User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
that's the option i heard her say happened, so that's the one i will go with.
In the CBS debacle, it sounded like she was told not asked, furthermore, didn't she go so far as to say the plan was to tour with Lindsey...something like that... Mick was VERY displeased with that comment.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storms123 View Post
In the CBS debacle, it sounded like she was told not asked, furthermore, didn't she go so far as to say the plan was to tour with Lindsey...something like that... Mick was VERY displeased with that comment.
yes, exactly.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-14-2018, 09:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Their reasoning for voting without her is suspect. Were they protecting her potential future working relationship with Lindsey? Did they go behind her back to avoid her resistance? Or, did they go behind her back before she could get to John, thus preventing her and Lindsey from blocking them?

The other thing that gets me is the language they’re using. “Lindsey will not be participating on THIS tour,” “firing is too strong a word,” and “taken leave” all suggest that whatever is going on isn’t necessarily permanent. I think Lindsey is still a member of the band, at least legally, and that he actually is only on involuntary leave, not fired. The fact that none of them, except Stevie, has been absolute in their language says a lot.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-14-2018, 09:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Their reasoning for voting without her is suspect. Were they protecting her potential future working relationship with Lindsey? Did they go behind her back to avoid her resistance? Or, did they go behind her back before she could get to John, thus preventing her and Lindsey from blocking them?

The other thing that gets me is the language they’re using. “Lindsey will not be participating on THIS tour,” “firing is too strong a word,” and “taken leave” all suggest that whatever is going on isn’t necessarily permanent. I think Lindsey is still a member of the band, at least legally, and that he actually is only on involuntary leave, not fired. The fact that none of them, except Stevie, has been absolute in their language says a lot.

I've noticed that too--could it be for legal reasons (gotta be hard to boot someone after 30+ years?)? Mick was very clear on not using the word fired. The thing that really gets me is the press release they issued "The band wishes Lindsey the best" Talk about a kick where it hurts...that was awful. Part of me thinks if they handled it better/smarter from the outset, would they be reeling in this backlash now? Who knows? But yes, I have noticed the language is suspect to say the least.
Has Stevie been absolute in her language--heard her say "She's sad" and we know she wants to twirl around her house, but has she said something so finite yet? I have admittedly tuned some stuff out--so could have missed.
Regardless--I definitely agree with you. thx!
Old 05-14-2018, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
oh i like that option. and completely possible. of course John should have called her and discuss with her too, if he was smart.

Quote:
yeah i read it that way, legally, since the first time i read their official statement. they wanted him to leave voluntarily and be out. he said no and started fighting it. i think he's still legally a member. but that may not last forever, if they didn't reach some kind of settlement and are still in legal standstill. maybe they did reach a settlement though, since they are going on with the tour, and he was telling fans on Friday he is too with his solo tour.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-14-2018, 10:38 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
There were also those audio tapes of Sara Fleetwood and Beverly Vance
Is it possible to download these tapes anywhere?
Old 05-14-2018, 11:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Is it possible to download these tapes anywhere?
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/acz...ra_%26_Beverly

Here you go! I didn't upload these, I really don't remember where I found the link I just had it saved, so props to whoever put these up! For what it's worth, they are, for the most part, really long and boring. None of them band members, just friends talking about random things with the occasional somewhat juicy tidbit. I didn't listen to the whole thing, just skipped through it.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

They probably knew Christine would be against it given all her praise she had for Lindsey last year. So that would have meant another "impasse" (as Mick put it). Stevie & Mick were for Lindsey's firing and John & Christine against. I read in an interview that Stevie & Mick had to talk John into voting with them and after that they told Christine about it. On the flip side I've heard that all hell broke loose after MusiCares and she was the first one to hop on a plane to London. Maybe that's why she didn't know any of the details. I don't know what to believe anymore. But I agree with you, it's suspect that they voted without her not to mention plain weird because she's a member of the band.

You got a sweet heart
Never will you be replaced
Old 05-15-2018, 05:27 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/acz...ra_%26_Beverly

Here you go! I didn't upload these, I really don't remember where I found the link I just had it saved, so props to whoever put these up! For what it's worth, they are, for the most part, really long and boring. None of them band members, just friends talking about random things with the occasional somewhat juicy tidbit. I didn't listen to the whole thing, just skipped through it.
Thanks for the link!
Old 05-15-2018, 09:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
I wasn't aware that she never agreed with it. So she was surprised to hear that Lindsey was fired after getting back to London.
That’s what she said. The others said they got John to vote with them to force Lindsey out.

Quote:
Does this mean that she had NO IDEA of what was going on within the band?
It might mean she didn’t know ousting Lindsey was in the cards.

