Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: New album?
Yes 138 93.24%
No 6 4.05%
Suck it and see 4 2.70%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2014, 09:30 AM
Ledgie

Default Do we really want a new Fleetwood Mac album?

There's been quite a bit of talk about this one. Obviously the Mac are my all time favourite and of course I'd get the CD if/when they do it... but does it really need to be done?

I read some comments by Mick Jagger not long ago where he said the Stones probably aren't going to do any new studio albums. He said when a band does a new album they usually devote the majority of any gigs afterward to material from that. Now that's cool for a band that hasn't been around as long and doesn't quite have that same status... but with a band like the Stones - people at the gigs want to hear the old classics. Stuff that they know and can sing along to. Jagger I guess finds that a little dissapointing - but still wants to please the fans.

I'm wondering if it's the same with Fleetwood Mac. OK there was a tiny bit of new material on the 2013 tour, but that was literally only one or two tracks from Extended Play. Plus they sandwiched them bang slam in the middle of the gig between the old classics. The audience WERE receptive (and seemed to be quite happy to sing along to Sad Angel) because I'm guessing it was just one or two songs and not overpowering.

Now personally - if the Mac do release a big new CD I'd want it to be a live album of the 2013 tour (maybe with a CD of Extended Play as a little bonus). That would be a package I could get excited about because I'll know that I'm going to love it. I wouldn't have that guarantee with a new studio album.

Then maybe when another big world tour gears up just do another EP. Extended Play II if you like. Then for that new tour do another couple of tracks off that.

An occasional 4 track EP through iTunes is I think the best way for the band to get a bit of new material out there every now and then.

What do you guys think?
Old 01-12-2014, 09:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

If they were to take a back to basics, from the ground up approach and work on the album as a band, absolutely it would be great to have a new album. I cringe a bit at the idea of Stevie "sending" them some tapes and dropping by near the finish to slap on some vocals and having zero part of the creative process. Also, the band would need a producer who "gets" them, Dashut and Calliat come to mind and take them in a direction that upholds the quality of the work through the process and keeps the egos in check. Otherwise, we would be in for more bloat and inconsistent work which would end up on the shelf or taking up i-pod space. Oh yeah, did I mention not to be attempted without Ms McVie in the room?
Old 01-12-2014, 09:45 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
If they were to take a back to basics, from the ground up approach and work on the album as a band, absolutely it would be great to have a new album. I cringe a bit at the idea of Stevie "sending" them some tapes and dropping by near the finish to slap on some vocals and having zero part of the creative process. Also, the band would need a producer who "gets" them, Dashut and Calliat come to mind and take them in a direction that upholds the quality of the work through the process and keeps the egos in check. Otherwise, we would be in for more bloat and inconsistent work which would end up on the shelf or taking up i-pod space. Oh yeah, did I mention not to be attempted without Ms McVie in the room?
I completely agree! A fresh batch of songs from scratch would be a refreshing change of pace rather than a collection of recycled songs from past projects, which essentially made up Say You Will. And now since its been confirmed that Christine will be rejoing the group, that could very well reinvigorate the rest of the band and indeed bring back a group sense of work ethic.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It would be great to have the band flesh out songs like You Can't Fix This and give us something great. One devil reference is enough to create a hook, let's try some great metaphor to bring the song to greatness....Ms Nicks will need to be open to a just a little feedback on grammar and editing to get her writing back on track and Mr Buckingham will need to bring himself to realize it's us who need to like his experiments. Christine will just need to be herself and we'll get that elusive great album we've been waiting for since '79

Last edited by On Ice; 01-12-2014 at 10:29 AM..
Old 01-12-2014, 10:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking

Quote:
It would be great to have the band flesh out songs like You Can't Fix This and give us something great. One devil reference is enough to create a hook, let's try some great metaphor to bring the song to greatness....Ms Nicks will need to be open to a just a little feedback on grammar and editing to get her writing back on track and Mr Buckingham will need to bring himself to realize it's us who need to like his experiments. Christine will just need to be herself and we'll get that elusive great album we've been waiting for since '79
who are these us you are talking about? FM fandom is very fragmented. there are enough of us who LOVE his experiments. wish he'd go back to them. you all convinced him that with the Mac he has to just run the formula into the ground instead.

(which is fine, he just has to get that mac album out of the way and get back to us solo.)

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-12-2014, 10:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

That's certainly a good point Elle and Lindsey's experimenting has certainly worked for him in some instances, Tusk for example by and large, but my main point is that quality will need to prevail in the vein of an Out of the Cradle vs inconsistency that's plagued some of his and Stevie's other work. I personally don't care about formula for the ~Mac, I just want something really good to listen to.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Ms Nicks will need to be open to a just a little feedback on grammar and editing to get her writing back on track and Mr Buckingham will need to bring himself to realize it's us who need to like his experiments.
Completely agree, but it's not going to happen because a long time ago she decided she's a big star and everything she touches "these days has turned to gold."
Old 01-13-2014, 08:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree completely.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenStu View Post
I read some comments by Mick Jagger not long ago where he said the Stones probably aren't going to do any new studio albums. He said when a band does a new album they usually devote the majority of any gigs afterward to material from that. Now that's cool for a band that hasn't been around as long and doesn't quite have that same status... but with a band like the Stones - people at the gigs want to hear the old classics. Stuff that they know and can sing along to. Jagger I guess finds that a little dissapointing - but still wants to please the fans.
excuses excuses....

