Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-25-2003, 06:05 AM
Ledgie

Default Hey Ledgies! Let's play "let's humble Mick"

Ok gather around all. I've got a great new game for us, in light of Mick's recent quest for hungry little puppy dogs who will lap up anything fed to them:

This new game is called "Let's Humble Mick"

The rules are simple - each contestant rates Mick's drumming in relation to other artists he/she also listens too. The point is not to be insulting, but objective. Humility is the key here, something which Mick seems to have been lacking recently.

So how do you rate Mick's drumming?

ok, I'll get us started:

Mick's a competent drummer, and he knows how to do what's necessary to make the music work as a whole. I'll give him that. But I've always found his drum solos rather boring. He's not particularly innovative in trying to break new ground. When I really want to get excited about a drummer, I listen to guys like Stewart Copeland (Police), Gavin Harrison and Chris Maitland (Porcupine Tree), Zoltan Csorsz (The Flower Kings), Phil Collins, and Manu Katche (Peter Gabriel), as well as Alan White and Bill Bruford (Yes and King Crimson) and Neal Peart (Rush).

Now I realize that these people are in a totally different genre of music, but who cares. That's irrelevant, as the point of the game is to humble Mick.

lol - you think I'm being mean? Well, probably a lilttle. But actually, I really am speaking from the heart, as I've always felt there was nothing too exciting about Mick's drumming. Simply put, he is NOT the reason that FM is my favorite band.

david
Old 02-25-2003, 10:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Hey Ledgies! Let's play "let's humble Mick"

Quote:
Originally posted by LindseyRocks
Now I realize that these people are in a totally different genre of music, but who cares. That's irrelevant, as the point of the game is to humble Mick.
Much as I like this idea (it's for a good cause), I'm afraid that I can't play; I really dig the sound of Mick's drumming.

In retrospect, I can see how foolish it was to praise Mick in his own arena, but I actually posted something about "Why Mick Fleetwood Is My Favorite Drummer in Rock" on his message board. It is true, though---he is.

I've always hated rock drumming that goes the Neil Peart route (maybe because I generally hate rock). I love the complexity in jazz but not in rock. But even those who think Mick is simplistic & not really skilled in the traditional rock drumming role have to admit that he's a helluva timekeeper. His meter is better than anybody else's.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:06 PM
Ledgie

Default actually...

many of the drummers I listed do have a significant Jazz background, and it shows in their style. That's what a lot of progressive rock is all about - merging different styles to come up with something totally original.

Well, I do agree that Mick has a good meter. But that's kind of a given, isn't it? I mean, if a person doesn't have a good meter, what the hell is he doing playing drums in the first place?

Anyway, like I said, Mick's competent. I just don't think he's really broken down any barriers. For me, I need something more than just a good meter to really take notice. And it doesn't have to be all flash all the time. But a little innovation never hurt anyone, in my humble opinion.

But who knows - I dared criticize a member of the Mac, so I expected to get a lot of heat on this one. I just thought it would be interesting to see what the reaction would be. And thus far, it appears my topic hasn't been the flaming hit I thought it would be.

lol - a little humilty for myself as well

david
Old 02-25-2003, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

competent.. yes.

innovative.. no.

he's ok.. but i have to agree with you.. his drum solos aren't that great. (i.e. Not that Funny live... could go a MILLION directions with that song, but nooo..) His rolls always have a little pulse in them, too. But, that's ok.. it's all relaxed sounding and it fits what FM is doing.

Other drummers, and I'm excluding "classic" bands cuz they're classic for a reason and I'm all into new stuff right now:

I love Adrian from No Doubt.. primarily because he's self-taught (like most of 'em..) and doesn't suck like hell. He can switch from rock to pop.. to raggae.. harder rock.. and awesome ska beats. very cool.. nothing THAT special though.

The only drummer I can think of that is really standing out to me right now is Danny Carrey from Tool. He can play single bass like its double bass.. and double bass fast as hell. He uses like, 7 million different cymbals.. I just think he's great.

