The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:48 PM
Ledgie

The "gained weight" thing is definetely a aspect ratio flaw on some of the youtube 19th Kendal stuff. No need to put PG on a diet, he's just stretched out on the screen ;-)
Old 02-26-2010, 12:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Moose View Post
How about this, then? Film quality better here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9_TAOq5OXE

Ms Moose
Thanks Ms. for this footage! I just saw Peter Green playing "Albatross" with a Fender Stratocaster body with a Gibson Les Paul neck, and head stock (not exactly, but in the style of). While I'm not a guitarist, I know that Peter Green's "flipped magnet" Les Paul post John Mayall-1971/3 (pre Gary Moore) was an out of phase tone guitar when engaged. The standard Fender Stratocaster since the mid 60's have had the five selector pickup switch where two selections are out of phase guitar tones. Someone has gone out of their way to try to replicate the infamous '59 Les Paul with a Stratocaster body combined with a Les Paul neck, and headstock (without a lawsuit filed by Gibson). I'm also happy that Peter looks fine in the video. Mario, you're right.

Last edited by slipkid; 02-26-2010 at 12:49 AM..
Old 02-27-2010, 06:36 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
Thanks Ms. for this footage! I just saw Peter Green playing "Albatross" with a Fender Stratocaster body with a Gibson Les Paul neck, and head stock (not exactly, but in the style of). While I'm not a guitarist, I know that Peter Green's "flipped magnet" Les Paul post John Mayall-1971/3 (pre Gary Moore) was an out of phase tone guitar when engaged. The standard Fender Stratocaster since the mid 60's have had the five selector pickup switch where two selections are out of phase guitar tones. Someone has gone out of their way to try to replicate the infamous '59 Les Paul with a Stratocaster body combined with a Les Paul neck, and headstock (without a lawsuit filed by Gibson). I'm also happy that Peter looks fine in the video. Mario, you're right.
The white Strat-looking guitar is actually a Swedish Hagstrom guitar..
http://www.hagstromguitars.se/upload...00SBL_2_05.jpg
Sounds quite good to me.. but which guitar wouldn't in Peters hands
Old 02-27-2010, 07:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, you are right, it is a Swedish Hagstrom guitar..

Martin told me that Peter had always loved them, very easy action, he says...

Mario.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Red face Twisted knickers.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
Dear Folks,

I must be just an old fart or something (57 and counting), because the only thing i notice from the two side by side recordings is:
the november recording was taken with a sharper camera with a better focal length than the one in GB
Peter seems to have settled in to a groove that he likes for the song and is playing it like he might be after a bunch of nights in a row. As a musician who has just gone through a similar experience in the last couple of weeks,it could easily be construed as distracted or bored, but is neither.

What I would hope is that all those lucky fans who are getting the opportunity to see this marvelous human being live, don't go through the motions listening to him. I would eagerly take your place if I could.

yours truely,

doodyhead
Yes, you are right doodyhead - the film from the Kendal performance was of low tecnical quality, what bjornense call "an aspect ratio flaw"? I am tecnically/digitally (and probably also a lot of other things-) illiterate, so I took the weird compressed and unclear picture at face value (so to speak). I think me and slipkid "got our knickers in a twist" (as they say in the north of england), still I think we express this feeling of impending doom that lurks at the back of the minds of anybody who has followed PG for a long time: will he be allright this time? And: Is he cutting his fingernails?

Joking aside: I really sincerely do hope that PG&F will go to USA so you can get a chance to hear them, doodyhead.

Mario I will stop obsessing

Ms Moose
Old 03-25-2010, 03:31 PM
Junior Ledgie

I was actually AT the Kendal show and a friend of mine took some of the youtube clips. The audience was pretty well warmed up by Martin Celmins and his one-man-band blues phenomenon.

All I can say was that it was a dynamic, intimate, intense and incredibly entertaining gig. From what I could see, at close quarters in an audience of about 200 max, in the flesh, PG and Friends were all enjoying it immensely - and there was a lot of off-mic banter from PG and with the band.

We were lucky to be standing near the side entrance to the hall, which doubled up as stage door due to the small venue size, so we rather unexpectedly had the band literally brushing past us going onto stage, and between encores.

I had gone with uncertain expectations but every song was tight with some truly achingly beautiful playing by PG - without doubt the playing was on fine form.

Highlights for this FM nut were the Oh Well - Albatross sequence (including PG playing Mick Fleetwood's cowbell tap-ta-tap on guitar), and a laid back version of Black Magic Woman which PG intro'd with some interestingly Santana-esque soloing.

Easily as exquisite as the MFBB ft Rick Vito tour last year, somewhat less 'thumping' in approach, but a satisfying counterpoint nontheless. Quite a year for us UK fans - MFBB, PG & F, and Unleashed.

More Please!