an office reno?

Sent assistant to Staples and she just sort of went crazy.

Might have something to do with the Olympic-sized swimming pool.

Trap door in front of desk was fine as is, but pit needed new snakes.

Show me one CEO on Wall Street whose office doesn’t have a Starbucks.

Instead of buying boom box for couple hundred bucks, insisted on keeping Fleetwood Mac over in the corner.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I bet you've often wondered what's David Huffstutler, the CEO of St. David's Medical Center listening to?

http://austin.bizjournals.com/austin...1769642&page=2

What music are you listening to right now?

It’s all over the board. Right now, it’s the Buckingham Nicks, with Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham. It’s pre-Fleetwood Mac. My wife found it.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[This is an article deridiing the RRHOF selection process, but it mentions FM as an example of how dumb the voters are. I thought it was a pretty funny piece. Also, on another note, I would like to say that I'm extremely proud that the phrase The Beat Goes On has worked itself so far into popular culture. I was a fan of Sonny's before I was 10 years old. I only became a FM fan when I was 16. Oh, and in between Sonny and Cher and Fleetwood Mac, I also loved the Jacksons.]

Crawdaddy

http://crawdaddy.wolfgangsvault.com/...me-My-Ass.html

Hall of Fame My Ass
by Jeffrey Thiessen • March 5, 2008

These so called “panel experts” generally receive a ballot in the mail, including the names of the nominees, and a small blurb extolling the virtues of each specific nominee no more then a paragraph long. Then, if that still doesn’t ring any bells with these esteemed scholars, a small audio clip is included with each band’s package, generally containing the band’s most popular hit. So if these voters can’t for the life of them remember who Fleetwood Mac was, well, fear not, because they have an mp3 file of “Go Your Own Way” to jog their memory. And here is where you may have so callously assumed the boneheaded public lacked the resources or knowledge to make these sorts of monumental decisions. Now that you know the comprehensive process that goes into selecting the inductees, hopefully you won’t be making that presumption again.

Since I’m personally not a musician, I’ve always wondered how exactly bands find their sound, and thanks to the Hall of Fame’s “The Beat Goes On” exhibit, and its subsequent reduction of that process to simple mathematical equations, I will never have to wonder about that again.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Press Article on woman who worked as wardrobe designer for FM and was initially inspired by Stevie's clothes:

http://www.1888pressrelease.com/jill...pr-105644.html

Jill Focke Unveils New Line of Asian Inspired Evening Wear

(1888PressRelease) March 13, 2009 - Jill Focke was once just a designer to the stars. But after many years of serving Hollywood and the rock n’ roll elite, Jill started J. Ellen Designs where she now creates designer original eveningwear, casual wear and jewelry for the everyday woman.

After graduating from the University of Pittsburgh, Ms. Focke worked for various theatrical companies, including Pittsburgh Public Theatre, Ringling Brothers Circus and the Houston Grand Opera and soon landed work in the wardrobe department for the Carl Reiner film ‘That Old Feelin’ in 1997.

Jill quickly moved into the touring aspect of the music business as wardrobe supervisor for such acts as Bette Midler, Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Nicks, Diana Ross, Miley Cyrus, the Backstreet Boys and Lenny Kravitz.

Initially motivated by designs for Stevie Nicks, Jill now uses beautifully beaded and embroidered Asian fabrics, which makes each piece unique and special.

“More times than not, it's the fabric that inspires my designs, and not the other way around,” Jill says of her creations. “I have been so influenced by the beauty of the Sari fabrics that I have worked with, that for me it is better to find the gorgeous pieces of fabric, and then decide what they should become. So, for me, it's all about the fabric.”

Jill feels her talent is best expressed on her own terms and not letting herself get caught up in the commercial competition that is prevalent in the fashion industry. This has resulted in a clientele that is confident that each of their garments will never be duplicated.

For more information on Jill Focke and J. Ellen Designs, you can visit her website: www.JillsDesigns.etsy.com or email her at: jill ( @ ) j-ellendesigns dot com.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Top 40 Charts.com talks about Aaron Barnhart's new album

http://top40-charts.com/news.php?nid=47214

While recording MISSING PIECES, Brett Tuggle, Musician/Fleetwood Mac shared "I recently had the opportunity to hear a new artist named Aaron Barnhart. I was impressed by his talents as a singer/songwriter and musician. Aaron has that unique gift to be able to write a good song and deliver a vocal performance that is real and exciting to listen to. I believe Aaron has "the goods" to be a lasting force in music. Put on his new CD Missing Pieces, sit back and enjoy the ride..." Aaron recently helped Fleetwood Mac prepare for their upcoming tour and played auxiliary keyboards with the band.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I bet you've often wondered what's David Huffstutler, the CEO of St. David's Medical Center listening to?

http://austin.bizjournals.com/austin...1769642&page=2

What music are you listening to right now?

It’s all over the board. Right now, it’s the Buckingham Nicks, with Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham. It’s pre-Fleetwood Mac. My wife found it.
I always wondered what ol' Dave Huffstutler was spinning on his turntable!

moviekinks.blogspot.com