Sarah
Old 02-25-2003, 08:39 PM
Ledgie

Default Jeff Porcaro

Jeff Porcaro , founder of Toto and master drummer supreme
this guy was arguably the best drummer of "modern" times.... he had it all.. never have heard anyoen work the cymbol like him and his sense of groove.. oo the best
anyone agree?
Jeff could drums circles around mick

P.S. Jeffs performance on "Rosanna" beats anything mick ever recorded

Last edited by rhianntp; 02-25-2003 at 08:42 PM..
Old 02-25-2003, 10:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Sarah
The only drummer I can think of that is really standing out to me right now is Danny Carrey from Tool. Sarah
Tool, eh? Would I like Tool, Sarah? Are they a squishy soft-pop outfit?
Old 02-26-2003, 01:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ugh! That's all I'll say about this thread.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:56 PM
Ledgie

Default It's his playing behind the beat that make him special

I notice it and love it and LB has mentioned it in some early FM quotes - it is his style of playing behind the beat, very noticeable in songs such as Hold Me. That to me is what distinguishes him and makes him a huge contributor to the FM sound.

Jeff
Old 02-26-2003, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah...I don't think this is humbling to Mick in any way...but whatever...

As a drummer myself, I think Mick is quite a good drummer...he does have a style that is all his own...I mean...what other drummers have had muppets modeled after them?

As for not innovative...what!?! Have you seen Fleetwood Mac perform live? Okay...I haven't BUT my a friend of mine did...and bootlegged it...and let me tell ya...that drum suit Mick has..that thing is damn cool....and he is just wacky and Mick....

As one might be able to tell I'm a Mick enthusiast...I like the guy, so he's trying to make more money...as long as people pay...he's gonna keep trying....
Old 02-26-2003, 06:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by David
Tool, eh? Would I like Tool, Sarah? Are they a squishy soft-pop outfit?
Only if a group that has thoughtful, meaningful lyrics and very, very skilled musicians is squishy and soft-pop.

Never heard double bass on a soft pop wrekkit before. I hate soft rock. Blahhhh@ Your Listen at Work Station. Hello, Dentist's Office & JC Penny.

Sarah
Old 02-27-2003, 01:06 AM
Ledgie

Default lol

Sarah - thanks for backing me up on this one. Lol. Apparently others aren't finding this little thread nearly as humorous as I did.

But I thought I was objective about it. I guess I'd be slightly miffed if someone ripped on Lindsey - lol....either that or I'd just laugh at them

BTW, if you like Tool, check out Porcupine Tree. They will totally blow you away.

david
Old 02-27-2003, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Well....

It's true I've never thought that Mick was just this super duper special drummer, and I FF his solos on World Turning and Not That Funny, which I think are tiresome....

BUT there's this one song I heard - a bootleg of "Blue Letter" from the White Album Tour. And, at the end, Mick just went wild. It was the only time I had ever thought, "You GO Mick! YEAH!" and the only time I wanted him to KEEP drumming! Maybe I can find an MP3 of it to post.

Anyway, so he can be cool.

Old 02-27-2003, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Here it is...

Here is the Blue Letter I was talking about. Check it out.

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~nkerns/MP...tterlive75.mp3

Old 02-27-2003, 07:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: lol

Quote:
Originally posted by LindseyRocks
Sarah - thanks for backing me up on this one. Lol. Apparently others aren't finding this little thread nearly as humorous as I did.
well, see..

i didn't think it was putting mick on blast.. just recognizing that he isn't really, IMO, the god of the drum. we aren't even talking about him as a person, i dont think.. purely musical.

i can blast him if i need to, though.. cuz god knows i have plenty of opinions about his hell-hole website money machine.

Sarah
Old 02-27-2003, 07:59 PM
Ledgie

Default exactly sarah

Right, and that's all I was saying too. lol. Hence the term "objective". And you obviously understood what I was saying. right on.