This is exactly what makes Fleetwood Mac so special - they are still making music after all this time. Ok they could have done more in the last 15 years -but they've had solo careers too, with new music, which has kept many fans happy. One of the reasons I am so into this band is that you are never sure what's going to happen next. With the Stones you know its going to be all the oldies, and as much as I love some of those, it doesn't keep me interested in them. I'm over the moon that FM will be making a new album, with Christine, no matter how it turns out.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Why not?
I don't expect a new Tusk, a new Rumours or Tango, but a fine work of those FIVE would be cool.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

YES! A new record please! A great FM record has been toooo long overdue!! With Chris on record as having sent Lindsey some new material, it really does sound like a new record is most likely in the works - which would be amazing news! Stevie probably has given Lindsey some songs/demos as well. However, my only hope is that all three songwriters are given EQUAL songs for the 1st time, instead of the 3 Stevie songs to Chris' 4 and Lindsey's 5 - SYW being the exception! But since Stevie holds much, MUCH more power in the band since the 80s, i'd be really surprised if she is given the short end of the stick.

A 12 song record w/ 4 songs from each (released this year) sounds about perfect to me with a "Tango" meets "Rumours" production value. And please toss out the disappointing production of "Extended Play" - I really expected more from Mitchell Froom, but Lindsey co-produced as well . Bring in Calliat or Dashut, I now appreciate what brilliance (sound engineering) each brought to the table, to the sound of the first 5 BN era FM records. Bottom line is they need an amazing & objective sound engineer & co-producer. Hell, bring in Dave Stewart & his team- "In Your Dreams" sounded pretty amazing!

Last edited by Christopher; 01-12-2014 at 05:07 PM..
Old 01-12-2014, 05:29 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Can't wait to hear the 5 of them together again...
Old 01-12-2014, 05:37 PM
Senior Ledgie

Hell yea we want a new album! Im pretty sure we will see one before a tour. I like the idea of a cross between tusk and rumours. That's kind of what SYW was to me, some classic sounding stuff next to something crazy. I really liked the EP. I love the three of them together more than solo even though Stevie has had some great solo moments. 4 from each writer would be nice. And yea ban all back up singers! I want the three of them Harmonizing. Some duets would be nice. But what ever they put out I'm sure it will be great, what ever they want to do. They are my favorite band for a reason.

Last edited by gssmith; 01-12-2014 at 05:41 PM..
Old 01-12-2014, 05:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
What is there even left to experiment with at this point, though?

Idk, my hope would be that they wouldn't try to overthink all of the songs and would just let them be natural and organic and whatever they end up being. I feel like when they try purposefully to be left-field or they try to be FM-y or commercial it ends up sucking.
I get what you're saying. But what I thought was seriously missing from Extended Play was some of Lindsey's quirkiness. The whole thing was just so middle of the road. Bland. I think Fleetwood Mac is at it's best when Lindsey is a little bit zany, Stevie is kooky/mystical, and Christine bridges them with her breezy pop influence. I really think Lindsey will bring on his A-game with Christine's inclusion, though. I think she's able to challenge Lindsey in a way no one else can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
YES! A new record please! A great FM record has been toooo long overdue!! With Chris on record as having sent Lindsey some new material, it really does sound like a new record is most likely in the works - which would be amazing news! Stevie probably has given Lindsey some songs/demos as well. However, my only hope is that all three songwriters are given EQUAL songs for the 1st time, instead of the 3 Stevie songs to Chris' 4 and Lindsey's 5 - SYW being the exception! But since Stevie holds much, MUCH more power in the band since the 80s, i'd be really surprised if she is given the short end of the stick.

A 12 song record w/ 4 songs from each (released this year) sounds about perfect to me with a "Tango" meets "Rumours" production value. And please toss out the disappointing production of "Extended Play" - I really expected more from Mitchell Froom, but Lindsey co-produced as well . Bring in Calliat or Dashut, I now appreciate what brilliance (sound engineering) each brought to the table, to the sound of the first 5 BN era FM records. Bottom line is they need an amazing & objective sound engineer & co-producer. Hell, bring in Dave Stewart & his team- "In Your Dreams" sounded pretty amazing!
I used to disagree with the thought of going back to Ken and/or Richard. But no one has ever been able to produce this band better. I haven't heard much of what Richard has done lately, but Ken's work on his daughter Colbie's albums is just the absolute best of what was so good about the classic Fleetwood Mac sound.

Regarding the equal distribution of songs... at this point, if does end up uneven, I think it will be a mutual decision. Like you pointed out, Stevie carries a weight these days that she never did in Fleetwood Mac's prime. I think the number of songs she brings to the table will ultimately be her own decision. She didn't want to contribute anything to Extended Play, so she didn't. Equal distribution would be nice, but I want this album to be organic, too. So if that means Christine gets one additional song (or whatever), then so be it.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:30 PM
Senior Ledgie

Speaking of the Mac doing a "Rumours II," isn't that what they tried to do with Mirage? That album sort of felt like a forced Rumours (though there were moments of brilliance), and you just can't force something like Rumours. That's why Rumours worked so well, because it was so natural. They just need to go in as a band and do what feels right at the moment. Don't over think it.