Quote:
No input as to what the band should do concerning the touring schedule conflict?
We’re all only fans, and none of us are qualified to answer that question. All I’m saying is that based on all that has been said up until now, it’s pretty clear that Christine was not part of the decision to oust Lindsey, and based on the tone of what she has said, she was not especially happy about it. But, Mick and John are her family, and she’ll always pick them over the others. That’s just a reality within Fleetwood Mac, especially at this stage.

Quote:
But let me remind you, that although you seem to think that everything after '98 didn't matter, after Chris took her leave, was when Lindsey took the reins and led the band through the next 20 years. He kept them alive. I think that's an important part of the journey, considering for the most part it is why this latest incarnation of FM is around today.
You got me. SYW, EP, and a couple of oldies tours are the shining pinnacle of the legacy of Fleetwood Mac.

Quote:
Yes Lindsey does get it, and I feel that at least through comments his family has made, is that he's been screwed.
But, and this seems to be the point you’re missing, by saying “factions,” he implies that not everyone agreed with what happened. He’s implying that he doesn’t blame Christine with that statement.

Quote:
Perhaps his fans have the right to be ticked off, considering that he's no longer in a band that he's helped mold and shape, and been largely responsible for their sound since 1975.
Lindsey was lucky to have had the opportunity to join a well established band that had a solid record contract, was big enough to be getting played on the radio, was big enough to sell out places like the Fillmore, had been on national TV, was self-managed and free of external pressures, and was just under the radar enough where the label didn’t care what the band gave them. That what was left of that band was a rhythm section and a singer/songwriter used to being just a third should have been a dream come true. He basically had carte blanche within the confides of being in a band to do whatever he wanted. That’s a hell of an opportunity/outlet. The sad thing is that not only did he not appreciate it, he resented and felt held back by it.

And, what Fleetwood Mac brought to Buckingham Nicks was greater than the other way around. Christine’s songs sounded more refined with Stevie and Lindsey, which is expected, since they spent probably as much time recording that first album as they did all of the Bob Welch era albums combined, but the fundamentals of her songs weren’t that all that different. “Over My Head” could have just as easily been on HAHTF. “Rhiannon,” OTOH, went from sounding a typical bar band song with Buckingham Nicks to sounding like an epic rock masterpiece with Fleetwood Mac.

Quote:
No, not many people would leave FM. Don't you know it's all about the money! Diamonds are a girl's best friend.
If Lindsey had left after they decided to call the the album something other than Fleetwood and not fed us that “it just felt like a duet album” line of crap, I might be inclined to agree, but Lindsey is the one who said close your eyes, grab the money, and run. So, he’s not exactly pure in that regard, either.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 05-15-2018 at 09:19 PM..
Old 05-15-2018, 09:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I was thinking about the timeline...

When did Christine get back from London? Were Mick and Stevie auditioning singers and calling Mike Campbell before she even knew Lindsey was out?

Old 05-15-2018, 09:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That’s what she said. The others said they got John to vote with them to force Lindsey out.
When exactly was this said?
Old 05-15-2018, 09:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey wanted a final Fleetwood Mac album more than anyone. It's ridiculous to say he was gunning for the money from the tours. No doubt he definitely wanted the money and that had a big part, but he was the main one actually pushing to make an album and put out something new. He wanted the album for years and it didn't happen and I'm sure he was very frustrated by it.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
I was thinking about the timeline...

When did Christine get back from London? Were Mick and Stevie auditioning singers and calling Mike Campbell before she even knew Lindsey was out?
My gut feeling is that there was a huge blowout, and when they decided Lindsey was out, Mike Campbell was the first and only name thrown out, Without much though behind it. It was obvious that TPATH were heavily on Stevie’s mind from her Musicares speech.

I see it going like this.

Blowout…

Stevie: I can’t work with him anymore.

Mick: Okay, but who are we going to get on guitar?

Stevie: Let’s get Mike Campbell. He likes playing Peter Green songs.

Mick: Okay, that could be interesting.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-15-2018, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Lindsey wanted a final Fleetwood Mac album more than anyone. It's ridiculous to say he was gunning for the money from the tours. No doubt he definitely wanted the money and that had a big part, but he was the main one actually pushing to make an album and put out something new. He wanted the album for years and it didn't happen and I'm sure he was very frustrated by it.
I sympathize with him on that, but if I’m being honest, Stevie may have a point about his production style. It is fairly sui generis and not necessarily appropriate for her songs. I’ve listened to some of the demos, and I can see where she would want something more simple and straight forward. “Silver Girl” is a good example. It didn’t need to be that produced. However, she should have been more involved with that album if she wanted something different for her songs.

THE Stephen Hopkins